Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Just Curious

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jso1985
    I think European national identities are too strong to one day everyone be called "just" European
    Too Late!
    We already do.

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Sure you do.

And in Latin America they speak Latin... expect in Mexico where they speak Mexican, right?
    Another Flying Finn

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    Er... no, we won't. Rumours of the demise of European nation states are greatly exaggerated. And no-one I know, no matter how pro-European they are, wants that as the end result. Do you think the French would be willing to give up their national sovereignty? Or, for that matter, the Germans, the Spaniards or the Dutch? I don't think so.
    well the dutch did - they went muslim
    Obama to Biden - "Let the Welfare checks rain upon the Earth - I am going to a barbecue"

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodeye
    I think what Zico meant was that the rest of the world will see us as Europeans.

But it's true that the national identities will remain whether there's EU or not. There used to be a country called Yugoslavia that collapsed because it had too many national identities under one flag. Anyway, you can add Finns to your list. Not a chance that we will be just europeans, if that means that we could be mistaken being Swedes...
    But Finland is half Swedish anyway, isn't it, after all road signs are bilingual and where is Hesingfors and for that matter Åbo? Then there is Åland, closer to Sweden than Finland , he says whilst stirring the pot .

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fousto
    well the dutch did - they went muslim
    I guess that means that florida is Cuban and parts of Louisianna are French.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Thinking about all this, I thought about being an Aussie. If you look at the make up of Australia, we have English, Irish, German, Italian, Greek, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Indonesian, Mexican, Thai, the list goes on and on. Each one of these can claim that they are Australian, especially if they were born in Oz.
    Sandra O is YUMMY

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I think what Zico meant was that the rest of the world will see us as Europeans.
    It's not unusual, I assure you.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A.F.F.
    No ******* chance
    It's easy to tell because you don't have a stupid hairstyle
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 387 Times in 327 Posts
    But it's true that the national identities will remain whether there's EU or not. There used to be a country called Yugoslavia that collapsed because it had too many national identities under one flag.
    But even if the separation from Yugoslavia may be seen as a normal process due to whom some nations ( slovens and croatians ) did regain their identities I don't think it's the same case for Bosnia and FYRM. Anyway, most of the states in the Balkans have ethnic problems.

Back to the questions: We are in EU for just one year and although the aderation brought either good or bad things one thing is sure, it was the right thing to do cos youu can't p** against the storm.

Good things: First of all it's the freedom to travel without the humiliation to ask for visas or to be embarassed at the customs. Not to mention there are posibilities to work or study abroad.
    Not to mention that we can get rid of those annoying gypsies and delinquents who are tempted by richer countries.
    Bad things: some of the european laws don't match our mentality.
    We should line up our prices to the european ones.

Losing national identity? Don't think so cos we are too stubborn and resisted in time under foreign yokes. But at the same time I wonder how the westerners will cope with the waves of eastern emigrants who intend to establish there. For ex. Romanians are a very numerous minority in Spain or Italy. Will they have an influence there?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Camelopard
    But Finland is half Swedish anyway, isn't it, after all road signs are bilingual and where is Hesingfors and for that matter Åbo? Then there is Åland, closer to Sweden than Finland , he says whilst stirring the pot .
    Sure, unfortunately that's true. But if I have to choose whether to read the road signs in swedish or in russian it's an easy choice.

I like our nordic neighbours. It's great to beat the Swedes in ice hockey and the norwegians in Ski jumping. The danes are not good in anything, well maybe in football but who's interested of that anyway..?
    Blessed are the woodheads since when the flood will arise they won't drown.