Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazell B
    Hasn't it happened already? I'm sure a Sir or two have been de-Sir-ed (couldn't think of another way to put that : ) but might be mistaken.

Lester Piggott was a Sir, wasn't he?
    Cue scene in Spitting Image portraying the errant tax dodging jockey languishing in his prison cell while a Peter O Sullivan sound-a-like bawls excitedly
    "He's on the inside, he's on the inside, Lester's on the inside"

Prince Naseem? Couldn't happen to a more puffed up, conceited little twat.
    This bloke is the complete antithesis of most fighters who are by and large an amiable and humble bunch of characters viz a vis Duke McKenzie, Glen McCory, Amir Khan etc.
    Oh golly Oh gosh Had a lie on the couch with a nice bit o' posh from Burnham-On-Crouch:mad:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Don't be so sure about Amir Khan, he's rumoured to be on the same path as Hamed. His big talk then poor showing on Superstars didn't help his image much, either :
    "The Jaguar's going cheap"
    "Shouldn't it be purring?" :confused:

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazell B
    Hasn't it happened already? I'm sure a Sir or two have been de-Sir-ed (couldn't think of another way to put that : ) but might be mistaken.
    That's different to losing a peerage, if that's what you're referring back to.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The text-book case for this was Lord Kagan. He first became a Knight and later received a peerage. Later still he received a ten-month prison sentence for theft and false accounting. The Queen revoked his knighthood, but had no power to revoke his peerage; that could be done only by the Lords themselves, and their lordships declined to do it. So Lord Kagan remained a member of the House of Lords after being released from prison, and was active in the House until his death in 1995.

Lord Lucan was another criminal member of the House of Lords. He was generally believed to have been a murderer. He disappeared into hiding, so no one thought it necessary to move that his peerage be revoked.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannex
    The text-book case for this was Lord Kagan. He first became a Knight and later received a peerage. Later still he received a ten-month prison sentence for theft and false accounting. The Queen revoked his knighthood, but had no power to revoke his peerage; that could be done only by the Lords themselves, and their lordships declined to do it. So Lord Kagan remained a member of the House of Lords after being released from prison, and was active in the House until his death in 1995.

Lord Lucan was another criminal member of the House of Lords. He was generally believed to have been a murderer. He disappeared into hiding, so no one thought it necessary to move that his peerage be revoked.
    I was thinking, as I always do, of Baron Archer of Weston-super-Mare of Mark in the County of Somerset, to give him his full title, but Joseph Kagan also fits the bill well. There has to be one rule for both Houses of Parliament.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    I was thinking, as I always do, of Baron Archer of Weston-super-Mare of Mark in the County of Somerset, to give him his full title, but Joseph Kagan also fits the bill well. There has to be one rule for both Houses of Parliament.
    Ah, that wonderful ex-politician, he's on the tele now

Millionaire giveaway or something on ITV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm not sure on this, BDunnell, but I think there IS one rule for both Houses of Parliament. In both cases, the Queen does not have the power to revoke membership; only the House itself can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannex
    I'm not sure on this, BDunnell, but I think there IS one rule for both Houses of Parliament. In both cases, the Queen does not have the power to revoke membership; only the House itself can do that.
    As far as I'm aware, the rules are different, because if an MP gets a criminal conviction he/she is automatically excluded from the House. This is why there have been various campaigns to change the rules in relation to the Lords, in order to make things uniform. The Government once said it was going to look at this, and then decided against.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Oddly enough I stumbled across disgraced peer Jeffrey Archer on New Years Day as I was taking a reviving stroll across Hampstead Heath.
    He was hiding in a bush with his trousers down and appeared to be interfering most vigorously with his bodily particles.
    When I challenged the sweating wearer of the ermine as to the reason for his behaviour he immediately put my mind at ease by pointing out that he was merely looking for members of the Liberal Party and some badgers.
    Phew!

Yours faithfully
    Bill Permapissed
    Deputy Editor
    News Of The World
    Oh golly Oh gosh Had a lie on the couch with a nice bit o' posh from Burnham-On-Crouch:mad:

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I'm very pleased about this. Not only did the arrogant idiot almost kill a man, he wrote off a McLaren Merc in the process.

An honour comes with a certain amount of responsibilty. We don't expect our great and good to behave like saints 24/7, but to flee the scene of a near-fatal accident is the behaviour of a lowlife.

Archer, athough he never physically hurt anybody, is in some ways worse as he deliberately set out to commit a crime. While Hamed may argue (unconvincingly) that his actions were spur-of-the-moment, Archer's perjury was premeditated and intentional.

On the face of it, it does look somewhat hypocritical that the lord gets to keep his title while the boxer loses his.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u