Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question What's with new cars nowadays????

I'm only asking as unfortunately for the second time in a month my own car has had to go back to the shop to have a fault fixed again after it re appeared.

The first time I was given a brand new Corsa CDTi (no idea what engine size) to use and the turbo lag was horrendous (if not dangerous even!!) No acceleration at all below 2000rpm and then it would take off like it had just been fired from a shotgun!!!!

This time around they've given me another new Corsa, but a 1.2 petrol version and it's as flat as a pancake. There's just no life in it at all.

I know neither car has been run in yet, but if i'd bought either of these I would be handing it back.

I'm hoping that these two cars (as short a life as they've had) have just been thrashed (they are courtesy cars after all) but I can't help but wonder if that's what new cars are like now.
    BatRacer: Real racing in 5 minutes :cool:

More points from that last race than the previous 6!!!! Winning is cool :cool:

BatRacer: Edge of your seat stuff. :cool:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    My mum's just bought a petrol 1.2 Corsa. I've told her its bland and boring. She says she don't care she's getting old and its very economical before moaning about having to pay £350 for metalic paint.
    My phone has an alarm clock! Ner Ner! :p

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Not a fan of new cars.

Couple of months back i had a company Fiesta, 56 plate, fantastic handling car, top marks for road grip but for a modern 1.5 TDI......no umph, it cruised happily at an illegal speed around the magical 100 mark but accleration wise, nothing there, like Luffield used the term 'flat as a pancake'. Had a nasty problem that when you pushed the throttle there was about a half second delay on any life at all, not even turbo lag, fuel lag Compared to my private car i had sat on the drive, a 10 year old 306 1.9DTurbo, that FLEW, still regret selling that, it sounded like a tractor but the umph that had, surprised alot of people in their 1.6's and 1.8 petrols....i thought a modern TDI would be similar power.....obviously not...

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Fiesta's come in 1.4TDCi and 1.6TDCi, no 1.5TDi that I'm aware of .

Ford's diesel engines aren't actually made by Ford, they are made by PSA (i.e. Peugeot )
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Must have been a 1.4 then, surely not a 1.6 other than that, top car

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy king
    Not a fan of new cars.

Couple of months back i had a company Fiesta, 56 plate, fantastic handling car, top marks for road grip but for a modern 1.5 TDI......no umph, it cruised happily at an illegal speed around the magical 100 mark but accleration wise, nothing there, like Luffield used the term 'flat as a pancake'. Had a nasty problem that when you pushed the throttle there was about a half second delay on any life at all, not even turbo lag, fuel lag Compared to my private car i had sat on the drive, a 10 year old 306 1.9DTurbo, that FLEW, still regret selling that, it sounded like a tractor but the umph that had, surprised alot of people in their 1.6's and 1.8 petrols....i thought a modern TDI would be similar power.....obviously not...
    The old PSA 1.9 turbo diesel (the one in your 306) which I have in my 406 is a lively engine. I'm told the newer 406's with the 2l HDI engines are faster but smoother and you don't get the lump of torque that the older engine would give all in one go. It's smoother and doesn't feel like it's working as hard. Irritating thing is that in 5th it only really starts to come on when you're doing about 75 or 80 or so
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    The trouble with new cars is they are getting too advanced for their own good. When you make a complicated product like a motorcar in the fastest and cheapest possible way, they get worse and worse. The more electronics and mechanics that are crammed into it, the more that can go wrong

Gone are the days of fixing your car on the side of the road with a Coke can and a piece of wire. You now need diagnostic machines or laptop computers etc etc
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There is no replacement for displacement. If you want more power, get a bigger engine. Trying to get economy and power on demand from a small engine requires higher technology and puts a huge dent in reliability.

Yeah, your little 1.whatever will get right lively when the turbo spools up but when it pukes it's little blower out you'd better have some serious money stashed away to fix it. Been there, done that. Car didn't run worth a damn without that turbo. A decent v-6 or v-8 can deliver decent mileage if driven sensibly and when additional power is needed, those engines can deliver it without straining themselves.
    If legislation makes you equal, you aren't.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiero 5.7
    There is no replacement for displacement. If you want more power, get a bigger engine. Trying to get economy and power on demand from a small engine requires higher technology and puts a huge dent in reliability.

Yeah, your little 1.whatever will get right lively when the turbo spools up but when it pukes it's little blower out you'd better have some serious money stashed away to fix it. Been there, done that. Car didn't run worth a damn without that turbo. A decent v-6 or v-8 can deliver decent mileage if driven sensibly and when additional power is needed, those engines can deliver it without straining themselves.
    I'd disagree Caroline's Subaru Legacy Turbo is 13 years old and has 180,000 miles on the clock and runs very well and can outpace bigger engined cars quite easily due to the fact it's not lugging a big v8 around. Exchange turbo only costs £400 or so and a second hand one is about £130
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    I'd disagree Caroline's Subaru Legacy Turbo is 13 years old and has 180,000 miles on the clock and runs very well and can outpace bigger engined cars quite easily due to the fact it's not lugging a big v8 around. Exchange turbo only costs £400 or so and a second hand one is about £130
    They both have their uses. In my Nissan Titan, I can haul in comfort, 5 adults with the ac blowing full tilt boogey, up and down the mountains of Arkansas, towing a 4500 pound boat and that v-8 isn't even working hard.
    If legislation makes you equal, you aren't.