Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Australian Superbikes 2006 recap and 2007 preview

2006 proved to be something of a disappointing year in the Australian Superbike Championship (ASC). Jamie Stauffer doubled up, winning both the superbike and supersport titles for Yamaha. His only competition (in superbike) was Honda privateer Russell Holland who was in with a chance all the way until the last round.
    Unfortunately all other factory riders had problems, particularly with injury. Former multiple champ and contender Shawn Giles busted his pelvis midway through the year. 2004 champ Adam Fergusson broke a couple of vertebrae and other bones at the start of the year and returned later in the season only to get injured again. Their teammates in Robbie Bugden and Glen Allerton also had injury problems. Kawasaki's Shannon Johnson started the season strongly on an under-developed bike but also suffered injury from a training crash on his treadlie. To add to the injuries, Honda and Kawasaki also had tyre problems with their Michelins often not surviving race distance (of only 8 laps) and having to run treaded supersport tyres at times.

So now we move on to 2007 and it is the most promising ASC that I can remember. There have been some major team reshuffles and the field looks as deep as I can ever remember it since the early to mid 90's. Here is a run down on each of the manufacturers for next season.

Yamaha

For Yamaha, 2007 is a case of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Defending champ, Jamie Stauffer, will head up their superbike and supersport assaults again with brother Daniel competing again in the superbike class only. Dunlop will remain as tyre supplier.

Honda

Big changes for Honda next year including riders, tyres, sponsors and personnel. Honda were embarrassed that their assault was led by a privateer last season and launched a comprehensive investigation to suss out where they needed to improve. They started by changing their riders. In are 06 ASC runner-up Russell Holland and youngster Bryan Staring has been promoted from their supersport team. Adam Fergusson has been pushed sideways into a factory supported satelite team and Glen Allerton is expected to ride a factory assisted privateer Honda.
    Michelin have been dropped for 2007 (except for Fergussons DVS Honda team)after a sub-par performance in 06, with Pirelli to supply the rubber after an impressive showing with Holland in 06.
    Joe Rocket have been replaced as major sponsor by camera company, Konika Minolta.

Suzuki

Longtime Suzuki rider and multiple champion Shawn Giles will front-up Yoshimura Suzuki's campaign next year. Young-gun Robbie Bugden has been ousted after only 1 season and still young Craig Coxhell has returned to the team that took him to the 2003 title after a stint overseas. Dunlop will again supply the rubber.

Kawasaki

Substantial changes are afoot at team green as well for 2007. Kawasaki retain Shannon Johnson as their lead rider and add 24 year old Wayne Maxwell to their team. Both riders will race superbike AND supersport. Unfortunately they were unable to retain the services of talented youngster, Josh Waters, who is off to Suzuki to ride their supersport bike. Similar to Honda, Kawasaki have undergone a personnel re-structure with Dave 'Radar' Cullen who used to run the dominant Radar Yamaha Team with Kevin Curtain now heading things up. Michelin have been retained as the tyre supplier but will want a substantial improvement on 2006.
    Also of note, there is a new Kawasaki privateer team running next year. Normally this wouldn't be of much interest but for the rider they have hired in a certain Anthony Gobert. Hope much help they will have from the factory I am unsure but the news is reported on the Kawasaki Australia website so hopefully that is a good sign.
    http://www.kawasaki.com.au/kawpublic...min2007ASC.pdf

MV Agusta

MV Agusta are to field a team in the ASC next season running veterans Craig Trinder and John Allen. Craig's brother Steve will run the team and the view is to treat 07 as a development year ready for a full-on assault in 2008. They are said to be working closely with the MV factory in Italy.

So, next year promises a lot for motorcycle racing fans in Australia. The manufacturers are getting more involved, the depth of quality of riders and machinery is as good as it has been for many years. The series has a television package on free-to-air station SBS and also on pay-tv through Foxtel where it will also reach other countries in the region. The only drawbacks that I can really see are that the races are still too short. There should be a 10 lap heat race followed by a 15 lap main - MINIMUM! The other negative is that there is no race in Western Australia this year or at Australia's premier race track, Phillip Island. Hopefully steps can be made to rectify this in 2008.

Roll on 2007!
    Get off my lawn

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I read the go show was back in Aus SBK but I didnt know anything about the team. This could be interesting, all the best to him
    I got my motorcycle jacket, but I'm walking all the time...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool OZ Supers

This season is shaping as a beauty. I like the way Honda operate with the total repackage of the team that did not work in 06'. Great to see Kawasaki introducing Maxwell into a factory team. Whilst it is great to have Cocko back it is a shame to see Bugden pushed out when Giles is on his last legs. J Stauffer is gunna be tough again in 07. Bring it on!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach24
    This season is shaping as a beauty. I like the way Honda operate with the total repackage of the team that did not work in 06'. Great to see Kawasaki introducing Maxwell into a factory team. Whilst it is great to have Cocko back it is a shame to see Bugden pushed out when Giles is on his last legs. J Stauffer is gunna be tough again in 07. Bring it on!
    It is a shame Bugden is out of the Suzuki ride but make no mistake, a fit Giles is a contender. Hopefully Robbie can get a competitive privateer ride with some factory involvement coz the guy is quick.
    Get off my lawn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Talking

[quote="NinjaMaster"]It is a shame Bugden is out of the Suzuki ride but make no mistake, a fit Giles is a contender. Hopefully Robbie can get a competitive privateer ride with some factory involvement coz the guy is quick.[/QUOTE

The whole Giles saga is people thinking with their hearts and not their heads. Honda got it right by keeping Krusty associated with the brand yet let him bow out gracefully. I have no doubt Gilsey will be quick, but I don't think he will win a championship..... Bugden was well on his way. I respect your opinion Ninj and as a Giles fan over many years I hope he proves me wrong. Potentially we have the best OZ supers season in many years ahead of us.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach24
    The whole Giles saga is people thinking with their hearts and not their heads. Honda got it right by keeping Krusty associated with the brand yet let him bow out gracefully. I have no doubt Gilsey will be quick, but I don't think he will win a championship..... Bugden was well on his way. I respect your opinion Ninj and as a Giles fan over many years I hope he proves me wrong. Potentially we have the best OZ supers season in many years ahead of us.
    Hehe, Krusty wouldn't like you stating he is bowing out gracefully! He is supremely confident that he will be up the pointy end and is determined to give it to Honda for pushing him aside from the factory team. His team is basically factory backed but with more freedom to puch the limits of the bike.

On Giles, he can definately win another title. Remember, he drew with Brookesy in 05 only to be beaten on countback (no. of wins) and was immediately back on the podium when he returned from injury at seasons end. I agree that a similar setup to Ferusson would have been a good idea to retain Giles whilst looking to the future and keeping Bugden but maybe even the same sort of setup with Robbie would work well too?

One thing we both agree on is that this is definately the most promising season upcoming for years...and I can't wait for it to start!
    Get off my lawn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    How close are Australian Superbike regulations to FIM Superbike regulations, from what i can gather our regs are much more along the lines of Superstock?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That's about right, at least for now. The major superbike series (national and world) all got together during the year to nut out like regulations betweem all the series so hopefully Australia will be able to return to full FIM spec bikes in the near future that can compete as wildcards when WSB comes to town.
    Get off my lawn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Good thread Clint, it's great to have a perspective on some of the series we don't hear so much about
    "Of course, what many people tend to forget is that Glen Richards was 2nd in the 1993 Australian 125cc championship" - Jack Burnicle on BSB at Snetterton, June 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The series has a television package on free-to-air station SBS and also on pay-tv through Foxtel where it will also reach other countries in the region.
    Hmmm - the coverage via SBS has more filler than actual racing. Be nice if they actually showed a complete race sometimes, rather than just the overtaking manoeuvres and crashes.