Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    I see where you are coming from with the final comment Jens but, especially for McLaren, I think DC was a good second driver who could score consistently. We saw last season what can happen if 2 drivers are in direct competition so Coulthard was always a sound investment.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    end of the era for me, good luck for DC whatever he does in the future,
    GP2 Pickems Champion 2006, MotoGP Pickems Champion 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jan Yeo
    I see where you are coming from with the final comment Jens but, especially for McLaren, I think DC was a good second driver who could score consistently. We saw last season what can happen if 2 drivers are in direct competition so Coulthard was always a sound investment.
    About DC being a good second driver, then actually in some strange way it seems like he in some way could have cost McLaren two WCC's! May sound hypothetical :... but here I mean the years of 1999 and 2003.
    1999 Suzuka - DC was driving 3rd ahead of Irvine, McLaren was in position to win the WCC by one point and then... DC hit the barrier. And in 2003 DC was losing too much in qualifying and most of the time in races was fighting for minor points as team-mate Kimi was scoring podiums...

But what I agree with that up-and-including 2002 he was rarely embarrasingly off the pace compared to his team-mate, so therefore maybe McLaren wasn't in a hurry to replace him, seeing that DC was more or less able to do an 'acceptable' job.

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    i like the guy, he's been a very good driver over the years, on his day he could take it to anyone on the grid, although he didn't have enough of "his" days to ever really mount a championship challenge, but he was more than good value for his wins, poles and years in the championship.

probably the right time to call it a day, he's shown he can still put in a decent result, and prone to the odd mistake, best to get out before its just the mistakes and no results.

only Fisi and Rubens left of the proper old guard now, and i think we'll probably lose at least one more of them at the end of the year
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    About DC being a good second driver, then actually in some strange way it seems like he in some way could have cost McLaren two WCC's! May sound hypothetical :... but here I mean the years of 1999 and 2003.
    1999 Suzuka - DC was driving 3rd ahead of Irvine, McLaren was in position to win the WCC by one point and then... DC hit the barrier.

On the same token it can be said that McLaren would not have been in the position to claim the WCC in 1999 if it wasn't for DC.

I was in the Priory stand at Silverstone and had a great view of Mika Hakkinen's wheel coming off. The other memorable event of that particular race was Michael Schumacher breaking his leg. With the 2 leading drivers out of the race it was most important that the number 2's stepped up. DC did and won the race.

David has been a great driver and ambassador for the sport in general. I hope that he moves into F1 administration and takes over the whole show. Bernie should simply hand DC the keys and let him run F1 for the next 30 years...

Good luck David.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    David Coulthard has been a good driver over his Formula 1 career thoroughly deserving of his place on the grid and all his wins. He was never going to be a championship challenger but on his day he could beat anyone. I hope DC has a great last half a season in F1.
    Blackadder! Blackadder! With many a cunning plan,
    Blackadder! Blackadder! You horrid little man.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A shame we will lose one of the great f1 drivers, its been a pleasure to watch his driving talent and his non driving talent over the years crashing into the nearest car available at times : But i think hes been really good for the sport. Will never forget when he came 3rd at Monaco a few years ago. Brilliant Drive. Saying that, i do agree that his time probably has come so i wish him good luck for whatever he plans to do
    If England ever perform at a World Cup, make sure you wake me up :p:
    Steven Gerrard- Modern Day Hero (On his day :p: )

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thank God! Get DC out of a racing seat and Vettel the wheel to a better car.

I'm really happy about this news because I believe Vettel can sparkle next season.
    Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011

Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
    Well, the average age of the grid just went down.

I guess 2009 really won't be DC's year!
    Forza Ferrari!!

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    I'm so sad to see DC go. This really is an end of an era.

He was a true gentleman, and was one of the few who spoke his mind in the interviews. His commentary column on ITV was informative.

Nevertheless, the writing was on the wall and it's great to see him retire at will, and not do a Ralf and be rejected by Force India.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aRhDQ5LVeL8

Enjoy the rest of your life DC. We'll miss you
    Iceman: Adjective 1)Rapid, swift 2)Nickname of Kimi-Matias Räikkönen, a legendary Formula 1 driver