Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts

Traction Control: Good News

Nico Rosberg has admitted to changing his mind about the impact of a traction control ban in Formula One, and now thinks it will make the racing much better next year.

"It's going to be exciting," said the Williams driver. "I tried it recently and it was quite shocking actually. In the difficulty sense it is not ideal - and it is going to be a big challenge for everybody."

When asked by autosport.com whether he believes the racing will be better as a result, he said: "Yeah. There'll be more mistakes, more inconsistencies. To this question I said no a few months ago, but since I tried it I will say yes now.

"You look at a track like Hungary, with no traction control, you are going to see mistakes. You are going to have drivers who are going to overdrive in the beginning and have no tyres left towards the end."
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61900
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    I've heard Seb Bourdais mentioning the software engineers can replace TC with engine mapping, which pretty much what happened in the late 1990s.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/...70826-1820.mp3

Obviously with control ECU there are stricter parameters and the FIA can easily monitor software coding but then Windows aren't exactly the most secure software out there is it?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    Arrows,
    I wish I wish I wish, however experience has shown teams will try anything to get round that regulation, (remember Beniton with Brawn and MS), I well remember Senna saying they (Beniton) have it and are using it, he stated "I stood at the corner as MS entered and it was quite obvious to me by the sound of the engine they had tracktion control" he went on to explain, (the engine was popping and stuttering as he entered the braking zone and at the apex of the corner the popping stopped)
    As for me, I truly believe they were using it, in fact I would state my life they were using it, Brawn admitted the car was equipped with it in contravention of the reg's, however Max & Berni did nothing about it!!!!!!!!

And we might remember launch control was banned, however Renault quickly got round that one.

Regards scaliwag
    loloaqici82qb4ip?

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Ban traction control ? You BETCHA !!!

With the massive power to weight... and limited usable rev range... this could get... EXCITING !!

My money's on the Finns !!!

Driving on ICE... teaches car control... in a hurry.

We will see... lift throttle over-steer... watch them spin off the track

Corner apex... Power on over-steer... the drivers will get off & back on the throttle... again & again

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scaliwag
    I wish I wish I wish, however experience has shown teams will try anything to get round that regulation...
    Possibly, and I heard the same comments from Bourdais as wedge which doesn't bode well But hearing Rosberg say "exciting" and "a big challenge" means I'm still hopeful.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Possibly, and I heard the same comments from Bourdais as wedge which doesn't bode well But hearing Rosberg say "exciting" and "a big challenge" means I'm still hopeful.

We'll see what happens. In the mid 90s it was supposedly banned, but you wouldn't see a car wheelspinning at the start.
    You can't make a person love another person. You can only pray for it.

Stupid rules => stupid consequences :s

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tinchote
    We'll see what happens. In the mid 90s it was supposedly banned, but you wouldn't see a car wheelspinning at the start.
    One can always... HOPE...

that the FIA would allow/force... the drivers to DRIVE !!!

Now if Mad Max and his cronies insist that the teams continue using those grooved tires and eliminate all forms of traction control...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I woulnd't get my hopes so high, surely there's something the engineers can/will do to lessen the effects of the lack of TC.

No TC is good but I just don't think it will increase mistakes a lot
    Fan of Timo Glock and proud of it! :champion: 3 podiums, new start as a Virgin :p

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scaliwag
    As for me, I truly believe they were using it, in fact I would state my life they were using it, Brawn admitted the car was equipped with it in contravention of the reg's, however Max & Berni did nothing about it!!!!!!!!
    I think this ought to be clarified. For a start, the FIA did inspect the software on the top three finishers at Imola — a Benetton, Ferrari and McLaren — and launched an investigation into the findings. On the Benetton, there was an option (Option 13) found in a menu which was listed as a launch control. Ross Brawn said in an interview in 2004 that: 'We were then able to demonstrate that there was a broken chain of software; it was impossible to use Option 13... Eventually the FIA said there was no proof that we used Option 13.'

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    I was under teh impression that we were getting standard ECU's for next year. Now if we could only get rid of those auto gear boxes as well, ................
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout