View Full Version : [WRC] Rally Turkey 2020

Pages : 1 2 [3]

dimviii
20th September 2020, 11:00
hahahaha from French forum

''did Mrs Ogier tweeted something about shitty toyo?''

jonkka
20th September 2020, 11:03
That moment, when your cars wheel arch gap is so big, you can sit on the wheel :D

It also requires a small enough butt, I couldn't sit in a wheel arch of Dakar-spec truck...

Fast Eddie WRC
20th September 2020, 11:04
Tanak 5 sec faster than Neuville this morning.

Tauri_J
20th September 2020, 11:05
ott thinks its not enough

KKS
Lappi on safe mode O_o

EstWRC
Tanak 5 sec faster than Neuville this morning.

last year they bettered 10 seconds their times on second pass

KKS
20th September 2020, 11:06
RL tyre? for Lappi?

denkimi
20th September 2020, 11:07
We in #WRC love these simple moments

that's why i love rally. it's the same for everyone.

Fast Eddie WRC
20th September 2020, 11:09
Broken damper for Lappi.

Fast Eddie WRC
20th September 2020, 11:12
Two M-Sports home safely in the points. All they could hope for really with no car development or pre-event tests.

SubaruNorway
20th September 2020, 11:13
Front right had no damping

Fast Eddie WRC
20th September 2020, 11:16
Excellent job by Kalle with low experience on such an event.

EstWRC
20th September 2020, 11:17
Neuville is def gonna win this power stage

jonkka
20th September 2020, 11:21
Loeb has unique style of shrugging and using animated hands during interviews, I had already forgotten that (too)... :D
Easy to recognize him even with mask and helmet on...

EstWRC
20th September 2020, 11:23
oh man so close for Ott, good stage considering starting pos.

dimviii
20th September 2020, 11:26
oh man so close for Ott, good stage considering starting pos.

he had worse starting position,but better tyres,and a spare less from Neuville.

Fast Eddie WRC
20th September 2020, 11:28
Yes !! Elfyn Evans with a fantastic performance and the win at Rally Turkey !! :)

EstWRC
20th September 2020, 11:28
congrats Evans, nice trouble free rally.

his champonship to lose now IMO.

KKS
20th September 2020, 11:29
Second win for Evans in a season! Gooooood one!

Fast Eddie WRC
20th September 2020, 11:29
Maybe I should take up gambling ! ;)

I dont bet but Elfyn Evans at 10-1 seems good odds:

https://www.oddschecker.com/motorsport/2020-rally-world-championship/wrc-rally-turkey/winner

cali
20th September 2020, 11:32
How's the situation with championship's points. Does anyone care to share the standings

dimviii
20th September 2020, 11:33
Rally Paradise
@rallyparadise
·
40s
#WRC points after #RallyTurkey:
@ElfynEvans
@SebOgier
@OttTanak
@KalleRovanpera
@thierryneuville
@EsapekkaLappi
@TeemuSuninenRac
@Craig_Breen
@SebastienLoeb
@GreensmithGus
16 #WRClive @rallyturkey

cali
20th September 2020, 11:34
Rally Paradise
@rallyparadise
·
40s
#WRC points after #RallyTurkey: @ElfynEvans
97 @SebOgier
79 @OttTanak
70 @KalleRovanpera
70 @thierryneuville
65 @EsapekkaLappi
38 @TeemuSuninenRac
34 @Craig_Breen
25 @SebastienLoeb
24 @GreensmithGus
16 #WRClive @rallyturkey
Thanks Dimvii

mknight
20th September 2020, 11:34
Evans leading WRC after multiple rallies... Who would have thought that at end of 2018 when he had a terrible season while Ogier won title in same car.
What a difference a car change sometimes makes. Only Latvala change from 2016 to 2017 is something similar in recent years.

Two M-Sports home safely in the points. All they could hope for really with no car development or pre-event tests.

I was hoping for more, but looked like they used whole rally just to find a setup.

EstWRC
20th September 2020, 11:35
https://www.upload.ee/image/12295207/Screenshot_1.png

AnttiL
20th September 2020, 11:37
Evans leading WRC after multiple rallies... Who would have thought that at end of 2018 when he had a terrible season while Ogier won title in same car.
What a difference a car change sometimes makes. Only Latvala change from 2016 to 2017 is something similar in recent years.

Or another driver who switched over to Toyota ;)

dimviii
20th September 2020, 11:40
Tøp
@top_wrxsti

Marmaris Rally Turkey podium
2018: Tänak-Latvala-Paddon
2019: Ogier-Lappi-Mikkelsen
2020: Evans-Neuville-Loeb
9 drivers in 3 years...

dimviii
20th September 2020, 11:42
"It's been a tough weekend. We were there or there abouts most of the weekend, and we thought that uesterday afternoon was game over with a chance for victory. We really tried to drive well and stay in the middle of the road.

"I'm well aware that there is a bit of luck that needs to go your way and I never like to inherit positions from others in that way. This is the nature of Rally Turkey especially, and we knew this coming into the weekend.

"Still very happy - it's not the sweetest victory when you know that you've perhaps been a bit more conservative, but that's the aim of the game."

dimviii
20th September 2020, 11:46
Rubén Pérez
@RubnPerez
·
3m
#WRC Mundial de marcas tras #RallyTurkey:

Toyota Gazoo Racing WRT 174
Hyundai Shell Mobis WRT 165
M-Sport Ford WRT 101

mknight
20th September 2020, 12:03
Or another driver who switched over to Toyota ;)

Well for Latvala I wouldn't say it's clear that 2016 Polo was much worse vs competition than 2017 Toyota. Looked to be as much about changing the enviroment and teammates.

Indreq
20th September 2020, 12:05
Sorry for Tänak and Ogier falling to technical problems. If Evans secures at least 3rd-4th place finishes from next rallies, he would be champ. Has anyone ever been champion after winning only 2 rallies in season and 3 rallies over whole career?

dimviii
20th September 2020, 12:07
Sorry for Tänak and Ogier falling to technical problems. If Evans secures at least 3rd-4th place finishes from next rallies, he would be champ. Has anyone ever been champion after winning only 2 rallies in season and 3 rallies over whole career?

With one win was Burns if i remember correct,but he had more overall wins.

dimviii
20th September 2020, 12:09
Rallying•UK
Globe with meridians
#WRC
@RallyingUK

Information source
Worth remembering...

IF @ypresrally
is the final round of WRC 2020 and it goes down to the wire to decide who becomes champion - EVA, OGI, TÄN and ROV have never contested the event.

@thierryneuville
has on eight occasions.

AnttiL
20th September 2020, 12:10

In 1986 Kankkunen won Sweden, Acropolis and New Zealand. Before that he had only won twice in Africa.

When counting wins, it's better to use percentages because seasons have different number of rallies (and number of rallies you can count to your result). Two rallies out of seven is is 28%. In a 14-round season that would mean four wins.

Additionally, Ogier won the title in 2017 with only two wins.

AnttiL
20th September 2020, 12:11
In Sardegna will be very bad to be first on the road, in Ypres very good to be first on the road.

EstWRC
20th September 2020, 12:21
Besides wins you have to be consistent in championship to win it and that’s what Evans has done so far.

None zero point rallies for him whilst Neuville has two, Tänak also basically two and Ogier one.

Like Antti said, best example from recent years is 2017 with Ogier with just 2 wins but very consistent points scoring.

Ott had 6 wins last year if I remember right but besides wins he was very consistent too, well actually only the car let him down and one puncture at Corsica

flat_right
20th September 2020, 12:25
I think and hope that the two last rallies will be epic! Evans just can't cruise around and win the championship. Ogier, Tänak, Neuville, Rovanpera will be all pushing him. And if those 4 stay ahead of him in Sardgena + Hyundai's third driver, then it is all open in the last rally!

dimviii
20th September 2020, 12:31
the epic would be Evans to collect 0 or little points to Sardegna,and go to the last rally 4 drivers with little points difference.

Tauri_J
20th September 2020, 12:43
In Sardegna will be very bad to be first on the road, in Ypres very good to be first on the road.

I hope its a dry Sardegna. I was there in 2018 when it rained.

Indreq
20th September 2020, 12:46
I have every respect towards Evans, he is doing great work. Only sour spot is that Tänak and Ogier suffered mechanicals. If they had suffered punctures, then i would say this is at least partly their own fault. In fair world they should still have 3-way battle going. In short season like this, mechanicals sway the results too much, not much of a season to make up the points lost.

atsiotras79
20th September 2020, 12:51
What does Evans need to mathematically seal it in Sardegna? Win the rally + how many points in PS?

Francis44
20th September 2020, 13:12
Is it sealed in stone that this year's championship will only have two more rounds?! Lately there have been some discussions of the Monza addition.

AnttiL
20th September 2020, 13:12
I have every respect towards Evans, he is doing great work. Only sour spot is that Tänak and Ogier suffered mechanicals. If they had suffered punctures, then i would say this is at least partly their own fault. In fair world they should still have 3-way battle going. In short season like this, mechanicals sway the results too much, not much of a season to make up the points lost.

Motorsport is always a combination of human and machine. Both must perform.

Franky
20th September 2020, 13:13
What does Evans need to mathematically seal it in Sardegna? Win the rally + how many points in PS?

If Evans gets maximum 30 points in Sardinia, then only Ogier has a chance. Others would not have even theoretical chance, even if Evans would get nothing in Belgium. And when Evans gets maximum points, Ogier would need to get at least 18 points to remain in theoretical title fight.

In a simple way. If Ogier, Tänak, Rovanperä or Neuville would get maximum points from the next two rallies:

Ogier gets 60 points, Evans needs to collect 43 points to win by 1 point.
Tänak or Rovanperä gets 60 points, Evans needs to collect 34 points to win by 1 point.
Neuville gets 60 points, Evans needs to collect 29 points to win by 1 point.

EstWRC
20th September 2020, 14:18
the epic would be Evans to collect 0 or little points to Sardegna,and go to the last rally 4 drivers with little points difference.

Was thinking the same.

Not that I wish something bad for Evans, it would be just epic in Ypres then.

But I believe only mechanical gremlins would ruin his championship.

Fast Eddie WRC
20th September 2020, 15:11
Neuville (and Breen) at Ypres must give Hyundai some advantage for the Manu title given their experience there.

Fast Eddie WRC
20th September 2020, 15:12
Was thinking the same.

Not that I wish something bad for Evans, it would be just epic in Ypres then.

But I believe only mechanical gremlins would ruin his championship.

Given the amount of sheer bad luck Evans has had in the past he surely doesnt deserve any now.

Revman
20th September 2020, 15:21
We see a trend developing....If you drive for Toyota Gazoo Racing, you have a shot to become Champion. The car is fabulous. The team is on kill. Hungary has been horrid on this team. Fowler goes to work, and just like that, winners. Okay, I get that luck had everything to do with it, but we all knew that Hungary would be like this. I thoroughly enjoyed this rally. Hated it for Ogier, but he isn't done. We all understand that.

steve.mandzij
20th September 2020, 15:47
We see a trend developing....If you drive for Toyota Gazoo Racing, you have a shot to become Champion. The car is fabulous. The team is on kill. Hungary has been horrid on this team. Fowler goes to work, and just like that, winners. Okay, I get that luck had everything to do with it, but we all knew that Hungary would be like this. I thoroughly enjoyed this rally. Hated it for Ogier, but he isn't done. We all understand that....Hungary?

SubaruNorway
20th September 2020, 15:59
At it again today, final version of the many names Lappi goes by haha!

https://twitter.com/TorAndreBorrese/status/1307704042198622209?s=20

Fast Eddie WRC
20th September 2020, 16:14
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EiXpNL7WkAIqZEF?format=jpg&name=medium

Fast Eddie WRC
20th September 2020, 16:16
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EiXjXvSWoAQM-hP?format=jpg&name=medium

Fast Eddie WRC
20th September 2020, 16:18
Tommi Mäkinen has apologized to his driver Sébastien Ogier after an engine failure ended his Rally Turkey:

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/makinen-apologizes-to-ogier-for-engine-failure/

EstWRC
20th September 2020, 17:47
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkdkKyAB_CU

Eli
20th September 2020, 18:23
Well.... I have to give it to Evans, after years of being dragged down by his car (no offense to M-Sport, I know they aren't as well funded as the others), I'm glad to see Evans doing so well, and I honestly hope it will be a fair fight to the end (although I have to admit if he gets through Sardegna with no points it will be a hell of a champ. Again not wishing Evans bad luck or anything.)
He will have the dubious honour though, of sweeping the road for the others, so that will be tough unless it rains (like it did back in 2012). As for the rally, what a rally, what a weekend we had! It was fantastic and it made me really sad that we now have to wait for another 3 weeks until the next one...
Shame about M-Sport, no testing, no chance....don't see how their situation will be better next year with no official support from Ford...and also shame about the technical problem Ogier had, and I'm guessing if it weren't for it he'd still be behind (but by one point maybe?) but as we seen time and time again this weekend (and in this sport as a whole) it's not over until it's over and I'm sure Ogier will be fighting 'till the end. By the way, does anyone know when and where will that be? because I was hearing rumors about Monza(?!!) Rally replacing Belgium for the final spot? Also, what about Croatia, any news regarding that joining our championship this year? Hopefully we'll have more answers than questions the coming weeks...
One last thing as this turned out to be a very long post, 9 points advantage for Toyota...I hope Hyundai will do better next time because they are running out of time to claim that title back...really would like to see both championships come down to the wire. Have to admit, despite it's downsides, this corona situation has made this year's championship pretty fascinating... the fact that the drivers don't have a lot of rounds makes it far more interesting....just wish for the rallies to be longer...although in this case I honestly don't know how many cars would still be at the end of the last stage.

Eli
20th September 2020, 18:28
FIA's post-event press conference: https://www.fia.com/news/wrc-e-evans-it-good-points-and-what-we-came-here

doubled1978
20th September 2020, 18:44
I hope Evans isn’t too cautious in Sardinia, he really does have a good chance if he stays reliable. It helps that the guys who are further away in the championship, will have the best chance to win in Sardinia, which should help him stay first on the road for Ypres.

AnttiL
20th September 2020, 19:42
I think it was a good point by Elfyn that he had a lucky strike this weekend but he's had his share of bad luck in the past. It's like a compensation from Corsica 2019.

AnttiL
20th September 2020, 19:43
I hope Evans isn’t too cautious in Sardinia, he really does have a good chance if he stays reliable. It helps that the guys who are further away in the championship, will have the best chance to win in Sardinia, which should help him stay first on the road for Ypres.

He's gonna do some rain dances...

Sardegna hasn't been a happy event for him in the past years, going off early in 2017 and 2018

doubled1978
20th September 2020, 20:38
I think it was a good point by Elfyn that he had a lucky strike this weekend but he's had his share of bad luck in the past. It's like a compensation from Corsica 2019.

Elfyn shouldn’t worry about these situations, it’s the right thing to say but rallying history is littered with guys who won events due to others misfortune. It’s the game, sometimes goes for you, sometimes against.

EstWRC
21st September 2020, 11:58
Hugely disappointing result for the title-chasing six-time world champion, who was massively let down by an unusually unreliable Yaris WRC and now finds himself with a massive job to do to reclaim his crown.

https://dirtfish.com/rally/colin-clarks-rally-turkey-driver-ratings/

AnttiL
21st September 2020, 12:25
Hugely disappointing result for the title-chasing six-time world champion, who was massively let down by an unusually unreliable Yaris WRC and now finds himself with a massive job to do to reclaim his crown.

https://dirtfish.com/rally/colin-clarks-rally-turkey-driver-ratings/

Is it the first time this year, while Hyundais have broken already three times?

Last year Tänak had three big failures (Argentina, Sardegna and Turkey).

Fast Eddie WRC
21st September 2020, 13:43
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/tanaks-slow-driving-tactics-absolutely-stupid-makinen/

Must admit it did seem pretty poor - he had the chance to Rally 2 then used it to employ every tactic possible.

Revman
21st September 2020, 14:03
Is it the first time this year, while Hyundais have broken already three times?

Last year Tänak had three big failures (Argentina, Sardegna and Turkey).

When is Ott going to start crap talking his manufacturer the way he did with Toyota? He has to be looking at TGR and realizing that they have elevated another driver to championship level the way they did with him, and wonder about what he was thinking to leave....

flat_right
21st September 2020, 14:27
When is Ott going to start crap talking his manufacturer the way he did with Toyota? He has to be looking at TGR and realizing that they have elevated another driver to championship level the way they did with him, and wonder about what he was thinking to leave....

Why should he? Hyundai's first major issue with Tänak. It is autosport and things happen, if this mistake will be fixed and improved, then there is no reason to cry about it. At least it is not Toyota, where Tänak had to retire god knows how many times because of floor protection failures and rims, until they could fix it.

TypeR
21st September 2020, 14:30
well.. during these two years in Toyota I would say he was rather polite and basically didn't comment anything about the issues till mid 2019, when Sardegna and Turkey problems took big amount of points away..
And while fighting for the title(again) it's okay to get mad, when known problems occur again..
Wouldn't call it talking crap.. not the same thing.

dimviii
21st September 2020, 14:45
michelins explanation about punctures
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/video-the-truth-behind-rally-turkeys-tire-drama/

dimviii
21st September 2020, 15:53
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/tanaks-slow-driving-tactics-absolutely-stupid-makinen/

totaly unacceptable speach from a team owner/manager.

dimviii
21st September 2020, 16:11
Rallirinki / Teemu
@HartusvuoriWRC

Also, @dirtfish
should re-watch SS9 from All Live and explain how @thierryneuville
and @nicolasgilsoul
got away with that tyre change without penalties. File under: belts #WRC

Rallirinki / Teemu
@HartusvuoriWRC

Could @DirtFishRally
investigate how Rally Turkey stewards interpreted the fact Tänak - Järveoja did not put the OK sign on a visible place nor placed a red triangle. It's only regulations, I know, but still.

meh
21st September 2020, 17:22

Must admit it did seem pretty poor - he had the chance to Rally 2 then used it to employ every tactic possible.

If you want to keep your title-chances alive, you'll use every tactic possible. Simple as that. We can smart-ass here and be "smart after", they need to make their decision in a bit different situations.

Seems, that Tommy "Absolutely - Brilliant - Incredible - Fantastic" Mäkinen have some bitter candies to swallow. And if Toyota is going to use tactics to save title to one of their drivers, what to say then?

Jakem
21st September 2020, 18:46
Makinen just can´t handle the fact, that his hope that Orgier dominating with Yaris like Tanak did in 2019 never happend. This combo Tanak -Yaris was just unbeatable, all the rest were only able to fight with him if he had some problems.

mknight
21st September 2020, 23:34
I still did not really figure out what the point was with that mess on Sunday tbh....

Driving trough stage slowly to save tires is normal and ok, people do that all the time and some (Meeke, Mikkelsen, Ogier ++) have often done it in road-mode speed losing many minutes.

But what Tanak/Hyundai did:
- waited for some 15? or so mins before starting the stage out of order (just ahead of other Hyundais)
- went in the stage and parked on the side of the road after some 100 meters in for 5 mins or so

For what?
- Didn't do any cleaning difference for any of the cars/teams. (It was second pass anyway as well)
- Did still start the PS as first WRC after a few R5s, if they came on time they would seemingly start on similar position. This is because PS broadcast is fixed length (for TV) so they need a given number of cars in total.

eib1
22nd September 2020, 05:47
The point imo was to give Hyundais extra 4 minutes for dust disappear, but it did not help much, because dust wasn`t issue anymore (it was in the morning)

AnttiL
22nd September 2020, 06:02
The point imo was to give Hyundais extra 4 minutes for dust disappear, but it did not help much, because dust wasn`t issue anymore (it was in the morning)

This. They were expecting dust to be as bad so it would have given Neuville considerable advantage, not only by being able to drive faster but also to avoid puncture-causing stones.

meh
22nd September 2020, 06:15
This. They were expecting dust to be as bad so it would have given Neuville considerable advantage, not only by being able to drive faster but also to avoid puncture-causing stones.

AnttiL, how media in Finland is serving Mäkinen's comments on Tänak?

mknight
22nd September 2020, 06:41
Can't remember a stage driven at 10:10 local that had any dust issues lately. Guess they got a bit too dust-paranoid after friday evening.

AnttiL
22nd September 2020, 06:45
AnttiL, how media in Finland is serving Mäkinen's comments on Tänak?

There'a couple of articles which neutrally "translate" DirtFish's article, that's all.

Fast Eddie WRC
22nd September 2020, 09:26
Re Tanak / Hyundai / WRC tactics.

Can you imagine in F1 if a top team's car broke down early in a race. Then late on it got fixed and came back out and was just driven around to interfere with and slow other teams cars, and then they put new tyres on to steal the point for fastest lap ?

There would be a furore and calls of unsporting behaviour.

AnttiL
22nd September 2020, 09:36

Can you imagine in F1 if a top team's car broke down early in a race. Then late on it got fixed and came back out and was just driven around to interfere with and slow other teams cars, and then they put new tyres on to steal the point for fastest lap ?

I don't follow F1. Does fastest lap give extra points?

Also, Tänak wasn't deliberately interering or slowing down anyone (other than his teammates who had to pass him on the stage and be cautious at that). It would be a different story if Tänak had started slowly ahead of Ogier...

Fast Eddie WRC
22nd September 2020, 09:40
I don't follow F1. Does fastest lap give extra points?

Also, Tänak wasn't deliberately interering or slowing down anyone (other than his teammates who had to pass him on the stage and be cautious at that). It would be a different story if Tänak had started slowly ahead of Ogier...

Yep extra point for fastest lap.

Changing your starting position so as not to sweep the road for rival teams drivers could be seen as slowing them...

AnttiL
22nd September 2020, 09:53
Yep extra point for fastest lap.

Changing your starting position so as not to sweep the road for rival teams drivers could be seen as slowing them...

If sweeping was their main point, Tänak wouldn't have stopped on the stage but instead done the extra sweeping for his team mates. Dust was their main target this time.

EstWRC
22nd September 2020, 09:54
Who started these tactics hiding himself in forest before power stage and who was Tänak teammates with whom he learned this?

Ogier himself.

So don’t come crying here only about Ott and that comparison with F1 is just stupid.

Fast Eddie WRC
22nd September 2020, 09:58
You also have to question if Rally 2 is fair and what is it really for. I always thought it was so the fans could see more cars.

And also for drivers to get more experience. But with the top teams/drivers this really isnt the case any more...

Fast Eddie WRC
22nd September 2020, 10:03
Who started these tactics hiding himself in forest before power stage and who was Tänak teammates with whom he learned this?

Ogier himself.

So don’t come crying here only about Ott and that comparison with F1 is just stupid.

Calm down its just a discussion after Makinen's comments.

And Ogier only used this tactic after being disadvantaged by snow-ploughing and sweeping, not when coming back in Rally 2.

AnttiL
22nd September 2020, 10:06

And Ogier only used this tactic after being disadvantaged by snow-ploughing and sweeping, not when coming back in Rally 2.

Go look at Sweden 2019 again

TypeR
22nd September 2020, 10:09

what about 2019 Sweden and Sardegna? :rolleyes:

if M-Sport guys were in a position of possible title win, they would do the same.. it's a no-brainer that one wouldn't just give away points.

BigWorm
22nd September 2020, 10:12

Sorry I have to nitpick but if a fastest lap of the race is scored from a driver outside the top 10 it doesn't give that point in F1. But I see what you're getting at.

It's such a grey area this though. People want to see sportsmanlike actions but the drivers/teams will still want to make the best out of their situations as far as regulations allow them to.

AnttiL
22nd September 2020, 10:23
You also have to question if Rally 2 is fair and what is it really for. I always thought it was so the fans could see more cars.

And also for drivers to get more experience. But with the top teams/drivers this really isnt the case any more...

There's two main reasons

1. Driver power stage points (also in some cases the driver can still get to top 10 although under restart rules
2. Manufacturer points. No matter how low the car is in the overall standings, if it's the second best car of the team, it will get manufacturer points.

Rallying a WRC car is expensive, no one does it just to entertain fans. On some occasions they might use a restart day for testing to a subsequent event, not so much for "driver experience".

Rallyper
22nd September 2020, 10:26
Sorry I have to nitpick but if a fastest lap of the race is scored from a driver outside the top 10 it doesn't give that point in F1. But I see what you're getting at.

It's such a grey area this though. People want to see sportsmanlike actions but the drivers/teams will still want to make the best out of their situations as far as regulations allow them to.

A bit the same with Pontus driving "slower" than WRC3 guys. He wanted points in WRC2 and acted like he did bcs of that.
It´s all about tactics.

PLuto
22nd September 2020, 11:42
A bit the same with Pontus driving "slower" than WRC3 guys. He wanted points in WRC2 and acted like he did bcs of that.
It´s all about tactics.

But Pontus is driving "slower" also in times when he should fight with other competitors in WRC2 ;)

Rallyper
22nd September 2020, 13:15
But Pontus is driving "slower" also in times when he should fight with other competitors in WRC2 ;)

Ok. But leading the overall championship, doesn´t he?

PLuto
22nd September 2020, 15:36
Ok. But leading the overall championship, doesn´t he?

But only because Ostberg did one event less... Problem of WRC2 is also quality and mainly quantity of competitors. You can miss most of the stages, but if you will finish last day, you are still on podium...

Rallyper
22nd September 2020, 15:40
But only because Ostberg did one event less... Problem of WRC2 is also quality and mainly quantity of competitors. You can miss most of the stages, but if you will finish last day, you are still on podium...

However the subject was fast, faster, fastest...

Still you have to manage speed to lead a championship, no matter what yuo can tell about drivers speed. There is ifs and buts...

Rally Power
22nd September 2020, 16:31
Didn’t followed Turkey but apparently it was another ‘lottery on rocks/punctures paradise/demolition derby’, as in previous years. Anyway, congrats to Evans and Martin; a new WRC Brit champ could hopefully boost the sport in the UK.

AnttiL
22nd September 2020, 17:08

Also you might win events where your rivals don't even start.

pantealex
22nd September 2020, 21:23
Tommi is attacking wrong man. Ott only did what Adamo asked...

Drivers must do what bosses want!

TypeR
23rd September 2020, 06:44
Tommi is attacking wrong man. Ott only did what Adamo asked...

Drivers must do what bosses want!

and Tommi does what his wife wants..

hsmed
23rd September 2020, 06:47

Fastest lap in F1 only give a point if the driver finishes 10th or better. So in F1 they have taken specific care that the described situation cannot happen - they know, somebody would try it sooner or later.

pantealex
23rd September 2020, 06:57
and Tommi does what his wife wants..

They are not married ;)

Tarmop
23rd September 2020, 16:05
Would you prefer one man winning 4 rallies before the season ends or 4 crews chasing the title(s) until the last meter of the last event? We only have 3 manuf. left, one falling behind already.

pantealex
23rd September 2020, 16:48
Would you prefer one man winning 4 rallies before the season ends or 4 crews chasing the title(s) until the last meter of the last event? We only have 3 manuf. left, one falling behind already.

4 crews chasing title is my choice but if one man wins 4 events he deserves THE TITLE.

Sulland
23rd September 2020, 19:07

Yes, please let us get rid of this ridiculous system that pairs that has cars broken down on them or crashed, can score points at all. It is not logic!
If you are out, you can not score points in rally or in powerstage.
If you want to continue, it is only to practice, check notes or have fun.

Tarmop
23rd September 2020, 19:22
Without it we would lose the series probably.

dimviii
23rd September 2020, 21:24
“The system we use for the gear shift is run by an electric motor,” Fowler told DirtFish. “The magnet is part of that motor and it’s the magnet that failed. It’s shattered. It’s a really small part, like 40mm in diameter and 60mm long – really small. Incredible that it can cause this kind of problem.

“We’ve never seen this failure before and it’s pretty annoying. The magnet is why the problem was coming and going, because there was a piece of magnet in the motor that was getting stuck and it was resetting.

“We think there’s a manufacturing defect with the magnet. We’re analysing it and doing some chemistry with it to see exactly why it shattered, but we think it’s because the part was very, very new. Before Ogier used that motor it had only done the run-in procedure, it was at less than 10% of its life. It was well within its limits and its running limits. That motor was destined to fail from the moment it left the manufacturers.”

On the engine failure, Fowler added: “The only thing we know at this moment is that cylinder one was not functioning. We had a look inside the engine when the car came back from the stages, we drove the camera around inside [the cylinder] and from this we determined number one is no longer functional.

“Until the engine has been disassembled and some very in-depth study made it’s very difficult to say what damage we see inside is as a result of the engine failing and what actually started it to fail – [the] engine [was] turning very fast at moment of failure, it looks like a complete mess. We don’t know what really happened at the beginning until you really spend some time on it and that’s happening in Cologne at the moment.”

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/cause-of-ogiers-turkey-transmission-issue-revealed/

AndyRAC
24th September 2020, 09:19
Without it we would lose the series probably.

There's probably some truth in that.

However, it's another example of changing the sport, and it's principles in the chase for more manufacturers, more fans & media. Where do you draw the line?

AnttiL
24th September 2020, 09:36
Yes, please let us get rid of this ridiculous system that pairs that has cars broken down on them or crashed, can score points at all. It is not logic!

For sure the teams would not re-enter the cars without the possibility to gain points.

Another thing to consider is that up until the 90's, the cars were serviced between every stage (and more often still in the early 00's). Now they have to do up to 80 km of stages and even more of liaison between two services. That's still endurance racing!

Jarek Z
24th September 2020, 09:40

We had this discussion already 15 years ago:
https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/51737/superrally-rules-set-to-be-changed

doubled1978
24th September 2020, 12:40
For sure the teams would not re-enter the cars without the possibility to gain points.

Another thing to consider is that up until the 90's, the cars were serviced between every stage (and more often still in the early 00's). Now they have to do up to 80 km of stages and even more of liaison between two services. That's still endurance racing!

The reality is the sport has to offer maximum value for money for both the manufacture and the spectators. We aren’t in a position where we have so many entries it doesn’t matter if half the cars aren’t running on the last day.
While I like the meritocracy of out means out, I also as a spectator want to see all WRC cars running wherever possible to maximise my spectating experience, and the teams won’t run them unless there is something tangible to be gained from doing so.

dimviii
25th September 2020, 11:25
nice photo

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EiwUsB_XsAEoilc?format=jpg&name=large

Fast Eddie WRC
25th September 2020, 13:33
The reality is the sport has to offer maximum value for money for both the manufacture and the spectators. We aren’t in a position where we have so many entries it doesn’t matter if half the cars aren’t running on the last day.
While I like the meritocracy of out means out, I also as a spectator want to see all WRC cars running wherever possible to maximise my spectating experience, and the teams won’t run them unless there is something tangible to be gained from doing so.

Fair points.

All I would change is anyone returning under Rally2 is barred from changing their starting position, or any other tactic to advantage their team-mates and/or disadvantage their rivals.

AnttiL
25th September 2020, 14:32
Fair points.

All I would change is anyone returning under Rally2 is barred from changing their starting position, or any other tactic to advantage their team-mates and/or disadvantage their rivals.

You cannot write that in the rules. You can only forbid checking in early/late (which would be harsh for those who would actually have a problem and be late), but you still cannot forbid someone to stop in the stage...