I saw this thread on a toyota forum about the widely circulating claims on the net of how the addition of a small amount of pure acetone to your petrol or diesel can improve your power, response and mpg by reducing surface tension, improving fuel evaporation, ie increasing the fuels octane rating.

Aparantly it has an identical effect to the fuel companys who increase the octane in their fuel by addition of alcohol. While I can see the logic in it, I've never been one to advocate DIY fuel concoctions without the necessary research and thorough testing.

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/i...l=acetone&st=0

Quote - " I've just completed 50,000 miles from new in my phase-1 D-4D. Every tank in my D-4D had 40ML acetone added each fillup.

Total reliability, not one issue ever. First MOT and the mechanic reported the particulates were the lowest he had had from a diesel. I didn't mention the acetone to him so that was a pleasing comment.

Diesel engines have one bad thing, they emit HIGHLY dangerous particles which cause a provable number of heart attacks in otherwise healthy people each year -my apologies for not having the medical link to this at hand I will try and find it. Anyway these particulates are suspected to be from unburnt parts of the fuel. Acetone will increase the effective octane and increase the efficiency of the burn (this is where the power/torgue gains come from), and I will bet my house the number of emitted particulates are reduced on acetone as a result (you will NOT get a diesel to smoke on the right acetone mix).

Fuel economy is hard to judge as I always use the extra power from day-one and would be called 'lead-footed'.

I read an earlier post about someone dissing acetone after adding huge amounts... don't be a clown, the original post made it abundantly clear, no more than 45-50ML per 45L tank. How rich to call lack of results a 'crock of ****' when they couldn't even follow an instruction.

45ML in a 45000ML tank is too dilute to have any deleterious effects on rubber or silicone so stop worrying about that. I had a huge 10% mix of diesel/acetone in a metal tin soaking some fuel-line hose, some premium silicone hose (ex aquarium) and automotive rubber (part of a rubber gaiter) and after 3 months in a warm shed this summer showed no stress or pliability worries. A ten percent mix is huge, thats one-part in ten not the 1 part in one THOUSAND as is recommended.

I agree with an earlier post that acetone should be added by law at the pumps; it reduces emissions (which new data shows can be cardiac lethal) and it is environmentally sound (more economy). The extra power is simply a cherry on the cake.

It will not be law as even a 10% reduction in the amount of fuel we would need to buy for our traveling would be billions lost by Big Oil, who are not gonna let that happen anytime soon.

Sorry about my long post. I am just fed-up with some of the carping about this issue I have found on these forums, especially the one suggesting us acetone advocates are trying to work some kind of scam because we have '5 or less' posts. CID material that poster lol"

Your thoughts on the subject?