Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If there was a 4WD version of your model in the range, you could use it. Either as 4WD or with the drive to the front wheels disconnected and it became a RWD car. Vauxhall tried this first in 1990 with a second Cavalier. It was said to be "the best balanced racing car I've ever driven" by either Chris Hodgetts or John Cleland, I can't remember, but it lacked power among other things.

Ford didn't enter until midway through 1993 because they had to redesign the car as a front wheel drive one. They found they lost too much power when sending it to the rear wheels, as well as increased weight which would have made it uncompetitive. However in 1995, the German works Mondeo team did run full 4WD cars, but they never really had any success. Charlie Cox had a 4WD hatchback built when he recovered from his accident, but I can't remember if they ever ran it in 4WD form or just FWD.
    You lot still here?!

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain
    If there was a 4WD version of your model in the range, you could use it. Either as 4WD or with the drive to the front wheels disconnected and it became a RWD car.
    Same sort of rule for engines, wasn't it? Manufacturers could use any engine from their model range, hence Ford using the Mazda-developed V6 from the Probe as the basis for the Mondeo's engine.

Ford didn't enter until midway through 1993 because they had to redesign the car as a front wheel drive one. They found they lost too much power when sending it to the rear wheels, as well as increased weight which would have made it uncompetitive.
    They also, if I remember rightly, tested a four-cylinder version.

Charlie Cox had a 4WD hatchback built when he recovered from his accident, but I can't remember if they ever ran it in 4WD form or just FWD.
    I'm sure the car never raced in 4wd form.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    How on earth do you think that a 2 litre Leon could beat a v6 Vectra around a track. There is a video on youtube somewhere where Gio knocks the socks off Turkington in a Beemer in the v6 Vectra.
    Dont believe all the codswollop TopGear tells you.
    Drivers’01,’02,’03,’04,’07,’08
    Manufacturers’01,’02,’03,’04,’05,’07,’08 Teams’01,’02,’03,’04,’08.

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Years back (the 3 team season I think) the BBC did a thing using a BTCC Mondeo, a road going mondeo and a Fiesta (???) around Donnington. Each car set off at 20 second (or whatever) intervals with the small car first, then the road car, then the touring car. Needless to say the touring car still walked it.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jan Yeo
    Years back (the 3 team season I think) the BBC did a thing using a BTCC Mondeo, a road going mondeo and a Fiesta (???) around Donnington. Each car set off at 20 second (or whatever) intervals with the small car first, then the road car, then the touring car. Needless to say the touring car still walked it.
    Clarkson did that in one of his videos as well. He was in a Ford Cougar, Colin McRae in the Ford Focus WRC99 and Johnny Herbert in the Stewart-Ford SF3. The Stewart pipped the Focus and Cougar at the line. But then that's not really relevant to the thread. Thought I'd mention it though.
    You lot still here?!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VX_Rules
    How on earth do you think that a 2 litre Leon could beat a v6 Vectra around a track. There is a video on youtube somewhere where Gio knocks the socks off Turkington in a Beemer in the v6 Vectra.
    Dont believe all the codswollop TopGear tells you.
    That was at the Brands hatch season launch this year, altough I believe the BMW was only a 320. They also did a WTCC one, which was a total mismatch with Rob huff in a road going Lacetti up against andy Priaulx in his full WTCC BMW! even giving Rob a rolling head start while he did a stationary one, Andy was still finishing well ahead by the line!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Vectra vs. 320(?)
    Lacetti vs. Full on WTCC 320si

(Holbon's images)

Strange looking cars, being in full livery yet so high off the ground!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Fabrizio went round Thruxton quicker in his VXR Vectra than his race car, something to do with more bhp in road car than race car, this was last year by the way.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Although Gio now has an Antara not a Vectra :P

But Tom has an Astra VXR and im sure that would be just as up to the match.
    Drivers’01,’02,’03,’04,’07,’08
    Manufacturers’01,’02,’03,’04,’05,’07,’08 Teams’01,’02,’03,’04,’08.