Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Who will drive at McLaren next year?

"This town ain't big enough for the two of us."

I know there are several posts in the different threads alluding to this question, but surely everyone must be wondering if the two current drivers can remain in this dysfunctional, albeit fast team.

During this whole debacle, Ron Dennis has severely embarrased himself by blaming Lewis Hamilton publicly for the debacle, although his behaviour immediately after Q3 frog marching Alonso's boyfriend from the pit lane suggests otherwise. Then Ron comes with a convoluted spin to the FIA who promptly tells him they don't believe (his lies) him, and they throw him out of points earned during the race and bans him from the podium ceremony. Now all this has damaged not only the McLaren brand but also the Mercedes brand. To make it worse, the exchange of words between Lewis Hamilton and Ron Dennis has become a big joke in discussion forums. All this coming from the ongoing embarrasment of Trudygate (Stepnygate/Coughlangate).

Can the two drivers show enough respect for each other to compete for the rest of the year without fighting against each other? let alone another season? and will they refrain from running each other off the track?

And who will depart if one of them does?
    Lewis Hamilton has McLaren in his blood, so Ron claims, but he is paying Lewis peanuts compared with Alonso. Alonso won't even speak to Ron, but converses through his boyfriend. I am sure there are other teams which will gladly have Lewis Hamilton in their team with a hefty payrise, and possibly most will also be happy to have Alonso talents if not his tantrums. Maybe Flav might want him back.
    So what do you guys think?
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Valve Bounce
    [b]...marching Alonso's boyfriend from the pit lane...
    very mature...

Unless RD manages to put both drivers ego lower, I'm seeing Alonso back at Renault next year unfortunately
    Fan of Timo Glock and proud of it! :champion: 3 podiums, new start as a Virgin :p

Liked 1,090 Times in 607 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jso1985
    very mature...

Unless RD manages to put both drivers ego lower, I'm seeing Alonso back at Renault next year unfortunately
    Yeah, I feel the same way. I wonder if Alonso is thinking he should go back to the comfortability of Renault....
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
    There might not be a place for Alonso at Renault. Assuming they would take him back, and I'm thinking they probably would, do they have a spot for him? There are reports that Piquet Jnr has signed a deal for a 2008 race drive with Renault so if Alonso were to return it would mean either dumping Kovalainen or dumping Piquet before he even had a chance to race the car.

I don't think Ferrari or BMW are an option which leaves the midfield teams and I doubt that Alonso would be happy with a Toyota or Williams drive.

So whilst I think that McLaren could easily find a replacement for Alonso, I don't think it will be that easy for Alonso to find a replacement for McLaren.
    Forza Ferrari!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think Renault would love to have Alonso back. There's not a doubt in my mind they are being polite to Fisi in their press statements, but believe their car and their team would be doing much better if Alonso was driving one of the cars.
    If legislation makes you equal, you aren't.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    With the current situation, although there are arguments in favour of both drivers departing the team, I would say that the one most likely to leave is LH. After all, any team would offer him way more money than he is currently making. He won't settle for a midfield team, but there could still be a spot in Ferrari for him, or even BMW. Stranger things have happened in F1.
    You can't make a person love another person. You can only pray for it.

Stupid rules => stupid consequences :s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hamilton and Button, all english team...

Alonso back to Renault to drive with Heikki. Hamilton is quicker than Alonso and will only get better. Alonsos ego is so big that he cant handle a faster team-mate. And he goes back to peaceful Renault only to find out that all the time improving Heikki will be supertough to beat next year.

RD dont let Hamilton go, he wants his own prodigy to become english Schumacher and will forgive LH because he is young and will hopefully learn some respect.
    - Sinun paras ottaa sanomalehti mukaan, sillä kärjessä tulee olemaan tylsää.
    Red Bull -tallin Mark Webber vihjasi Kimi Räikköselle ennen Australian GP:tä. 19.3.2007.

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

There is hope, with Dr Phil

I just watched Dr Phil today and I think there lies the answer for McLaren. Ron Dennis, Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton should seek the counselling and help of Dr Phil, and maybe Fernando should bring along his massager for good measure. I am sure Dr Phil could give some very good advice, counselling and help to all of them and bring them together for a group hug.

That would be the best way forward for the rest of this year, and if it works, then why not for next year also!

I don't see any other way forward for this lot.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    The whole image of McLaren can't be measured solely by the debacle espionage case that remains unknown which is which to be at fault and right. For the long season backwards they have conservatively built image that every driver has the same chance on winning as long as having performance they are convinced with, and that conservative strategy might have hampered team from getting any better result in the championship.

Actually the key man is Alonso himself, It doesn't mean he has to go somewhere else, there is not any team which totally comfortable to stay at. Although it isn't easy, try to manage the ego, read reality in wider eyes and enjoy the race in high spirit that the title is widely open, is the best solution to prevent him from doing any maneuver may prompt the team in disadvantageous.

In the event the Ferrari's door opens, I may suggest him to go there, BMW is secondary option. Driving in teams other than it may put him in the stage where he has to struggle more. I doubt RD will let LH goes elsewhere, he invested him since he was 6, IIRC and CMIIW.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valve Bounce
    I just watched Dr Phil today and I think there lies the answer for McLaren. Ron Dennis, Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton should seek the counselling and help of Dr Phil, and maybe Fernando should bring along his massager for good measure. I am sure Dr Phil could give some very good advice, counselling and help to all of them and bring them together for a group hug.

That would be the best way forward for the rest of this year, and if it works, then why not for next year also!

I don't see any other way forward for this lot.
    Maybe Dr. Phil can settle the Ferrari/McLaren spat, too, while he's at it!
    "You can mop the blood up later." - R.A. Lafferty