Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    how did michael schumacher repeat as champion without his personal number?

how did ben spies in ama do it?

and nicky was no embarrassment to the #1 plate. he wore it proudly and fought hard on a bike designed for a man half his size. the respect he showed for it was the effort he put forth EVERY SINGLE RACE.
    mmmmm, makes a nice sandwich. a nice sandwich.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would say that Hayden's victory celebration was more embarrassing than anything. For the FPA to hoot and holler and jump up and down like he won the title with some semblance of victory? Gimme a break.
    edlalu rides his cbr600f4i everyday!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T-D
    how did michael schumacher repeat as champion without his personal number?
    By the end of it Schumacher's personal number basically was#1

He never had a regular number before then i don't think (certainly not in F1 of course)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JETFX...
    I have yet to see anyone in pre season testing look remotely threatening to Stoner and Ducati domination.
    You may also notice that even an F1 champ needs half of season adjustment before he got himself comfortable drive with the new tires.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I think a personel number is like a security blanket. If you are happy with that number, then maybe you will perform better using it. I agree that it is all in the mind, but, remember that some athletes pay big dollars to hire motivation coaches to get them in the right frame of mind to sucseed, so, if your favourite number can do that for you, then I think it's a bargain.
    Sandra O is YUMMY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by racer69
    By the end of it Schumacher's personal number basically was#1

He never had a regular number before then i don't think (certainly not in F1 of course)
    exactly the point i am trying to make. if the fim mandated numbering system like the fia, then all of the superstitions would be buried. no one really thinks rossi wouldn't have won 4 motogp titles without the "46", do they? certainly if he were forced to use the #1, then rossi would just get on with it.

besides, only sheene and rossi have ever gone against the tradition.
    mmmmm, makes a nice sandwich. a nice sandwich.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    it's just because those perceived their natural talent will not too much proud of using the #1

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T-D
    exactly the point i am trying to make. if the fim mandated numbering system like the fia, then all of the superstitions would be buried. no one really thinks rossi wouldn't have won 4 motogp titles without the "46", do they? certainly if he were forced to use the #1, then rossi would just get on with it.

besides, only sheene and rossi have ever gone against the tradition.
    The FIM system is the best IMHO with the exception of #1. #1 should be mandatory.

a few years ago The FIA tried to make the F1 numbers permanent like they used to be until 1994 but some teams weren't happy about it.

keeping the same numbers also helps with marketing IMHO
    I got my motorcycle jacket, but I'm walking all the time...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisS
    The FIM system is the best IMHO with the exception of #1. #1 should be mandatory.
    I completely agree. The current FIM system of allowing riders to keep their favourite numbers year in, year out is good, it helps build up the riders identity, but the #1 should be made mandatory for the champions. It's the easiest way for casual observers to know who is the guy to beat.

Full credit to Casey Stoner for chosing to run the number 1 plate, and to Nicky Hayden before him.
    Jono Porter 12/05/81 - 09/06/04
    MX's Celeb Crush - Sue Bird :love:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I am not really sure without using #1 people would not be easy to identify who is the guy to beat. After all hoping the the #1 syndrome would not happen to Casey.

45 46 45 46, 45 is great choice too