Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well, I'm just going to tune in and watch the bodyguard thugs go against the day trippers coach party, live in Canberra tomorrow. Might make Play of the Day on Sports Tonight...

Liked 677 Times in 473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    So what? Isn't that what a discussion forum is about, or was it your wish to start a thread in which people just agreed that the protestors' behaviour was disgraceful, without any mention of the issues surrounding the protests?
    I agree that some diversion from the base topic is to be expected, but not so broad that every evil or wrongdoing of the country in question should be taken as fact, especially when people living in that country state otherwise.

You can find injustices in virtually every country on the globe, especially if dealing with past actions.

I have no problem with peaceful protests that any person feels valid as reason to protest. But I dislike that they use the Olympics as a means to further their views. These same people could protest at embassies around the globe and get just as much exposure.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter
    I have no problem with peaceful protests that any person feels valid as reason to protest. But I dislike that they use the Olympics as a means to further their views. These same people could protest at embassies around the globe and get just as much exposure.
    They've been doing that for ages. No one gave a ****.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    I have no problem with peaceful protests that any person feels valid as reason to protest. But I dislike that they use the Olympics as a means to further their views.
    Why? As I said earlier, the IOC has done enough to tarnish the Olympic ideals by itself, without anyone else assisting it.

These same people could protest at embassies around the globe and get just as much exposure.
    No they wouldn't. As Daniel says, there have been human rights protests about China for years. I think there's a bit of naivety about news values here.

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    The event went without any major confrontations. It was interesting that a group of Chinese witnessed the burning of the Chinese Communist Party flag (Not the flag of China) with much interest but with virtually no emotion.
    My take on that is while the Chinese love their country, they don't have the same feelings for the Chinese Communist Party.

The guy who lit the flag was arrested.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by leopardsleeping
    ...., while they can also learn from Timor Leste that independence may lead into internal chaos after deciding to get separated from their former landlady.
    If Indonesia would leave East Timor alone and not be stirring up trouble then it would be best for all. But like a spoilt brat they (Indonesia) don't like being told what to do.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    I'm not in Canberra at the moment, can not say that I am really sorry not to miss scenes like this:

Alastair Paterson says he and his seven-year-old daughter were standing on Limestone Avenue next to a small group which included a woman with a homemade banner saying 'Free Tibet'.
    He says as the torch passed by a gang of people with Chinese flags and sticks ran past.
    "One bloke lined me up and kicked me and as I turned around he ran away," he said.
    "I took a step towards him and three or four others said 'Come on, Come on'. They wanted to fight me.
    "The woman's husband got hit across the head with a stick. The woman got jostled. The banner got torn down and they basically ran off."

"We walked a bit further down. There was a man there with two young boys about three and four years old with a small little flag saying 'Free Tibet.'
    "They got jostled, his flag got torn off by this, basically the same gang running through."
    One caller to ABC Radio in Canberra complained that pro-Chinese demonstrators have been overly aggressive in Commonwealth Park, where the torch relay finished.
    "They're shouting slogans, we're scared, we have to leave because we're scared," one caller said.
    "We can't go into a crowd like that with our grandchildren.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...24/2226324.htm

If the pro china thugs can do this in Canberra I would hate to be a Tibetan protester in Lhasa!!!

Also reported is that China has barred foreigners from Tibet for the Everest part of the route.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...section=justin

Shame China, Shame................

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Camelopard
    I'm not in Canberra at the moment, can not say that I am really sorry not to miss scenes like this:

Alastair Paterson says he and his seven-year-old daughter were standing on Limestone Avenue next to a small group which included a woman with a homemade banner saying 'Free Tibet'.
    He says as the torch passed by a gang of people with Chinese flags and sticks ran past.
    "One bloke lined me up and kicked me and as I turned around he ran away," he said.
    "I took a step towards him and three or four others said 'Come on, Come on'. They wanted to fight me.
    "The woman's husband got hit across the head with a stick. The woman got jostled. The banner got torn down and they basically ran off."

"We walked a bit further down. There was a man there with two young boys about three and four years old with a small little flag saying 'Free Tibet.'
    "They got jostled, his flag got torn off by this, basically the same gang running through."
    One caller to ABC Radio in Canberra complained that pro-Chinese demonstrators have been overly aggressive in Commonwealth Park, where the torch relay finished.
    "They're shouting slogans, we're scared, we have to leave because we're scared," one caller said.
    "We can't go into a crowd like that with our grandchildren.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...24/2226324.htm

If the pro china thugs can do this in Canberra I would hate to be a Tibetan protester in Lhasa!!!

Also reported is that China has barred foreigners from Tibet for the Everest part of the route.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...section=justin

Shame China, Shame................
    You lie!

These things never happened! Never! Never you hear! The Chinese government doesn't sanction violence against people who speak out against it. It simply can't have happened.

It's such a pity the Australian government didn't coach in a coachloads of bogans and perhaps some Lebanese youths. I'm sure they would have dealt with these jokers appropriately They would have realised that they shouldn't fight rather than fighting among themselves.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Well, I was delighted to see yesterday that part of the torch relay passed off without incident, with joyous crowds lining the route and celebrating the Olympics as the torch made its glorious way through a country that is a proud member of the Olympic movement.

In case you didn't see it, this country was that great bastion of freedom, North Korea.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    You lie!

These things never happened! Never! Never you hear! The Chinese government doesn't sanction violence against people who speak out against it. It simply can't have happened.

It's such a pity the Australian government didn't coach in a coachloads of bogans and perhaps some Lebanese youths. I'm sure they would have dealt with these jokers appropriately They would have realised that they shouldn't fight rather than fighting among themselves.
    A good traditional Aussie biffo. That would make a good Olympic event too. Kills two birds with one stone.