Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Would you climb Everest?

Given the chance, would you take on such a challenge?

Over the weekend I was invited to a village festival (think scenes from Midsomer Murders just before the arrow/pitchfork/poisoned dart appears) and the people next to my stand had pirate gear for sale. Thinking it a bit odd that a late-fifties couple and their rather posh son were dressed as Jack Sparrow, I asked what they were raising funds for. Seems the son had been given a shot at Everest, so long as he pays his own way. The pirate costumes were their idea to make that money.

He was asked 18 months ago and leaves in 4 weeks. The cash has been raised, all bar a few hundred quid, by the village and his workmates, family and friends.

By the middle of the morning almost everyone on the festival grounds had on at least one piece of pirate costume, so I guess he's made his last few pounds easily. Even the local farm dog, who was sitting by the gates welcoming people to the show ground, had a skull and crossbones bandana on ..... and the brass band played the theme to Pirates of the Caribbean twice :

So, if you could raise the cash and had the skill level required, would you leave family and friends to do something like climbing a dangerous mountain?

I wouldn't. I'm too chicken
    "The Jaguar's going cheap"
    "Shouldn't it be purring?" :confused:

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazell B
    think scenes from Midsomer Murders just before the arrow/pitchfork/poisoned dart appears
    I think of little else!

Quote Originally Posted by Hazell B
    I wouldn't. I'm too chicken
    Same here. Getting the required skill level is too big an 'if' for me.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Its odd you ask Hazel as I was reading the paper on the train on the way to work this morning and saw an advertisement for a Basecamp trek around on Everest for Scope. I'm to do a charity zipline event for them next weekend in Leeds and thought yeah, I could do Everest for them too.

Then I thought about it a little more seriously and I don't think I could afford it financially as I'd have to take unpaid time off work (sadly I dont have anyone else to pay my bills for me) and the fundraising targets are very high to which I dont think I have the time to put in the effort required to raise amounts in excess of Ł3000. I'm not the fastest climber either and I think I would hold the group back but I seriously would love the adventure.

I do love climbing mountain's though. I'm doing the Wainwrights in the Lake District but I'm a long way off completeing all 214 peak's and I really do want to do get round to doing the thee peaks of Yorkshire. There isn't much more satisfying than when you reach the top even if the clouds have come in and you can't see a thing. I do get a bit bored on the way down when I'm feeling tired and I've fell on flat on my butt a couple of times, or even into a bog up to my knee's like what happen when I was on my way down from my last mountain a few weeks ago but on that day when you do have an amazing view, it really is worth it.
    My phone has an alarm clock! Ner Ner! :p

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    I would have loved too, however I'm enough of a realist to know that I have neither the physical nor mental qualities required to have ever achieved this.

I had Altitude sickness years ago after flying into Leh and then doing too much on the first afternoon with out allowing for climitisation. It was not very nice! Leh is only 3,500 metres, under 1/2 the height of Everest.

Liked 578 Times in 210 Posts
    If I was also given enough time to get to an appropriate level of fitness, then sure, why not?
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i'd definately do it with the right equipment provided, just to say that i have done it
    If England ever perform at a World Cup, make sure you wake me up :p:
    Steven Gerrard- Modern Day Hero (On his day :p: )

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J4MIE
    If I was also given enough time to get to an appropriate level of fitness, then sure, why not?
    Exactly I'd do it if possible, both in money and fitness terms
    Fan of Timo Glock and proud of it! :champion: 3 podiums, new start as a Virgin :p

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by J4MIE
    Maybe because of the 10% chances of dying?
    You can't make a person love another person. You can only pray for it.

Stupid rules => stupid consequences :s

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tinchote
    I would have thought that the risk of dying was much higher than 10%.

http://www.everestnews.com/Default.htm

is a good website, in particular read about Lincoln Hall who was left for dead after failing all tests for life, being poked in the eye etc....

http://www.everestnews.com/everest20...st05262006.htm

Years ago I trekked into the Annapurna Base Camp which was spectacular, if only I had taken a camera with me, this is about as close as I'll ever get doing a serious mountain climb.

Liked 578 Times in 210 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tinchote
    Sometimes you have to go and do something like that to really feel alive
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!