Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gasoline???

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gasoline???

See attached link.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...1/s1828320.htm

It's wrong isn't it?? Indycars have been running on METHANOL, NOT Gasoline.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You are correct.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yes they have been using Menthanol since the 60s. (There was a famous oops story circulated during the first gas crisis. Some official from DOT contacted IMS asking them to conserve gasoline and drop 100 miles from Indy 500. They responded we haven't used any gas for a decade.)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    its the ABC ... (Australian version not the yank one), they wouldnt know what the IRL is, they probably think the 'indycar series' is champcar... so take any errors from them with a grain of salt
    Sir! While I disagree with what you are saying, I will fight to the death your right to spell the words incorerctly and use heinous.. grammar yo !!!

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    this year, the IRL is going to Ethanol. No real difference really. Still the same issue with the invisible flame if it catchs fire but hey, water puts it out too.

I love the DOT idiot trying to take 100 miles off the 500. Typical bloody bureaucrat, thinking 33 cars on a race track would make a difference. Also him not knowing what the cars burned. With great minds like that (every country has them) I am shocked we have evolved past the invention of the wheel.....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    Typical bloody bureaucrat, thinking 33 cars on a race track would make a difference.

The NFL is responsible for much more fuel consumption than racing in the U.S.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Z man, you have that right. Have you also noticed that the Hollywood types who think nothing about telling us about the evils of global warming and how green they are when they show up a the Academy Awards in their Prius think nothing of chartering private jets???

Hypocracy has always been alive and well in the people looking for everyone else to cut back...
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This seems to be the time of year people get confused writing about things they know nothing about. The Arizona Business Journal reported that the Phoenix CC race would be "the first major race" not using gasoline, lessening "carbon dioxide emissions." Dumb and dumber.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesi
    Yes they have been using Menthanol since the 60s. (There was a famous oops story circulated during the first gas crisis. Some official from DOT contacted IMS asking them to conserve gasoline and drop 100 miles from Indy 500. They responded we haven't used any gas for a decade.)

Funny I was just read about that. It was supposed to be exclusive use of methanol after Sachs-MacDonald crash. But it seems that USAC would look the other way on the use of gasoline until the first gas crisis. But during and after enforced it's use 100%.

The other funny thing is why didn't DOT call NASCAR to shorten the Daytona 500 or the Coca-Cola 600? Seems weird but that the government for you.
    The Only True Triple Crown Winner-- Al Unser Sr. 1978- Indy 500, Pocono 500, Ontario 500

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    The trucks driving between each venue and the flights taken, add up to far more fuel than used by the cars themselves. That applies to all major race series.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums