PDA

View Full Version : Hyundai i20 WRC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

dimviii
10th September 2012, 18:04
Hyundai i20 shows WRC

It's finally here. Hyundai is the end of September to present at the Auto Show in Paris a World Rally Car, based on the compact model i20. The Koreans are ringing their comeback in the World Championships
Hyundai zeigt i20 WRC*:: rallye-magazin.de (http://www.rallye-magazin.de/rallyes/wm/nachrichten/news-detail/d/2012/09/10/hyundai-zeigt-i20-wrc/index.html)

sete
10th September 2012, 18:21
Hurray!!!
and here is my speculation-J.M.Latvala as the number one in Hyundai next year!

kober
11th September 2012, 02:18
Hyundai i20 shows WRCThe news should rather be: "Hyundai WILL show i20 WRC". They haven't shown anything yet :)
I wholeheartedly hope that the rumour is true, and that they'll perform better than they did with the Accent.

Mirek
11th September 2012, 10:20
The Accent was developed by British company MSD not by Huyndai. Let's see what they can do themselves...

Rallyper
11th September 2012, 13:42
So what´s needed?

- Enough good engineers who can make engines with power.
- Chassibuilders, safetydeveloper for rollcages.
- A couple of top WR-drivers for developing upbuilt car.

I think driving-line and suspension should be like standard items already used by other teams, like Rieder, Ohlins, X-trac, Sadev ... you name it.

Well, if they are heading towards WRC Hyundai should already have thought out all this.

Add som logistics and servicepark staff - and there you are: A new WRC factory team was born.

Interesting where they are at this moment. Some of you guys out there have some more information???

Mirek
11th September 2012, 13:49
It's not that easy. Just the drivetrain... To have same X-Trac gearbox doesn't mean to have same gearing (that a lot depends also on engine characteristics which are changing all the time). Having same X-Trac differentials again doesn't mean to use same ramp angles etc. Different space constrains in different bodyshell means different needs for cooling. It's a lot of details which makes it more than just a lego.

11th September 2012, 14:01
Has Toyota gone cold or are they still looking at 2014? It would be great news if Hyundai enter - I'm sure they would want to be competitive given how far the company has come in the last decade.

A FONDO
11th September 2012, 14:06
Maybe they just want to "speak with deeds", not fake announcements like VW.

KickenRallySport
11th September 2012, 14:09
Witch drivers has been linked to drive for Toyota and Hyundai??? PG Andersson?? Mads Östberg?? Hanninen??

stefanvv
11th September 2012, 14:14
Witch drivers has been linked to drive for Toyota and Hyundai??? PG Andersson?? Mads Östberg?? Hanninen??

Interesting fairy tale heroes. But all with Toyota & Hyundai is fairy tale by now.

Sulland
11th September 2012, 14:15
Looking forward to getting Hyundai back into the Rally world.

How firm are the i20 plans as of today?

EightGear
11th September 2012, 14:15
Colin Clark said on twitter that there are rumours about Hyundai shooting a promotional video last Wednesday at Walters Arena.

DonJippo
11th September 2012, 14:25
Interesting where they are at this moment. Some of you guys out there have some more information???

AFAIK Huyndai has been hiring new staff for some time already.

Barreis
11th September 2012, 14:26
The Accent was developed by British company MSD not by Huyndai. Let's see what they can do themselves...

Also did opel calibra in first part of 90's. Didn't do good that job also. Last time they did corsa s2000. Another fail.

AndyRAC
11th September 2012, 14:34
As long as it is properly financed then good news. Too many in the past have tried to enter on a shoestring budget – and promptly left. If true, I wish them well – the sport needs more good competition.

stefanvv
11th September 2012, 14:38
As long as it is properly financed then good news. Too many in the past have tried to enter on a shoestring budget – and promptly left. If true, I wish them well – the sport needs more good competition.

+1

Rallyper
11th September 2012, 15:15
Also did opel calibra in first part of 90's. Didn't do good that job also. Last time they did corsa s2000. Another fail.

Well Barreis, you´re right about that. But since MSD did all development more or less without money from factories (I reccon), they couldn´t do anything but just fail. Same for PD and Mini as long as BMW won´t put in money...

And now it looks like Huyndai will do their own thing it might as well be more succesful as last time.

Rallyper
11th September 2012, 15:16
MAybe moderator can move some quotes from "news and rumours" to this topic...?

HaCo
11th September 2012, 16:32
This is something for prodrive, drop Mini and continue with proper factory support.

Verstuurd van mijn MT15i met Tapatalk

306 Cosworth
11th September 2012, 17:31
Wonder who will prepare and build the cars this time around?

rallye-vid
11th September 2012, 17:33
Looks like they themself with Michel Nandan..

And they are looking for some location in Offenbach (germany) for a new Hyundai motorsport center.

http://www.rallye-magazin.de/rallyes/wm/nachrichten/news-detail/d/2012/09/11/so-plant-hyundai-die-rueckkehr/index.html

Brother John
11th September 2012, 17:48
All post about the Hyundai i20-wrs are moved to http://www.motorsportforums.com/wrc/154965-hyundai-i20-wrc.html

OldF
11th September 2012, 18:57
So what´s needed?

- Enough good engineers who can make engines with power.
- Chassibuilders, safetydeveloper for rollcages.
- A couple of top WR-drivers for developing upbuilt car.

I think driving-line and suspension should be like standard items already used by other teams, like Rieder, Ohlins, X-trac, Sadev ... you name it.

Well, if they are heading towards WRC Hyundai should already have thought out all this.

Add som logistics and servicepark staff - and there you are: A new WRC factory team was born.

Although the regulations are the same for all, the implementation can vary as Mikko said when comparing the Citroen and Ford. Let’s hope that Hyundai (and also VW) get it right from the very beginning.

“These teams (Citroen and Ford) have a completely different mindset building cars. It applies to such things as the geometry of the car, center of gravity, suspension and diff locks. It was interesting to see how with two such different mindsets the results are close to eachother, said Hirvonen when comparing Ford and Citroen.

Citroen feel much more agile and turns better, but when we going to bigger roads (more straight and faster), the Citroen doesn’t feel quite so stable.”

Google Translate (http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fi&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mtv3.fi%2Furheilu%2Fralli%2Fuut iset.shtml%2F2012%2F01%2F1469009%2Fhirvonen-fordilla-ja-citroenilla-erilainen-ajatusmaailma)

A FONDO
11th September 2012, 19:36
Citroen feel much more agile and turns better, but when we going to bigger roads (more straight and faster), the Citroen doesn’t feel quite so stable.”

Interesting. Some people here (fans of JM & PS) said the Ford is so much nervous car that obligates you drive it risky :rolleyes:

Red bull
11th September 2012, 19:50
they wont be in wrc till 2014.

Red bull
11th September 2012, 20:03
they wont be in wrc till 2014. Hyundai to enter WRC with i20 rally car (http://www.inautonews.com/hyundai-to-enter-wrc-with-i20-rally-car-goes-to-paris-motor-show#.UE-KqbLiYz4)

OldF
11th September 2012, 20:13
Interesting. Some people here (fans of JM & PS) said the Ford is so much nervous car that obligates you drive it risky :rolleyes:

By JML they have problems keeping the car straight. As he said to “Vauhdin Maailma” after NORF;

“I came true the long right bend before the big jump at Ouninpohja with floored throttle but the car was little bit sideaway. I approached the jump throttle flored as also Mikko did. And because of this little sideaway my speed was slower compared to Mikko.”

Second run:
Mikko 170 km/h
Loeb 166 km/h
JML 165 km/h

stefanvv
11th September 2012, 21:52
I'm trying to follow... So, does it mean sliding the car it is more stable approaching the bend? I know little less speed will help also, but still...

OldF
11th September 2012, 22:33
I'm trying to follow... So, does it mean sliding the car it is more stable approaching the bend? I know little less speed will help also, but still...

No. He (JML) means that at the bend before the jump, the cars was sliding a bit althought he didn’t wont it to slide and that decreased the speed before jump (or at the jump).

So maybe the Ford is more nervous in turns compared to Citroen and the Ford is more stable on fast (straight) sections compared to Citroen.

I’m not sure about this but I’ve some recollection that it has been said (somewhere, I don’t remember where) that the Ford is more stable on fast sections, probably from Mikko as he can now compare the performing of the Ford and Citroen. But as I said I don’t remember where I’ve been reading this or do I’ve reading at all (my memory playing a game with me).

stefanvv
11th September 2012, 22:46
No. He (JML) means that at the bend before the jump, the cars was sliding a bit althought he didn’t wont it to slide and that decreased the speed before jump (or at the jump).

So maybe the Ford is more nervous in turns compared to Citroen and the Ford is more stable on fast (straight) sections compared to Citroen.

I’m not sure about this but I’ve some recollection that it has been said (somewhere, I don’t remember where) that the Ford is more stable on fast sections, probably from Mikko as he can now compare the performing of the Ford and Citroen. But as I said I don’t remember where I’ve been reading this or do I’ve reading at all (my memory playing a game with me).

I see, thx. I never read something Hirvonen said about the differences in cars (I think it was even in his contract), but may be he said something... somewhere...

kober
12th September 2012, 00:53
And they are looking for some location in Offenbach (germany) for a new Hyundai motorsport center.So do Hyundai have a motorsport section that would be able to build a WRC currently? Have they built a rally car (any class) in the last five years?

stefanvv
12th September 2012, 00:57
So do Hyundai have a motorsport section that would be able to build a WRC currently? Have they built a rally car (any class) in the last five years?

I don't think so, but that's what money are for. The most important thing would be to hire the right people to do the job.

kober
12th September 2012, 01:03
I don't think so, but that's what money are for. The most important thing would be to hire the right people to do the job.Yeah, but even an unlimited amount of money won't make it happen in no time. One would think that at least 18 (24?) months would be required to build a WRC from a total zero.

Maui J.
12th September 2012, 01:54
they wont be in wrc till 2014.

That makes more sense. I was very suspicious of that report/rumour about a start in 2013, with the Monte only 4 or so months away, and no mention of drivers etc. A 2014 start makes it very believable.
Lets just hope the current incumbents (and BMW finance the MINI properly) stick around and make it a worthy championship again.

andyone
12th September 2012, 06:43
Hurray!!!
and here is my speculation-J.M.Latvala as the number one in Hyundai next year!
lol.. :D u wish.

grugsticles
12th September 2012, 08:56
I don't think so, but that's what money are for. The most important thing would be to hire the right people to do the job.

Theres probably a few people at Prodrive who wouldnt mind giving it a shot.
THey have recent experience with current regulations and actually built a pretty decently performing car.

On the die, I did open my eyes at this line from the above mentioned article:
"Volkswagen is also planning to enter the WRC, along with BMW’s MINI, which is intending to compete as a manufacturer."

Maybe Ive missed something but is BMW totally moving away from Prodrive or some other preparation company and do it all in house as well, ah la: Citroen?

kober
12th September 2012, 16:01
Maybe they are working on it for a long time already (in Asia)? The rumors about Hyundai coming back in the WRC are not new and must come from somewhere... ;) If there's not a single youtube video of such a car during testing, that clearly means that i20 WRC doesn't exist :s pinhead:

Mirek
12th September 2012, 16:06
There is not a single video of Fabia S2000 1.6T either but the car was tested before the development was stopped by higher management ;)

Rally Hokkaido
13th September 2012, 14:55
Has Toyota gone cold or are they still looking at 2014? It would be great news if Hyundai enter - I'm sure they would want to be competitive given how far the company has come in the last decade.

Sorry I haven't updated that thread with news I read in last month's Best Car magazine. I'll do it now!

Kielder
26th September 2012, 14:27
Tomorrow is the HyunDDAY :D . They're holding a press conference explaining the project in Paris Motor Show at 6 PM.

dimviii
26th September 2012, 14:53
Hyundai i20 WRC se lanseaza maine! Poti vedea transmisiunea live pe net! | Rally Magazin (http://www.rallymagazin.ro/hyundai-i20-wrc-se-lanseaza-maine-poti-vedea-transmisiunea-live-pe-net-60523.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

rallye-vid
26th September 2012, 15:57
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=471690972865426

http://i47.tinypic.com/17vbj7.jpg

MartijnS
26th September 2012, 17:37
Photo, just made in Paris!

https://twitter.com/TonRoks/status/250996876860596224/photo/1/large

Arwel Davies
26th September 2012, 17:43
Photo, just made in Paris!

https://twitter.com/TonRoks/status/250996876860596224/photo/1/large

Looks pretty good in all fairness. Lets hope they see it through.

makinen_fan
26th September 2012, 17:48
oh was it today the presentation of Hyundai's new car? I thought that was arranged for tomorrow with live internet feed according to this
Hyundai i20 WRC se lanseaza maine! Poti vedea transmisiunea live pe net! | Rally Magazin (http://www.rallymagazin.ro/hyundai-i20-wrc-se-lanseaza-maine-poti-vedea-transmisiunea-live-pe-net-60523.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

Looks good, hope we see it in action soon and this time they are more serious about their effort

Mirek
26th September 2012, 17:50
A little rallying Christmas today :)

Rallyper
26th September 2012, 18:00
This news is really good for the WRC!!!

navtheace
26th September 2012, 18:10
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/603312_10151224053880733_2111811017_n.jpg

Francis44
26th September 2012, 18:59
http://www.ralisonline.net/pt/images/stories/2012/SET2012/hyundaii20wrc.jpg

Mirek
26th September 2012, 19:08
An "official" photo: www.AutoSport.CZ (http://forum.autosport.cz/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=67&start=810#p64014)

Allyc85
26th September 2012, 19:20
Great to see it confirmed :D :D

The car looks really small, must be close to the minimum size?

Mirek
26th September 2012, 19:24
It is cca 30 mm longer than Fiesta (stock car), 5 mm below "old" WRC limit for two-liter cars.

Cacatua
26th September 2012, 20:02
Hey that's awesome, are there any news about when they are entering WRC? 2014? Further?

MikeD
26th September 2012, 20:05
So, do we know who's gonna run the team? Back in 2002 and 2003 it was MSD and a 5th place was Hyundai's best result - but of course the competition was tougher and the point-system harder. Would be nice to see them competitive even though I doubt it a bit....

Mirek
26th September 2012, 20:42
It seems to be in-house project this time.

cali
26th September 2012, 21:01
Looks very nice, hopefully it goes fast too. Good day for rallying as we need more manufacturers in the sport. Btw did I mention this car looks fabulous? :p

rallye-vid
26th September 2012, 21:07
i30 looks better.. Too bad its too big ;)

Prisoner Monkeys
27th September 2012, 03:48
I like it - more than I thought I would; I've seen i20s around town and haven't been impressed - but does anyone know what Hyundai intend to start rallying it?

Hazza555)
27th September 2012, 05:40
Hate to nag, but... Could they pick a colour scheme other than blue?

andyone
27th September 2012, 07:30
i think they might be entering next season.. they have been developing the car somewhere in Germany.. for the last year or so.. i hope they come in 2013.. whatd drivers are available?

EightGear
27th September 2012, 08:18
Paddon, Novikov, Hanninen would be good I think.

Kielder
27th September 2012, 08:59
http://www.ralsys.com/irally_admin/pod_vid_images/Hyundaionstage.jpg

Miika
27th September 2012, 09:01
Looks like VW from the front and Suzuki from the rear, results somewhere in between?

skarderud
27th September 2012, 09:18
Østberg, both solbergs, the swedes, couple of more finns, some belgian guy, meeke, wilks, quite long list :)

Mirek
27th September 2012, 09:29

Hänninen stays with Škoda according to rumors I heard.

Mirek
27th September 2012, 09:31
i think they might be entering next season.. they have been developing the car somewhere in Germany.. for the last year or so.. i hope they come in 2013.. whatd drivers are available?

From what I heard the development so far was made in Asia. The team facility will be placed in Germany but I think it still not there. Anyway I think 2014 is more realistic.

GigiGalliNo1
27th September 2012, 09:37
Video of launch. Anyone know the website on the back window?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7h-ltgiMwtM

Barreis
27th September 2012, 09:44
Hyundai reveals new i20 World Rally Car - WRC news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102871)

rage82
27th September 2012, 09:47
From what I heard the development so far was made in Asia. The team facility will be placed in Germany but I think it still not there. Anyway I think 2014 is more realistic.
What I have read is maybe some rallys in 2013 and full program for 2014. The car is advertised as " rally -ready". But let's wait for the official press conference later today.

pino
27th September 2012, 09:55
I hope they will sign Gigi as their 1st driver :D

rage82
27th September 2012, 09:59

This is the official stream for Paris motorshow:Live tv - Mondial de l'Automobile 2012 (http://www.mondial-automobile.com/en/visitors/live_tv/)
Hope we can watch the press conference there
PS. You can watch now live the Citroen press conference

stefanvv
27th September 2012, 11:08
Looks like VW from the front and Suzuki from the rear, results somewhere in between?

Koreans are keen to do some similarities...

Rallyper
27th September 2012, 11:11
This must have been a well kept secret after all? OK, some rumours, but no one saw the car during testing (except for those involved).

RS
27th September 2012, 11:17
Hänninen stays with Škoda according to rumors I heard.

Hopefully with selected WRC appearances in a 3rd/4th VW Polo (Monte and Finland especially I think VW would be wise to give him a go)

Mirek
27th September 2012, 11:51
Koreans are keen to do some similarities...

Sorry but chief designer of Huyndai is Chris Chapman (BMW 1, X3, X5, Z4) and chief designer of Kia is Peter Schreyer (Audi TT, A3, A4, A6, VW New Beattle). Most of Hyundai/Kia design is done in German and US design centers.

pettersolberg29
27th September 2012, 12:57
Østberg, both solbergs, the swedes, couple of more finns, some belgian guy, meeke, wilks, quite long list :)

I'd say Meeke is a good shout if Citroen don't come calling, or maybe even Henning Solberg as a second driver as he has great technical knowledge and can occasionally show real pace. I think Ostberg is valued by Ford long term so would be more suprised to see him at Hyundai.

dimviii
27th September 2012, 14:20

isn t a cheap first presentation, for a manufacture with the size of Hyundai?

makinen_fan
27th September 2012, 14:22

agree, gives the impression of a private effort than full on engagement with the championship...

kober
27th September 2012, 14:42
obviously, their funding is not on VW's or Citroen's level

Barreis
27th September 2012, 14:48
Don't care, it's good wrc has another manufacturer.

Mirek
27th September 2012, 14:48
They did 7,2 billion Dollars profit last year. Don't underestimate them...

whosyo
27th September 2012, 14:51
I'm highly doubt about that car's performance
It's a thoroughly new challenge for them, so they need some proper advice from experienced driver
but there's nothing about the rumor of driver's line-up

aykutbilir
27th September 2012, 14:52

dimvii this is a special presentation for some people. Because its recorded yesterday before the opening of PMS. Today is press day. Original presentation is today at 17.00 CET. that will be huge i think.

dimviii
27th September 2012, 15:26
dimvii this is a special presentation for some people. Because its recorded yesterday before the opening of PMS. Today is press day. Original presentation is today at 17.00 CET. that will be huge i think.

didn t know that,so we have to wait to see the today press day.By the way the i20 they showed was a normal car with aero and rims.Underside was a normal car,and even the brakes were on gravel spec diameter with asphalt wheels.
hope to announce their programm,who designed the car etc.

rallyfiend
27th September 2012, 16:16
didn t know that,so we have to wait to see the today press day.By the way the i20 they showed was a normal car with aero and rims.Underside was a normal car,and even the brakes were on gravel spec diameter with asphalt wheels.
hope to announce their programm,who designed the car etc.

Michel Nandan formerly of Toyota, Peugeot and Suzuki is the designer / chief techo.

traxx
27th September 2012, 16:37
Nothing interesting during the press conference :( Just a very short video with a car on gravel... Nothing about the car, the staff, the drivers, the events, ...

Barreis
27th September 2012, 16:41
How sad?! WRC has new manufacturer. :P

traxx
27th September 2012, 16:46
How sad?! WRC has new manufacturer. :P

You're right !!

dimviii
27th September 2012, 17:07
Nothing interesting during the press conference :( Just a very short video with a car on gravel... Nothing about the car, the staff, the drivers, the events, ...
so what did they said?

Kielder
27th September 2012, 17:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XayeWgj8QTA

stefanvv
27th September 2012, 17:36
Interesting sound, not like current wrc cars...

Gard
27th September 2012, 17:59
I´m waiting for ALL the experts to conclude how it will perform. Based on this video...

Rallyper
27th September 2012, 17:59
Seems like a lot left to do.... presenting a kind of replica only.... :(

rp
27th September 2012, 18:21
Hyundai´s World Rally Car era so far:
http://rallyparadise.wordpress.com/2012/09/27/hyundai-to-rejoin-the-wrc-with-the-i20-wrc/

OldF
27th September 2012, 18:52
Looks like the Hyundai WRC development will take place both in Korea and Europe. How much development has been done in Korea so far?

“It will be a completely in-house Hyundai team...we will be based in the Frankfurt area in Germany...yet to finalise those arrangements...a lot of the development will take place in Korea in Namyang at our R&D centre, but then making the car competitive enough to compete in WRC will then be handled primarily by our European staff team in and around the Frankfurt area."

iRally | The free independent Rally App for the iPhone, iPad and Android (http://irallylive.com/ir_news.htm?00001995)

Full interview (pod cast)
iRally | The free independent Rally App for the iPhone, iPad and Android (http://irallylive.com/ir_pod.htm?00000309)

darkstar
27th September 2012, 19:49
better they spent the money on developing the car first, then in big pr ;)

the wheels in the video look pretty small, don´t they?

anyway, tha car looks great and i´m happy we have another proper manufacturer. 2013 is going to be great and 2014 even better!

Humber
27th September 2012, 21:33
I guess Hyundai use there own in house test drivers that they use for the road cars.
Where has Henning been this year ? It is like he has fallen into a black hole.
Kenneth Eriksson used to do a bit of testing.
Is Meeke able to test for other manufacturers other than Mini ?

RJM
27th September 2012, 21:45
I guess Hyundai use there own in house test drivers that they use for the road cars.
Where has Henning been this year ? It is like he has fallen into a black hole.
Kenneth Eriksson used to do a bit of testing.
Is Meeke able to test for other manufacturers other than Mini ?

Yeah, I dont think meeke has a contract with mini anymore.

Allyc85
27th September 2012, 21:46
Henning Solberg? Are you guys serious? Move on, he was never that great in the WRC at his peak!

I would have someone like Ostberg with an up and coming SWRC charger in the second seat.

Humber
27th September 2012, 21:59
Henning as a test driver. Who has M-Sport used as a test driver in recent years ?

Andre Oliveira
28th September 2012, 01:02
Matthew Wilson

Humber
28th September 2012, 03:04
Breen has allegedly tested the peugeot 208 for 5000 kms.
Atko could be a possible wheelman for the Hyundai.

Miika
28th September 2012, 06:10
If there aren´t any "big" guns available (Sordo and maybe Östberg) then it is time for a fresh start and give the seats to guys that haven´t had their chance in the big league yet. Filling the lineup with the likes of Henning makes it look as convincing as MINI Motorsport Italia/Viva Tourism Agency of Brazil and such.

skarderud
28th September 2012, 08:14
Henning and aroujo is probably at same level, but to draw comperations to nobre to these others is just rude..... :) I'm quite sure neighter Henning or aroujo has shown theire real potensial, but Henning is getting to old, but maybe a good choice as a testdriver? The best skilled mechanic in the wrc by far.

Miika
28th September 2012, 08:34
No-one can match Nobre, not even Henning. Maybe testing-wise he could be some use but IMO the actual competing lineup (#1 and #2) needs to be something "fresher" than guys who peaked some 5-10 years ago, in mid-level. I hope that at least the 2nd car goes to someone who hasn´t yet had his chance in the big league (Hänninen, Paddon and so on).

Rallyper
28th September 2012, 08:49
If there aren´t any "big" guns available (Sordo and maybe Östberg) then it is time for a fresh start and give the seats to guys that haven´t had their chance in the big league yet. Filling the lineup with the likes of Henning makes it look as convincing as MINI Motorsport Italia/Viva Tourism Agency of Brazil and such.

Why should Huyndai start to be the MRNice guy to the sport bringing upnewcomers for drives?
No, if they are serious they will hire at least one documentedly good driver for testing and then for sure a top driver as #1. Then in second seat maybe one of the youngguns who has been in IRC or done a couple of seasons in WRC.

No charity is expected.

Leon
28th September 2012, 10:14
Let us first see how serious there effort is....

mikkov
28th September 2012, 10:34
Why should Huyndai start to be the MRNice guy to the sport bringing upnewcomers for drives?
No, if they are serious they will hire at least one documentedly good driver for testing and then for sure a top driver as #1. Then in second seat maybe one of the youngguns who has been in IRC or done a couple of seasons in WRC.

No charity is expected.

Hiring new talents isn't charity. It's investment. After Loeb leaves WRC, has 3-4 top guns and it wouldn't be surprising if they aren't so interested in Hyundai. Sure Hyundai needs some experience as well. When Peogeot hired Grönholm he was still basically unproven talent. Hänninen was basically unknown when he joined Skoda. Where the heck Citroen found Ogier? It's very much possible that Hyundai or any other new team won't get a top gun unless they "make" him themselves.

Viking
28th September 2012, 11:12
Hänninen was basically unknown when he joined Skoda.

I beg to differ

Mirek
28th September 2012, 11:17
Where the heck Citroen found Ogier?

That's very good question. The French have very well working talent searching system through popular one-make cups held with small cars. Ogier came from this kind of competition among dozens of young drivers (I think Loeb too). If You follow that at least a bit You can expect who could be next. I would bet we will hear about names like Gilbert, Bonnefis, Lefevbre in the future.

mikkov
28th September 2012, 13:34
I beg to differ

Sure. I'm a Finn and I had basically forgotten him until he started winning IRC rallies. I probably hadn't even heard about IRC until then. For me he was best known for wearing underwear the wrong way. Winning something in PWRC is nothing my opinion. As said these are my opinions only.

Hartusvuori
28th September 2012, 13:41
For me he was best known for wearing underwear the wrong way.

Not that I'm generally interested in how guys wore their pants, but that was Urmo Aava. Hänninen had wrong pants on. :)

Viking
28th September 2012, 14:22
Sure. I'm a Finn and I had basically forgotten him until he started winning IRC rallies. I probably hadn't even heard about IRC until then. For me he was best known for wearing underwear the wrong way. Winning something in PWRC is nothing my opinion. As said these are my opinions only.

Well this was about beeing "basically unknown when he joined Skoda", Hänninen was not to bad with the WRC 05 (but the car was). Often fastest when he turned up with an gr.N car, and his first IRC win where in an Peugeot... And yes, some DSQ's

But we are a bit off topic maybe... :)

Plan9
29th September 2012, 02:39
Don't forget Hyundai will probably want to have a VW Year of testing so whoever they hire will be prepared not to be in competition at all for that period of time. That may narrow the list somewhat.

Arganil
29th September 2012, 03:25
Best wishes to Hyundai on this WRC comeback! Hope Nandan will have better conditions than last WRC tryout with Suzuki.

darkstar
29th September 2012, 07:38
yes hopefully! the sx4 was really crap. but when you take a look back, suzuki had lindholm as a testdriver. shurely a great driver in national championchip but to get on top in wrc you need someone else. for asphalt testing they could get duval as a test driver(noone was faster then him on asphalt, you can tell what you want!), damn i still would love to have him a comeback :) a great testdriver also could be grönholm.

for the driver lineup my first choice would be sordo. he is shurely also a very good testdriver. and i still think that andersson and atkinson are very good drivers, they could have a chance in my opinion. also hänninen is very good, even on apshalt, but still sticks with skoda. so is mikkelsen, he could be a very good choice. also linked to vw and skoda yet, but who knows. he is still very, very young (only 23 years old, sounds weired to me, because he´s around for so long already, i took notice of him in 2007 first time). östberg also started to convince me this season i must say. and i still think that tänak has a bright future and so is neuville(but he shurely will stick to citroen/psa).

but there are so much other names around at the moment who do a good job. breen, arzeno, abbring, paddon...

dupanton
29th September 2012, 08:45
Don't hope for a comeback of Duval... It will not happen!

darkstar
29th September 2012, 08:48
yeah, i know. but he had a great aggressive driving style. i still have nice memorys from rallye germany 2007 with the xsara. that was awesome.

skarderud
29th September 2012, 09:28
Duval was fast indeed, but both crashprone and (what iv'e heard) not to easy personality, so i don't think he will be back.
mikkelsen is young, fast and serious, he started driving wrc 16yrs old. He said this week he aiming to be the most fit driver in wrc, after he run Oslo maraton last saturday. I don't think many other wrc-drivers will do that :)

Mirek
29th September 2012, 10:30
yes hopefully! the sx4 was really crap. but when you take a look back, suzuki had lindholm as a testdriver. shurely a great driver in national championchip but to get on top in wrc you need someone else

Suzuki had no money so I wouldn't blame Lindholm for not having skills. He was working on development of other cars as well - for example he and Baumschlager are the not-known names of the initial Fabia S2000 development.

mm1
29th September 2012, 11:22
Lindholm was also involved with Peugeot WRC cars

T.Maanteiden kuningas
29th September 2012, 11:35
Pykälistö was Citroen C4 gravel testdriver.

tfp
29th September 2012, 12:23
yeah, i know. but he had a great aggressive driving style. i still have nice memorys from rallye germany 2007 with the xsara. that was awesome.

I miss Duval aswel. Like Skarderud says maybe he wasnt the easiest to be around, but hes still better than the PR robots we have today!

vkangas
29th September 2012, 17:15
yes hopefully! the sx4 was really crap. but when you take a look back, suzuki had lindholm as a testdriver. shurely a great driver in national championchip but to get on top in wrc you need someone else. for asphalt testing they could get duval as a test driver(noone was faster then him on asphalt, you can tell what you want!), damn i still would love to have him a comeback :) a great testdriver also could be grönholm.

for the driver lineup my first choice would be sordo. he is shurely also a very good testdriver. and i still think that andersson and atkinson are very good drivers, they could have a chance in my opinion. also hänninen is very good, even on apshalt, but still sticks with skoda. so is mikkelsen, he could be a very good choice. also linked to vw and skoda yet, but who knows. he is still very, very young (only 23 years old, sounds weired to me, because he´s around for so long already, i took notice of him in 2007 first time). östberg also started to convince me this season i must say. and i still think that tänak has a bright future and so is neuville(but he shurely will stick to citroen/psa).

but there are so much other names around at the moment who do a good job. breen, arzeno, abbring, paddon...

Don't underestimate Lindholm as a development driver or overestimate fast competition drivers as developers. The fastest driver can suck in development. To really develop a fast rally car from the scratch the most important people are managers and engineers, not the drivers. Engineers need feedback from the drivers. The skills that are ideal for development drivers are usually the ability to drive constantly with same style (and to alter that style if told so). Good development driver has an ability to "not adapt" to a car if he does not want to give engineers more clear view on actual changes. Especially in the early phase of development program max speed means very little.

Sulland
29th September 2012, 17:49
Henning Solberg? Are you guys serious? Move on, he was never that great in the WRC at his peak!

I would have someone like Ostberg with an up and coming SWRC charger in the second seat.

Many feel that Henning never got the break he paid for in WRC. To many times the car stopped due to a part that broke, or settings that never was put correctly on the car from M-Sport.
Anyway, there are two types of good testdrivers, equally fast but;
1: know nothing about the tech aspects of a car but feels the changes and are able to communicate those to the engineers.
2. very technical and speaks the tech language, and comes with ideas for further development.

Not many around in any of these categories, but the engineers need to decide on what type they work best with.

Plan9
30th September 2012, 00:59
Kris Meeke can do both of those things you mention above. He did heaps of work on the Citroen C4, DS3 and Peugeot 207 s2000 cars. We all know how good those cars turned out. Also he did some work on the last Subaru's Prodrive developed.

pettersolberg29
30th September 2012, 01:08
Maybe best not to mention the Subaru one - blots an otherwise good record ;)

darkos
30th September 2012, 08:17
Great to see new car in WRC, they need some decent driver though. Car without a driver wont drive it self.

andyone
30th September 2012, 08:46
Great to see new car in WRC, they need some decent driver though. Car without a driver wont drive it self.

Plenty out there..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Plan9
1st October 2012, 01:16
I hope people accept Hyundai as a rally brand, as Skoda eventually was, even if it does not do well initially.

pettersolberg29
1st October 2012, 03:05
I hope people accept Hyundai as a rally brand, as Skoda eventually was, even if it does not do well initially.

Agreed. I had a real soft spot for the Accent and already have a soft spot for the new i20. Think they'll have one good season and then tail off a bit personally, but I can imagine the team will gain a cult following much like the Peugeot 307 even if it's not successful. A thing that would really help their popularity would be if Meeke or another Brit got into it and started competing at the top. Even without bias I feel that the sport is lacking a plucky Brit like Burns so hope Meeke gets a chance with Hyundai.

Plan9
1st October 2012, 22:48
Agreed. I had a real soft spot for the Accent and already have a soft spot for the new i20. Think they'll have one good season and then tail off a bit personally, but I can imagine the team will gain a cult following much like the Peugeot 307 even if it's not successful. A thing that would really help their popularity would be if Meeke or another Brit got into it and started competing at the top. Even without bias I feel that the sport is lacking a plucky Brit like Burns so hope Meeke gets a chance with Hyundai.

Me thoughts exactly. I saw a teaser vidoe for the i20 on i-Rally and it look okay. It does not sound as iconic and the Mini (twin exhaust pipes) but its a tidy and well presented car. I think the i20 will be quite popular with gentleman drivers as it will probably be the cheapest wrc car. I loved the Accent to; the first Rally NZ I went to Loix let me sit in his car between stages as he could see I was very excited to be close to a WRC car for the first time.

Plan9
2nd October 2012, 07:24
Carry on the company a company tradition alive of cheap cars into motorsport? But of course, no WRC car is ever going to be "cheap" in a conventional sense. Don't all WRC entrant have to produce cars for customers to use?

alleskids
2nd October 2012, 11:25

Subaru was a cheap brand only for farmers and Japanees. WRC made them hot and popular.
Skoda also was not a highly rated brand, just garbage from east Europe. being a VW brand and rally made Skoda a big and fancy car maker.

Mirek
2nd October 2012, 11:42
I would say being part of VW made Škoda what it is now. Škoda used be involved in rallying through it's all history.

Josti
2nd October 2012, 16:11
Yes, the 130 RS from the seventies was a fine looking rally machine actually, and reliable too.

Mirek
2nd October 2012, 16:32
It actually started long time before ;)

For example this car did Rallye Monte Carlo in 1936 (72 pieces built in 1935-38) :)
http://www.eurooldtimers.com/temp/stroj_big_zoom_4920.jpg

pettersolberg29
2nd October 2012, 16:52
There's a lot of lovely mentions of these classic Skoda's in Graham Robson's 'Monte Carlo Rally: The Golden Age'. A great read to go off topic slightly for a second too!

OldF
2nd October 2012, 19:47
To continue with off topic. A “few” years ahead.

Esko Keinänen Monte Carlo 1961, 6th place. This was beaten by Armin Schwarz 2001 when he was 4th. The best results for Skoda is 2nd in 2010 and 2011.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii284/OkdF/SkodaEskoKeinnen1961.jpg

Another pic (I don’t know the year)

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii284/OkdF/SkodaEskoKeinnen.jpg

Rally Hokkaido
20th October 2012, 04:23
OK, this is not a WRC car and not even an i20, but this Veloster commisioned by Hyundai Australia is further indication that the parent company is on the way back in to international motor sports.
Hyundai Veloster Turbo Race Concept | Australian International Motor Show - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ao1yhJjcN0&list=PLE2D0231278B26382&index=4&feature=plpp_video)

Maui J.
20th October 2012, 08:49
OK, this is not a WRC car and not even an i20, but this Veloster commisioned by Hyundai Australia is further indication that the parent company is on the way back in to international motor sports.
Hyundai Veloster Turbo Race Concept | Australian International Motor Show - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ao1yhJjcN0&list=PLE2D0231278B26382&index=4&feature=plpp_video)

Here's a bit more info on it.
RallySport Magazine - Hyundai Veloster for Aussie tarmac rallying? (http://www.rallysportmag.com.au/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7251&Itemid=2)

ProRally
21st October 2012, 18:05

Yoda san in action.... ;-)

EightGear
14th November 2012, 15:37
Hyundai holt sich Anregungen*:: rallye-magazin.de (http://www.rallye-magazin.de/rallyes/wm/nachrichten/news-detail/d/2012/11/14/hyundai-holt-sich-anregungen/index.html)

Kielder
14th November 2012, 16:36
Hyundai holt sich Anregungen*:: rallye-magazin.de (http://www.rallye-magazin.de/rallyes/wm/nachrichten/news-detail/d/2012/11/14/hyundai-holt-sich-anregungen/index.html)

Wilson is always thinking about the same...

navtheace
14th November 2012, 17:37
Guess Hyundai have not got the bodywork guys working on the car yet, look at the missing wheel arch section , lol

The day when rallying goes back to road car only bodywork, the better it will be for all :)

http://www.rallye-magazin.de/uploads/pics/Hyundai-Ingenieure-WRC-Visite-02.jpg

dimviii
14th November 2012, 17:38
its a fiesta..

Mirek
14th November 2012, 17:46
Guess Hyundai have not got the bodywork guys working on the car yet, look at the missing wheel arch section , lol

The day when rallying goes back to road car only bodywork, the better it will be for all :)

lol, are You serious? The car on the picture is Fiesta of Oliveira from Rally Spain and those "missing" wheel archs are cuts for better brake cooling (I presume) which are used on all modern rally cars starting with Focus 03...

HarriK
14th November 2012, 18:51
lol, are You serious? The car on the picture is Fiesta of Oliveira from Rally Spain and those "missing" wheel archs are cuts for better brake cooling (I presume) which are used on all modern rally cars starting with Focus 03...
Just a little offtopic: But still the rubber mud guard need to be in line with the arch and from top of the arc, because of regulations.
I attached some these mudguards to some of NORF run S2000 Fiestas...

HaCo
14th November 2012, 18:55
So, mudguards are mandatory? So why are these cut-outs in the bodywork? Don't quite understand how this could improve brake cooling?
Interesting subject :)

dimviii
14th November 2012, 19:04
So, mudguards are mandatory? So why are these cut-outs in the bodywork? Don't quite understand how this could improve brake cooling?
Interesting subject :)

think more about aerodynamics,and stones from spinning to avoid harm fenders or back bumper?Also at muddy rallies less mud at front fender-back bumper?

Mirek
14th November 2012, 19:11
Mudguards are mandatory only on gravel.

br21
14th November 2012, 22:12
heard the rumour that Kris Nissen became head of Hyundai WRC project, can anybody confirm?

27th November 2012, 16:50
Any news on this guys? Nothing on drivers, testing, etc is known... I sincerely hope they come up with a good competitive project.

Donney
27th November 2012, 17:24
Right now I just hope they come up with a project... :dozey:

Motorsportfun
29th November 2012, 01:56
MY SILLY GUESS: At the end of 2013 they'll agree with M-Sport and the new i20 will be based on the Fiesta project. Team HQ will be moved to Cockermouth, of course, while the Ford stuff will be moved to Poland.

Save this message and we'll see what happens... :D

OldF
29th November 2012, 14:05
M-Sport has already their central European base in Poland where they prepare the Academy / JWRC R2 cars.

FIA WRC Academy (http://www.m-sport.co.uk/index.php/motorsport/wrc-academy)

PLuto
29th November 2012, 14:15
I dont think that Hyundai would like to give their project to the hands of brittish team, especially after experience with MSD...

Motorsportfun
30th November 2012, 00:57
M-Sport has already their central European base in Poland where they prepare the Academy / JWRC R2 cars.

FIA WRC Academy (http://www.m-sport.co.uk/index.php/motorsport/wrc-academy)

Of course, I know they're based already in Poland, in Krakow.

I dont think that Hyundai would like to give their project to the hands of brittish team, especially after experience with MSD...

We'll see, it's just a feeling...

A.F.F.
30th November 2012, 07:34
My silly guess is that Hyundai project will never happen.

Plan9
30th November 2012, 08:43
my silly guess is Paddon will drive for them and we will find out later that Meeke was the test driver who never got to compete in the i20.

Humber
30th November 2012, 09:50
Paddon is a possible driver for Hyundai.

Hanninen and Meeke would be a preferable combination from a marketing perspective. Meeke - British/ Irish and Hanninen - Finland-Northern European.

Mintexmemory
30th November 2012, 09:58
Paddon is a possible driver for Hyundai.

Hanninen and Meeke would be a preferable combination from a marketing perspective. Meeke - British/ Irish and Hanninen - Finland-Northern European.

From a marketing perspective Paddon with either Meeke or Hanninen would be preferable for maximum trans-continental exposure. Remember Hyundai are selling in Europe but also have a major market in the Pacific / SE Asia. So an Antipodean would be a sensible fit for Oz / NZ publicity even doing the odd Asia / Pacific round!

Donney
30th November 2012, 10:53
I'm with Mr. A.F.F. here I have the feeling it won't happen.

OldF
2nd December 2012, 16:47
Of course, I know they're based already in Poland, in Krakow.

My comment was not directed to you because I was sure you knew that already. If I had that intention I’ve quoted your post :) . It was intended for information purposes only, if someone has missed the news.

Beeing on this forum for over five years I think I have some kind of a view who is who on this forum :) .

MikeD
2nd December 2012, 22:11
My silly guess is that Hyundai project will never happen.

South Korea is really a booming economy and the whole Hyundai group is a really healthy company in terms of earnings. I am pretty sure the project will happen, but I guess they would prefer to have at least one WRC round in Asia for marketing reasons.

I know that Ford and Citroën wanted most on the WRC events in Europe and Latin America, but now that Ford has left and Citroën will leave for the WTCC, then the WRC rounds would likely be decided on the wishes of VW and Hyundai as they will be the only full time factory teams.

Prisoner Monkeys
3rd December 2012, 01:53
Citroen have only said that they will consider entering the WTCC. And even if they, I have seen nothing to indicate that their WRC programme will end.

MikeD
3rd December 2012, 13:29
Citroen have only said that they will consider entering the WTCC. And even if they, I have seen nothing to indicate that their WRC programme will end.

I know from private sources in the WTCC that Citroën is confirmed for 2014 - and there is no way they will continue in both WRC and WTCC at the same same. The PSA Group is in big financial troubles and they cannot justify running in both series, especially while they are figthing with the French government over laying off thousands of people at their factory in France. So you can fully count on no factory WRC team in the WRC in 2014.

So Citroën's strategy will be to persuade the Loeb brand as agreed, so they will do WTCC in 2014. Furthermore it's almost certain that Renault will enter WTCC in 2014, which would be a good fight between the two French companies. Three time WTCC champion Yvan Muller is expected to be announced as Renault's leading driver in the WTCC for 2014.

Regarding Citroën and WRC, then they might continue through PH-Sport, but not as a factory team backed with factory money - only sponsorship-deals. In a way the same deal as Peugeot did with Bozian Racing in 2006 running as an M2/MT team.

Regarding WRC, it's far more interesting to see what PSA will do with the Peogeot brand. It was quite a surprise that they left the new FIA WEC series before it even began .... that could indicate that PSA might only support the Citroën brand in the comming years.

ToughMac
3rd December 2012, 14:03
Thought the speculation was that PSA would promote the Peugeot brand in the WRC in 2014 much like they have done in the early noughties. Can't see PSA relinquishing that wealth of experience in rallying especially when it took so long to build up and obviously proved to be very very successful.

Barreis
3rd December 2012, 14:25
Maybe only two manufacturers next season. :(

MJW
3rd December 2012, 14:51
Thought the speculation was that PSA would promote the Peugeot brand in the WRC in 2014 much like they have done in the early noughties. Can't see PSA relinquishing that wealth of experience in rallying especially when it took so long to build up and obviously proved to be very very successful.

Peugoet will be in WRC with an R2 car and and R5, Now IF R5 suddenly became the top class replacing WRC then PSA group would have a suitable car.

A FONDO
3rd December 2012, 15:46
I know from private sources in the WTCC that Citroën is confirmed for 2014 - and there is no way they will continue in both WRC and WTCC at the same same. The PSA Group is in big financial troubles and they cannot justify running in both series, especially while they are figthing with the French government over laying off thousands of people at their factory in France. So you can fully count on no factory WRC team in the WRC in 2014.

So Citroën's strategy will be to persuade the Loeb brand as agreed, so they will do WTCC in 2014. Furthermore it's almost certain that Renault will enter WTCC in 2014, which would be a good fight between the two French companies. Three time WTCC champion Yvan Muller is expected to be announced as Renault's leading driver in the WTCC for 2014.

Regarding Citroën and WRC, then they might continue through PH-Sport, but not as a factory team backed with factory money - only sponsorship-deals. In a way the same deal as Peugeot did with Bozian Racing in 2006 running as an M2/MT team.

Regarding WRC, it's far more interesting to see what PSA will do with the Peogeot brand. It was quite a surprise that they left the new FIA WEC series before it even began .... that could indicate that PSA might only support the Citroën brand in the comming years.

Is it sure about Reno? Because they already have a one-make Megane circuit cup and several Formula series, all of them with decent Eurosport coverage. And if they enter WTCC with a factory team, Citroen may seriously reconsider doing the same.

Mirek
3rd December 2012, 15:55
Peugoet will be in WRC with an R2 car and and R5, Now IF R5 suddenly became the top class replacing WRC then PSA group would have a suitable car.

For manufacturer it's easy to convert existing DS3 WRC into 208 bodyshell even without R5.

MJW
3rd December 2012, 16:03
For manufacturer it's easy to convert existing DS3 WRC into 208 bodyshell even without R5.
Yes, very true PSA motorsport operates out one factory with a common Email address for employees regardless of whether they wear Peugeot Navy or Citroen Red clothing. It will, I guess be up to the marketing men, for sure the engineering is there now to run the DS3 in 208 bodywork.

MikeD
3rd December 2012, 18:27
Is it sure about Reno? Because they already have a one-make Megane circuit cup and several Formula series, all of them with decent Eurosport coverage. And if they enter WTCC with a factory team, Citroen may seriously reconsider doing the same.

It's 90% sure regaring Renault in the WTCC in 2014. The original plan was that Renault would take their sister-brand Nissan to the WTCC to fight in one of the three proper FIA world championships. It's not just about the Eurosport coverage - it's about the global branding and winning FIA titles. Renault has been migthy succesful winning titles in F1 as both an engine supplier and as a works team, but the engine doesn't really get the proper coverage in the manufacturers champioship right now, plus Red Bull, Lotus and Williams are paying for the engines, whereas e.g. McLaren get their Mercedes engines for free until the end of 2013.

As it is now, then RML Motorsport (Ray Mallock Motorsport) will run the Renault WTCC team from 2014 with Yvan Muller as their lead driver. RML Motorsport has been running the Chevrolet WTCC team from 2005-2012 as an official works-team, but will in 2013 run as a private team, but will continue with the Chevrolet Cruze 1.6T.

MikeD
3rd December 2012, 18:33

The problem for the PSA group is the French left-wing crap government and all the unions, who are fighting the PSA Group at the moment because they are laying of a lot of people. It can cause a lot of problems for PSA if they can find money for motorsport and at the same time say they haven't got money to keep their work-force in France. That's left-wing nonsens for ya' but never the less, the fight that PSA have at the moment and that's why I doubt PSA will run a works Peugeot outfit in the WRC.
It's a bit different with Loeb and his WTCC ambitions, as he is a national hero and the Government don't dare to touch him ... tha's politically dangerous if they do that.

MJW
3rd December 2012, 18:42
So, if as you are suggesting that 2013 will be Citroen (PSA) last year in WRC where does that leave Thierry Neuville? Maybe he wouldnt be so mad to take the (supposed) M-Sport drive that is on offer to him.

MikeD
3rd December 2012, 18:44
Maybe only two manufacturers next season. :(

There will be 3 manufacturers, but only two works-teams, Citroën (Works-Team), VW (Works-Team) and Ford (Private-Team)

MikeD
3rd December 2012, 18:51
So, if as you are suggesting that 2013 will be Citroen (PSA) last year in WRC where does that leave Thierry Neuville?

Don't know - but honestly I don't think Citroën care too much about him. He's not french and in France they will look at Ogier as their next hero. I think Citroën would let PH-Sport run their cars in 2014 as an M2/Mt team, so if Neuville wants to drive one, he has to come up with the sponsorship money - but it's only a guess.

tommeke_B
3rd December 2012, 18:53
Ford will not be a official factory-team anymore, but in reality nothing really changes, except for the drivers...

EightGear
3rd December 2012, 18:53
Wasn't Abu Dhabi on a 3 year deal with Citroen? So maybe that includes 2 years in WTCC?

tommeke_B
3rd December 2012, 18:57
Don't know - but honestly I don't think Citroën care too much about him. He's not french and in France they will look at Ogier as their next hero. I think Citroën would let PH-Sport run their cars in 2014 as an M2/Mt team, so if Neuville wants to drive one, he has to come up with the sponsorship money - but it's only a guess.
Actually Neuville was driving with MY Racing (Matton Yves his team, now Simon Jean-Joseph is running it) for a year, and during that year Neuville set his first international steps. They have built op a good relationship and I'm quite sure that they will try to keep it that way. ;) I also don't believe Thierry needs to bring money to Citroën Racing, and I don't believe he will ever need to bring money, they are a proper factory team.

noel157
3rd December 2012, 19:12
Actually Neuville was driving with MY Racing (Matton Yves his team, now Simon Jean-Joseph is running it) for a year, and during that year Neuville set his first international steps. They have built op a good relationship and I'm quite sure that they will try to keep it that way. ;) I also don't believe Thierry needs to bring money to Citroën Racing, and I don't believe he will ever need to bring money, they are a proper factory team.

+1.

MikeD
3rd December 2012, 19:18

I didn't say Neuville would need to bring money to Citroën Racing, but to PH-Sport or any other private team running the DS3's if they continue when Citroën Racing leaves the WRC after 2013.

Barreis
3rd December 2012, 19:45
There will be 3 manufacturers, but only two works-teams, Citroën (Works-Team), VW (Works-Team) and Ford (Private-Team)

Yeah, I thought for 2014 (that's next season for me :P).

stefanvv
3rd December 2012, 19:49
So... no news for Hunday i20?

ToughMac
3rd December 2012, 23:58
The problem for the PSA group is the French left-wing crap government and all the unions, who are fighting the PSA Group at the moment because they are laying of a lot of people. It can cause a lot of problems for PSA if they can find money for motorsport and at the same time say they haven't got money to keep their work-force in France. That's left-wing nonsens for ya' but never the less, the fight that PSA have at the moment and that's why I doubt PSA will run a works Peugeot outfit in the WRC.
It's a bit different with Loeb and his WTCC ambitions, as he is a national hero and the Government don't dare to touch him ... tha's politically dangerous if they do that.

Think back through the history of Peugeot motorsport and even PSA through the years. Back when the 205t16 was launched PSA were on the verge of bankruptcy. Jean Todt spearheaded the Talbot Sport Project with the ethos that regardless of the financial situation you enter motorsports just to show how strong your brand is. The 205 and rallying turned the financial fortunes of PSA around. Rallying is a core sport that they are clearly good at, they're not going to leave it behind.

Anders Grøndal
7th December 2012, 12:28
Who will develop the car?

Mirek
7th December 2012, 12:35
They set new Hyundai Motorsport department in Offenbach and there were rumors about Kris Nissen being hired to run it.

Mikkaki
7th December 2012, 14:03
They set new Hyundai Motorsport department in Offenbach and there were rumors about Kris Nissen being hired to run it.

Hope not any women gonna work in the team if he's the boss...

dimviii
7th December 2012, 17:51
Hope not any women gonna work in the team if he's the boss...

why?

A.F.F.
7th December 2012, 18:10
why?

I guess he is referring to this:

Swede Snacka: Tina Thörner Was Sexually Harrassed (http://swedesnacka.blogspot.fi/2011/01/tina-thorner-was-sexually-harrassed.html)

rallye-vid
7th December 2012, 18:10
Translate yourself ;)

Rallye-Pilotin Jutta Kleinschmidt über Volkswagen-Motorsport-Chef Kris Nissen: Er führte ein "Regiment der Angst": VW-Chef: Griff er Frau an die Brust? | Archiv*- Berliner Kurier (http://www.berliner-kurier.de/archiv/rallye-pilotin-jutta-kleinschmidt-ueber-volkswagen-motorsport-chef-kris-nissen--er-fuehrte-ein--regiment-der-angst--vw-chef--griff-er-frau-an-die-brust-,8259702,8214476.html)

makinen_fan
7th December 2012, 23:43
I guess he is referring to this:

Swede Snacka: Tina Thörner Was Sexually Harrassed (http://swedesnacka.blogspot.fi/2011/01/tina-thorner-was-sexually-harrassed.html)

was this the main reason we was dismissed from VW and replaced by Capito?

rallye-vid
8th December 2012, 11:34
Maybe ..

logic
8th December 2012, 11:36
Just saw this.

horrible and mismatched audio
Hyundai i20 WRC, very first drive - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=v0byQadWKyY)

ToughMac
8th December 2012, 11:50
This seems like a very basic test car. It has now lost its rear diffuser compared to the concept car introduced at the Paris motor show. Looking forward to seeing how its development progresses like VW through next year right up to its debut in 2014.

Mirek
8th December 2012, 12:32
Just saw this.

horrible and mismatched audio
Hyundai i20 WRC, very first drive - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=v0byQadWKyY)

"Head of the team comes from Scandinavia."

rallyfiend
8th December 2012, 14:43
"Head of the team comes from Scandinavia."

Wonder if Vatanen is coming back out to play? Who else could it be?

Tommi?

AndyRAC
8th December 2012, 14:46
Wonder if Vatanen is coming back out to play? Who else could it be?

Tommi?

If they come from Scandinavia, they won't be Finnish then...... ;)

Could be Kris Nissen, he's Danish??

gravelman
8th December 2012, 14:50
Do they mean team manager or lead driver by head of team, possibly lost in translation.

rallyfiend
8th December 2012, 15:15

Touche!

mousti
8th December 2012, 15:16

It depends how you interpret Scandinavia..

SubaruNorway
8th December 2012, 15:42
Thomas Rådström? He drove a Accent in Rallycross a few years ago, no idea if there's any other connection to Hyundai though.

T.Maanteiden kuningas
8th December 2012, 17:45
FINLAND is not a part of Scandinavia.

T.Maanteiden kuningas
8th December 2012, 18:04
Well, also Denmark is not a part of Scandinavia.

Sulland
8th December 2012, 18:21
Even if there are different definitions on scandinavia, this one is normal
Scandinavian or Nordic? The Difference Between Scandinavia and Nordic Countries (http://goscandinavia.about.com/od/scandinaviatripplanning/p/scandnordic.htm)

So scandic countries are Sweden, Denmark and Norway.

For the Nordic you add Finland(Suomi) and Iceland, and the small islands.

T.Maanteiden kuningas
8th December 2012, 18:34
Yes and then there is Fennoscandia. :D

A.F.F.
8th December 2012, 20:01
What a f**king video!!! :down:

noel157
9th December 2012, 11:00
Pathetic video really, hope it's not a sign of things to come............

EightGear
9th December 2012, 11:03
But is it an official video released by Hyundai? It looks more like it was made by someone else.

Miika
9th December 2012, 12:21
With that kind of video they are doing more harm than actually gaining something. Plus there is propably a good reason why they didn´t show the car moving from an external view, only still photos.

Mirek
9th December 2012, 12:23
In m opinion this car is nothing but an exercise. We have to wait for true WRC prototype from European based development.

AndyRAC
9th December 2012, 12:25
It's not even amateurish....it's woeful. After the VW unveiling, this is just poor...

I hope it's not a sign of things to come.

vkangas
9th December 2012, 12:39
In m opinion this car is nothing but an exercise. We have to wait for true WRC prototype from European based development.
Yep, looks like a feasibility study prototype made for management decision making. And the video on the other hand just looks like someone involved in the process was not able to resist putting it on Youtube...

EightGear
9th December 2012, 12:59
Yep, looks like a feasibility study prototype made for management decision making. And the video on the other hand just looks like someone involved in the process was not able to resist putting it on Youtube...

Excactly. I see no reason why this should be an official video released by Hyundai.

dimviii
9th December 2012, 19:15
from Colins twitter
Colin Clark ‏@voiceofrally (https://twitter.com/voiceofrally)
@RallyingUK (https://twitter.com/RallyingUK) Petter told me yesterday he has had absolutely no communications with Hyundai. Can't find anyone who's working the project!

COD
9th December 2012, 23:03

Really hope not... His reputation is not very good

Plan9
10th December 2012, 07:00
I know this is abit early but I hope they make a R5/RRC version of the i20. It would be good for teh APRC to have going against the MRF Skodas and Protons eventually.

Sulland
10th December 2012, 08:20
R5 would make sense for the future.

MartijnS
10th December 2012, 15:11
Colin Clark ‏@voiceofrally

Something going on at Hyundai, but unclear what! Hearing a component supplier was due to deliver WRC spec parts but order changed to R5 spec

noel157
10th December 2012, 15:33
Getting cold feet already?

skarderud
10th December 2012, 16:00
Maybe they've know something about future rules that we don't?

EightGear
10th December 2012, 16:01

Again, Colin Clark:

"@voiceofrally: @Andrew_Coley What was suggested to me this morning was that WRC could well be going R5 in a couple of years! Can see a lot of sense in that"

Mirek
10th December 2012, 16:33
I strongly hope not or the R5 price will grow sky high...

dimviii
10th December 2012, 16:41
I strongly hope not or the R5 price will grow sky high...

Mirek they are already sky high

Mirek
10th December 2012, 17:28
They are still way lower than of WRC cars so there is a lot of potential to grow...

Don't forget Fiesta WRC costs almost half million Euro and it's running cost is triple to naturally aspirated S2000.

ToughMac
10th December 2012, 17:48

Did somebody forget to tell VW?

Sulland
10th December 2012, 18:20

This has imo been the writing on the wall for some time. WRC will die in 14 or 15.
What are the odds in the betting firms for this scenario as of today?

dimviii
10th December 2012, 18:32
They are still way lower than of WRC cars so there is a lot of potential to grow...

Don't forget Fiesta WRC costs almost half million Euro and it's running cost is triple to naturally aspirated S2000.

They will be lower at start Mirek.Wait to see what will happen after a year or so when 3-4 manufacturers will sell ''upgrade'' r5 cars.Turbo-4wd-special parts for almost whole body= expensive.
Expect to be much more expensive than s2ooo naturally aspirated cars,and cant see where is the cheap solution they find.

SubaruNorway
10th December 2012, 21:29
I think this says it all about this project..

The WasteGate: The Curious Case of Hyundai in the WRC (http://thewastegate.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/the-strange-case-of-hyundai-wrc.html)

Rallyper
10th December 2012, 21:47
Putting some 70 million Euros in the project makes no doubt they are serious, aren´t they?

alleskids
10th December 2012, 22:05
is it clear that Hyundai puts any budget at all from the Board of commision?

I think this newly Hyundai WRC return is fake

dimviii
10th December 2012, 23:29
I think this says it all about this project..

The WasteGate: The Curious Case of Hyundai in the WRC (http://thewastegate.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/the-strange-case-of-hyundai-wrc.html)

dont know what to say....agree that the ''approach'' is a little bit strange,also i freezed the video there where is the display in front of c-driver and i saw some temps for front and rear diffs very strange.The one diff was something like 120 and the rear something 70?..
wrc cars have diff radiators to keep the diff oils at a particular level,and 120 celsious is very high temp for a diff with radiator.

noel157
10th December 2012, 23:58
dont know what to say....agree that the ''approach'' is a little bit strange,also i freezed the video there where is the display in front of c-driver and i saw some temps for front and rear diffs very strange.The one diff was something like 120 and the rear something 70?..
wrc cars have diff radiators to keep the diff oils at a particular level,and 120 celsious is very high temp for a diff with radiator.

The Bosch instruments/data loggers haven't been calibrated (so a friend who knows about such things tells me) so hard to know what the situation is. The values may mean nothing.

dimviii
11th December 2012, 00:04
The Bosch instruments/data loggers haven't been calibrated (so a friend who knows about such things tells me) so hard to know what the situation is. The values may mean nothing.

is it possible to a wrc car to dont be calibrated-work proper?

Sulland
11th December 2012, 00:09
Maybe Petter is the Scaninavian man in the team management?
Would be a scoop for them!

bf1_IRL
11th December 2012, 01:34

Well if just the essentials for driving are working, the non essential 'data gathering' sensors can be set correctly and recorded at a later date :)

Prisoner Monkeys
11th December 2012, 08:20
If it is a fake, then what do Hyundai stand to gain from an elaborate, 70 million Euro hoax? They're the ones who presented the car in the first place. If they were just talking up the idea of entering the WRC, then they've done a pretty poor job of it, since virtually nothing is known about the car, and very little has been seen.

It makes no sense for the i20 WRC to be some kind of fraud.

Mirek
11th December 2012, 09:14

It's not a WRC car but only a basic study in my opinion. True WRC will be build only in Germany.

You mean that a third largest carmaker in the world started fake campaign? Silly idea, isn't it?

Anyway I don't know why You all find the situation so strange just because one clearly unofficial video when there is same story ongoing with Toyota. Same planned timing, same lack of information but no-one complains that their plans are fake...

Donney
11th December 2012, 09:49
If it helps I also think Toyota's return is fake.

AndyRAC
11th December 2012, 10:01
Hmm, I’m not sure about Toyota – they’ve announced just a 2 car team for next years WEC, including Le Mans. So that seems to be their priority.

Mirek
11th December 2012, 10:04
If it helps I also think Toyota's return is fake.

So they are searching for people to give them job on fake project?

EightGear
11th December 2012, 10:06
Nissen vntas leda Hyundai mot WRC comeback. - emotorsport.se (http://www.emotorsport.se/nyheter.php?in=2&nyhets_id=7080)

This article says that Kris Nissen will lead the project and that the driver will be....Jari Ketomaa

liposh
11th December 2012, 10:13
I have got totally different opinion about Hyundai comeback. I think they found something, some gap in WRC-regulations and they are trying to hide it until new Hyundai will enter first rally...and that is the reason why the promo video was so...weird. EDIT: Sorry, mistake, there were 2 promo videos...and both were weird :D I mean that official promo few months ago, where the car sounds like "electric car".

Roy
11th December 2012, 10:22
So they are searching for people to give them job on fake project?

I have nothing heard about a comeback of Toyata. How do you know they search people and what for employees?

Hyundai comes with an official release. So i believe They will come, but when and how? The press release was less content.
They need more communicate about their project soon, before it looks silly from the third car manufacturer of the world.

Fri
11th December 2012, 10:35
http://www.toyota-motorsport.com/images/tmg/pdf/seniortest%20engineer%20rally%20car%20development% 20march%202012.pdf

rallyfiend
11th December 2012, 10:45
Hyundai launched their future project at the Geneva Motor Show - one of the most important motor shows in the world.

A car company like Hyundai not going to do that with a 'hoax' project. That's just ludicrous.

Just because some gossip hungry people aren't hearing things, doesn't mean it's not happening...

A FONDO
11th December 2012, 11:02
Nissen vntas leda Hyundai mot WRC comeback. - emotorsport.se (http://www.emotorsport.se/nyheter.php?in=2&nyhets_id=7080)

This article says that Kris Nissen will lead the project and that the driver will be....Jari Ketomaa
:eek: Hope it's not true. I was pleased when they said they will develop the car by themselves (not english preparator) but now this driver choice.... Maybe only Sousa for Lotus was worse choice :dozey:

Rallyper
11th December 2012, 15:25
Also? Did Toyota officially confirm anything? (Edit: Except for the employee advert)

Huyndai is a different thing.

JRodrigues
11th December 2012, 15:55
Well.. Toyota presented the Yaris R1. Maybe they just got on that.