Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Computer games cause university shooting

I wasn't going to put this in the real thread for the NIU shootings because it just shouldn't be in there. Jack Thompson is a moron who believes that violent computer games and in particular one called Counter Strike cause people to go on murderous rampages with guns. It goes without saying that this guy is a lawyer.

Link
    http://www.dailytech.com/Videogames+...ticle10734.htm

Videos of this halfwit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd0pbuhsQQE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XtWV...eature=related

When will people learn that the only person is responsible for someone's actions is themselves. I've played violent games for a good part of my life and never gone out and gunned someone down In fact I'd say that playing violent games has caused me to be a more calm person in real life

I'm all for things that keep kids occupied and stop them for getting bored.

I better shut up now before Jack Thompson sues me.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    I agree absolutely with you. While the media can undoubtedly influence people's opinions, placing the blame for violence on things like this is just ridiculous.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    I agree absolutely with you. While the media can undoubtedly influence people's opinions, placing the blame for violence on things like this is just ridiculous.
    I just thought of something weird. In all the Jack Thompson videos on the net I've never actually once seem him call for tighter gun control. Weird huh? Well I spose it's harder to sue Smith & Wesson than it is to sue Rockstar Games perhaps? Or am I just getting cynical in my old age?

Thankfully a lot of the media coverage towards Jack Thompson has been negative but I guess anytime they present him even in a negative light that's probably a good thing for him.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Yeah but video games can influence people. I used to drive cars on Colin McRae Rally and now I drive cars in real life. Also I have been known to walk about on GTA and you'll never guess what I've done today, yup, I went for a walk. It's shocking what computer games can do to you.

Also films I saw Taxi and ended up listening to French rap music, JUST LIKE THEY DO IN THE FILM hock:
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I used to play Manic Miner as a kid. Can't say it ever affected me, but my lawn's in a bloody mess

Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jan Yeo
    Yeah but video games can influence people. I used to drive cars on Colin McRae Rally and now I drive cars in real life. Also I have been known to walk about on GTA and you'll never guess what I've done today, yup, I went for a walk. It's shocking what computer games can do to you.

Also films I saw Taxi and ended up listening to French rap music, JUST LIKE THEY DO IN THE FILM hock:
    The man's a maniac!

I drove my 406 down a skislope the other day just because I saw it done in Taxi 3

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts

What I've seen in films has influenced my life to such an extent that I now live it in black and white, speaking nothing but French.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Big fan of Counter Strike Condition Zero. No muderous rampages here. I do like to goof a bit though. If any of you run up against a buzzsaw named maquis, you'll now know who slew you!
    I work for profit!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Breeze
    Big fan of Counter Strike Condition Zero. No muderous rampages here. I do like to goof a bit though. If any of you run up against a buzzsaw named maquis, you'll now know who slew you!
    I used to love the original CS But then I played online a few times and the average ages of the players was about 12 and that kind of stopped me playing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The taxi films are brilliant, a silent hit, I think.

And on the serious stuff, I don't really believe it. If you are just spending all your time on the internet and computer playing Counter strike and GTA and nothing else, there might be a problem. Otherwise for the rest of us it's not really dangerous.