Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

pino
11th July 2007, 13:22
Let us start were we ended :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-Svt_A1CDE

:D

pino
11th July 2007, 13:37
Now a couple of news: Man City have signed last season Serie A biggest surprise : Rolando Bianchi from Reggina. Juve has renewed contracts with both Nedved and Camoranesi and signed Portugal captain and defender Andrade. Also Chivu said not to both Real and Barca and he will join Inter, while Fiorentina is about to sign Sweden Ljunberg from Arsenal. Finally Schevchenko asked Chelsea to return to Milan, but Milan will only pay 1/3 of the price they got for him...Chelsea said no :p :

more news later on....

Garry Walker
11th July 2007, 15:08
Why did you start this and some other threads with the words " I will probably be banned..."?

race aficionado
11th July 2007, 15:12
. . . it's a tradition that goes way back when pino was pure trouble. ;)

Storm
11th July 2007, 16:02
new thread eh?

Brasil through to the final on penalties...Forlan missed his !

Argentina v México - tonight :up:

oily oaf
11th July 2007, 16:42
In Pino's list of greatest teams, goals etc as seen in the now sadly defunct "I will probably........ etc" Vol 4, Maradona's goal against England in the 86 World Cup quarter final was voted "Best ever goal"
Now I'm not being a bad sportsman here but I reckon he handballed it ;)

oily oaf
11th July 2007, 16:51
Personally I think the Copa America is a bit tame these days.
I remember back in the 70s the matches between some of these countries were an absolute bloodbath where games would often finish with only the goalkeepers left on the pitch and even they'd have a fight in the pub afterwards :eek:
Argentina v Uruguay was always a particular favourite of mine.
I remember that after one particularly bloody encounter in 1968 the wife of Argentinian skipper Antonio Rattin got a phone call from the Argie pysio.
I'm afraid Antonio will be coming home with a broken leg" he said
"Oh no not again" said his missus "whose is it?"

odykas
11th July 2007, 20:25
Can't wait to see the next Juve scandal hit surface :D

jso1985
11th July 2007, 20:42
Oily :up: :laugh:

Stupid Uruguay :mad: they had the chance to win and they screwed it again! and it costed money too!

go Mexico!!

pino
11th July 2007, 21:18
Why did you start this and some other threads with the words " I will probably be banned..."?

This is the only thread I did start (5 years ago) with "I will probably be banned..." I wanted to change that title but all foot members starting with Storm were against that, that's why.

CarlMetro
11th July 2007, 23:56
I see portsmouth go a bit of a bargin today, Nugent from PNE for £6 million. Probably one of the best buys for any team in recent weeks.

Storm
12th July 2007, 02:53
Gabi Milito moves from Zaragoza to Barcelona....good defender who will form a solid central defensive pair with Puyol.

Copa semi-final is on...Argentina lead 1-0 at half time..just scored at the end with Heinze getting on the end of a free-kick.

pino
12th July 2007, 06:37
Argentina (3-0) just too strong for Mexico, now the expected final against Brazil, do not miss that match guys :D Anyway the way Messi and Riquelme (can't believe none brings him again to Europe) are playing now, Brazil needs a miracle to win the title...

oily oaf
12th July 2007, 08:31
Pino. Do you know anything about Steven Appaiah the Guyanese captain and Fenerbache midfielder?
I believe he once played for Juve also.
I only ask because apparently he is a target for West Ham.
Thanks

pino
12th July 2007, 09:01
Pino. Do you know anything about Steven Appaiah the Guyanese captain and Fenerbache midfielder?
I only ask because apparently he is a target for West Ham.
Thanks

Yes I know him for playing in Serie A (and Juve) for some years, I believe he came to Parma when he was 19 or somenthing, and was rated as a great talent but for some reasons he never showed that really. Could be because he had to fight for a place against other great players. Indeed a great move for West Ham if they sign him, he's strong physically and has a great technic :up:

oily oaf
12th July 2007, 09:04
Yes I know him for playing in Serie A (and Juve) for some years, I believe he came to Parma when he was 19 or somenthing, and was rated as a great talent but for some reasons he never showed that really. Could be because he had to fight for a place against other great players. Indeed a great move for West Ham if they sign him, he's strong physically and has a great technic :up:

Thanks a lot mate. He sounds like just the type of player we need.
I hope he enjoys the rain ;)

Iain
12th July 2007, 12:06
I see portsmouth go a bit of a bargin today, Nugent from PNE for £6 million. Probably one of the best buys for any team in recent weeks.

I dunno about a bargain. It's maybe a wee bit too much for someone who hasn't played at the top level yet. As I said in the other thread, it just shows you how over-inflated the transfer market is.

Larsen
12th July 2007, 12:57
£6m for Nugent
£5m for Chopra (who couldnt even cut it in the premiership)

Yep....the prices are over-inflated

Storm
12th July 2007, 14:57

Did you not see him in the World Cup last year? or busy with those eels?
And he is captain of Ghana not Guyana :p :
As pino said, he is strong and good player...like most African players seem to be!
Ghana, Ivory Coast, Cameroon etc they all have fantastic players...just need that slight touch up and scheme to their game to make them better than some teams like say...England ;)

race aficionado
13th July 2007, 00:59
Argentina (3-0) just too strong for Mexico, now the expected final against Brazil, do not miss that match guys :D Anyway the way Messi and Riquelme (can't believe none brings him again to Europe) are playing now, Brazil needs a miracle to win the title...

Growing up in Colombia, the most popular South American team after our own Colombia of course, was always Brazil. We are great fans of Brazil and Argentina was my second favorite. In this Copa America I have really enjoyed the way the Argentinians play and I am really enjoying crazy Messi. What a talented guy. Many of the other Argentinian players are also having a wonderful Copa.
So for the final between Brazi and The Tinchos, I don't see how Brazil with it's present team, can be a match to that talented and relentless Argentinian squad.

:s mokin:

pino
13th July 2007, 07:30
race amigo, I too enjoying Messi a lot and I don't miss a single scoring from him, and if I were Barca, I would take Milan's crazy offer (100 mill euro) for Ronaldinho and play the trio Messi, Henry, and Etoó :up: I know Storm will disagree with him, but he's not a foot-expert so it doesn't matter :p :

pino
13th July 2007, 07:32
race amigo, I too am enjoying Messi a lot and I don't miss a single scoring from him, and if I were Barca, I would take Milan's crazy offer (100 mill euro) for Ronaldinho and play the trio Messi, Henry, and Etoó :up: I know Storm will disagree with me, but he's not a foot-expert so it doesn't matter :p :

oily oaf
13th July 2007, 09:21
Did you not see him in the World Cup last year? or busy with those eels?
And he is captain of Ghana not Guyana :p :
As pino said, he is strong and good player...like most African players seem to be!
Ghana, Ivory Coast, Cameroon etc they all have fantastic players...just need that slight touch up and scheme to their game to make them better than some teams like say...England ;)

They need touching up you say :eek:
Blimey mate when I was playing I used to be quite happy with a slice of orange at half time.

PS Pino states that you are not a "foot expert"
That's not what I've heard.
Filthy swine :mad:

pino
13th July 2007, 12:41
Easy oily... odykas, Storm, and myself are great friends and we love to tease eachother ;) Anyway Milan is about to sign young brazilian talent (17 years) Pato so Barca can keep Ronaldinho :p :

Storm
13th July 2007, 13:54
you should know oily better , pino :p :

I thought about Lio in 2006, if his early potential would transform into a great player and it already has IMO...he is in a different class.

Of course I don't agree to sell Dinho to Milan ...Kaka and Ronaldinho in the same team? Not even Carlo is that stupid :)
Milan want Etoo more but apparently he is staying at Barcelona.
Only problem is Henry is also there that means a mess for Riijkaard to fit these guys into the team.

oily oaf
13th July 2007, 16:57
Storms right Pino :eek:
I just couldn't resist the chance of taking the mickey out of both of you in one hilarious post ;)

Tevez saga continues unabated :s nore:

CarlMetro
13th July 2007, 17:03
Sheffield Utd seem to have a habit of losing..............

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/sheff_utd/6897960.stm

Sheffield United have been refused leave to appeal against the Premier League arbitration panel's decision over the Carlos Tevez affair.
The arbitration panel had upheld the original decision not to dock West Ham points over the transfers of Argentine Tevez and compatriot Javier Mascherano.

West Ham were fined £5.5m and went on to survive in the top flight while United were relegated.

The Blades will now condsider their options after the High Court ruling.

stevie_gerrard
13th July 2007, 19:16
It's been a busy time in the transfer Market lately, Babel and Benayoun both signed by Liverpool, I think Yossi will be a good signing, as for Babel, he isn't worth 11.5m in my opinion, i've seen him play and he is good, but he's not that good. I think liverpool may regret making that signing.

MrJan
15th July 2007, 20:49
Went to my first pre-season game yesterday. Exeter City v Norwich (basically a reserve team I think with the excellent :rolleyes: Luke Chadwick palying) Surprisingly Exeter came away with a 2-1 win and have definately boosted my confidence for the coming season. Hopefully we can do better than last season and get promoted. After all we didn't come away from Wembley with the best memories, just the title of first Conference side to lose playoffs at new Wembley, first penalty saved at new Wembley and first red card.

Storm
16th July 2007, 18:53
Brasil won the Copa...oh well
4th minute and Baptista scored and that basically changed the game....Argentina would have been back in if Riquelme's shot had gone in (hit the post) but then late in the first half, the own goal by Ayala.

Argentina tried a lot but the midfield players for Brasil were making it very difficult for any creative play from Argentina and they only counter-attacked.

stevie_gerrard
17th July 2007, 09:40
How do Brazil keep doing it? :eek: That was the best chance you are going to have to beat a weakened Brazilian side, and yet they still blew it.

Have to say though that Baptistas goal to make it 1-0 was very good :up:

MrJan
17th July 2007, 22:22
Didn't see the Copa but got to keep the Exeter City facts coming. In 1914 the mighty grecians were the first team to play Brazil's national side :D Okay so it was nearly 100 years ago and we lost 2-0 but no-one's perfect :p :

O&A Virus
18th July 2007, 14:33
Just curious...what is the interest level in Europe regarding David Beckham's debut with the LA Galaxy (against Chelsea)? Here in the US, its getting ALOT of play. ESPN continously plays a commercial showing Beckham leaving Europe for the US (cleverly featuring the Beatle song 'Hello Goodbye' in the background).

With all of the hype, I don't think it'll lead to a higher interest in the sport long term.

pino
20th July 2007, 13:22
Totti has just confirmed he won't play for Italy anymore, great news :up: this will might give Italy some sympathy back :p :

Storm
20th July 2007, 17:21
Great news indeed....Teams should never select players who think they are above their country (and decide to prolong club careers by not playing/selectively playing internationals)

Now only if Gilardino, de Rossi etc are kicked out, Italy might get even more sympathy :)

stevie_gerrard
20th July 2007, 17:55
Just curious...what is the interest level in Europe regarding David Beckham's debut with the LA Galaxy (against Chelsea)? Here in the US, its getting ALOT of play. ESPN continously plays a commercial showing Beckham leaving Europe for the US (cleverly featuring the Beatle song 'Hello Goodbye' in the background).

With all of the hype, I don't think it'll lead to a higher interest in the sport long term.

I've heard he's been getting slated a lot over there, cause they finally realised he's just one man, not a superhero :p :

I think he's gona have to work himself to death to change MLS football at LA Galaxy, looking at their last result where they lost 3-0.

jonny hurlock
21st July 2007, 13:20
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/6909871.stm

Bernie could be intrested in buying Arsenal FC,

was it true that before Roman brought Chelsea he was intrested in buying them?

F1MAN2007
21st July 2007, 13:42
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/6909871.stm

Bernie could be intrested in buying Arsenal FC,

was it true that before Roman brought Chelsea he was intrested in buying them?

Yeah, him and Flavio were interested in Chelsea before Abro came in.

And now, knowing the realtionship between Bernie and David Dein (ex vice president sacked), plus the american Stan Kroenke it may be possible and I suspect that David Dein is the main guy behind who is pushing this to happen.

Ian McC
21st July 2007, 14:27
So, Bernie might be getting himself a bit of Arse! ;)

Allyc85
21st July 2007, 14:39
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooo!!!!

jonny hurlock
21st July 2007, 15:11
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooo!!!!

I guess you are nither a spurs fan or aresnal fan?

Allyc85
21st July 2007, 16:02
im a die hard Arsenal fan :D . We really need the money but, I want someone who cares about the club and a bit younger lol

Robinho
21st July 2007, 16:09
sad news i've seen today rearding ex Luton Town legend David Preece, who has died aged 44 ;(

RIP David, he was part of the Luton teams when i first started watcing them and always came up with the goods.

http://www.lutontown.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10372~1076295,00.html

Mark in Oshawa
21st July 2007, 17:15
Ok, the Under 20 FIFA World Cup is about to conclude in Toronto this weekend. I watched a few games, and I am left with this: Soccer/football players (I am going to say soccer out of habit, but I know everyone else will say football)are for the most part fantastic athletes, but when it comes to sportsmanship, they are completely out to lunch. The diving, the acting, the overreaction to the ref's (who also are out to lunch) were a bit much.

Then Thursday, in the Semifinal, Chile played the Argentinians. Chile got jobbed by the refs for sure. I saw the highlights and a red card was handed out for an Argie going down and no one even touched the guy. That said, the Chilean team then disgraced themselves, along with their fans by wanting to lynch the ref. When the Toronto Police tried to get the team on the bus, they responded by kicking the windows out of the bus, tearing it apart, and yes, fighting with the cops. Of course, we know how that turned out, for you never fight a cop. They tend to be packing heat of some sort...in this case TASERS.

So the whining now has gone on for a few days. FIFA is trying to pin this on the cops, but their ref's were pretty inept, and this behaviour (the diving, the bad refereeing, the lack of sportsmanship) happens every in every major soccer tournment or league at some point. The Chilean government and soccer association spent most of the day condemning the police and demanding a Canadian inquiry (they were silent about the team tearing the bus apart). Sepp Blather got the Mayor of Toronto involved by stating that Mayor Miller admitted the cops overreacted, something Miller retracted later (but most of us know he has had a hate on for cops, Miller is a hidebound left wing idealogue who has attacked the police for votes before).

What caused all of this? A lack of sportsmanship that seems indictiative of the sport of late, and it is a shame. Yet I can watch hockey for over 30 years, and never see the cops getting pulled in. Football ( the North American variety) really cracks down on this crap. There are fights in all sports, and there are fights to an extent that carry off the playing field or floor/ice, but only in "football" do I see such blatant stupidity and a lack of respect for the outcome. The rioting was also in the stands in Toronto, and the referee's were in danger. I cant remember an event of such a magnitude where people couldn't let it go. What is going on here and when will FIFA realize they have a problem in this, the "Beautiful Game"? I like it by the way, it is a good game...but this crap is nauseating.....

Brown, Jon Brow
21st July 2007, 17:39
With regards to diving the problem is that FIFA are far to strict on what a foul is and have made referee's far too eager to give out cards. This means that players go down far too easily when challenged as they hope to get others players sent off.

If more physical contact was allowed then then players would stop being as childish.

Drew
21st July 2007, 18:14
The desperation to win is why they dive. Cough Brazil cough :rolleyes:

Mark in Oshawa
21st July 2007, 18:27
Jon....but there is no minor penalty in Football. In Hockey, they really clamped down on fouls with the stick. Guys would dive, but referee's would give out penalties for overacting as well. The penalty though is 2 minutes, and in a game like Hockey, it works well. I think though that FIFA should use video footage post game and ban players who do a "Greg Louganis" at the first go. I do know that the current system of penalties isn't working, and hasn't worked for years, but FIFA, unlike some sports is very reluctant to actually make substantive change to the game itself...

As for desire to win as a reason, hey name me a sport where it doesn't happen? It happens in the Premiership or Serie A, or wherever as well in soccer, and the same acting is going on.

In North American sport, only in Hockey is there any of this acting to draw penalties, and that is a recent habit for the most part, mainly from the European influences. Of course, as I said, penalties are given out for this overacting....not rewarded.

race aficionado
21st July 2007, 19:24
Yes M in O,
I 100% agree with you about this diving-acting-whining spectacle that has been added so blatantly to what has always been my favorite sport: El futbol.

Mark in Oshawa
21st July 2007, 19:26
I don't get it, they moved me into the football thread? My question was more aimed at those societal factors that influence football and ask for explaination. My knowledge of what teams are doing what is lacking, which is why I didn't put my thoughts on this thread in the first place. Moddies...cant live with em, cant RED card em...

tinchote
22nd July 2007, 02:37
With regards to diving the problem is that FIFA are far to strict on what a foul is and have made referee's far too eager to give out cards. This means that players go down far too easily when challenged as they hope to get others players sent off.

If more physical contact was allowed then then players would stop being as childish.

I guess you would have liked the 66 World Cup, where Pele could not finish because of the injuries :rolleyes:

What happened in this game is that there was a bad ref. Good refs know how to give cards for diving.

pino
24th July 2007, 07:34
Vieri has joined Fiorentina :eek: whilst Ljungberg has signed (4years) for West Ham...aren't you happy oily ? :D

Brown, Jon Brow
24th July 2007, 09:57
I guess you would have liked the 66 World Cup, where Pele could not finish because of the injuries :rolleyes:

What happened in this game is that there was a bad ref. Good refs know how to give cards for diving.

Well yes I am someone who liked the 1966 world cup :D :D

Of course I don't want to see dangerous tackles, but at the moment players cant even stick a foot out to tackle if they are in the penalty area, because it is inevitable that the player will go down and will be 'rewarded' with a penalty.

You can't pin all the blame on to referee's. The best matches are the ones where strong(not dangerous) tackling is allowed, and the game is kept flowing.

Storm
24th July 2007, 15:03
Fiorentina are stupid...Toni replaced by Vieri.
why should oily be happy to see an ex Arsenal player in his team..who cried that as soon as Henry left he didn't want to stay longer.....waaaah

oily oaf
24th July 2007, 17:30
Fiorentina are stupid...Toni replaced by Vieri.
why should oily be happy to see an ex Arsenal player in his team..who cried that as soon as Henry left he didn't want to stay longer.....waaaah

I think my good friend Pino is having a little fun with me Stormy :D
He wants revenge for 1975 when The Hammers narrowly beat Juve 25 - 0 in Turin.

Ljunberg?

To be honest boys I'd be happier if my doctor had just told me I had pubic lice and had to have my cobblers shaved with an industrial lawnmower :(

stevie_gerrard
24th July 2007, 23:55
i know he's quite a traitor to you hammers, oily, but he is still a good enough player for the premiership, i'd certainly have him in my 23 man team.

Iain
25th July 2007, 16:03
Barca are in Scotland and people will do anything to get a view of their superstars. :laugh:

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44018000/jpg/_44018720_workers220.jpg

MrJan
25th July 2007, 23:25
If I were a lesser man who commented upon racial stereotypes I might make a 'joke' about being surprised that Scots would fork out the cash for a cherry picker :p : ;) :D

Seriously it's stupid the way people are desperate to catch even the slightest glimpse of footballers. I went to Old Trafford last season and people were queing up over 2 hours before kick off to wait for the team bus to turn up. As we had nothing else to do (was going in the away end as a Blackburn fan so couldn't get in a nearby pub) we hung about a bit. When the coach turned up no one could see anything because of the crowd and even if they could see all that happened was the players stepped off the bus straight into the building. No one seemed to see the irony that they'd all be watching these people actually play football later that afternoon.

Mark in Oshawa
26th July 2007, 15:37

The thing is, they DONT penalize diving, and it shouldn't be up to the ONE ref on the field who sometimes just turns around and sees some stupid jerk writhing around on the ground. Tin, you have been in Canada long enough to see hockey and see how the guys there sometimes embellish things, but you also know that the culture of it is is very much frowned upon. In soccer (football) though it seems like every nation has a few guys who have the sole job to sell calls. One on the highlights from that game was ridiculous, where the player was given a light push as the two were jawing at each other, and the guy went down like he was shot. FIFA should be banning that loser from international's right there and then. Start tossing around major bans for this stupidity, and it stops. I am sick and tired of watching soccer and seeing this stuff. It may be a beautiful game, but it is played by very poor actors.....and you cannot expect the refs to catch everything, even though they seem to see what they think they see when they start pulling cards out of their pockets for the dumbest things...

Iain
26th July 2007, 15:42
If I were a lesser man who commented upon racial stereotypes I might make a 'joke' about being surprised that Scots would fork out the cash for a cherry picker :p : ;) :D

Of course they wouldn't pay for a cherry picker, they're using Fife Council's equipment instead when they should be working. :p :

donKey jote
26th July 2007, 22:35
Dundee had a beauty disallowed :dozey:

Iain
26th July 2007, 23:14
I think you could tell that Barca only had 5 days of training before this game, as they weren't at their best.

pino
27th July 2007, 07:21
Rumanian jolly-defender Chivu will today sign for Inter, that's a punch in the eye for other title contenders in Italy, whos going to stop them now ? :s Hopefully I am wrong but so far Inter is much much stronger than anyone in Italy and...outside Italy too ! We will see...

btw Sven wants 2 more italians in his City, both from Juve : Chiellini and Blasi :eek:

oily oaf
27th July 2007, 16:41
i know he's quite a traitor to you hammers, oily, but he is still a good enough player for the premiership, i'd certainly have him in my 23 man team.

Blimey! I didn't know you had a 23 man team Stevie boy.
I coulda sworn you told me you had a girlfriend :eek: ;)

oily oaf
27th July 2007, 17:45
Rumanian jolly-defender Chivu will today sign for Inter, that's a punch in the eye for other title contenders in Italy, whos going to stop them now ? :s Hopefully I am wrong but so far Inter is much much stronger than anyone in Italy and...outside Italy too ! We will see...

btw Sven wants 2 more italians in his City, both from Juve : Chiellini and Blasi :eek:

Chiellini looks a good buy at 7m, by today's standards anyway.
Sven seems to be slowly but surely gathering a pretty formidable outfit at City.
Don't be surprised if they shock a few of the big boys next season.
In fact I wouldn't be at all surprised if they finished in second place in the Premiership, just a point or 2 behind The Hammers ;)

jim mcglinchey
27th July 2007, 19:10
Whats this about Nick " Rogue Trader " Leeson being appointed commercial manager of Galway United football team? I can just hear the opponent fans cries of "The commercial manager's a banker, the commercial managers a banker! "

Oh, suit yer bleedin' selves then.

stevie_gerrard
27th July 2007, 22:58
Blimey! I didn't know you had a 23 man team Stevie boy.
I coulda sworn you told me you had a girlfriend :eek: ;)

Hey mate, who say's you can't have both? ;) :p :

For me, Love and football are just as brilliant :)

MrJan
27th July 2007, 23:00
Ah but can he bend a spoon? So called Exeter City fan Uri Geller apparently could, although he hasn't really been around the club since relegation from the football league, except that one game, who was it against now? Some northern team, Man United maybe. Of course as soon as the media hype about that game died down he disappeared fromt he Grecian radar again. Not of course that he's just using the club for publicity by appearing to be down to earth, of course not, he's just busy. Banker.

pino
28th July 2007, 09:11
You guys remember him ? After a very disappointing year, Juve is trying to sell him, the problem is...none wants him :eek: oily does West Ham need a god defender ? ;)

oily oaf
28th July 2007, 09:27
You guys remember him ? After a very disappointing year, Juve is trying to sell him, the problem is...none wants him :eek: oily does West Ham need a god defender ? ;)

We're not THAT desperate you naughty boy ;)

Ian McC
28th July 2007, 10:04
oily does West Ham need a god defender ? ;)

Hand of God? They are certainly going to need a miracle! :p :

pino
28th July 2007, 13:40
btw Juve's on his way to Newcastle for a friendly match (tomorrow), Guys do not miss that chance to watch them :up: :p :

SEATFreak
28th July 2007, 14:11
Speaking of "Juve", looking forward to seeing them play Sunderland at the Stadium of Light in early August to celebrate the stadiums 10years.

I sadly was not there to see the opening game against Ajax, the first home league game against Manchester City or Niall Quinns testimonial against the Republic of Ireland but their is memories I have of actually being there.

And Juventus seems somehow an apt team to celebrare the first 10 years and all the memories the SoL has had in that time.

pino
28th July 2007, 15:27
The match is scheduled for August 4th, hopefully it will be a great match, enjoy it SEATFreak :D

oily oaf
28th July 2007, 16:51
Arsenal reject and underpants model Freddie Ljunberg has just scored for West Ham in our friendly against mighty Southend United.
I've always liked him you know :)

oily oaf
28th July 2007, 16:53
Hey mate, who say's you can't have both? ;) :p :

For me, Love and football are just as brilliant :)

Are you telling me that you're bisexual mate?
That's not a genuine sexual preference it's just being greedy :mad:

pino
28th July 2007, 18:41
Arsenal reject and underpants model Freddie Ljunberg has just scored for West Ham in our friendly against mighty Southend United.
I've always liked him you know :)

oily, it wasn't Arsenal that rejected him, but Freddy who choosed West Ham ;)

Iain
28th July 2007, 22:25
Rangers 2 - 0 Chelski

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/6920717.stm

Who needs Drogba when we've got Seeeeeebooooo?! ;) :p : :D

stevie_gerrard
30th July 2007, 10:10
Are you telling me that you're bisexual mate?
That's not a genuine sexual preference it's just being greedy :mad:

nah i'm perfectly straight mate, i'm not about to hit on you. :p :

Newcastle 2-0 Juventus, that does not bode well for the season Pino :p : this is newcastle we are talking about, and they did put all their youngsters out at the end as well :p :

I just realised that it is less than 2 weeks till the start of the new english season :D Pre Season went quick.

pino
30th July 2007, 13:18
stevie, it was a friendly match, you really think Juve took it seriously ? :p : ;)

stevie_gerrard
31st July 2007, 18:17
It doesnt matter that it was a friendly, This is still Newcastle we are talking about :p :

And from what i heard, it wasn't very friendly, whats this about Buffon "assaulting" Carroll with a challenge? :p :

MrJan
31st July 2007, 20:56
nah i'm perfectly straight mate, i'm not about to hit on you. :p :

I always thought that no one was impervious to the magnetism of Oily, no matter what their preference :cheese: ;)

Ian McC
4th August 2007, 09:14
Not a good start to the season for Leeds

http://msnsport.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12040_2639663,00.html

How the mighty have fallen, I don't feel any sympathy for them, only for the fans. Bates is an idiot, as is Wise, with that kind of points deduction they will be lucky to stay up. It wouldn't surprise me that the penalty is reduced at appeal.

oily oaf
4th August 2007, 09:17
I always thought that no one was impervious to the magnetism of Oily, no matter what their preference :cheese: ;)

There's always one mate. There's always one :(
As for Leeds........Ag ag ag ag ag ag ag. :D

SEATFreak
4th August 2007, 20:08
The match is scheduled for August 4th, hopefully it will be a great match, enjoy it SEATFreak :D

Boy did I enjoy it Pino!! :up:

Sunderland 1 - 1 Juventus.

It was low on clear cut chances for both sides and I am still unsure whether a dive one of the Juve players made was serious or playing up to the crowd but Daryl Murphy's opener within 9mins to put us ahead against a team the calibre of Juventus and the pure worldclass equaliser from far out by Christian Molinaro to beat Marton Fulop did put the icing on a rathe special cake.

True we didn't win 2-0 but it was a distinctively better and frendlier atmosphere probablu than the Skunks' sorry attempt.

Iain
4th August 2007, 20:38
What's the gossip doon the Stadium o'Light about the Hearts keeper Craig Gordon possibly signing for Sunderland for £5-8m? Apparantly he was rumoured to be down there the other day for talks, but haven't heard anything else.

The season has begun back up here in Scotland already. Inverness 0 - 3 Rangers :D , Dundee Utd 1 - 0 Aberdeen, Gretna 0 - 4 Falkirk and St Mirren 0 - 1 Motherwell. Septic to play Kilmarnock tomorrow and the Edinburgh derby on Monday night. I think Gretna are going to be in for a hard time this season. :s

stevie_gerrard
4th August 2007, 23:18
Poor Poor gretna :( i hope they do survive this season, it would be great for the club if they did.

Community Shield Tomorrow, first chance of silverware for jose and Sir Alex, I'm expecting a game as exciting as the FA Cup Final in May :p :

SEATFreak
5th August 2007, 08:43
What's the gossip doon the Stadium o'Light about the Hearts keeper Craig Gordon possibly signing for Sunderland for £5-8m? Apparantly he was rumoured to be down there the other day for talks, but haven't heard anything else.

You already know more than me o'l buddy.

I did hear initially their was interest in the region of £5m which was turned down but then upped to around £8m but that was turned down also. Roy did then cool interest but recently I heard on the football gossip page on Ceefax (p.388) that a paper reports the interest is back on again.

A quick word about the opening day of the SPL. my one hope for this season is it is finally the more competitive season I think everyone everywhere on both sides of the border want after years of dominance by Celtic and Rangers.

stevie_gerrard
5th August 2007, 19:58
Celtic 0-0 Kilmarnock

The wheels are falling off the Celtic Bus :p :

Chelsea 1-1 Man Utd (Man Utd win 3-0 on penalties)

It was actually a game as exciting as the FA Cup Final :p : Maloudas goal was good, but was about the only thing Chelsea did all game. Man Utd deserved to win a dour game.

Iain
5th August 2007, 21:32
Celtic 0-0 Kilmarnock

The wheels are falling off the Celtic Bus :p :

They've been falling off for ages mate. They've not been a good team for a few years now. They just won it because the other 11 teams in the league were crap or shooting themselves in the foot (like Hearts did). :s Didn't like their tactics today. Kilmarnock had used all 3 of their subs, so they tried to take a few Killie players out of the game with some dodgy tackles. :down:

Was channel hopping between the Charity Shield, Celtic-Killie and Newcastle-Sampdoria. Big Sam's putting together a very good squad up there at St James. I was surprised when they said Smith and Viduka scored 74 goals in 90 appearances together at Leeds, as they were starting together up front today.

Iain
6th August 2007, 12:37
SEATFreak - £9m!?!?!?! http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/6932931.stm

He's a good keeper, but he's not £9m worth, no Scottish player's worth that much. :p :

SEATFreak
6th August 2007, 13:28
Depends really on how you look at it.

Is he better than that Man Utd keeper they got from WBA? We are after him too. If so then he is worth every penny.

Anyway, why not? Shows we are serious.

Iain
6th August 2007, 14:20
Better than Kusczak yes, but not £9m better. :s Have to laugh because Niall Quinn and Roy Keane were talking about overinflated transfer fees the other week, then they pay way over the odds for Richardson, Chopra and now possibly Gordon.

SEATFreak
6th August 2007, 16:52
But Kieran has Premiership experience and has played in Europe probably and Michael Chopra was second hightest scorer in the fizzy pop league.

I don't know whether the 5m we shelled out is what he is worth but surely it will all seem justified if he does score goals.

As for that thing the other week with Quinny and Keano complaining about teams paying over the odds, whether right or wrong, whether hypoctites or not, I think the fact a team demand such as price in the first place doesn't help.

GridGirl
6th August 2007, 18:26
Yep, Kusczak was bought from West Brom.

This is slightly off topic, but I was at the training ground of a football team today. They said I could have free lunch so naturally I wasn't going to turn it down. So I was sitting there eating with all the players and after their lunch they all had jelly bean's for pudding. There was a massive bowl of them and they were just going up to the counter and scopping them into cups?

How and why does eating masses of jelly beans improve your performance? I dont get it. :s

pino
7th August 2007, 07:16
Milan has signed 17 years old brazilian Pato for €22, now they can sell Kaka to Real for €100 ...but they wont :p :

pino
7th August 2007, 07:17
Milan has signed 17 years old brazilian Pato for €22, now they can sell Kaka to Real for €100 ...but they wont :p :

SEATFreak
7th August 2007, 08:32
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/6932931.stm

Take a look at the 4th paragraph down. The one immediately below the photo. Now whose willing to pay over the odds? Still, I cannot grumble. Gives me a chance to find out if people will now complain about Manchester City paying £10m for Graig Gordon as much as Sunderland paying £9m.

But the next paragraph down sums up my feelings on teams paying over the odds. "That is the value placed on him by his Scottish Premier League club". If Hearts hadn't demanded so much in the first place surely we wouldn't have teams outbidding each other every time hiking up even further the fee.

Iain
7th August 2007, 14:51

Please tell me you mean E100 million and not just E100. :p :

pino
7th August 2007, 19:09
Please tell me you mean E100 million and not just E100. :p :

Million...million :p :

pino
8th August 2007, 07:59
Congrats to both Rangers and FC Copenhagen for going to 3rd round of Champions League. Now I hope a good italian team will come to Copenhagen so I can watch an exciting match.... until Juve is back next year :p :

oily oaf
8th August 2007, 18:20
When the English Premiership ges underway on Saturday, 70% of the players on display will be foreigners compared to 40% in Italy.
Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool have all failed to sign a single Englishman in the close season while Sven Goran Erikson has bought in a total of 9 foreign "stars" at Man City.
One of the few managers to realise the importance of having a central "core" of homegrown talent is surprisingly not an Englishman but a Dutchman, namely Martin Jol of Spurs who has steadfastly refused to go along with the current "foreign or nothing" trend and as a result of his "revolutionary" thinking has built the best Tottenham side since Jimmy Greaves was a lad.

When England fail to qualify for World Cups and European Championships 10 or 15 years from now it won't require a degree in rocket science to work out why that is will it?

Restrict Premiership clubs to 3 foreign players apiece or witness the destruction of once mighty England as a genuine force in World soccer.

Storm
9th August 2007, 03:19
ahem.....oily the once mighty England as a genuine force has ceased to exist since.....1966 :p :

pino
9th August 2007, 07:01
When the English Premiership ges underway on Saturday, 70% of the players on display will be foreigners compared to 40% in Italy.
Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool have all failed to sign a single Englishman in the close season while Sven Goran Erikson has bought in a total of 9 foreign "stars" at Man City.
One of the few managers to realise the importance of having a central "core" of homegrown talent is surprisingly not an Englishman but a Dutchman, namely Martin Jol of Spurs who has steadfastly refused to go along with the current "foreign or nothing" trend and as a result of his "revolutionary" thinking has built the best Tottenham side since Jimmy Greaves was a lad.

When England fail to qualify for World Cups and European Championships 10 or 15 years from now it won't require a degree in rocket science to work out why that is will it?

Restrict Premiership clubs to 3 foreign players apiece or witness the destruction of once mighty England as a genuine force in World soccer.

You're totally right oily, something must be done fast, or England will have serious problem to qualify at every Tournment entered. Situation in Italy isn't that bad but closer, and the fans gets mad when ie a talent like Giuseppe Rossi (former Man U.) cannot find a place in an italian squad and must sign for a Spanish Club (Villareal) Another strange thing in Italy is that many squads have a foreign keeper so our italian keepers are forced to play outside Italy ( Abbiati, De Sanctis, Roma, Cudicini, Sorrentino etc..) Crazy football :p :

Iain
9th August 2007, 07:06

I remember when they did have that rule, then it was scrapped in 1995 or 96 sometime. If it wasn't for that, then 'arry Redknapp might not have bought Marco Boogers, Florin Radicichoyoooo, Samassi Abou, plus many others and you would have been deprived of seeing them perform at their peak, Oily. :p :

No wonder the managers go foreign though. The price of British players is ridiculous. We even paid £2.25m for a 29 year old Scotland international forward, just a few hundred thousand less than it cost for us to buy a quality Spanish defender from Osasuna. Madness.

Anyone know if Red Star Belgrade are any good these days?

pino
9th August 2007, 07:18

Why ? Rangers going to play them in next round ? :s Good Luck :p :

oily oaf
9th August 2007, 07:24
ahem.....oily the once mighty England as a genuine force has ceased to exist since.....1966 :p :

Precisely Stormy! "Once mighty" ie. mighty on no more than one occasion ;)
But seriously unless England do something about the current crazy influx of foreigners to the Premiership we are doomed to follow in the footsteps of Scotland who have plummeted down the world rankings since the two "Old Firm" clubs decided to fill their ranks with "talent" from overseas instead of nurturing and bringing on young homegrown players. Where are the Dalglish's, the Souness's, the McGrains the Johnstones, the Baxters et al that made this tiny nation a force to be reckoned with on the world stage?
It seems to me that there is a consensus amongst supporters today that it matters not how you achieve success as long as you achieve it and if that means that England become a third rate footballing power then so be it.
Already we have slipped to 12th lace in the FIFA World Rankings behind Croatia and Mexico and when the current crop of "adequate" England boys laughingly dubbed "The Golden Generation" hang up their boots then the cupboard is looking very bare indeed.
Of course I dont expect a return to the Halcyon days when I would pay my half crown at the Upton Park turnstiles and watch a West Ham side consisting of not only 11 Englishmen but also a high percentage of Londoners :eek: but to watch a Premiership clash without the need of a bloody interpreter would be nice.
The writing is on the wall for England, trust me, and unless something is done about the current situation we will continue to struggle at international level until this country becomes a footballing laughing stock

Signed..... "Gypsy Rose" Oaf "sees all, knows all"

oily oaf
9th August 2007, 07:29
I remember when they did have that rule, then it was scrapped in 1995 or 96 sometime. If it wasn't for that, then 'arry Redknapp might not have bought Marco Boogers, Florin Radicichoyoooo, Samassi Abou, plus many others and you would have been deprived of seeing them perform at their peak, Oily. :p :

No wonder the managers go foreign though. The price of British players is ridiculous. We even paid £2.25m for a 29 year old Scotland international forward, just a few hundred thousand less than it cost for us to buy a quality Spanish defender from Osasuna. Madness.

I take it all back mate!
You're absolutely right of course. I would never be able to look my grandchildren in the face if I couldn't sit in my rocking chair in front of the fire and recount the times I saw Marco Boogers at his peak :D

Pino. :up:

pino
9th August 2007, 07:32
Why ? Rangers going to play them in next round ? :s Good Luck :p :

They are, and just saw that Celtic plays Spartak Moscow...won't be easy for them either, feel better now Iain ? :p :

Rollo
9th August 2007, 07:37
Consider this:
The Liverpool side that played Everton for the FA Cup as far back as 1986 fielded no Englishmen on the park. The rot set in quite some time ago.

The Man United side that did the treble in '99 basically had the same core for about 6 years. Managers are under great pressure these days to deliver results instantly, and their solution is rather a bit like F1 now. Spend money where necessary and hope you don't implode.

oily oaf
9th August 2007, 08:49
Consider this:
The Liverpool side that played Everton for the FA Cup as far back as 1986 fielded no Englishmen on the park. The rot set in quite some time ago.

The Man United side that did the treble in '99 basically had the same core for about 6 years. Managers are under great pressure these days to deliver results instantly, and their solution is rather a bit like F1 now. Spend money where necessary and hope you don't implode.

Yes indeed Rollo, I remember too the furore that surrounded the fact that the Reds failed to field a single English qualified player. Nowadays it appears to be the norm rather than the exception. At least the majority of the Liverpool lads were from The British Isles though mate :D
I dont remember the full line up but I expect messrs Rush, Hansen, Lawro and maybe Souey were amongst their number that day along with Mr Grobbellar and Mr Molby representing the foreign contingent. Although to hear big Jan speak today you'd swear he was born and raised in a back to back in Toxteth :D .
Hey and don't forget that one of the goals that day was scored by an Englishman in the shape of young Gary Lineker ;)

Iain
9th August 2007, 16:43
They are, and just saw that Celtic plays Spartak Moscow...won't be easy for them either, feel better now Iain ? :p :

Well not really because we'll probably end up playing Celtic in the UEFA Cup when they both fail to qualify for the CL. :p :

Scotland are back up in the rankings nowadays Oily, getting more Scots into the Old Firm team, plus there's a lot of youngsters coming through. I think we're in the 20s somewhere in the rankings. :) I see what you mean about Engerland though. Once all the current superstars are past it and have retired, who replaces them? Are you going to have to pick Championship players like the rest of the Home Nations have to do? :s

oily oaf
9th August 2007, 17:32
Well not really because we'll probably end up playing Celtic in the UEFA Cup when they both fail to qualify for the CL. :p :

Scotland are back up in the rankings nowadays Oily, getting more Scots into the Old Firm team, plus there's a lot of youngsters coming through. I think we're in the 20s somewhere in the rankings. :) I see what you mean about Engerland though. Once all the current superstars are past it and have retired, who replaces them? Are you going to have to pick Championship players like the rest of the Home Nations have to do? :s

Championship? The way things are going I don't think it'll be too long before we have England scouts freezing on the touchline down at Hackney Marshes mate :D
Hey! Maybe there's hope for me yet.
(dons baggy claret & blue shirt, gigantic shorts and ankle boots that turn up at the toes and exercises furiously)

stevie_gerrard
9th August 2007, 23:48
Hey, wolves have a lot of good english players you can have for the England squad, Mark Davies, Kightly, Murray, the list goes on and on. We are gonna be the force in "english" football once again at some point :p :

Just in case im not back in time this week for the football fixtures restarting, Wolves had some bad news this week, Murray out for 6 Months :( Therefore we only have one keeper, Hennesey, who we played twice last season against the Albion. I believe Micks already got Steve Morgans checkbook out again :p : We will have Craig Gordon off your hands Sunderland :p :

Watford vs Wolves

Big first game for us, we need to get off to a good start if we are gonna gain promotion this season. :) CMON Wolves!!

oily oaf
10th August 2007, 07:27
Quote: "There are certainly not enough English players in the Premiership. I have always been in favour of restricting the number of foreign imports.
I think for this country to have a good national team you have to establish how many English players should be in each Premier League team.
At grass roots level things can't be right. The young players lack technique and there looks to be something wrong.
The FA has to take a good look and try and correct it"
West Ham United Chairman Eggert Magnusson. August 9 2007.

Blimey! The bald headed sod's been stealing my material :mad:

oily oaf
11th August 2007, 07:17
Carlos Tevez has finally signed for Man Utd. That didn't take long did it? ;)
TBH I can't see beyond another title for Ferguson's Red Army now. The little Argie will be a sensation at Old Trafford and I for one wish him well.
He did a great job for The Hammers last season and he will always get a good reception form the Upton Park faithful on his trips down south.
Muchas Gracias Amigo.

pino
11th August 2007, 07:35
I think City will win the title this year :p :

pino
11th August 2007, 07:44

Good news for Rangers :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/6941008.stm

SEATFreak
11th August 2007, 09:04
We will have Craig Gordon off your hands Sunderland :p :

No chance! ;)

Well, they say third time lucky and for me my third season as a season ticket holder at SAFC looks like being the best yet!

The team certainly should have more balls now under Roy than they did under McCarthy, Wilkinson or even Reid. Able to put up a decent fight. And we should win more games this season to the last time. Or at the very least give teams like Fulham and Reading and Wigan a scare.

But at the end of the season I will be over the moon if they just simply did enough just stay up. I don't think we have the names to hope for anywhere in midtable. Sunderland for 17th!! :up:

oily oaf
11th August 2007, 09:14

Have to disagree mate, I can't see Bristol City doing it.
They're in the wrong league for a start :p

pino
13th August 2007, 07:19
Have to disagree mate, I can't see Bristol City doing it.
They're in the wrong league for a start :p

I was talking about Man City...great start for them btw :p : ;)

oily oaf
13th August 2007, 07:53
I was talking about Man City...great start for them btw :p : ;)

Was it? I'm afraid I can't remember ;)

pino
13th August 2007, 11:44
Was it? I'm afraid I can't remember ;)

Have a Martini Bianchi...it will help to remember :p :

pvtjoker
13th August 2007, 15:26
Does Plymouth have a chance in the Coca-Cola League?

pvtjoker
13th August 2007, 15:27

You very well could be right but I think Liverpool will give them a run for their money.

Iain
14th August 2007, 00:01

It's very difficult to say. That league was one of the closest I've ever seen last season. They have a very entertaining manager though. :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YBgp_LaPWc

SEATFreak
14th August 2007, 09:12

Certainly The Pilgrims won't get relegated. That honour will has a chance of going to I think the clubs that came up; S****horpe, Bristol City and Blackpool.

But nor do I think they will be anywhere near the mix. Though I think...I hope they will. Sheffield United I haven't been convinced by thus far. Maybe it is the newness of the Championship for them but I think it will take a little time for Charlton to look like a team that will go straight back up as strongly as their former status says. WBA will be lucky to because of all the departures and the apparent loss of confidence in themselves due to their failure in last seasons play-off. Compare the WBA of this time the start of last season to the start of this season. And without Chopra will Cardiff do as well early on as they did last season?

I, here and now, predict 8th for Plymouth Argyle.

El Sween
14th August 2007, 23:00
Great win for Everton over big spending Tottenham. Early days but not a good start for Spurs.

pino
15th August 2007, 07:47
Lazio 1 - 1 Dynamo Bucharest
Rangers 1 - 0 FK Crvena Zvezda
Benfica 2 - 1 FC København
Valencia 3 - 0 Elfsborg

No problems as expected for Valencia while the other 3 matches are still open, good advantage for Rangers though ;)

pino
15th August 2007, 07:50
Some transfere news : Cassano's back to Italy, he will sign for Sampdoria, while Milan is in Madrid to sign another brazilian (Emerson) from Real. Chelsea paid 40 mill euro for Alves ? :eek: :crazy:

GridGirl
15th August 2007, 08:48
I wouldn't say West Brom are not performing due to a lack of confidence SeakFreak. They are struggling because there are players still at the team that basically don't want to be there. The team know the players dont want to be there, but they still have to turn up for training everyday and work with them. I wont go into how I know, but I would even go as far to say that some players have even signed deals with other clubs but for some reason or another the deal's have fell through at the last minute.

Or my other theory could be they are just eating too much sponge pudding and custard for lunch. :p

CarlMetro
15th August 2007, 08:52
Early days but not a good start for Spurs.

:bigcry:

pvtjoker
15th August 2007, 15:16
Certainly The Pilgrims won't get relegated. That honour will has a chance of going to I think the clubs that came up; S****horpe, Bristol City and Blackpool.

But nor do I think they will be anywhere near the mix. Though I think...I hope they will. Sheffield United I haven't been convinced by thus far. Maybe it is the newness of the Championship for them but I think it will take a little time for Charlton to look like a team that will go straight back up as strongly as their former status says. WBA will be lucky to because of all the departures and the apparent loss of confidence in themselves due to their failure in last seasons play-off. Compare the WBA of this time the start of last season to the start of this season. And without Chopra will Cardiff do as well early on as they did last season?

Thanks for the feedback. One doesn't get enough news of the English Leagues or of soccer/football here in the US, unless you're a Beckham (LA Galaxy fan) or follow Chelsea or Man U fan. Anything else, and your "SOL".

MrJan
15th August 2007, 20:34

Wash your mouths out. Terrible, terrible language for a family forum :p :

Removing my Exeter City hat and trying to be objective (even if it does feel wrong) I don't think Argyle will finish that high up. Last season they relied so much on the class of Scott Sinclair that I don't reckon they can finish in the top half.

Putting the Exeter hat back on and Argyle will be shocking and be relegated by February. Meanwhile Exeter will win the Blue Square Premier, playing all oponents off the field. Fast forward 4 years and Exeter are a Premiership side pushing for the top four. Argyle meanwhile fall into financial difficulty and disappear. (a boy can dream can't he? please :bounce:

CarlMetro
16th August 2007, 17:34
Some 'good' news for our resident WHU fan then :\

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/6918873.stm

West Ham have signed England midfielder Kieron Dyer from Newcastle.
The deal, believed to be in the region of £6m, was revived and completed two weeks after Hammers boss Alan Curbshley said it was "definitely off".

Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce claimed the original deal collapsed after the Hammers refused to pay an escalated fee of £8m for Dyer.

The 28-year-old Dyer was keen to leave St James' Park to move south and be nearer to his family.

oily oaf
16th August 2007, 17:55
Some 'good' news for our resident WHU fan then :\

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/6918873.stm

West Ham have signed England midfielder Kieron Dyer from Newcastle.
The deal, believed to be in the region of £6m, was revived and completed two weeks after Hammers boss Alan Curbshley said it was "definitely off".

Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce claimed the original deal collapsed after the Hammers refused to pay an escalated fee of £8m for Dyer.

The 28-year-old Dyer was keen to leave St James' Park to move south and be nearer to his family.

Hehehehe I'm sure young Mr Dyer will delight in the company of those 2 other lovely fellas Craig Bellamy and Lee Bowyer ;)
I'm thinking of buying a season ticket to the training sessions mate.
Fight! Fight! Fight! :D

Berbatov out for a month :eek:
You needed that one like a third nipple Carl.

Btw Sheffield United are trying to sue West Ham again.
They never give it a rest do they?
What's that noise!?...............It's OK it's just the lawyers rubbing their hands together.

GridGirl
16th August 2007, 18:19
Does anyone think Dyer fill stay injury free long enugh to play maybe 10 matches this season?

oily oaf
16th August 2007, 18:45
Does anyone think Dyer fill stay injury free long enugh to play maybe 10 matches this season?

Not after Bellamy and Bowyer have had their hands on him he wont ;)

Iain
16th August 2007, 21:06
Old Eggert's spending money like it's going out of fashion isn't he?

oily oaf
17th August 2007, 07:05
Old Eggert's spending money like it's going out of fashion isn't he?

Yeah. Funnily enough he rang me up last night and when I questioned him about it he confided that he was trying to get rid of all his dough before Sheffield Utd could get their hands on it :(

CarlMetro
17th August 2007, 08:34
Berbatov out for a month :eek:
You needed that one like a third nipple Carl.

Just another to the list I'm afraid :( King, Kaboul, Bale, Dawson and Aaron Lennon all out. If things get any worse we might even have to play Ghaly again :\

Still, at least we got rid of Mido :D

SEATFreak
17th August 2007, 14:22
Thanks for the feedback. One doesn't get enough news of the English Leagues or of soccer/football here in the US, unless you're a Beckham (LA Galaxy fan) or follow Chelsea or Man U fan.

Well, what I said really was pure prediction work. For all I know Plymough could have a crap season. Which will please our Miguel Sanchez no end! ;) They may have stuffed us (Sunderland) 2-1 in one of the first home games of last season but Niall Quinn was in charge at the time. The thrashing we gave em' in the same fixture in 2004-5 is much more nearer the point.

Ian McC
18th August 2007, 17:47

Happier after today though I bet ;) :D

CarlMetro
19th August 2007, 02:49
Yeah just a bit ;)

I can't believe that all I'm hearing from the press is that Jol is for the chop, he's by far the best manager Spurs have had for a long, long time. Yes he has spent a few quid but he has pulled a few quid in with sales as well and is still building what could be a top four contender.

The performance against Sunderland was poor but it was away from home and I think we gave them too much respect. The performance was worse still against Everton but there are quiet a few key players out through injury at the moment. Give Martin his full list of first team picks and I think we'd give anyone a run for their money.

oily oaf
19th August 2007, 11:42
Yeah just a bit ;)

I can't believe that all I'm hearing from the press is that Jol is for the chop, he's by far the best manager Spurs have had for a long, long time. Yes he has spent a few quid but he has pulled a few quid in with sales as well and is still building what could be a top four contender.

The performance against Sunderland was poor but it was away from home and I think we gave them too much respect. The performance was worse still against Everton but there are quiet a few key players out through injury at the moment. Give Martin his full list of first team picks and I think we'd give anyone a run for their money.

Martin Jol = shrewd operator who does his talking on the pitch and steers clear of the unseemly verbals so beloved by Mssrs Whinger, Ferguson and "The Special One"
It's depressingly predictable that the great British sports journos are writing the bloke off as a two-bob arseole after a couple of matches.
Thse are the same semi-pissed sots that slaughtered Sven during his tenure as England gaffer, now all of a sudden he's a tactician on a par with Alexander the bleedin' Great.
(Goes into John Cleese mode)
Mmmmmmm IT MAKES ME MAD :mad: .

Birmingham 0 Irons 1 :D
At last we're embarking on our unstoppable march towards championship glory :s murf:

Rollo
19th August 2007, 15:29
4' of injury time in the Manchester derby and even with Kasper "Krazy Hands" Schemichel Man City are hanging on by their fingernails. United are looking like relegation material :D

BeansBeansBeans
19th August 2007, 18:37
Well done Rob Styles.

A truly virtuoso performance.

Brown, Jon Brow
19th August 2007, 20:34
4' of injury time in the Manchester derby and even with Kasper "Krazy Hands" Schemichel Man City are hanging on by their fingernails. United are looking like relegation material :D

:mad:

stevie_gerrard
20th August 2007, 12:05
Well Well Well, what a poor start for Man United. This is Crisis Mode for Ferguson now surely dont you think? :p : I think Man United could struggle to retain the title, even though it's so early in the season. One of the main rules to winning the title is a good start to the season.

Therefore my money is with Pino and Man City to win the Title :laugh: I don't know what Sven is doing at that club but it's working. Fair play to him, they all knew his club record before he took the job, they had been warned ;) Still, i dont think Man City will finish any higher than 10th this Season.

glad to see Sunderland doing a fairly good job of it, hopefully they will stick around in the premier league for next season. Fulham were robbed at the weekend, Healy should have had his goal, which is frustrating as i have him in my fantasy team!

Talking of robbed, Good start for Liverpool and Chelsea as ever, even though Liverpool were robbed yesterday of victory :mad: Chelsea may have had the chances but Rob Stiles has ended up being the new Graham Poll. Well someones got to do the job :p :

Wolves season start has been a bit up and down, how we threw it away at Watford i really do not know, but good victorys against Bradford and Sheff Weds has set us off. Hopefully now we can get a move on and move up the table.

pino
20th August 2007, 14:03
Speaking of Man City, it looks like Sven is trying to sign Italy's 2nd best keeper Amelia from Livorno, what about Schmeichel Jr ? he did a good job sofar :up: In Spain another brilliant performance by Real Madrid :rolleyes: :p :

BTCC2
20th August 2007, 17:33
[quote="stevie_gerrard"]glad to see Sunderland doing a fairly good job of it, hopefully they will stick around in the premier league for next season.QUOTE]

No way!! Send them back where they belong.

donKey jote
20th August 2007, 19:00
In Spain another brilliant performance by Real Madrid :rolleyes: :p :
What a great match ! :D :D :D

SEATFreak
20th August 2007, 19:02
glad to see Sunderland doing a fairly good job of it, hopefully they will stick around in the premier league for next season.

Good job?!

Because of that piss-poor, weak, gutless, cowardly performance, the whole team and our manager I think could fast turn into the makings of a weak, gutless, cowardly shower who aren't able to cut it in the Premier League on any level if they don't respond now and put things right straightaway because I for one worry about whether that performance is the start of a trend.

CarlMetro
20th August 2007, 19:07
Wow! Nothing like supporting your team through the good and bad results, hey Freaky?

You'll be calling for the head of Keane and for Quinn to quit if they lose again I suppose?

:rolleyes:

SEATFreak
20th August 2007, 19:12
Wow! Nothing like supporting your team through the good and bad results, hey Freaky?

You'll be calling for the head of Keane and for Quinn to quit if they lose again I suppose?

:rolleyes:

I am so tempted.

Right here and now it's not looking like it's going to get better. Only worse.

BeansBeansBeans
20th August 2007, 19:19
Right here and now it's not looking like it's going to get better. Only worse.

You've just been promoted, and you've got 4 points from a possible 9 so far, which is not bad going. If you thought you were going to be challenging for Europe or something, then it's your own fault you're disappointed.

SEATFreak
21st August 2007, 12:45
If you thought you were going to be challenging for Europe or something, then it's your own fault you're disappointed.

How much are you willing to bet that is what I thought?

Brown, Jon Brow
21st August 2007, 12:51
I don't think that any team would expect to lose 3-0 to Wigan.

I fully expect ManU to go a 35 match unbeaten run in the league :D

BeansBeansBeans
21st August 2007, 13:03
How much are you willing to bet that is what I thought?

It would be a foolish man to bet on someone's thoughts.

All I'm saying is that the Premiership is a difficult place for a newly promoted club. What were you expecting to happen?

SEATFreak
21st August 2007, 13:06
What were you expecting to happen?

Do well.

BeansBeansBeans
21st August 2007, 13:11
Do well.

So because you've lost one game (away from home) after scoring points in your opening two games, you want Keane and Quinn out? Remember where you were when they arrived.

SEATFreak
21st August 2007, 13:40
So because you've lost one game (away from home) after scoring points in your opening two games, you want Keane and Quinn out?

Not nesessarily.

Like I said if the performance against Wigan is the start of the trend where we play like that for the next 9 months or so, yes. Because that trend brings back horrible memories of last time. That is how we went down on 15pts. We played like that the entire time.

But providing we put up a better fight on Saturday, regardless of the defeat, I will still be happy with Roy and Niall.

oily oaf
21st August 2007, 14:28
Not nesessarily.

Like I said if the performance against Wigan is the start of the trend where we play like that for the next 9 months or so, yes. Because that trend brings back horrible memories of last time. That is how we went down on 15pts. We played like that the entire time.

But providing we put up a better fight on Saturday, regardless of the defeat, I will still be happy with Roy and Niall.

I'm sure that will come as an enormous relief to them :rolleyes:

millencolin
21st August 2007, 14:36
i know its a bit late, but its good to see Spurs back on the winners list. Its hard trying to follow my team when the games are usually on at 3am or so here down under, but after that worrying start to the season, we are back.

Brown, Jon Brow
21st August 2007, 14:50
Is anyone here doing a 'Fantasy League' on Premierleague.com ??

I was just thinking that we could set up a motorsport forum league :D

SEATFreak
21st August 2007, 15:27
Is anyone here doing a 'Fantasy League' on Premierleague.com ??

I was thinking of doing one....entering Sunderland AFC!!! :rotflmao:

Do you think they have a prayer of winning a game?! :rotflmao:

CarlMetro
21st August 2007, 17:53

And what if it's the only game you lose all season? Crikey it was your third game of the season, having just come up a division and without spending any real money, and you expect to beat everyone? Or just the teams that have only been in the premiership a few years?

Still, I guess every team has its glory-hunter supporters :rolleyes:

GridGirl
21st August 2007, 19:26
I'm a member of a premierleague.com fantasy league. We have one at work because we're too cheap to pay. I find it annoying though, having to think and enter teams each week. I already missed last weeks entry and the season isn't three weeks old yet. :s

Brown, Jon Brow
21st August 2007, 19:44
OK I've created a private league called Motorsport Forumers. It is due to start at gameweek 4 so you have until the 25th it starts.

code - 1111281-184603

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/index.html

SEATFreak
21st August 2007, 19:52
and you expect to beat everyone? Or just the teams that have only been in the premiership a few years?

You think I expected us to beat everyone? You think I don't know theirs 19 teams bigger than us with more quality in one player than we have in our entire first team. You see us beating Fulham, Blackburn, Aston Villa or Man City?

Still, I guess every team has its glory-hunter supporters :rolleyes:

I have heard it all now!! :rotflmao:

Gloryhunters search for a club purely for guaranteed success. I have been a supporter since 1995 and at no point have we ever been a club that gloryhunters would ever consider.

Whatever you may think of my low confidence in the ability of my team to recover strongly from a setback like that it is hardly because I am a gloryhunter.

I realised something today. Our..my..problem may well be that because for so long I have seen us fail to realise our ambitions I think I have come to expect failure. Expect it so much when success does happen I fail to acknowledge it. When defeats like that happen it is hard to see past it. Which makes it harder for me to see somesort of recovery.

stevie_gerrard
22nd August 2007, 00:44
I don't think it will all be doom and gloom for Sunderland this season. The fact you are off the mark with a win against Spurs, no mean feat despite the injuries they have, and a hard fought point against the blues, ur already nearly a third of the way to that 15 point disaster season :p : if you kept getting 4 points out of every 9, you'd safely avoid relegation and even be challenging mid table.

Just think of it this way, you're doing better than Man United, so that can't be bad. :laugh:

SEATFreak
22nd August 2007, 08:21
if you kept getting 4 points out of every 9, you'd safely avoid relegation and even be challenging mid table.

:) :up:

Just think of it this way, you're doing better than Man United, so that can't be bad. :laugh:

AND on the same points as Arsenal! :laugh:

pino
22nd August 2007, 09:13
Two more brazilians to join Serie A :

Emerson to Milan and Cicinho to Roma both from Real Madrid :s :

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd August 2007, 10:36
I've been literally inundated with no entries for the Fantasy league.

code - 1111281-184603

oily oaf
22nd August 2007, 17:25
Two more brazilians to join Serie A :

Emerson to Milan and Cicinho to Roma both from Real Madrid :s :

I fear you're going the same way as England mate. :(
What incentive does it give to young up and coming players when as soon as a gap appears in their respective clubs the vacancy is promptly filled with foreign stars.
England's under 21 kids played out an extremely uninspring draw with Romania last night and these yougsters are the international "stars" of the future.
Do the big clubs care that England are doomed to be second rate on the international stage.
I'll leave you to decide. :)

oily oaf
22nd August 2007, 17:27

code - 1111281-184603

Come on then JB I'll have some of that :D

Errrrrrrr What do I have to do :dozey:

CarlMetro
22nd August 2007, 17:41

code - 1111281-184603

Sorted ;)

Iain
22nd August 2007, 23:21
Sauerkraut and a Grolsch anyone?

stevie_gerrard
22nd August 2007, 23:44
only saw the first 15 minutes of tonights game, when Micah Richards was terrorising the right hand side for England. Really glad i decided to go to the cinema instead of watch the rest. :p : How bad was Robinsons mistake anyone?

Other results tonight:

Scotland 1-0 South Africa (close victory :p : )
Northern Ireland 3-1 Litchenstein ( David Healy- Legend, really hoping that NI will be at Euro 2008 next year :) )
Bulgaria 0-1 Wales ( Hennessey and Eastwood both "outstanding" according to manager :D )
Rep of Ireland 4-0 Denmark

CarlMetro
22nd August 2007, 23:50
Yet another poor performance by a team that will be lucky to qualify for Euro 2008 and TBH I hope that England don't, then maybe we might get rid of Sven's clone.

I had to laugh when during the pre-match build up Alan Shearer questioned where the idea of the 'compulsory' back tracking midfielder had come from, and that there was no such thing when he was playing.

Robinson's mistake was bad, but no where on the scale of Lehmans so far, second goal was an absolute belter though.

Tshbez
23rd August 2007, 01:32
Mclaren just will not admit a loss to a second string German team, AT WEMBLEY, after we were given so many chances to score was a bad result. His post match interviews remind me of something out of the fast show the way he makes everything sound good and the NEXT game is more important that the last, yet we all know that elusive "performance" he is promising will not come.

Typical England performance - first 20 minutes we dominate, we get a goal, then we fall asleep, the opposition score a couple of goals, we lose, Mclaren says how well we played and how we should have won and everyone goes home.

Robinson simply misjudged a German cross and put himself in such a position that he could only push the ball straight into the path of a German player. It just looked stupid.

Storm
23rd August 2007, 03:19
Gabriel Heinze to Real Madrid....no Liverpool for him

oily oaf
23rd August 2007, 07:30
TBH I thought last night's game was quite enjoyable to watch and apart from the result I was fairly pleased with some of what I saw.
England looked bright and inventive going forward, were creative in midfield and but for a lack of sharpness up front could and should have won by a comfortable margin.
Their were one or two notable performances from Joe Cole who looked easily the best player on the park until Mclaren in his wisdom decided to sub him.
Micah Richards had a stormer in defence and looked more than handy going forward too. How long I wonder before the big boys come knocking on Sven's door with big smiles and even bigger cheque books?
Frankie Lampard too had a fine game which he crowned with a well taken goal in the 9th minute. One in the eye for the ridiculous boo boys who have made "Fat" Frank the target for their spiteful ire.
All in all I thought it was a satisfactory display which would surely have led to a deserved win were it not for a goalkeeping howler, a superbly taken blockbuster of a goal totally against the run of play and some poor tactical decision making from the England boss. SWP for Joey Cole? Wassat all about then? :confused:

pino
23rd August 2007, 07:47
I fear you're going the same way as England mate. :(

Fortunatelly not because except for the 4/big ones the others Club are still focused on italian players. Meanwhile Italy lost in Budapest 1-3 a friendly match in preparation for the crucial one against France next month :s

MrJan
23rd August 2007, 19:29
First 20 minutes last night were good but a lot of players seemed poor and it all went downhill. Thought that Joe Cole and Shorey were linking up quite well, even if the Reading player did look shakey to start with. In The Sun they only gave him a 5 rating saying that he should have cleared to touch before first goal. If you watch the replay you can see that it's actually Robbo who comes out and tries to clear with his left and then lands on his arse.

Richards is a great right back, probably a better option than Neville because he is better going forward.

As for the bad players Carrick was absolutely appalling, passes rarely completed and he was playing catch up with the Germans when defending. Beckham seemed slow and lacking match fitness. As with Carrick his passing was poor.

The strikers didn't have a lot to do as not getting service so not really worth rating. However Barry and Wright Phillips both looked good when they came on but I would like to have seen Phillips on for Beckham and let Cole finish the match.

Anyways next football for me is Monday when Exeter (still unbeaten) take on localish rivals Weymouth. Hopefully will see us continue in our satisfactory league position.

Tshbez
24th August 2007, 00:35
England are ranked 12th in the FIFA rankings, just ahead of Romania. So maybe we should just stop expecting them to win against the bigger teams.

CarlMetro
24th August 2007, 08:26
They are only ranked 12 in the world because of poor performances over the past few years. They are never going to be No1 but they should certainly be in the top 5 or so, especially considering that the Premier League is recognised as one of the best, if not the best, in the world.

BeansBeansBeans
24th August 2007, 13:04
They are only ranked 12 in the world because of poor performances over the past few years. They are never going to be No1 but they should certainly be in the top 5 or so, especially considering that the Premier League is recognised as one of the best, if not the best, in the world.

The Premier League may well be the best in terms of entertainment, but that doesn't mean anything when it comes to International football.

The fact is only 40% of players in the Premier League are English, and on the whole, English players lag behind Italian / Brazillian...etc players in terms of technique. That's not to say we don't have World Class players, but we have less quality to choose from than many other nations.

Storm
24th August 2007, 16:07
England has a lot of quality players Beans, but the fact is when they get together they are a crap team. (especially under the last 2 managers)

pino
24th August 2007, 22:13
England has a lot of quality players Beans, but the fact is when they get together they are a crap team. (especially under the last 2 managers)

Storm mate, stop posting while drunk :p : ;)

pino
25th August 2007, 11:29
Serie A is starting today with Livorno vs Juventus :D Liga starts too with Madrid derby between Real and Atletico, nice start for the galacticos :p :

stevie_gerrard
25th August 2007, 18:09
Arsenal 1-0 Man City :( Such a shame for Kasper Schemeichel, who had another stormer.

Meanwhile, wins for Liverpool and Bolton, as well as Chelsea, who are leaders once again. West Ham got away with another point to add to the tally :p :

Wolves 2-1 Blackpool

All i can say is FREDDY EASTWOOD, WE LOVE YOU :D He saved us today.

Iain
26th August 2007, 07:10
Arsenal 1-0 Man City :( Such a shame for Kasper Schemeichel, who had another stormer.

He's mad. He just keeps jumping into that big star shape like his dad did, except it's a bit more exaggerated. :crazy:

pino
26th August 2007, 07:47
Great start for Juve, 5-1 vs Livorno (Trezeguet scored 3) :up:

oily oaf
26th August 2007, 08:35
Great start for Juve, 5-1 vs Livorno (Trezeguet scored 3) :up:

I just watched it and four of the goals were offside.................and the last one was handball ;)

pino
26th August 2007, 09:31
I just watched it and four of the goals were offside.................and the last one was handball ;)

PM me your address and I will send you a new pair of glasses ;) :p :

Storm
26th August 2007, 15:08
Its Juve playing and you know how the refs are with them :p :

Real 2-1 Atletico and tonight Barcelona start their campaign vs Santander!

stevie_gerrard
26th August 2007, 18:37
i'm absolutely gutted, i forgot five are showing Serie A football this season, and i forgot it started this weekend :(

However, GO JUVE!! :p : it's such a good thing to see them back in Serie A :D

Man Utd 1-0 Tottenham

All i can say is Spurs were robbed, but a desperately important win for Man Utd.

pino
27th August 2007, 07:41
Juve-Livorno the scores :

http://www.skylife.it/html/skylife/sport/video_sport.html?video=2

The only thing not "clear" was the penalty given (not shown in that video) :p :

Subaru WRX
27th August 2007, 13:45
LOL Juve is back to Serie A, time for revenge now from both Milan and Inter :D

Subaru WRX
27th August 2007, 13:51
Juve-Livorno the scores :

http://www.skylife.it/html/skylife/sport/video_sport.html?video=2

The only thing not "clear" was the penalty given (not shown in that video) :p :
hey enough from referes and penalties, Moggi is out now :D

DonnieDarco
29th August 2007, 01:02
I don;t venture into this thread often, because its football :D

However, I'd like to pay my respects to this guy:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/08/29/sfnsev129.xml&CMP=ILC-mostviewedbox

RIP Antonio Puerta :(

pino
29th August 2007, 07:10
Sad story indeed, the guy was only 22 :(

RIP Antonio...

oily oaf
29th August 2007, 07:41

Dyer broke his leg in two places during last nights game against Bristol Rovers.
I've heard of a boxer having a glass jaw but young Kieron seems to have Waterford Cristal legs :(

The English press is awash with rumours that West Ham are to obtain the services of Senor Adriano from Internazionale.
Can I ask my Italian spy and good friend Pino if this is a wise move or a biiiiiiiiiiiig mistaka.?

oily oaf
29th August 2007, 07:44
I don;t venture into this thread often, because its football :D

However, I'd like to pay my respects to this guy:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/08/29/sfnsev129.xml&CMP=ILC-mostviewedbox

RIP Antonio Puerta :(

A tragic story indeed Donnie and coming hot on its heels is the news that the Leicester City - Forest game was abandoned at half time last night after Leicester player Clive Clark collapsed at half time with a suspected cardio related illness :(

pino
29th August 2007, 07:56
The English press is awash with rumours that West Ham are to obtain the services of Senor Adriano from Internazionale.
Can I ask my Italian spy and good friend Pino if this is a wise move or a biiiiiiiiiiiig mistaka.?

Adriano's not good anymore for Inter and Serie A, maybe a change will help him. I say get him but for free, don't waste any money ;)

Sorry oily for being onest :p :

oily oaf
29th August 2007, 08:00
Adriano's not good anymore for Inter and Serie A, maybe a change will help him. I say get him but for free, don't waste any money ;)

Sorry oily for being onest :p :

Thanks mate. I expect he'd only break his scoring foot after 10 minutes anyway ;)

Storm
29th August 2007, 13:17
RIP Antonio Puerta !

Adriano is crap.

pino
29th August 2007, 13:49
Adriano is crap.

I agree but last news are saying that he will stay at Inter :s

Good for you oily ;)

oily oaf
29th August 2007, 17:37
I agree but last news are saying that he will stay at Inter :s

Good for you oily ;)

Blimey if he's that bad he'd have fitted in with his team mates very nicely indeed :D

SEATFreak
30th August 2007, 09:08
A tragic story indeed Donnie and coming hot on its heels is the news that the Leicester City - Forest game was abandoned at half time last night after Leicester player Clive Clark collapsed at half time with a suspected cardio related illness :(

Together with Marton Fulop Clive is on loan from my team Sunderland.

I am sure I speak for most fellow Black Cat fans when I wish him a speedy recovery and he can get back to first team football ASAP.

Storm
30th August 2007, 17:35
Eto'o out injured for upto 2 months :s

One frenchman is secretly happy about this I'm sure

Iain
30th August 2007, 18:24
Me too, one less player to worry about! ;) :p :

Here's the Champions League draw:

Draw for the 2007/08 Champions League British teams in bold and the top seeds in CAPITALS

Group A
LIVERPOOL
Porto
Marseille
Besiktas

Group B
CHELSEA
Valencia
Schalke 04
Rosenborg

Group C
REAL MADRID
Werder Bremen
Lazio
Olympiakos

Group D
AC MILAN
Benfica
Celtic
Shakhtar Donetsk

Group E
BARCELONA
Lyon
Stuttgart
Rangers

Group F
MANCHESTER UNITED
Roma
Sporting Lisbon
Dynamo Kiev

Group G
INTER MILAN
PSV Eindhoven
CSKA Moscow
Fenerbahce

Group H
ARSENAL
Sevilla/AEK Athens
Steau Bucharest
Slavia Prague

Brown, Jon Brow
30th August 2007, 18:38
Manchester United v Roma again :D

and Chelsea v Valencia :\

stevie_gerrard
30th August 2007, 23:14
[quote="Iain"]

Group E
BARCELONA
Lyon
Stuttgart
Rangers

Poor Poor Rangers :laugh: That is definately the group of death. Celtic have a fairly difficult job too, otherwise the british clubs got off rather lightly, and i dont see too many problems for at least 4 of them to go through.

I heard a bet 20/1 for all 6 british teams to go through to the knockout stages, now that might be a bet worth putting a small wager on, just incase it happened :p :

RIP Antonio, a legend in the making, and a wonderful player. :( Hopefully Clive Clarke makes a full recovery too after a double heart attack.

Wolves 1-3 Morecambe :eek:

I wouldnt be bothered normally with cup competitions, but the fact that a wolves side containing eastwood keogh and kightly lost to morecambe, does quite frankly make me worry. Though Graham Stack should take the blame, another player for the Wolves scrapheap i feel :p :

CCFanatic
31st August 2007, 00:43
I would like to see an MLS team compete in the Champions League.

And no, I would not vote for Beckam's team because they suck. Chicago or Houston are good teams that I think could compete with even the high ranked teams.

SEATFreak
31st August 2007, 09:08

That's just it. As much as I would like to see teams like DC United and the LA Galaxy try their hand against the top European teams it is for only the the top European teams. The governing body being of course UEFA.

stevie_gerrard rekons Group E (the group for Rangers) is the group of death. Looking at the Groups I think certainly me group is F (the group for Man Utd). Roma, Man United, Dinamo Kiev and Sporting Lisbon I think are all tough teams.

jso1985
1st September 2007, 00:31

And no, I would not vote for Beckam's team because they suck. Chicago or Houston are good teams that I think could compete with even the high ranked teams.

If they can't even beat Pachuca or America I seriously doubt they could beat any big European team

pino
2nd September 2007, 11:31
Nice win for West Ham, happy for you oily :D

stevie_gerrard
2nd September 2007, 13:51
Matty Etherington obviously found his scoring boots, good thing really, otherwise it would have been close ;)

Stoke 0-0 Wolves :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6974969.stm

:eek: anyone thinking we're tracking back a bit too much??

Brown, Jon Brow
2nd September 2007, 18:22
Things are hotting up in the motorsport forum fantasy league :erm:

# Team Manager Gameweek Total
1 Metros Masters Carl Metrovich 32 70
2 The Concrete Wizards John Stainer 23 53
3 Moley United FC Jon Brown 15 53

gloomyDAY
2nd September 2007, 18:41
This is soccer. I want my 30 seconds back!

Brown, Jon Brow
2nd September 2007, 18:47
This is soccer. I want my 30 seconds back!

No, it's football.

CarlMetro
3rd September 2007, 08:26
Crikey you know things are bad in English footie when Heskey gets a call up :rolleyes: I've seen better strikers down the local park on a Sunday morning.

BeansBeansBeans
3rd September 2007, 11:13

It's the UEFA Champions League.

European teams only, I'm afraid.

oily oaf
3rd September 2007, 16:21
Crikey you know things are bad in English footie when Heskey gets a call up :rolleyes: I've seen better strikers down the local park on a Sunday morning.

You don't know the half of it mate.
I drove past the England training HQ today and Gordon Banks was between the sticks while Bobby Charlton was on the touchline stretching his hamstrings :eek:

Poor old Emile he comes in for some terrible stick and no mistake.
TBH I feel sorry for the boy, he works his socks off for the team and is actually extremely highly thought of by his fellow professionals. He's just not very good :p
I'd be well pleased if he knocked in a couple in against Israel and the Ruskies in the two crunch games coming up.
Come on "Bruno" show 'em your class my son :D

oily oaf
3rd September 2007, 16:28
Nice win for West Ham, happy for you oily :D

Cheers mate. I understand Arsene Wenger watched our game on video and then had to go to the club doctor for a bottle of tranquilisers ;)

I watched part of the Juve/Cagliari game on Sunday. Unfortunately it was the first part then I had to go out and missed all the goals :(

pino
3rd September 2007, 22:09
I watched part of the Juve/Cagliari game on Sunday. Unfortunately it was the first part then I had to go out and missed all the goals :(

Juve won 3-2 and to be honest Cagliari played better and deserved at list 1 point.But it was nice to see Juve fighting to the end to get the 3 points, that's the right way to get to the top again :up: :D

MrJan
5th September 2007, 22:05
Went to the pub to watch Exeter at Oxford last night (it may be expensive but at least Setanta shows decent coverage of the conference). City went 2-0 after giving away 2 penalties (no real argument with either) but showed proper resiliance by getting one back with 15 mins left and then taking advantage of the extra injury time the ref added by scoring with the last kick of the game. It was one of those footballing moments I'll always remember, singing and being happy over a 2-2 draw that we really should have won :D

pino
6th September 2007, 09:43
Italy will play France on Sat and they must win or it will be :wave: for us :s It won't be easy as we got some injury problems (Materazzi, Toni) and some players have decided not to play for national Team anymore ( Maldini, Totti, Nesta) Not to mention that Serie A has just started so the condition isn't optimal yet. It's going to be a big fight as usually when these 2 countries plays eachother. I won't miss it for anything else in the World...unless Monica Bellucci phones me :p :

raceafi Jr.MS
6th September 2007, 20:51

I dont think the MLS all star team could compete with the big boys.

raceafi Jr.MS
6th September 2007, 21:11
Eto'o out injured for upto 2 months :s

One frenchman is secretly happy about this I'm sure

Barca doesn't need Eto'o

Henry is so much beter... and I dont even like Henry.

:arrows: but no mater who's on Barca, they will always kick butt :s kull:

Iain
6th September 2007, 21:14
I won't miss it for anything else in the World...unless Monica Bellucci phones me :p :

Maybe they should give her a game? :p :

stevie_gerrard
7th September 2007, 16:44
Gerrard fit for England Crunch games:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6983518.stm

i suppose that's some good news for the england team, i feel they will be needing him to perform this coming week.

Hate to say it but i think Italy are in a bit of trouble pino, there's no getting past them scots :p :

Storm
7th September 2007, 16:50
Barca doesn't need Eto'o

Henry is so much beter... and I dont even like Henry.

:arrows: but no mater who's on Barca, they will always kick butt :s kull:

Henry is so much better ? :laugh:
Barce won 2 titles when Etoo was scoring goals by heaps and Dinho was creative
They lost the liga when Etoo was out for 4 months last season.

I let you go race afi Jr this time ;)
since you seem to like Barcelona atleast and since you are race afi's son :D

oily oaf
7th September 2007, 17:57
Maybe they should give her a game? :p :

I'd give her one and no error mate :D

walrus81
8th September 2007, 14:32
I wonder what the QPR fans think about their club being bought out by Bernie Ecclestone and Flavio Briatore.

BeansBeansBeans
8th September 2007, 17:34
I wonder what the QPR fans think about their club being bought out by Bernie Ecclestone and Flavio Briatore.

Extremely pleased I would have thought.

It would be a dream come true for almost every club in the country.

pino
8th September 2007, 17:46
England has just scored against Israel, good job by the line-man, many would've disallowed that goal ;) In Italy group, Scotland won, so Italy must now beat France at any cost...

Brown, Jon Brow
8th September 2007, 18:22
Owen makes it 2-0 :D

stevie_gerrard
8th September 2007, 18:24
About time England showed some quality, and i mean quality, cause owens goal was brilliant. :up:

Scotland 3-1 Lithiuania :D Go Scotland!!! :D Go France :p :

pino
8th September 2007, 18:41
.....Go France :p :

What ? :angryfire : ;)

Iain
9th September 2007, 07:13
A France win would have been better, but a draw still keeps Italy behind us. :p :

pino
9th September 2007, 07:24
Italy played very bad, especially in the 1st half, things were going better in the 2nd, before that genius of our coach Donadoni, took Camoranesi and Inzaghi off, and replaced them with Perrotta, and Lucarelli :crazy: With such a coach Italy will go nowhere...

raceafi Jr.MS
10th September 2007, 18:07
Henry is so much better ? :laugh:
Barce won 2 titles when Etoo was scoring goals by heaps and Dinho was creative
They lost the liga when Etoo was out for 4 months last season.

I let you go race afi Jr this time ;)
since you seem to like Barcelona atleast and since you are race afi's son :D

look Storm Eto'o used to be good,
now he just misses balls after balls

and plus I decided Henry is a :dork:
:D

(for all Henry fans sorry)

SEATFreak
10th September 2007, 19:36
Just very quickly could I bother some nice member for some help?

My Grandfather is Dutch and being the father of my mother as a pose to my father I feel I am closer to him, blood-like, than any time when my fathers dad was alive.

Aswell as watching England I also follow Holland. And I am tracing their progress in their group and one thing bothers me about their first game; their 1-0 away win at Luxembourg.

It was a 4-3-3 formation with Tim de Cler (Feyenoord), Johnny Heitinga (Ajax), Joris Mathijesen (Hamburg) and Andre Oojier (Blackburn Rovers) as the defence. But as far as I am aware from footballdatabase.com de Cler and Mathijesen are are only LB's.

Is this true or was de Cler the LB with Mathijesen the CB along with Heitinga?

Something else bothers me. Ooijer as far as I know from the site plays as CB and RB. Yet his sub was Urby Emanuelsen who plays, again as far as I know at LB only too.

I am sure Theo Jansen was the RM, Landzaat CM and Schaars the LM.

stevie_gerrard
11th September 2007, 00:36
Italy played very bad, especially in the 1st half, things were going better in the 2nd, before that genius of our coach Donadoni, took Camoranesi and Inzaghi off, and replaced them with Perrotta, and Lucarelli :crazy: With such a coach Italy will go nowhere...

ahhr, never mind pino, theres always the world cup 2010 :p : Saying that, a european championships without the world champions would be a real shame. Seriously though, for once, i don't think Scotland will give in so easily :p :

Just a quick mention to the women, their football world cup started this morning in China, Germany beat Argentina 11-0 in a demolition but all hopes lie with England, who beat well fancied France to a place in Shanghai. I hope they can show some good football in a touigh tournament, which England aren't expected to do well in.

pino
11th September 2007, 07:38
ahhr, never mind pino, theres always the world cup 2010 :p : Saying that, a european championships without the world champions would be a real shame. Seriously though, for once, i don't think Scotland will give in so easily :p :

Stevie, our problem is the coach ( England and Spain have same problem) :p : Donadoni has not the skills to be in charge of Italy. Even without Maldini, Nesta, Totti, Toni, Materazzi, Italy still have enough class players to beat anyone and I mean anyone ;) We must win both in Ukraine and Scotland now and I hope Donadoni play with the right squad... :hmph:

MrJan
11th September 2007, 21:20
Did anyone actually see the Germany Argentina match in the WWC? The Argentina keeper was shocking, seriously I could have done better. It's not good for women's footie when the World Cup ahs teams that are so far apart in terms of skill, they really need to get that sorted before it can reach a wider audience.

Brown, Jon Brow
11th September 2007, 21:29
Did anyone actually see the Germany Argentina match in the WWC? The Argentina keeper was shocking, seriously I could have done better. It's not good for women's footie when the World Cup ahs teams that are so far apart in terms of skill, they really need to get that sorted before it can reach a wider audience.

Girls can't catch etc. comes to mind.

Iain
12th September 2007, 08:39
Well that's not strictly true is it, they can catch in netball ok it seems. :p :

Pino, will you be hoping for a France win tonight? ;)