Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Showcasing new technology is what the American Le Mans Series (or "Le Mans" itself) is for. You start changing NASCAR from what it is into what another racing series is, and it will be a ghost of itself in no time.

To successfully change itself into a series that ran new technology among different manufacturers, NASCAR would have to implement equivalency formulas such as the do in ALMS/Le Mans, things such as different air intake restrictions, different rev-limits, and different fuel capacities between the manufacturers. NASCAR fans squealed bloody murder back when NASCAR would have such small differences between manufacturers as a quarter of an inch on the front air dams.

Try telling the Dale Earnhardt, Jr. fans that his Chevy has to have a smaller restrictor plate and 2 less gallons of fuel than Carl Edwards Ford. HAHA
    DVR . . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roy
    Showcasing new technology is what the American Le Mans Series (or "Le Mans" itself) is for. You start changing NASCAR from what it is into what another racing series is, and it will be a ghost of itself in no time.

To successfully change itself into a series that ran new technology among different manufacturers, NASCAR would have to implement equivalency formulas such as the do in ALMS/Le Mans, things such as different air intake restrictions, different rev-limits, and different fuel capacities between the manufacturers. NASCAR fans squealed bloody murder back when NASCAR would have such small differences between manufacturers as a quarter of an inch on the front air dams.

Try telling the Dale Earnhardt, Jr. fans that his Chevy has to have a smaller restrictor plate and 2 less gallons of fuel than Carl Edwards Ford. HAHA
    I wasn’t talking about changing the dynamics of the car, just the power plant. And as long as everyone had the same homologation rules to begin with the cars could be built with the level playing field NASCAR has been based on for years. Any performance research could be shared to keep an even field.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Alternative fuel wouldn't be a problem, as long is its not Ethanol (biggest bunch of BS ever) and everyone uses the same stuff. I don't think any kind of hybrid motor would be a good idea... as soon as you put computers & batteries & regeneration... the Nascar concept kinda falls apart. Leave it for the sports cars, with the fancy equalization formulas & multiple classes.

On a semi-related subject, I think a formula racing series with really wide open rules would be fun, where the one limiting factor would be the a carefully limited amount of fuel you could use to finish the race. You could see a lot of different stategies & car designs.
    N.Hayden L.Hamilton D.Earnhardt R.Gordon S.Speed T.Stewart J.P.Montoya G.Rahal Ferrari Lotus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yeah, NASCAR won't adopt hybrids for 20 or 30 years. Once they realize a computer is involved, they'll freak out.

I made a lolcat for this but I can't find it. I think it's on my other computer.

racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Found it.

racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    It's not about showcasing. It's about doing something about a worldwide problem.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Hybrid would not really work in racing cars. On the road it gets its power from unused engine revs when slowing down etc. But if you are racing flat out it will not help much.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_andrew
    Found it.

ARRRGGGHHH. NO LOLcats on motorsportsforums!!!! I want you banned! :-)
    N.Hayden L.Hamilton D.Earnhardt R.Gordon S.Speed T.Stewart J.P.Montoya G.Rahal Ferrari Lotus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Saabaru
    With the cost of fuel rising and companies producing more fuel efficient cars, should companies use NASCAR as a research platform to advance alternative fuel cars?

Quote Originally Posted by Saabaru
    Any performance research could be shared to keep an even field.
    I really doubt that Toyota, Ford, GM and Chrysler would be happy about sharing their research.
    DVR . . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I really doubt that Toyota, Ford, GM and Chrysler would be happy about sharing their research.
    Ok no research, stick with the same homologation platform you begin with. There is nothing from Chevrolet Ford or Toyota in those cars anyway. Only a sticker on the front of the car.