PDA

View Full Version : Rally Discussion and Bar Talk Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14]

Jarek Z
20th December 2023, 12:37
Lancia and Audi's 1983 Monte duel has inspired a new movie:
https://youtu.be/EDjImq6gI1A?si=BJH3botI_ny_Krc-

But before that... there is "Ferrari", starring Adam Driver and Penélope Cruz. Has anybody seen it already?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERIBTIlVVJQ

Jarek Z
20th December 2023, 12:50
And... did anybody see Lamborghini?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzqwRxorvKE

SubaruNorway
21st December 2023, 20:19
Howard at Prodrive, great watch

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1048541099756651

EstWRC
22nd December 2023, 05:39
Autosport top50 drivers

https://www.autosport.com/topic/top-50-drivers-of-2023/2571/

Mackie
22nd December 2023, 06:51
Anyone else who think this is a weird list? Hulkenberg ahead of Johan Kristofferson, Bortoleto quite high and Norris ahead of Hamilton, Alonso and Rovanpera. I mean, Lawson ahead of Ogier?!

ictus
22nd December 2023, 10:51
yeah, and no Loeb

AndyRAC
22nd December 2023, 20:38
Anyone else who think this is a weird list? Hulkenberg ahead of Johan Kristofferson, Bortoleto quite high and Norris ahead of Hamilton, Alonso and Rovanpera. I mean, Lawson ahead of Ogier?!

It's always heavily biased in favour of F1; and series with a small number of top drivers tend to do poorly......

denkimi
23rd December 2023, 08:48
yeah, and no Loeb
except getting 2nd in dakar, what did loeb do this year?

TypeR
23rd December 2023, 09:06
Hulkenberg in that list :D :D lol

the sniper
31st December 2023, 19:54
The 'VHS Rallies' project is coming to an end (as expected. Thanks for their efforts), but in their closing statement they say:

Recently, however, I have been made aware that a deal has been struck that will see much of the
footage that originally inspired me released again - in better quality than I could ever aspire to
achieve from old VHS tapes, I expect, and with the potential for additional footage, never before
seen, to be enjoyed at last.

I would have dearly loved to have been a part of this process, of course, but since I could never
hope to bring any of the money required to make it happen, that seems unlikely to be the case. It
looks instead like I'll be waiting for it, like everyone else, and hopefully enjoying it, like everyone else.

https://twitter.com/VHSRallies/status/1741531490532348306

Anybody heard anything? Dirtfish video on demand service? Presumably concerns the Duke Video archive? If it were Rally.TV related, the line in bold wouldn't really make sense.

lmmjvss
31st December 2023, 20:08
So.... probably more old school rallying videos going behind paywalls? The world sucks, man hahah

HKSjbg
1st January 2024, 17:54
The 'VHS Rallies' project is coming to an end (as expected. Thanks for their efforts), but in their closing statement they say:

Anybody heard anything? Dirtfish video on demand service? Presumably concerns the Duke Video archive? If it were Rally.TV related, the line in bold wouldn't really make sense.

It is indeed sad to see it shuttered, many dozens, possibly hundreds of hours of mine have been lost to VHSR! Luckily there seems to be a lot more channels doing a similar thing (at least in terms of uploads, not necessarily the work to get those videos digitised) and some of VHSR’s old staples like Burns/Wilson era BRC are now on YouTube through other channels instead.

Recently I have been poring over some cracking WRC reviews of 1994, ‘95 and ‘96

1994: https://youtu.be/e3wmrrcACRA?si=rzCI8lRzgLL6H0bp

1995 rounds 1-7 playlist: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwzQUIg17eBaqIhNuFzfB75DVLIEDWrU1&si=8GTrrOUONGc2cI48

‘95 RAC: https://youtu.be/yzKbNB_WcZI?si=GhtXQF60Qpwt7M_q

1996: https://youtu.be/tQMLOw2AJwY?si=K3cvTPCoREJLnL_h

Hopefully the project VHSR speaks of won’t be too far off, won’t conflate the broad spectrum of rallying with just the WRC, and won’t be obscenely priced. All this hard work costs money and I suppose VHSR has a day job that requires priority :D

Brynmor Pierce
1st January 2024, 21:44

I’d hazard a guess it’s the AMTV archive ( Alastair Miller) as that was for sale recently ?

Jarek Z
2nd January 2024, 19:09
It's good to see such movie on the official website of Stellantis :)
https://www.media.stellantis.com/em-en/lancia/press/race-for-glory-the-movie-on-lancia-037-victory-at-1983-world-rally-championship-is-out-in-the-united-states-and-canada-on-january-5th-2024

Brynmor Pierce
3rd January 2024, 17:57

Seems I was wrong, it’s actually due to Dirtfish buying the BHP Sport archive 12 months ago and looking to make it commercially available.

HKSjbg
3rd January 2024, 19:05
Ahhh, maybe I can finally re-watch the 1987 British Open Championship finally :D

lmmjvss
6th January 2024, 19:50
Just me or all of that Dakar Hype is already dead? I mean, sure, Im interested... but not like the past 2 years.
Weird...

Eli
6th January 2024, 20:27
Just me or all of that Dakar Hype is already dead? I mean, sure, Im interested... but not like the past 2 years.
Weird...

No it’s not dead, whilst I wish it would be run over 3 weeks and in more than just one country, the scenery is still beautiful, the fight is still intense and this might be the first time since 2021 that a manufacturer other than Toyota will take the win. Also since 2021 you have the classics category to watch which is always interesting. The biggest shame is that there’s only Eurosport’s highlights of one hour after each day, and in this day & age, you’d expect a lot more coverage, especially from a race that is as unique as the Dakar.

AndyRAC
7th January 2024, 09:52
The biggest shame is that there’s only Eurosport’s highlights of one hour after each day, and in this day & age, you’d expect a lot more coverage, especially from a race that is as unique as the Dakar.

Yeah, but more coverage would cost money; and the ASO don't like spending when they don't have to....... #cheapskates #tightarses

Myrvold
10th January 2024, 00:41

I'm actually quite surprised about Duke not going on an attack.

I remember finding some old VHS tapes myself that I uploaded. Loads got taken down by Duke, even stuff they never had (other productions). And the ones that Duke also had, wasn't made by Duke, but was sold to Duke so they could distribute it to other parts of the world. So it should in reality only be geo-locked. Duke used to be extremely takedown-oriented.

lmmjvss
12th January 2024, 13:11
What I meant about the Hype about Dakar was "THE HYPE", not the actuaaal race, cuz yep, it is a great racing. But I was feeling that the whole "OH NOW EVERYBODY WANTS TO RACE DAKAR" hype was cooling off, u'know?
Just read that Audi is shutting down their program to focus on F1, for example. Such a shame, that was a really cool and different car. WEC hype will probably also cool off after 2025 (maybe?) Same way Rallycross, TouringCars and FormulaE hypes ended. Motocross is experiencing this huuuuge boom with Stark, Beta, GasGas, Triumph, Ducatti all joining (or at least trying to join) the American and World Championships.
Cycles... motorsport is all about Cycles.

Rallyper
15th January 2024, 08:17
Haven´t seen Dimviii for a while now. Anyone did? Would like to share a good cup of coffee with him again. Or beer...

dimviii
15th January 2024, 12:42
here i am Per!
will you come at Greece again?

Rallyper
15th January 2024, 16:52
here i am Per!
will you come at Greece again?

Aaahhh! Great!! I´d like to. Nothing written in stone yet. We´ll see.

lmmjvss
15th January 2024, 23:46
Sudden Thoughts: If we exclude "WRC" from "Rally discussions in life in general", theres no "discussions" anymore.. just good racing, great videos on the internet, great fun for drivers and spectators, rad cars, ugly cars, people trying new weird stuff. MAYBE the WORLD Championship is the problem........... We keep talking about this here and it sucks and we are missing all the great stories happening in every other national championship, local championship...... u'know? We are not sharing local stories, we are not talking bout OUR rally cars... we keep talking about WHAT MILLION EURO CARS THESE RICH COMPANIES SHOULD BE RACING NEXT YEAR? hahaha dammit, WRC is losing me day by day

Rallyper
16th January 2024, 09:07
Sudden Thoughts: If we exclude "WRC" from "Rally discussions in life in general", theres no "discussions" anymore.. just good racing, great videos on the internet, great fun for drivers and spectators, rad cars, ugly cars, people trying new weird stuff. MAYBE the WORLD Championship is the problem........... We keep talking about this here and it sucks and we are missing all the great stories happening in every other national championship, local championship...... u'know? We are not sharing local stories, we are not talking bout OUR rally cars... we keep talking about WHAT MILLION EURO CARS THESE RICH COMPANIES SHOULD BE RACING NEXT YEAR? hahaha dammit, WRC is losing me day by day

10+

So I change subject.

Guys, what rallycars did you own and actually drove in (local) rallies? Tell me. Brand, years (wins?) etz.
I promise I will give answers too.
Please, get started!!

becher
18th January 2024, 10:14
EPS Motorsport is building a replica of the mid engined quattro mule, one can follow the build on YouTube:

https://youtube.com/@EPSDaveRowe?feature=shared

fiscorpun
18th January 2024, 12:46
I have a feeling that Toyota will not win WRC and WEC in 2024. Add losing Dakar too.
It could be a "bad" year for the Japanese brand.

240RS
25th January 2024, 09:22
Monte Shakedown confirmed what many suspected all along - the drivers' championship is a three-horse race.

If you add the interloopers - Ogier, Rovanpera and Lappi - you get a total of 6 who can realistically win a round outright. Overall, Abiteboul's stated target of 5/6 wins would appear low if he is keen on both championships. It does appear that Toyota and Hyundai will split all 13 rounds between them. Even allowing for a higher ratio of second car placings, the minimum target cannot be less than 7.

On a different note, there is bound to be an intense rivalry between Neuville and Tanak. Some tasty fights worth looking forward to.

Morte66
28th January 2024, 20:56
I suppose since I decided on Thursday morning to support Pajari in WRC2 because I like the sound of his name, I should pass some comments on him.

It turns out he's Finnish (I thought he was Hungarian) and drives for Toyota. He looks so young. He has a woman co-driver, Enni Mälkönen, which is nice to see. He won JWRC, I knew I'd heard of him somewhere.

I watched him through the stages in RMC. He... came for snow and ice, and kind of ambled around on the tarmac. I suppose I shall draw comfort from him coming top of the drivers who weren't entered for points. I am also tickled that Ciamin said at one stage end that he was in a battle with Pajari because I don't think Pajari was having a battle with Ciamin.

So, I think he'll do.

The Toyota 3-cylinder, though, sounds like half a V6. Not good.

Roll on Sweden.

fiscorpun
1st February 2024, 00:58
It must be very cool for the riders doing the "small" british hard enduro championship and seeing on the entrylist THE CURRENT FIM WORLD HARD ENDURO CHAMPION Mani Lettenbichler... AND multi time champion Jonny Walker.
Cuz, you know, in these championships where the "top class" is just a "regular bike", you may end up facing THE WORLD CHAMPION in a small event. Lots of people still going to the woods to watch those fellas ride, even more when WORLD CHAMPIONS are racing there, "out of nothing", simply because "Oh they are all on the same bike". These feelings push me into "Ok, WRC top class gotta be Rally2. We gotta be closer to these "national" championships. Whats the point on being the PLAYBOY series, u'know? "OH BUT FORMULA 1" shhh, to hell with F1, jeezz haha
(I keep talking way too much with myself...)

TypeR
1st February 2024, 18:35
Not rally discussion, but easily bar talk topic..

BREAKING news!

Fan or not, but for sure it shakes motorsport world and fans.

Hamilton joins Ferrari from 2025!

Eli
1st February 2024, 18:48

BREAKING news!

Now all we need is Verstappen in Mercedes lol, but in all seriousness, not really surprised as Ferrari were silent about Carlos for some time and we also know Sainz Sr. is/was with Audi in the Dakar so it was only time before his son followed suit.

seb_sh
1st February 2024, 19:00
Now all we need is Verstappen in Mercedes lol, but in all seriousness, not really surprised as Ferrari were silent about Carlos for some time and we also know Sainz Sr. is/was with Audi in the Dakar so it was only time before his son followed suit.

Hamilton said several times he'd like to drive for Ferrari, seems everyone does at some point, all great champions have except for Senna who also said he wanted to do it.

Sainz wanted to stay and was negotiating with Ferrari until a couple weeks ago. In 2025 there are openings at all teams except for Ferrari and McLaren. The Sainz Sr. connection is obvious but I think there are more important things so it could mean something or it could mean nothing. He's shown enough that most teams would want him so in my opinion Red Bull or Mercedes could also be possible destinations. Maybe Audi will bring out the checkbook and offer him a long term deal, who knows. The Silly Season is going to be great this year.

AndyRAC
1st February 2024, 19:03
It must be very cool for the riders doing the "small" british hard enduro championship and seeing on the entrylist THE CURRENT FIM WORLD HARD ENDURO CHAMPION Mani Lettenbichler... AND multi time champion Jonny Walker.
Cuz, you know, in these championships where the "top class" is just a "regular bike", you may end up facing THE WORLD CHAMPION in a small event. Lots of people still going to the woods to watch those fellas ride, even more when WORLD CHAMPIONS are racing there, "out of nothing", simply because "Oh they are all on the same bike". These feelings push me into "Ok, WRC top class gotta be Rally2. We gotta be closer to these "national" championships. Whats the point on being the PLAYBOY series, u'know? "OH BUT FORMULA 1" shhh, to hell with F1, jeezz haha
(I keep talking way too much with myself...)

A good prep run for the FIM Hard Enduro round later this year. And we'll also get an EnduroGP round in Rhayader........

Paul Hudson
1st February 2024, 19:36
Not Really interested in F1 in this thread, and if i was in a Bar with like minded Rally folk and you started talking F1 , I would leave, so Bye

WRCStan
1st February 2024, 19:43
Not Really interested in F1 in this thread, and if i was in a Bar with like minded Rally folk and you started talking F1 , I would leave, so Bye

:D

fiscorpun
1st February 2024, 20:41

BREAKING news!

Haha I had to check to see if it this was true! Weird. From time to time I try to watch F1 but it turns me off soooo quickly. Its the DRS. I cant stand that. Rarely a Ferrari would be in front of Lewis (Pre 2021) or in front of Max (since then), and IT IS already an impossible task to hold the fastest car/driver... but the fight doesnt even last ONE LAP nowadays. Its so dumb. Its honestly unbliveable that everybody is ok with that! haha Thats like... "well, here comes Messi/Ronaldo with the ball, tell the goalie to leave the goal open"

Edit: Just read that the new Formula 2 cars had this new weird super high rear wing (It looks cool tbh) but that will IMPROVE even more the DRS effects haha And they are testing that on F2 before adopting in F1, like with the 18' tires or something like that. So... EVEN MORE effect for DRS. "The drag will slow the leader way more now".... haha WHY!?! FFS, WTF is happening

DoN_cz
2nd February 2024, 05:15
:)

seb_sh
2nd February 2024, 06:07

See you next week!

While he's gone do you reckon Marquez can win MotoGP on a privateer year old Ducati? :p

AndyRAC
2nd February 2024, 08:37

No, me neither. And once upon a time I never missed a race......

It's utter garbage, a lack of action - with most of the stories off track. I no longer see the attraction of it. The amount of attention from the media, and the public astounds me. Motorsport for people who know very little about motorsport.......As they don't know of any other series.

Rallyper
2nd February 2024, 08:50

I´d only order new beer and change table... :)

WRCStan
2nd February 2024, 15:13
Politics now then. Topic Milei's Argentina - chances of a WRC round in the coming years?

seb_sh
2nd February 2024, 15:19
Politics now then. Topic Milei's Argentina - chances of a WRC round in the coming years?

Exactly 0

The MotoGP round just got cancelled and even though they have a contract for next year no one is expecting that to happen.

Meanwhile Dirtfish had an article link about Paraguay in WRC in 2025 buy seems they pulled it before I could read it.

lmmjvss
2nd February 2024, 18:50
Exactly 0

The MotoGP round just got cancelled and even though they have a contract for next year no one is expecting that to happen..

The World Motocross round in Argentina was also being rumored to be cancelled but it is still up.... so far.

Sal yet again
3rd February 2024, 17:27
https://rallies.info/webentry/2024/malcolmwilson/entries.php?type=u

Serderidis doing the Malcolm Wilson in the Lake District again in March as a warm up for the rest of the season

rallyfiend
3rd February 2024, 20:42
Exactly 0

The MotoGP round just got cancelled and even though they have a contract for next year no one is expecting that to happen.

Meanwhile Dirtfish had an article link about Paraguay in WRC in 2025 buy seems they pulled it before I could read it.

There was an article about WRC in Nashville that also seems to have disappeared.

What's going on at DirtFish?

AndyRAC
3rd February 2024, 21:47
The World Motocross round in Argentina was also being rumored to be cancelled but it is still up.... so far.

It wouldn't be the biggest surprise if that went as well; I think it was last year when it got pitiful entries (might have been 2022) - not a good look. The MXGP promoters are as bad as the WRC's.....

rallyfiend
3rd February 2024, 22:23
It wouldn't be the biggest surprise if that went as well; I think it was last year when it got pitiful entries (might have been 2022) - not a good look. The MXGP promoters are as bad as the WRC's.....

I think it's the same local promoter for both, isn't it? WRC and MXGP?

fiscorpun
3rd February 2024, 23:18

2022 was really weird but Tbh the round in Argentina in 2023 had the biggest number of entries Or something like that. More than 32 riders if I remember correctly. Almost 15 south americans, I think?

MXGP has also being super weird. The grids looks so empty. They keep going to asian countries to race in fake tracks with 14 riders starting the races. I dont understand. Covid is a factor, sure, and they are going to recover. But its weird to see such a simple sport having so little entries. OR MAYBE the promoter WANTS to have just the top facotry teams? Idk. Hope it gets better for 2024, at least on the european rounds.

AndyRAC
4th February 2024, 08:32
2022 was really weird but Tbh the round in Argentina in 2023 had the biggest number of entries Or something like that. More than 32 riders if I remember correctly. Almost 15 south americans, I think?

MXGP has also being super weird. The grids looks so empty. They keep going to asian countries to race in fake tracks with 14 riders starting the races. I dont understand. Covid is a factor, sure, and they are going to recover. But its weird to see such a simple sport having so little entries. OR MAYBE the promoter WANTS to have just the top facotry teams? Idk. Hope it gets better for 2024, at least on the european rounds.

Yes, you're right - it was 2022 that was poor - last year was the first round of the championship - and the return of 'The Bullet'.

lmmjvss
5th February 2024, 00:33
Jesus Christ, the guy behind Formula-E and Extreme-E is KINDA behind or supporting this NEW AND INCREDIBLE ELECTRIC BOAT RACING that was CREATED TO HELP SAVE THE PLANET.... you know.... by adding RACING BOATS into eco-systems that DIDNT HAD RACING BOATS before... and somehow this will help the local eco-systems....????????
And you can watch the FULL ROUND 1 in SAUDI ARABIA here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgI4aB9xhXY

You see that it is a success when they CLOSE the comments on youtube.

Rallyper
5th February 2024, 08:18
Jesus Christ, the guy behind Formula-E and Extreme-E is KINDA behind or supporting this NEW AND INCREDIBLE ELECTRIC BOAT RACING that was CREATED TO HELP SAVE THE PLANET.... you know.... by adding RACING BOATS into eco-systems that DIDNT HAD RACING BOATS before... and somehow this will help the local eco-systems....????????

Hahahahahahaha... And Becs sold out her soul..

wyler
5th February 2024, 11:28

didn't get the rant about the ecosystem... these boats surely are less dangerous than any other boat already there. i'm not sure, but i guess they race in port envinronment, or at least in some extremely anthopogenic area. so...

HKSjbg
5th February 2024, 17:30
didn't get the rant about the ecosystem... these boats surely are less dangerous than any other boat already there. i'm not sure, but i guess they race in port envinronment, or at least in some extremely anthopogenic area. so...

Immjvss can correct me if I’m wrong but I think the nature of the rant is “what is the f***ing point of this?” The ecosystem of the waterways would be in better shape simply by this championship not existing.

You can’t even justify there being some eco-friendly personal transportation message as hydrofoil speedboats are not ubiquitous like cars are. I don’t think FE is doing a good job of convincing a lot of people here that BEVs are the way forward but it at least makes morw sense than E1.

How many people are there honestly out there who would watch that and be convinced to change their ways and change their gas-guzzling speedboat (or perhaps fishing trawler) to a battery electric version because Didier Drogba says its good for the planet? :rotflmao:

wyler
5th February 2024, 18:20
Immjvss can correct me if I’m wrong but I think the nature of the rant is “what is the f***ing point of this?” The ecosystem of the waterways would be in better shape simply by this championship not existing.

You can’t even justify there being some eco-friendly personal transportation message as hydrofoil speedboats are not ubiquitous like cars are. I don’t think FE is doing a good job of convincing a lot of people here that BEVs are the way forward but it at least makes morw sense than E1.

How many people are there honestly out there who would watch that and be convinced to change their ways and change their gas-guzzling speedboat (or perhaps fishing trawler) to a battery electric version because Didier Drogba says its good for the planet? :rotflmao:

“what is the f***ing point of this?” totally the correct question! i don't get yours.
i don't get all this argument you both come up with. it's just made up to say electric is sh*t, which is quite off-topic. things you say is very loosely related to this.

"The ecosystem of the waterways would be in better shape simply by this championship not existing." what's the basis of this claim? you have some data? as i told before, the environment of the race is already so anthropogenic that these boats literally don't matter at all.

on the other part, is very loosely related to a marketing strategy that is way more simple. they just claim to do a race with new tech that has a lower impact compared to similar power other tech. sideways they do some nudging and some divulgation, and maybe they finance some environmental small projects. that's it. i really don't see all that argument, unless someone tries to make it up.

anyway, i'm not so interested in motorboat racing and i have no need to defend this thing, i just find that claim wrong.
let's move on!

Steve Boyd
6th February 2024, 00:13
… DIDNT HAD RACING BOATS before...Never heard of this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az7zhN5Dk0g

fiscorpun
8th February 2024, 20:49
Well.... Cupra, LewisHamilton/Carlin team and ChipGanassi/Chevy are all quitting Extreme-E for 2024.
Rumor is that one more team may quit in the next week. They are all saying they are curious about the plan for next year where the car will use Hydrogen (FIA is backing that too, some say "VW and Toyota" may be behind the move....???), but no commitments so far. Extreme-H will be the new name for 2025. The new car already had its shakedown, but on paved roads only (not sure if they went off road already for testing)

fiscorpun
10th February 2024, 15:12
Well.... Cupra, LewisHamilton/Carlin team and ChipGanassi/Chevy are all quitting Extreme-E for 2024.
Rumor is that one more team may quit in the next week. They are all saying they are curious about the plan for next year where the car will use Hydrogen (FIA is backing that too, some say "VW and Toyota" may be behind the move....???), but no commitments so far. Extreme-H will be the new name for 2025. The new car already had its shakedown, but on paved roads only (not sure if they went off road already for testing)

Carl Cox Motorsport left the championship today. Thats FOUR teams.

rallyfiend
10th February 2024, 16:40
Seems the almost complete subsidy from Extreme E themselves has been turned off, and with no other forms of income the teams have said ‘adios’….

HKSjbg
13th February 2024, 20:24

Is this what was alluded to possibly? https://youtu.be/0JeYoTTXg_I?si=pshIWchU1tyY8Sbu

Corcaíoch
14th February 2024, 20:51
Quick question regarding rally podcasts or similar, I listened to the Gravel Notes preview podcast for Sweden and the Dirtfish one, and some of the Powerslide Podcast. Are there other podcasts out there, in English, worth listening to?

seb_sh
15th February 2024, 08:03
Quick question regarding rally podcasts or similar, I listened to the Gravel Notes preview podcast for Sweden and the Dirtfish one, and some of the Powerslide Podcast. Are there other podcasts out there, in English, worth listening to?

I'm afraid that's it for that style of podcasts, there used to be Absolute Rally but it ended a year or two ago. There is also the WRC Backstories podcast, it's more about interviews with certain people similar to F1 Beyond the Grid, there are some nice ones :)

Gregor-y
16th February 2024, 01:09
There was an article about WRC in Nashville that also seems to have disappeared.

What's going on at DirtFish?
It wass spiritually an Irish event.

On again, off again, gone again, Finnigan

Morte66
18th February 2024, 08:55
Do we know which rounds Ogier and Rovanpera are doing this year? In particular, do we know about Kenya and Croatia?

Morte66
19th February 2024, 16:22
I just saw this said about Dani Sordo: "At one point he was the most successful WRC driver without a win to their name." The wording implies that he no longer has that distinction. But I can't think who would have replaced him.

Any offers?

If I were guessing wildly in a pub quiz, I might go for Mikkelsen in his VW years. I don't think he beat Ogier much, but he probably got a few podiums in that dominant car.

WRCStan
19th February 2024, 16:26
I just saw this said about Dani Sordo: "At one point he was the most successful WRC driver without a win to their name." The wording implies that he no longer has that distinction.

He probably won a rally since.

HKSjbg
19th February 2024, 16:36
I just saw this said about Dani Sordo: "At one point he was the most successful WRC driver without a win to their name." The wording implies that he no longer has that distinction. But I can't think who would have replaced him.

Any offers?

If I were guessing wildly in a pub quiz, I might go for Mikkelsen in his VW years. I don't think he beat Ogier much, but he probably got a few podiums in that dominant car.

He might still hold that record. In terms of active drivers still currently without a win it will be someone else, but the record of rallies without yet scoring your first win is probably still Sordo up until he won Rallye Deutschland 2013

TypeR
19th February 2024, 16:46
Can't understand what's the question..?

This is a quote from yesterday's Dirtfish article.
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/the-five-longest-waits-for-a-second-wrc-win/

It took almost eight years at the top level for Dani Sordo to score his first WRC win. At one point he was the most successful WRC driver without a win to their name.

That wait finally came to an end on Rally Germany 2013.

denkimi
20th February 2024, 09:06
sordo had 20 2nd places and 16 3th places in wrc to his name before his first win in 2013. And then another 10 podiums till his second win in 2019.

It's a remarkable carreer, always being completely at the top but never winning.

Gregor-y
20th February 2024, 19:06
To be fair it was as a teammate to Loeb at Citroen, an aberration to the WRC that caused plenty of knock-on effects.

seb_sh
20th February 2024, 20:16
Also fun fact, in a way Sordo was the perfect team mate to Loeb, he was consistent enough to bring points but not fast enough to really challenge him. But crucially he was fast enough especially on tarmac to slot between Loeb and his rivals, Gronholm and later Hirvonen. In this era the title contenders often finished 1-2 and the points were 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 so if you had just one more position between then the margin was double. Of course this is all hypothetical but you could say Loeb owes Sordo some beers for the following titles:

2006 - title victory margin is 1 point - Sordo finished in P2 behind Loeb but ahead of Gronholm in Spain and Germany - difference of 4p in Loebs favour compared to if Sordo was not there
2007 - title victory margin is 4 points - Sordo finished in P2 splitting them in Monte and Spain plus he finished P3 ahead of Gronholm in P4 in Portugal so that's one more point for a total of 5
2009 - title victory margin is 1 point - Sordo finished P2 in Monte and Spain splitting Loeb and Hirvonen giving Loeb 4p in total

So teoretically if Loeb had some worse team-mate we would have Loeb 6x WDC, Gronholm 4x WDC and Hirvonen 1x WDC.

Now interestingly the reverse combinations (Gronholm-Hirvonen and Hirvonen-Latavala) were less effective:
2007 - Hirvonen took 2 points away from Gronholm by winning Norway when Loeb retired, but the did slot between them once in Finland so total is 0 - you could argue it was too soon for tactics as Norway was round 3
2009 - Latvala never slotted between the title contenders but was allowed to win Italy ahead of Hirvonen even after it was already clear he had no chance at the title - to be fair Hirvonen had not yet won a rally that season but then went on to win 4 in succession

So yeah, this is all hindsight and there are mitigating circumstances, for example in 2009 Wilson let Latvala take the win because he was coming off a bad streak and wanted to boost his morale. Team tactics are hard decisions to take but maybe sometimes you need to be ruthless if you really want the trophy. So let's say MSport declares Gronholm the team leader in 2007 and the switch them already at round 3, and they buy Latvala a beer in Italy 2009 but make him give up the win we have Loeb 7x WDC, Gronholm 3x WDC and Hirvonen 1x WDC.

Now this topic often comes up in the silly season, about having a team-mate to help for the title. I actually went back almost 30 years and I saw no more examples of anyone actually making the difference to decide the title. There are some cases where they helped but in the end it didn't matter. There are a lot of cases like the counter examples above, where team-mates took points away from each other. So it seems the team mate matters very little, maybe in like 10% of cases, the rest it's more important to be good and have a good team and car.

So after I did all this investigating I actually think Sordo is maybe under-rated, by some at least. I'm happy for him that he got 3 wins and not all on tarmac. What do you think?

PLuto
20th February 2024, 21:30
Also fun fact, in a way Sordo was the perfect team mate to Loeb, he was consistent enough to bring points but not fast enough to really challenge him.?

He was asked not to challenge him...

Morte66
20th February 2024, 22:36
I only know Sordo from 2016 onwards. FWIW... in my time, the most important thing about Sordo was that he was prepared to be a support driver.

I remember when Adamo hired Breen for Wales, specifically with the brief of driving safely and being sure to finish, in case one of the top Hyundai drivers went out. It was public, Adamo said it, and Breen said it, that was his job. Breen did the job for three or four stages then started talking about competing for the win and rolled the car.

Sordo was the opposite of that. And he was quick enough to come 5th or 6th (in a world with VW) whilst driving within himself and finishing reliably.

seb_sh
21st February 2024, 05:49

I suppose there were team orders on tarmac but on gravel he was usually behind, so for the championship in that era he couldn't really challenge him. So in that way for the championship it makes sense what they did.

TypeR
26th February 2024, 15:48
Happy 50th birthday Maestro Loeb!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GHR2i0vWwAIVrHx?format=jpg&name=small

dimviii
26th February 2024, 17:23

you really believe that Sordo he could beat him?

PLuto
26th February 2024, 18:05

I have never told it...

denkimi
27th February 2024, 07:22
on some occasions, yes. he could have had a few more wins than he has now.

But sordo was smart enough to not do that, and that's how he managed to stay in the wrc for 18 years.

focus206
27th February 2024, 11:08
The only instances I could find in which Citroen could have asked Sordo not to challenge Loeb are Catalunya 2007 and Catalunya 2009. Maybe New Zealand 2008, but was a particular case, as Hirvonen and Latvala threw the rally away at the penultimate stage while they were 1st and 2nd.

seb_sh
27th February 2024, 12:13
The only instances I could find in which Citroen could have asked Sordo not to challenge Loeb are Catalunya 2007 and Catalunya 2009. Maybe New Zealand 2008, but was a particular case, as Hirvonen and Latvala threw the rally away at the penultimate stage while they were 1st and 2nd.

I think he was sometimes close on tarmac and that would create some pressure, except both would know that they will hold position. Anyway overall he was under control and never a danger to Loeb in the championship.

focus206
27th February 2024, 12:19
I think he was sometimes close on tarmac and that would create some pressure, except both would know that they will hold position. Anyway overall he was under control and never a danger to Loeb in the championship.

The times Sordo was close on tarmac are the ones I wrote, all the other times he was behind Loeb, Sordo was 30+ seconds back pretty soon.
Another time they were close was Ireland 2007, but then Sordo made a mistake and dropped back. Maybe someone can provide other examples, if they exist.

fiscorpun
27th February 2024, 18:42
This is just incredible.... and Im NOT a F1 fan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq72S36dJqw
Crazy to think that THESE GUYS are WRC promoters........................... but........ eh......... why bother doing cool stuff with their own series

saco0o
28th February 2024, 18:14
long time reader. decided to create an account to comment too.
just wanted to share this weird thing i do. im not into f1 anymore since drs.
but i love watching the qualifying. i almost see it as a rallying event to be honest.
try that if you are also not into f1. the qualys are really fun to watch. like rally sprint.

AndyRAC
29th February 2024, 08:20
This is just incredible.... and Im NOT a F1 fan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq72S36dJqw
Crazy to think that THESE GUYS are WRC promoters........................... but........ eh......... why bother doing cool stuff with their own series

I do wonder just how much influence Red Bull actually has within WRC Promoter......

Rallyper
3rd March 2024, 16:19
What´s the upside of having 3-cyl engine in Rally2 car?

WRCStan
3rd March 2024, 16:38

25% saving on spark plugs.

becher
3rd March 2024, 18:18
25% saving on spark plugs.

If your Pistons start flying out the block you'll also only have to buy three instead of four.

becher
3rd March 2024, 18:21

On a more serious note, a reduction in friction for sure and I guess depending on the base engines available by the OEM potentially a more suitable bore/stroke ratio for the restrictor size in Rally2.

Rallyper
5th March 2024, 13:24
Today Kai Tarkiainen released the itinerary for Secto Rally Finland. "Best ever" route he says. I tend to agree fully. I will let any of you Finnish guys to start Rally Finland thread, but here is (I hope) correct link:

https://sectorallyfinland.fi/en/itinerary/

TypeR
5th March 2024, 13:50
Best ever route...

SUPERHYPER Sunday with total of 41km
and 8km powerstage.. :(

Rallyper
5th March 2024, 14:08
Maybe part of the new concept. I don´t know. Sunday always depends on where you are in standings...

Laajavuori will be crowded...

saco0o
12th March 2024, 00:52
what are the biggest/best (?) rally sprint championships right now? do any of those have some decent coverage? (like new zealand rally champ or the irish champ)

EstWRC
18th March 2024, 09:45
This looks great https://x.com/ewrcresults/status/1769676592479875363?s=46&t=AWria8OgC1kV5QC61vX5Xg

Eli
18th March 2024, 10:08
This looks great https://x.com/ewrcresults/status/1769676592479875363?s=46&t=AWria8OgC1kV5QC61vX5Xg

Now this I would love to see as Toyota's livery next year...0 percent of it happening I know but we can keep on dreaming.

Fast Eddie WRC
18th March 2024, 11:30

Looks great and is great news for the BRC !

The fantastic livery is thanks to MEM and their ongoing connection with Castrol.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GBYU6pvXMAAI3sx?format=jpg&name=medium

Nice to see the inspiration there too...
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GI8v7BsWUAAAvTu?format=jpg&name=large

Livery by Keane Design:
https://www.instagram.com/p/C4p8yJWMc55/?igsh=MXN1cjdleWw0Zmlhag==

Sal yet again
19th March 2024, 08:18
Yesterday sadly saw the passing of 2 names from rallying's past with both Kenjiro Shinosuka and Joaquim Santos leaving this life RIP both

Jarek Z
19th March 2024, 13:32
Rest in peace Kenjiro Shinozuka! :(
https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/wrc-and-dakar-winner-kenjiro-shinozuka-dies-aged-75/10588643/

https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/amp/2y3qEog6/s1000/kenjiro-shinozuka-pentti-kuuka.webp

Fast Eddie WRC
19th March 2024, 17:02
WRC for the UK after all ? ;)

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/satire/potholes-north-london-closed-and-added-permanent-new-wrc-rally-stage

Eli
24th March 2024, 18:16
Some tragic news unfortunately on a local Hungarian rally: https://dirtfish.com/rally/four-dead-in-accident-at-hungarian-rally/

saco0o
28th March 2024, 12:36
a sega rally game tribute! just stop everything you are doing and watch. cant wait to put my hands on that.
https://youtu.be/2XryAiKvO-o?feature=shared

seb_sh
28th March 2024, 17:14
you might also like these 2 retro inspired rally games:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1959280/Over_Jump_Rally/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2824660/Old_School_Rally/

and of course art of rally:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/550320/art_of_rally/

saco0o
28th March 2024, 18:44
you might also like these 2 retro inspired rally games:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1959280/Over_Jump_Rally/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2824660/Old_School_Rally/

and of course art of rally:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/550320/art_of_rally/

*o*
!!!!!!!!

Jarek Z
30th March 2024, 11:29
40 years of Prodrive!

1984 - Porsche 911:
https://www.facebook.com/prodriveofficial/posts/pfbid0hoNLEDfMQYBJcWUvSDeZ8jJCZ8P8RsBvDmnKR7pmFbQJ ZsH9g2U3Hq6vNvo74ctsl

1986 - MG Metro 6R4
https://www.facebook.com/prodriveofficial/posts/pfbid0jGSfS6bnbyR2ac5fQPSRWZWt6rqm2zNUUz9QZQAYo42i SxSAPdfD9SBSRkAxjeJul

1987 - BMW M3
https://www.facebook.com/prodriveofficial/posts/pfbid02Bmo1B41DGLcGg6kq7eBf8Ak5Tc1vjZNXCMG6U8o5orE eiEELzaaLu7aRsT9hLPmvl

Those were the days! :)

SubaruNorway
31st March 2024, 18:58
I wonder which rally1 driver lost their license in Sweden....

Rallyper
1st April 2024, 07:42
I wonder which rally1 driver lost their license in Sweden....

You mean drivers license, not rally license?

SubaruNorway
1st April 2024, 09:31
You mean drivers license, not rally license?

Yes, but unlike Petter was able to finish the rally within the 48 hours you still have to drive

Franky
2nd April 2024, 12:08
Liberty Media is acquiring MotoGP for 4,5 billion USD

saco0o
2nd April 2024, 13:49
Liberty Media is acquiring MotoGP for 4,5 billion USD

i thought there were some european laws impeding that from happening. weird. liberty did a really good job with f1, cannot deny that. the racing in f1 is shitty because of fia tho. motogp has the best road racing on the planet. liberty will have the greatest product ever on their hands.

seb_sh
2nd April 2024, 17:05
motogp has the best road racing on the planet.

WSBK would like a word with you

flat_right
2nd April 2024, 20:40
the racing in f1 is shitty because of fia tho.

What? :D How is FIA guilty of RB building a good car and signing the best driver? And I'm not saying that RB is the best car - take away Max and replace him with anyone and we would have an awesome series.

typhoon
2nd April 2024, 22:13
WSBK would like a word with you

Since Liberty Media bought Dorna (MotoGP), WSBK is in their hands as well.

flat_right
3rd April 2024, 06:31
I wonder, has FIA or whoever makes the rules in WRC, thought about a Formula 1 like solution where if you win manufacture title, then you get less development time. For example Ford could have 1.5 times of everything (testing, jokers). This would maybe help to bridge the gap or at least give an opportunity to make the team more competitive.

saco0o
3rd April 2024, 11:51
What? :D How is FIA guilty of RB building a good car and signing the best driver? And I'm not saying that RB is the best car - take away Max and replace him with anyone and we would have an awesome series.

i meant drs. fia's people watched too many motogp racing in 2010 and started with that "we need more overtakes" thrend that took over motorsport. i honestly dont understand how a ferrari holding an already faster redbull (or mercedes back in lewis dominance) for 10 laps on track is less exciting than that already faster redbull passing an already 'slower' ferrari in one straight without a fight. same for when lewis was winning races starting from the back of the grid. it was already the fastest car, but nobody had a chance to fight and hold him because of drs. thats what i meant.

seb_sh
4th April 2024, 09:27
Since Liberty Media bought Dorna (MotoGP), WSBK is in their hands as well.

I know, that wasn't the point...

Fast Eddie WRC
6th April 2024, 11:25
I'm getting this message on eWRC since yesterday (Chrome for Android).

On eWRC site settings there's no option to allow ads. Any ideas ?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GKerun_WcAEYqw9?format=jpg&name=medium

becher
6th April 2024, 13:25

Have you installed a add on adblocker?

WRCStan
6th April 2024, 14:16
I'm also getting the same. Even in private browsing which disables add-ons. Even when going through the settings disabling the browser features. You cannot even get to login.

If it only works in Edge than I'll choose to lose out.

Fast Eddie WRC
6th April 2024, 15:20
Have you installed a add on adblocker?

Seems its built-in with Chrome but I've been unable to disable it since yesterday's Chrome update. My phones browser is also now blocking eWRC.

Katvala
6th April 2024, 17:33
I miss being able to see overall stats, but an €8 subscription is too much to look at something every few weeks. I'd gladly pay a one time fee to contribute though.

Sent from my M2012K11G using Tapatalk

becher
6th April 2024, 18:06
Strange, with Android/Chrome it works fine at my end.

saco0o
8th April 2024, 12:25
"bitcoin", anyone? after years i decided to sell 50% of what i have because the price is really high, totally a bubble feeling, to wake up today and see it went 10k up (on my country's currency). its almost like the 3 times i tried to "trade" i get it wrong lol. not into trading, just planning on save it cuz i will be broke when get old, but man, everytime i try, jeezz

Rallyper
14th April 2024, 09:22
Every time I open this forum nowadays I always have to log in... Is it same for you guys?
At times it has been like this before but then suddenly disappeared...

WRCStan
14th April 2024, 11:07
Every time I open this forum nowadays I always have to log in... Is it same for you guys?

I've found I can go to the home page and appear to be logged out, but go into rally or WRC and be logged in, or vice-versa.

satnav
14th April 2024, 17:28

I only go into the Rally section and I've no issues

Eli
16th April 2024, 06:31
A question that’s been on my mind since both Neuville & Tänak are drawing near the end of their careers (Evans I think is a little younger than both), who do you think will be the championship contenders beyond 2027? I know it’s a question that’s more for the long run but I was curious since we won’t have the same faces as we have for the past 6-10 years.

CeskyOndra
16th April 2024, 07:03
A question that’s been on my mind since both Neuville & Tänak are drawing near the end of their careers (Evans I think is a little younger than both), who do you think will be the championship contenders beyond 2027? I know it’s a question that’s more for the long run but I was curious since we won’t have the same faces as we have for the past 6-10 years.

When I imagine that there won't longer be guys like Neuville Tanak and Evans it makes me so sad :(

Morte66
16th April 2024, 07:54

I think Rovanpera will be dominant for some years if he stays in WRC.

Eli
16th April 2024, 08:29
Okay but who will challenge him?

focus206
16th April 2024, 09:43

Both Neuville and Evans were born in 1988, Tanak in 1987, so they're almost all the same age. But they might decide to retire at different times.

Eli
16th April 2024, 10:03
Both Neuville and Evans were born in 1988, Tänak in 1987, so they're almost all the same age. But they might decide to retire at different times.

okay, say they're all retired, who do you see replaces them?

Fast Eddie WRC
16th April 2024, 10:26

All the younger guys in WRC/ WRC2 - Lappi, Katsuta, Fourmaux, Solberg, Suninen, Rossel, etc.

Unless another prodigy comes along...

denkimi
16th April 2024, 12:05
unfortunately so far, nobody. I fear if rovanpera returns after both neuville and tanak have retired, he might beat all of loeb's records.

Fast Eddie WRC
16th April 2024, 12:27
unfortunately so far, nobody. I fear if rovanpera returns after both neuville and tanak have retired, he might beat all of loeb's records.

With his his ability he definitely could, but given he already wanted a break from WRC I doubt he will stay long enough.

He may even be encouraged to try even more Motorsports and allow the WRC to be more competitive without him.

Backa
16th April 2024, 14:54
It's wishful thinking but maybe Kalle just reached his peak level very early and will not improve past that too much while guys like Solberg, Sesks and Pajari will keep improving and catch up to him enough to keep things competitive.

Other than that, it's either Kalle dominating or getting bored with WRC and trying something else.

Fast Eddie WRC
16th April 2024, 15:37

I still have this problem on my phone. I cant find a way to disable Chrome's built-in Adblock. Every other website I access works fine.

Can anyone access the site and if so on which Android browser ?

Eli
16th April 2024, 15:54
I still have this problem on my phone. I cant find a way to disable Chrome's built-in Adblock. Every other website I access works fine.

Give Firefox a try.

Fast Eddie WRC
16th April 2024, 16:59
Give Firefox a try.

Nope, same problem for me.

TypeR
16th April 2024, 18:06
I tried logging in with chrome and didn't get such problem.. I don't know if the adblock is on by default or not, because I don't use that browser.
Maybe some extra € to the domain would fix it :D

I have used Dolphin for almost 10 years and don't want to change it.. haven't had any problems with ewrc or other sites.

But everybody has their own favourite ofc.

satnav
16th April 2024, 18:26
I use Chrome on both PC and Iphone and have no problems with eWRC

WRCStan
16th April 2024, 19:50

Works on Chrome for Android for me. Maybe you have VPN or something blocking it, or need to update the app.

Maybe some extra € to the domain would fix it :D

I had this recently, you can't even get to login if you were paying to avoid the ads.

saco0o
17th April 2024, 22:26
was playing v-rally 3 on my game boy advanced emulator here. such a fun game. some stages have reaaally fun elevation changes and some good scenery by the shore (i guess its the french event). you can even feel some little diferences on rainy stages if you choosed dry tires (you can only fix your car and change tires/configs every two stages). really fun, im impressed.

Morte66
20th April 2024, 15:16
I was thinking today that Gus Greensmith has found his place in WRC2. Perhaps having a Skoda helps (it seems to be the car that the others are measured against), as does having the budget to do every rally for practice, but he looks fast and professional in this company.

"Username"
21st April 2024, 12:14
Anyone knows how to join different leagues in WRC Fantasy? I don't see any search button or am I just dumb?

saco0o
21st April 2024, 17:10
i just watched the wec race at imola. we keep mentioning how they fixed things and how wrc should find a similar fix (in general) and i gotta say i never got into endurance but it was such a fun watch. lots of brands, which is awesome, but the whole 'vibe' of the series is incredible right now. i think when the championship gets to an exciting point, everything suddenly becomes more fun. interesting. hope to see wrc going back to that fun excitement like in 2017 with the new cars

saco0o
30th April 2024, 13:40
have u fellas watched the first race of the new AUTONOMOUS OPEN WHEEL RACING SERIES from abu dhabi, with a 2 million bucks for the winner? man, i regret saying anything positive about this tech.
I AM SORRY for what you are about to watch
https://youtu.be/143MxioL0ns?feature=shared

Jarek Z
30th April 2024, 13:55
have u fellas watched the first race of the new AUTONOMOUS OPEN WHEEL RACING SERIES from abu dhabi, with a 2 million bucks for the winner? man, i regret saying anything positive about this tech.

No, I haven't watched it. And don't apologize, mate! It was a great laugh, thank you! :D

Rallyper
1st May 2024, 07:18

Hahahahahaha.

Eli
1st May 2024, 08:03

Nothing to be sorry about, was one of the funniest things I’ve seen in a while, thanks for sharing!

NaBUru38
7th May 2024, 15:56
The Tennessee Rally USA will be held on June 14-16 in Chattanooga.

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/more-details-of-rally-usas-wrc-candidate-event-emerge/

I still don't understand how a 110 km race can be useful to earn a WRC round.

WRCStan
7th May 2024, 19:10
The Tennessee Rally USA will be held on June 14-16 in Chattanooga.

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/more-details-of-rally-usas-wrc-candidate-event-emerge/

I still don't understand how a 110 km race can be useful to earn a WRC round.

Shows they can organise, it isn't the roads under inspection.

Fast Eddie WRC
8th May 2024, 17:15
Win a ride in a Hyundai i20 Rally1 car !

Draw on Sunday at Rally Portugal. Proceeds to the Craig Breen Foundation...

https://app.galabid.com/cbf24/items/7acbd757-cd19-4b35-9968-90c86a19a824?backPath=%2Fcbf24%2Fitems&from=7acbd757-cd19-4b35-9968-90c86a19a824&fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR3KRnHH3di1kVQxGQhyqQH_4 28iNjs7UM2Xs54xSbqAZR_GOVonsW2LScM_aem_AYZdGPWkdFI qzMrGXMsH5vNV1KqHhMaA5UHETuZeRakmzscd4QCoTVIEZAYmO wKHvcQKGH4Sd2DJx0KRQRzk9auT

BleAivano
11th May 2024, 19:32
I spent the day today in the Nyköping area spectating the third round of the Swedish rally championship. Lovely weather, superb roads.
Anyway they had the double run of stages that most rallies today has,
but with a twist. Instesd of doing the regular repeat of the morning stages in the afternoon two of the three stages in morning were run again in the morning.
During the morning loop we were at Ss6 and once the last car had passed (about 100 cars) there was less then hour until the first car was due for the second loop.
It was the same thing in the afternoon, 3 stages run twice. This meant that we were able to see all cars three times. For the morning loop we only watched the first 40 cars to be able to make it to SS12 in time. For the second loop we didnt stay to watch all cars because delays (stage start was one hour late) and when we left at around 18.30 only the first 25 cars had come through and there was more delays.

I have never seen this kind of looping of stages before..Why doesnt more rallies use this loop stragegy? With some planning I think you might be able to see the best cars 5-6 times.

becher
12th May 2024, 09:00
I spent the day today in the Nyköping area spectating the third round of the Swedish rally championship. Lovely weather, superb roads.
Anyway they had the double run of stages that most rallies today has,
but with a twist. Instesd of doing the regular repeat of the morning stages in the afternoon two of the three stages in morning were run again in the morning.
During the morning loop we were at Ss6 and once the last car had passed (about 100 cars) there was less then hour until the first car was due for the second loop.
It was the same thing in the afternoon, 3 stages run twice. This meant that we were able to see all cars three times. For the morning loop we only watched the first 40 cars to be able to make it to SS12 in time. For the second loop we didnt stay to watch all cars because delays (stage start was one hour late) and when we left at around 18.30 only the first 25 cars had come through and there was more delays.

I have never seen this kind of looping of stages before..Why doesnt more rallies use this loop stragegy? With some planning I think you might be able to see the best cars 5-6 times.

Intresting, in the austrian championship this isn't to uncommon. It's pretty easy access for casual people as they just have a picnic and watch rally cars for an afternoon, no running around endlessly chasing the cars which is probably to much for people who don't really follow the sport.

dimviii
17th May 2024, 16:25
World Rally Championship
@OfficialWRC

Michèle Mouton will retire from her role as
@fia
Safety Delegate at the end of 2024 - Last Sunday she took time to say goodbye to the fans in Portugal ❤️

https://x.com/OfficialWRC/status/1791503073925300448

WRCStan
19th May 2024, 13:55
Which one of you made this lol

https://i.imgflip.com/8qkhnl.jpg

saco0o
20th May 2024, 14:32
the redbull rally channel officialy gave up on wrc, eh? i mean, they have so much great 20min highlights on redbull motorsport (its more about bikes, but its always good!). too bad they dont care that much about wrc. i never understood if wrc promoter IS REDBULL or if its partner companies ("gmbh" whatever, every german-austro-hungarian have that on their brands names) but, eh, sad. their highlights used to be more usefull than wrc's own imo.

Fast Eddie WRC
20th May 2024, 15:48

I finally cracked it after weeks of being driven mad and trying loads of different browsers !!

Blocking Javascript for ewrc-results stopped the adblock message... :)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GOCIXF6XcAAe5f0?format=jpg&name=900x900