Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    It would be highly interesting to read the contract which is ready already, just waititng for Marcus' signature. Like jonkka said, all the travel days away from home, PR which he has never been too keen of, and now lately the amount of testing, they're all bugging him. That was indeed in the interview he gave.

How much do you think Malcom Wilson is willing to come forward, just keep him driving next year? I mean, in terms of all those responsibilities?

Also, one year contract, one year of driving = might be a helluva amount of money. Might be a motivator.
    Another Flying Finn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A.F.F.
    Also, one year contract, one year of driving = might be a helluva amount of money. Might be a motivator.
    What I really respect in Marcus is that he doesn't run away from the tough finnish taxation system... Like Kimi Raikkonen did moving to Monte Carlo (tight?). I mean how much out of those 5 millions Marcus will getin Finland? About a half I suppose... While being a resident of another country (like Kimi) he could save all his money...
    Martin Holmes about Sebastien Loeb: "Misery is being beaten when you just can't understand why".

Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts
    Rally New Zealand may not have helped Marcus decision:
    Long journey away of home on one side, but great rallying and sweet win on the other

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Sauron
    What I really respect in Marcus is that he doesn't run away from the tough finnish taxation system... Like Kimi Raikkonen did moving to Monte Carlo (tight?). I mean how much out of those 5 millions Marcus will getin Finland? About a half I suppose... While being a resident of another country (like Kimi) he could save all his money...
    Very good and very often forgetten point Frodo

And not just Kimi Räikkönen, I could name half of a dozen other Flying Finns who decided to stay abroad during their active career.
    Another Flying Finn

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    We most all hope that by Monte, Subaru is on the pace. It's beginning to show signs that they have turned the corner.
    'Heroes don't die, they just move on to the next stage.' CMac Forever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm not sure how much longer Marcus will drive for, but I have noticed that he doesn't seem as free and happy was he once was at the end of stage interviews. Even when he's winning he seems a lot more reserved or short than he was in his early WRC days with Peugeot.

I remember some of the interviews he gave to Barry Sheene in Rally Oz and his enthusiasm was almost bubbling out of the TV screen. It's a shame to see him so different.
    wrc.smugmug.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cut the b.s.
    Nonsense
    Cut the B.S, would you care to elaborate out of respect for a fellow forumer?

My point is that IMO drivers themselves want to go out on a high and not go out on a low. It is a balancing act towards the end of their careers as true championship winning competitiveness in motorsport deteriorates due to age whether the drivers like it or not.

I did not say that it is the last anyone remembers of them, or that it taints their career, simply that it the last anyone sees of them on the stages. And all of these drivers are extremely competitive and therefore want to be winning every time they roll up to a start line.

To say that personal competitiveness is NOT a consideration to top drivers when thinking of their own retirement is "nonsense".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I wonder if Malcolm is putting any pressure on Marcus. Consider this.

Malcolm really wants Jari-Matti in the number two seat of Ford (for obvious reasons) but 2008 is one year too early, he needs to learn consistency. So that leaves Malcolm with a dilema for next year if Marcus retires - who does he put in the seat next to Mikko? If he was to sign Petter you can bet it wouldn't be on a one year contract, which means that in 2008 he would have to let Mikko or Jari-Matti go. If I was Malcolm the easiest solution would be to keep Marcus for one more year then replace him with Jari-Matti; maybe I could throw extra cash at him to convince him to stay.

What do you reckon?

Curry

Liked 661 Times in 356 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by curry
    Malcolm really wants Jari-Matti in the number two seat of Ford (for obvious reasons)
    How do you know that? What are those obvious reasons?

Quote Originally Posted by curry
    If I was Malcolm the easiest solution would be to keep Marcus for one more year then replace him with Jari-Matti; maybe I could throw extra cash at him to convince him to stay.
    Malcolm and Ford do need Marcus if they are to have a realistic shot at makes title in 2008, regardless of what other teams do. So it is obvious that unless there is suitable replacement - which there is not - Malcolm will want to keep Marcus driving. Unfortunately, I do not think it all depends on money. Marcus got more than enough (if he would be motivated by money, he'd be living in Monaco) and Ford is not believed to be the richest of the teams (though perhaps Abu Dhabi money has changed that).

Liked 661 Times in 356 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by duff
    My point is that IMO drivers themselves want to go out on a high and not go out on a low.

To say that personal competitiveness is NOT a consideration to top drivers when thinking of their own retirement is "nonsense".
    Evidence points otherwise. There are many drivers that have signed to an under-dog team in the twilight of their career than there are those that bowed out while still on a winning team - or, on one they hoped would be a winning team.

Auriol and Skoda, Kankkunen and Hyundai, McRae and Skoda, Kenneth Eriksson and Skoda, Mikkola and Mazda, Blomqvist and Nissan, Panizzi and Mitsubishi.

Carlos Sainz, Tommi Makinen and Miki Biasion retired from a winning team.

I think it would be wrong to say that all drivers are like this or like that. So, there certainly are drivers that won't drive unless they can believe they can achieve decent result (Rohrl springs to mind). Then there are drivers who simply love what they do and drive just about anything just to get to the stages (Blomqvist being a superb example). Which sort of a driver is Marcus?

I think that much the latter because he did so long privateer career before getting works contract.