Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: S2000+ (r5)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power
    When will they decide
    Not a second sooner than they are forced to by the manufactures… Give the FIA the boot, we need a new sanctioning committee!!!

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Any bets against that S2000 will be the car also in WRC from 2010 ?

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Saabaru
    I agree but something needs to be done to lower the price so more manufacturers will be more inclined to participate on the sport. If people want to see non turbo cars all they have to do is watch the IRC. WRC is the premier form of rally and turbo's are the best way to get more power from smaller lighter engines and thats the way it should stay.
    Why does premier = turbos, then? You may watch rallying because you see it as a technological exercise but thankfully not everyone does. I don't agree that turbos should be banned full stop, because there should be room for a variety of configurations, but neither are they a panacea.

Personal opinion that not everyone shares. Want to make them beasts, get rid of the 300bhp rule. And why dose so many people think they are boring? They are faster than ever before, is it because they are not sliding around every curve sideways? Because if it is that's what you call drifting and they have those competitions as well, but it isn't rally.
    Why not make every event a series of drag races, then? That isn't rallying either. Again, you offer no solutions as to how the WRC can become more competitive and attractive again. It becomes a pointless exercise if nobody cares.

Again, if you think they are boring today let them do something like this and see how bad it gets.
    I assume you didn't like F2 cars, then, because they weren't some sort of undefinable 'pinnacle'? In what sense were they less exciting to watch than 4wd GpA cars or WRCs? I think your vision for the sport is a bit soulless and devoid of interest for anyone other than the few people who are concerned about rallying's place in the technological pantheon.

Liked 1,252 Times in 681 Posts
    Why are people so hung up about the technological side of the WRC? Yes, all very interesting and fantastic - but it's not solving the problem of the future - if indeed any - of the WRC. I keep banging on about cheap, easily accessible cars for Manufacturers and Privateers to use. In an ideal world there would be say e;g 6/7 Makes all with 2/3 drivers, not including Satellite/Privateers.
    As far as I'm concerned, the F2 cars were fantastic - 1996-2000 BRC was something else - the commitment awesome, and the sound.
    The regs should allow for diversity - Turbo, N/A, FWD, 4WD, RWD,etc, oh but get rid of paddle-shift gears, electronics, anything that adds uneccessarily to the cost.
    Finally, seeing as LeMans Series and F1 have talked about KERS/Biofuel/Hybrids, shouldn't Rallying adopt something similar? Cost permitting?

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    Finally, seeing as LeMans Series and F1 have talked about KERS/Biofuel/Hybrids, shouldn't Rallying adopt something similar? Cost permitting?
    Why not? However, I would say that now we know biofuels as they are mainly produced to be wasteful of resources, interest in them as an alternative fuel is likely to wane until they become truly sustainable. The ones based on algae seem like a good option at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    Why not? However, I would say that now we know biofuels as they are mainly produced to be wasteful of resources, interest in them as an alternative fuel is likely to wane until they become truly sustainable. The ones based on algae seem like a good option at the moment.

While I'm no technical/mechanical expert, I'm surprised that there are no Diesel WRCars. Isn't it worth experimenting? Shouldn't the F1A be encouraging this? I'm sure I've read that to produce similar levels of power a large engine would be needed, but I may be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    While I'm no technical/mechanical expert, I'm surprised that there are no Diesel WRCars. Isn't it worth experimenting? Shouldn't the F1A be encouraging this? I'm sure I've read that to produce similar levels of power a large engine would be needed, but I may be wrong.
    I suppose the problem is maintaining a level playing field. The experience of the WTCC and BTCC with the SEAT TDis demonstrates this. What's required to keep things even and competitive is a fairly restrictive set of technical regs that nonetheless still allow cars of a variety of configurations to take part in a worthwhile manner. Surely this isn't beyond the wit of the powers that be?

I suppose the problem is maintaining a level playing field. The experience of the WTCC and BTCC with the SEAT TDis demonstrates this. What's required to keep things even and competitive is a fairly restrictive set of technical regs that nonetheless still allow cars of a variety of configurations to take part in a worthwhile manner. Surely this isn't beyond the wit of the powers that be?
    Well, as the powers that be are the F1A, I would suggest it is beyond their wit...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Why does premier = turbos, then? You may watch rallying because you see it as a technological exercise but thankfully not everyone does. I don't agree that turbos should be banned full stop, because there should be room for a variety of configurations, but neither are they a panacea.

Why not make every event a series of drag races, then? That isn't rallying either. Again, you offer no solutions as to how the WRC can become more competitive and attractive again. It becomes a pointless exercise if nobody cares.

I assume you didn't like F2 cars, then, because they weren't some sort of undefinable 'pinnacle'? In what sense were they less exciting to watch than 4wd GpA cars or WRCs? I think your vision for the sport is a bit soulless and devoid of interest for anyone other than the few people who are concerned about rallying's place in the technological pantheon.
    I got more to the point than you did, care to be a little more specific?

Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts
    Is the idea that the only place you can drive a R5 car is in the WRC ?

Regional and national series can only use R4 and below. Reason: Keep cost down.

Is this a way forward ? I know that FIA with current rules have challenges to restrict national authorities to not using WRCcars.
    But that aside - is it a good idea ?