Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I quote the oil company you reffered to Rollo:
    "One other exception is found in high-performance vehicles. The use of more complex computer algorithms in their engine control systems to control spark timing using one or more knock sensors, enables better performance on higher-octane fuel."
    Regarding compression:As I said before NA-engines have higher C/R then SC-engines. this is because you have a larger combustion pressure in the SC-engine. If you convert your engine from NA to SC you hence need to lower your C/R.
    So in short:
    - Adaption can give your engine some extra power if you opt for higher octane.
    - High compression engine, with high C/R, which are used in racing etc. do not have high C/R in mainly in order to benefit from a higher octanenumber, but in order to have a better swirl so that you can rev it more.
    - Regarding diesel we want this fuel to ignite as quickly as possible and we measure this through the cetaneno.
    - Regarding gasoline we want it to avoid autoignition for as long as possible.
    Winner Best Signature Championship 2007! Winner of BSC 2008! Winner of BSC 2009!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    As usual, snopes have an article on this subject:
    http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/acetone.asp

For goodness sake, even the US Federal Trade Commission agrees with me:
    http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/.../fuelalrt.shtm
    [/b]
    "Stay within posted speed limits. Gas mileage decreases rapidly at speeds above 60 miles per hour."

good article, I only found this limitation may vary, the more conservative rules said that it shouldn't exceed 70 kph or about 45 mph (?)

This optimum speed depends on engine capacity of the car, the bigger engine has relative higher optimum speed, the new car has higher optimum speed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You don't need fancy air intake "tornado devices" or snake oil fuel additives to get relatively significant gains in fuel mileage. You just need to adjust your driving style.

On long road trips with friends I can milk out almost 100 miles more from a full tank of gas than any of my friends.
    \"If you have a problem with what I\'m doing, talk to me, get it all out, then shut up.\" - Juan Pablo Montoya
    \"I tell ya, if my name was \'Juan Pablo Montoya,\' everyone would just kiss my ass!\" - David Letterman
    \"That was a mugging.\" - Tommy Kendall \"You can\'t spell \'fiasco\' without the FIA.\" Those are shark gills, not shark fins! Get it right!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    You didn't tell that they use the same civic. You can't compare civic to a Benz

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    We used to add acetone to methanol fuel to make it easier to fire in cold weather. It is also a very efficient degreaser that will not leave a residue. Dries your skin like mad too. It is the active ingredient in silicone caulking that when exposed to air allows silicone to dry. Very high evaporaation rate. Vinegar with your fries , sir?

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Drifter
    It is also a very efficient degreaser that will not leave a residue. Dries your skin like mad too. It is the active ingredient in silicone caulking that when exposed to air allows silicone to dry. Very high evaporaation rate.
    Based on this, would it be likely to strip out the lubricants that are supposed to be in the engine?
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Yes, but the very small percentages used would do little harm. Methanol, by the way attacks rubber (not neoprene) and aluminum. We had drain petcocks in the bottom of our Webers so the fuel wouldn't sit there. You also had to run Castrol R (lovely smell) or a synthetic oil as Methanol will not mix with a mineral oil. I do not know if Ethanol is the same but some people using small two stroke engines (chain saws) had problems with fuel containing Ethanol.