Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    My home is a sanctuary for my spirit, where my soul can touch base with its source, Almighty God.
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcot
    I agree, but I'd expand it to say that all major sports personalities are arrogant to some degree (with a few exceptions.) Let's hope that as he matures, his arrogance will be tempered.
    Is it arrogance or self-confidence?
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." —Robert Heinlein

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by agwiii
    Is it arrogance or self-confidence?
    The only difference between the two is perception.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

My home is a sanctuary for my spirit, where my soul can touch base with its source, Almighty God.
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    The only difference between the two is perception.
    Plus how you wear it on your persona. I think they all must be extremely confident.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." —Robert Heinlein

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    I remember Martin Brundle saying on many occasions that F1 drivers have to be self confident in what they are doing, otherwise you aren't going to get any results.

He often spoke about top drivers (i.e. not him ) having such self belief that they knew they were going to win the race, to the extent that they wouldn't always seem that happy to win because well, they expected to win so it's not a surprise.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    I remember Martin Brundle saying on many occasions that F1 drivers have to be self confident in what they are doing, otherwise you aren't going to get any results.

He often spoke about top drivers (i.e. not him ) having such self belief that they knew they were going to win the race, to the extent that they wouldn't always seem that happy to win because well, they expected to win so it's not a surprise.
    Absolutely correct! I think people whose career puts them in harms way must be supremely confident -- a doubt could create a mistake. Ayrton believed that God intended him to win -- I can think of no greater sense of confidence than to believe your success in racing was part of God's mission.

Liked 678 Times in 474 Posts
    I don't think he is arrogant. With all the press surrounding these guys, it's surprising they don't stick their feet in their mouths more often.

To suceed at the level they are competing, they must be confident, and show confidence in their teams by making sometimes bold statements.

Had Alonso made the same statements in the past couple of years and finished at the back of the pack, they would hound him for that also. Similar to the way they do DC.

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    should he have said: "Actually I think Mclaren is a pretty weak team and we stand no chance. I surely miss Renault and regret this stupid move!"? That doesn't sound "sane" to me. I think it's part of their duty to say how well they think they'll do... that's what fans want to hear... and sponsors even more. IMO.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcot
    I agree, but I'd expand it to say that all major sports personalities are arrogant to some degree (with a few exceptions.) Let's hope that as he matures, his arrogance will be tempered.
    Sato is not either, he will give time to ne one
    Mystery strikes again!

Quote Originally Posted by mstillhere
    There is no article in which the journalists don't feel obligated to mention that Alonso has won the worldchampioship twice.
    Well, he is a Double World Champion, so it is very likely that every journalist will refer to him at some point as such.

It would only be arrogant if Alonso insisted that they wrote "soon to be Triple World Champion".

But he hasn't, so he isn't.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Not only he's not arrogant, but he has been quite a humble person. Regardless of success he still has a lot of respect for rivals, and insists that without maximum effort from him and his team success cannot be achieved.

And besides not being arrogant he is quite realistic of his duty, and has no problem in admitting that after such a change, there could be no honest aim but to do it again. He might succed or not, but he's out there to take honors or failure, no excuses.

Cheers
    David
    Take the pedal to the metal