Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 1,252 Times in 681 Posts

DTM vs Super 2000

Following on from the German Touring Car thread, I was just wondering what are people's opinions on the differences between the 2 regulations. I do agree that the DTM cars aren't 'Tourers', but why do they keep building these' Silhouette Racers'? No other country does, I've never understood why they have to be different.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    You could say the same about the V8s in Australia. They are just popular there. In the UK we have always been more fond of a mix of cars. I would actually rather watch an S2000 race than a DTM race, because I'm not obsessed with the power of the cars.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well, i actually believe you are asking about S2000 VS Silhouette cars, in the case old DTM(until 1992) era only allow high modified GroupA cars, not like now, Prototype cars covered with wide saloon car bodies.
    So S2000 is high modified cars derived from S. Production rules.

Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    You could say the same about the V8s in Australia. They are just popular there. In the UK we have always been more fond of a mix of cars. I would actually rather watch an S2000 race than a DTM race, because I'm not obsessed with the power of the cars.
    While the DTM has Audi, Mercedes and Opel, the Aussie V8's just have Holden and Ford. While I think they are better cars, I think the S2000's have more variety of Manufacturers, which I think, ultimately, is better.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    Following on from the German Touring Car thread, I was just wondering what are people's opinions on the differences between the 2 regulations. I do agree that the DTM cars aren't 'Tourers', but why do they keep building these' Silhouette Racers'? No other country does, I've never understood why they have to be different.
    The DTM is a bit of a showpiece for the German Motor Industry (well Merc and Audi anyway) a bit of a look what we can do exercise. S2000 regulations are rather restrictive in what it allows teams to do with the cars

EDIT: The regulations allow a lot of Manufacturers to enter their cars without spending a lot of money which is why we have seen S2000 becoming a relative sucess

Quote Originally Posted by LiamM
    The DTM is a bit of a showpiece for the German Motor Industry (well Merc and Audi anyway) a bit of a look what we can do exercise. S2000 regulations are rather restrictive in what it allows teams to do with the cars

EDIT: The regulations allow a lot of Manufacturers to enter their cars without spending a lot of money which is why we have seen S2000 becoming a relative sucess
    I thought as so, but I would imagine it's quite expensive for what is a 'Domestic' series.

Quote Originally Posted by LiamM
    The DTM is a bit of a showpiece for the German Motor Industry (well Merc and Audi anyway) a bit of a look what we can do exercise.
    And now, it seems, giving ex-F1 drivers cars that are powerful enough to satisfy them when their GP days are over.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Super GTs in Japan uses silhouettes. The new Skyline GTR uses the same 350z chassis.

Silhouettes ensures more parity and easy to regulate and give certain cars extra help where necessary eg. Audi TTs in DTM, single template in NASCAR.

The problem with something like S2000 there's a grey area regarding homolagation. There was a huge fuss over the Alfa Romeo bodykits in early 90s BTCC because aero aids were forbidden. I'm surprised its been relatively quiet regarding VXR's front bumpers.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Aero aids weren't forbidden back then, it was controversial because the wings and splitters could be adjusted. They got round that issue by supplying extra pieces for the rear wing with the 155 Silverstone roadcar. Then by 1995, fixed rear wings were mandatory, so Alfa struggled with the 155 from then on, as it's main advantage had been taken away.

There's no real issue with VXR's bumpers. They have to make a certain number of roadcars with these parts available, but it doesn't mean they actually have to be sold to the public.
    You lot still here?!

Quote Originally Posted by Iain
    Aero aids weren't forbidden back then, it was controversial because the wings and splitters could be adjusted.
    And because other teams felt it was unfair, largely because some (Renault and BMW, if I remember rightly) had cocked up their homologation of wings and the rest hadn't done anything.