Yes children, that wonderful time of year is upon us. I've been looking forward to it, and I'm sure Stan hates it.

For the most part I'm going to build on the ideas I used in last year's thread. I've had some time to think about what cars I would like to see in a possible breakaway series so I've worked those into this thread.

http://www.motorsportforums.com/foru....php?t=116341&

Sprint Cup:

I'm going to keep with the Daytona Prototype based engines (sans rev limiters) and maybe with increased compression so they'll produce about 700 horsepower (down about 85 horsepower from the current engines). Then I'll lighten the cars by 400lbs rather than 200lbs so while they're less powerful, they'll have a better power to weight ratio.

I'll raise the roof from 53 to 57 inches (to add drag). The bodies will be silhouettes of production cars with a 110 inch wheelbase. Instead of one single sheet metal shell, several fiberglass pannels will make up the body so they may be easily changed. Cars will be wind tunnel tested to ensure they all have roughly equal downforce and drag. Reward weight will be used if one vehicle becomes too dominant. A four-link independent rear suspension will replace the two-link live axle.

The rear wing will be similar in shape to the Daytona and Superbird wing. It will mount to the decklid as a straight single-element and be adjustable. The splitter will mount to the airdam and the airdam is placed where it would appear on the production version of the car.

The oil tank would be moved from behind the drivers seat to the "passsenger's seat". The fuel tank will then be moved from below the trunk to behind the driver's seat. As the cockpit is the most protected part of the car, this would help protect the fuel tank. The fuel intake port would be in front of the rear tire. An onboard pneumatic jack would be used to replace the jackman (for safety purposes).

Goodyear would only make 3 sets of tires: soft, medium, and hard. Soft tires would be used at short tracks and road courses, hard tires would be used at Pocono, Indy, plate tracks, and Darlington, and medium tires everywhere else. Since the left side tires are softer at ovals, just the right side specification tires would be used at road courses. Groved tires would be used at plate tracks to reduce grip (thus reduce cornering speed).

Nationwide Series:

Get rid of it! Replace it with a much expanded Whelen Modified Tour. Use modified DP engines again to achieve 600 horsepower and require engines to last two race weekends.

Point system:

Throw the baby out with the bathwater! Get rid of the chase and replace the old system with my 200, 173, 162, 154... system.

The 30 fastest cars on time qualify for a race. 31-38 will hold the cars with the most owner's points not in the race by order of speed. And the field size will be reduced from 43 to 38.