Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    I think Womans are like GT cars. They are looking better and its better to see GT cars in the stages. Next year we will have GT Cup in Wrc. What we actually need is GT cars on the top level of Wrc and i think its the same for Women drivers.

2. Likes: A FONDO (12th November 2014)
    친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sch17 View Post
    I think...
    you should not think... let other people do that.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kirungi okwogera View Post
    Maybe it's late at night but I've having trouble imagining currently male-dominated areas of life where an increased female presence would not improve them in some way, at least giving them some personal variety.
    I must respectfully disagree. Why is it any more important to have females in male dominated sports than it would be to have more people of color in White dominated sports or more Jews or Muslims in Christian dominated sports???

The major issue I have (only issue, really) with the push to bring more women into motorsports is that most of them rely solely (or mostly) on their gender and tend not to have the talent to be where they are. Of course, Danica is the best (worst) example. But from what I just saw of this Louise Cook person, she's not so different. She seems to have a bit of basic talent, but apart from her gender, she would not register on the radar of the WRC, IMO. She's probably a very nice person though. But so are a lot of people. They're not in the WRC (F1, NASCAR, or even the lowly IRL) either. She's cute, young and blonde... so she becomes a topic of discussion for those reasons alone.

Not to hijack this thread with a mention of F1, but I do give F1 credit for not always touting Lewis Hamilton's race. Other than when there was a racial dust-up in Spain during the Hamilton-Alonso War, Hamilton's race is never mentioned. But the fact is, he is not just the most successful British driver, he's also the most successful Black driver in history - but is that ever mentioned... can that even be mentioned? So now let's compare that with Susie Wolff, Danica Patrick and this Louise girl. If not for some sort of feminist angle, what would there be to talk about? IMO, not much at all.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 105 Times in 53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    I must respectfully disagree. Why is it any more important to have females in male dominated sports than it would be to have more people of color in White dominated sports or more Jews or Muslims in Christian dominated sports???

The major issue I have (only issue, really) with the push to bring more women into motorsports is that most of them rely solely (or mostly) on their gender and tend not to have the talent to be where they are. Of course, Danica is the best (worst) example. But from what I just saw of this Louise Cook person, she's not so different. She seems to have a bit of basic talent, but apart from her gender, she would not register on the radar of the WRC, IMO. She's probably a very nice person though. But so are a lot of people. They're not in the WRC (F1, NASCAR, or even the lowly IRL) either. She's cute, young and blonde... so she becomes a topic of discussion for those reasons alone.

Not to hijack this thread with a mention of F1, but I do give F1 credit for not always touting Lewis Hamilton's race. Other than when there was a racial dust-up in Spain during the Hamilton-Alonso War, Hamilton's race is never mentioned. But the fact is, he is not just the most successful British driver, he's also the most successful Black driver in history - but is that ever mentioned... can that even be mentioned? So now let's compare that with Susie Wolff, Danica Patrick and this Louise girl. If not for some sort of feminist angle, what would there be to talk about? IMO, not much at all.
    Wait, you said you disagree with me right? So do you claim that motorsport is worsened by having female drivers competing?

Or, from what you've written, it looks like you're just saying you're not a fan of the few there are at the moment, or not happy with the fact that they are viewed as novelties rather than contenders failing or succeeding on a level playing field? Because that was kind of my point as well - we're actually in agreement. As for race and any other categories you can name, I don't think sex is more important than any other type of diversity, so we agree there too.

And N.O.T. my comment was in anticipation of yours. I understand that you are only interested in (to quote myself) "minuscule differences of the finest driver in the world at the top level". That's why I wrote my third paragraph. So women, thus far, haven't performed as well as men (except for the occasional ones who have), so what? And wanting a female presence in one's life outside family is not a wrong life choice and to be frank that's a pretty odd thing to think. I see enough of men at work and in public spheres, and women have much to contribute to an interesting life for those who want one. Welcome back to the year 1700 I guess.

6. Likes: janvanvurpa (13th November 2014)
    Liked 9,387 Times in 4,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.T View Post
    I never understood why we must have women in some sports when it is obvious they cannot perform as good as men...
    Michèle Mouton ? Competing in the World Rally Championship for the Audi factory team, she took four victories and finished runner-up in the drivers' world championship in 1982...

#M-SPORTER

8. Likes: pantealex (28th November 2014),Sch17 (12th November 2014),turves (12th November 2014)
    친애하는 지도자
    i do not want to talk about mouton... people are going to be offended.

But we are also talking about the 80s... compared to drivers of today these hamburger boys are nothing... good for their era but compared to todays drivers were jokes at least 80% of them.

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.T View Post
    i do not want to talk about mouton... people are going to be offended.

But we are also talking about the 80s... compared to drivers of today these hamburger boys are nothing... good for their era but compared to todays drivers were jokes at least 80% of them.
    Really? Then that means there was 20% who were good and that is far better than today...
    You of all people have for years said nearly everybody are "sick dogs" and "village drivers" and a host of other intentionally derogatory title for all but maybe 3 maybe 4 drivers...And oddly enough, aside from the contemptuousness you write with I basically agree...

Problem is we know you are too young to have been around back then, and so you are just blabbering about things you have seen on TV or something; you really don't know...Truth is that plenty of guys were good then because more people had a chance to compete more and get experience.. Todays cars are orders of magnitude more expensive and too expensive for anybody but a few to drive. Guys like your hero Ben Klock, America's Rally God. (who you are right, he needs a chin! he ought to be able to afford one!)
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

11. Likes: AndyRAC (13th November 2014)
    친애하는 지도자
    Quote Originally Posted by janvanvurpa View Post
    Really? Then that means there was 20% who were good and that is far better than today...
    I am not comparing them to Loeb or even Ogier Latvala Gronholm... that would be sacrilege... i am comparing them to guys like Ostberg, mikkelsen ects... compared to them and their speed they are not close... yes the cars were harder to drive and the rallies longer and all that romantic things we tell girls to impress them on dates, but those smoking, unfit, hamburger boys would not stand a chance against the middle level of todays drivers... maybe 1 or 2 of them and again i have my doubts.

친애하는 지도자
    Quote Originally Posted by kirungi okwogera View Post
    And N.O.T. my comment was in anticipation of yours. I understand that you are only interested in (to quote myself) "minuscule differences of the finest driver in the world at the top level". That's why I wrote my third paragraph. So women, thus far, haven't performed as well as men (except for the occasional ones who have), so what? And wanting a female presence in one's life outside family is not a wrong life choice and to be frank that's a pretty odd thing to think. I see enough of men at work and in public spheres, and women have much to contribute to an interesting life for those who want one. Welcome back to the year 1700 I guess.
    i am not generalising on women, of course there are areas where they can do a job as good as men in every day life and outperform men (i had a really smart comment inserted here but since all in here are sensitive little flowers you might get offended) but rallying is not one so they should stick to village events.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Rallying has Always been a "macho sport". Esp on local level its mostly middle aged men. So there are even more obsticles for women to even get a chance. I dont Think half of humanity should be excluded from any public arena! To promote the few who does break throu would be a benefit for all.