Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts

Brands to celebrate 50 years of BTCC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/7258230.stm

Fifty years after the first ever British Touring Cars Championship, Brands Hatch is planning to recreate the thrilling finale of 1958.

The inaugural season ended with a two-driver shootout on the Indy circuit in Kent to decide the title.

Jack Sears and Tommy Sopwith had finished the season level on points, and Sears went on to take the crown.

The two drivers will recreate their battle as part of the build-up to the season opener at Brands Hatch in March.

Both men are now in their 70s. Reflecting on his victory, Sears said: "The day really captured people's
    Jack Sears and Tommy Sopwith at the start of the shootout
    The first season came to a shootout between Jack Sears and Tommy Sopwith (BTCC)
    imaginations. People still come up to me and say 'I was at Brands when you and Tommy had that shootout'."

Fifty years on, the BTCC has grown into one of the county's most watched motorsports, with millions of viewers in the UK and worldwide.

To recreate the shootout Brands Hatch is looking for anyone involved back on 5 October 1958 - either as a spectator or someone working at the circuit. To share memories of that day contact the circuit on 01474 875205.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What a great idea shame I'm miles to young to remember it but would love to see the re-creation of it and how fitting that both drivers are still with us and able to join in Fantastic....
    Silence is Golden!......JP in a TD...CHAMPION!!!