Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Whole WTCC 2007 SEAT Saga

http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=854

If you read this short article we know we should have at least 2 SEATs next year, but, if my understanding is correct:

It appears SEATSport is run as a wholly separate 'company' from SEAT Spain. And require the national dealers to provide support to run the cars. If this is true Tarquini and Muller have contracts with SEAT Italy/France and they are to provide funding for a further year.

As was this year SEATSport can only run 4 cars (Thompson's and Muller's cars were prepared by ORECA). Therefore there is a maximum of 2 cars left - it looks like SEAT doesnt want to use ORECA next year.

So these can be filled by the national dealers signing contracts with drivers and those providing funding, those drivers could be (past SEAT drivers)

Jason Plato - SEAT Sport UK
    Darren Turner - SEAT Sport UK
    James Thompson - SEAT Sport UK
    Rickard Rydell - SEAT Sport Sweden
    Peter Terting - SEAT Sport Germany
    Jordi Gene - SEAT Sport Spain
    Tom Coronell - SEAT Sport Nedtherlands (run as a semi-works entry in 2006)
    + any others from other national series I am unaware of

Therefore we could easily have 4 SEATs next year again

I can't see SEAT pulling out with the success they have had with the Leon in its first season.

So as of yet we are still waiting for the national dealers to finalise their budgets for next year........

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think Ceresoli (sp?) is helped out by Seat Sport Italia, although I could be completely wrong.....
    Believe the above at your own risk.......

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It says on the car Seat Sport Holland...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tin-top fan
    I think Ceresoli (sp?) is helped out by Seat Sport Italia, although I could be completely wrong.....
    GR Asia Team, not Seat Italy ;-)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think that Seat Sport will run Tarquini and Gene and are looking to find outside funding to run 2 others My bet is they will be Coronel and Mueller
    Ceresoli car has Seat Holland on it because they support the team GR Asia.His sponsorship comes from personel backers in Italy not from Seat Italia
    Just because I don't suffer from paranoia,doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamM
    It appears SEATSport is run as a wholly separate 'company' from SEAT Spain. And require the national dealers to provide support to run the cars. If this is true Tarquini and Muller have contracts with SEAT Italy/France and they are to provide funding for a further year.

As was this year SEATSport can only run 4 cars (Thompson's and Muller's cars were prepared by ORECA). Therefore there is a maximum of 2 cars left - it looks like SEAT doesnt want to use ORECA next year.

So these can be filled by the national dealers signing contracts with drivers and those providing funding, those drivers could be (past SEAT drivers)

Jason Plato - SEAT Sport UK
    Darren Turner - SEAT Sport UK
    James Thompson - SEAT Sport UK
    Rickard Rydell - SEAT Sport Sweden
    Peter Terting - SEAT Sport Germany
    Jordi Gene - SEAT Sport Spain
    Tom Coronell - SEAT Sport Nedtherlands (run as a semi-works entry in 2006)
    + any others from other national series I am unaware of

Therefore we could easily have 4 SEATs next year again

I can't see SEAT pulling out with the success they have had with the Leon in its first season.

So as of yet we are still waiting for the national dealers to finalise their budgets for next year........
    So basically who runs what Liam and what is going to happen if ORECA pulls out?

My understanding of who runs what, all exept for Muller's and Thompson's are run by SEATSport, with ORECA running Muller's and Thompson's.

My understanding of what will happen is SEATSport (who are supported & funded by dealerships) will take on ORECA's cars and much will depend on the budget of the dealerships for 2007 and who they sign contracts with.

* since the post it has come to light, Rykard Rydell and Dirk Muller who lost his place at BMW to Augustus Farfus will race with JAS in Honda Accords and SEAT will go with Tom Coronel who has more money.
    Manufacturers Champs (06'), Teams Champs (07')

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Its not a fact if ORECA pull out, the strong rumour (which looks like reality) is that SEAT want to reduce their presence in WTCC, therefore if ORECA will not be needed. All 6 cars belong to SEATSport (do they also own Coronels?). The national delears need to put a package together to fund drivers for their contracted driver(s) to race in the WTCC. But with SEATSport reducing their presence there's a lot of drivers which can fill the spaces

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I am starting to get confused. Sorry. Are you saying esentially then trimming drivers doesn't necessarily mean trimming cars?

They can run the six cars next year, just change drivers that vacated the seat when their contracts expired like Thommo's because so long as they can agree a financial support package the dealerships can fund any drivers that come in and those in contract.

I know to add to Thommo it looks like Rykard will be out. But Tom Coronel looks like replacing him, so it looks like so far one seat needs filling if the dealierships get to fund the driver coming in if they can agree a support package.
    Manufacturers Champs (06'), Teams Champs (07')

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think your misunderstanding what I'm saying ORECA never owned any Leons, SEATSport paid them to prepare and race them on behalf of them, as they wanted 6 cars, but could only support 4 in-house.

This year (dont know about 07) SEATSport only had the resources to run 4 cars. It'll probably be the same next year. But as we already know SEAT are looking to reduce their presence in WTCC, and as such will probably not run more than 4 cars. And at the minute, as far as we know only 2 drivers hold contracts for next year Tarquini and Muller. If they can run more cars (via other national delears they will - but up to a maximum which im sure only Jaime Puig(sp?) knows.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Don't forget that Coronel has been banned from running as an independent in 2007, as the WTCC powers-that-be have deemed it unfair that he should have walked away with the category in 2006.