Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    The only good thing to come out of it is hopefully they'll knock down the flea market and stick a grandstand and Redgate - hopefully no grandstands inside the Old Hairpin to ruin the view.

I reckon we could see a rotation between the two. I'd be surprised if they turn Donington into an FOM-spec facility in say 5 years.

Liked 1,263 Times in 684 Posts
    Maybe we're all missing the point and the way to hold Top class sport is to follow Bernie's example. We might see Wimbledon being held in Darlington, Cwmbran, Aberdeen - depending on a benefactor building a brand new Tennis centre with 20 new courts and a new Centre court holding 20,000.
    Or Test Cricket in the Highlands, at a brand new Test ground holding 85,000 people.
    That's what F1 is like; giving events to the highest bidder, no matter what!!

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    But to be fair Donington has a longer GP tradition than even Silverstone.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No changes to the track are needed really and hopefully they dont stick grandstands everywhere i agree that would ruin the view just improve existing grandstands and car parks etc
    Colin McRae

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BobGarage
    great news. silverstone was destroyed when they redeveloped it after 1990. its been a mikey mouse layout since.
    What's wrong with it? It still retains it's high speed status.

Copse is the new eau-rouge in today's F1 car.

The Maggots-Becketts complex is absolutely awesome. As a spectator you're literally a foot away from the first apex!

Only the final complex resembles a mickey mouse layout but still quite a challenge.

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Ah well, Bernie will be happy because he'll get the money wherever the race is held, and Max must be having a chuckle to himself at getting one over on his critics, and BRDC members, Damon Hill & Jackie Stewart.

The timing and the fact this was announced by the FIA and not FOA who normally deal with circuit/race deals suggests there is certainly quite a bit of politics behind this
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I'm a bit disappointed really, Donington is a great track (if a pain to get into) and I can't see how they'll get it up to F1 standards without ruining it.

On the other hand we may see another "Senna-esque" drive from LH if it rains...oh wait, James Allen won't be in a job by then

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    Ah well, Bernie will be happy because he'll get the money wherever the race is held, and Max must be having a chuckle to himself at getting one over on his critics, and BRDC members, Damon Hill & Jackie Stewart.

The timing and the fact this was announced by the FIA and not FOA who normally deal with circuit/race deals suggests there is certainly quite a bit of politics behind this

You can see the strings being pulled

Don't think this is a ruse as Max says the contract is signed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    christophulus
    (if a pain to get into)
    Never thought this was a problem didn't seem that hard to get to. Although only time ive been to it is on track days when less busy and did go to watch 96 RAC Rally there and that was good
    Colin McRae

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    Remember this from 1999:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/...ile/511269.stm

It never happened.

Is this latest announcement simply more politics & pressure on Silverstone?
    That was the first thing that leapt to mind for me too. I wouldn't bet against it...