Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

British Journalist Freed

At some ungodly hour this morning I heard the news on BBC World Service that Alan Johnston had been freed by his captors in Gaza after almost 2 months of captivity in the most austere not to mention terrifying conditions.
    When I switched on the rolling TV news I was immediately struck by the composed almost matter of fact demeanour of this rather unremarkable looking man who could quite easily be a provincial bank manager much less a fearless foreign correspondent who has lived and worked in some of the most forbidding trouble spots in the war torn Middle East.
    As he emerged blinking into the light after months chained in the darkness and was met with a barrage of flashbulbs and clamouring media he looked for all the world as if he had emerged from nothing more daunting than a few light ales in a Fleet Street hostelry.
    He clearly possesses an inner strength of mind that few of us could even aspire to.
    In short Alan is a credit to his family, his country and his oft maligned (particularly by me) profession.
    Lastly a word of thanks to the Hamas leaders who have put enormous pressure on the kidnappers to release Alan.
    Whether there motives be borne from compassionate altruism or political expediency it matters not. The result is a joyous one.
    Lets hope that Alan's captivity has left no serious pyschological scars on this courageous individual and that any forthcoming autobiography reaps him rich rewards.
    By Christ no one deserves it more,

On a personal note. Al. The next time you are taken hostage by a gang of murderous jihadists could you wait until the Shipping Forecast is over before stepping once more into the media glare.
    Cheers mate
    Oh golly Oh gosh Had a lie on the couch with a nice bit o' posh from Burnham-On-Crouch:mad:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's hard to tell sometimes, Mr Oaf, whether or not you're being sincere...
    Give Leon a kick and tell him to get to work!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oily oaf
    When I switched on the rolling TV news I was immediately struck by the composed almost matter of fact demeanour of this rather unremarkable looking man who could quite easily be a provincial bank manager much less a fearless foreign correspondent who has lived and worked in some of the most forbidding trouble spots in the war torn Middle East.
    He's just been speaking to Sky News for the past 20 minutes, or so, and came across as remarkably composed. As unbelievable as it may seem under the circumstances, Mr Johnston even displayed a sense of humour when asked whether he'd be returning to his role in Gaza, stating: "I think three years in Gaza AND a kidnapping is more than enough for anyone."

Whether there motives be borne from compassionate altruism or political expediency it matters not. The result is a joyous one.
    This point was put to Alan during the interview, and he responded that Hamas have at least made a degree of progress in restoring law and order, which will in turn make things safer for foreign visitors.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonBrooke
    It's hard to tell sometimes, Mr Oaf, whether or not you're being sincere...
    Never more so my little Kiwi Fruit.

In fact my admiration for Johnstone is growing with every passing hour as he gives interview upon interview to various media organisations conducting himself with incredible stoicism, verbosity and even a sprinkling of dry humour.
    When he was asked by a Sky TV journo whether he planned to return to Gaza at some point he laughed politely and retorted that three years living there combined with 114 days of captivity was enough Gaza to be getting on with for the time being.
    I think a BBC colleague put it rather well when he pointed to the monitors as Alan gave yet another account of his ordeal and said "Look at him! Look at him! That's after 114 days! He's a bloody superman!
    Quite.

PS Leon mate. You wouldn't happen to know the wind speed and direction coupled with visibility in Malin Head, Cromarty and Biscay by any chance?
    (picks up notebook, licks tip of pencil and waits)
    Oh golly Oh gosh Had a lie on the couch with a nice bit o' posh from Burnham-On-Crouch:mad:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hehehehe Scott. You beat me to the punch by seconds with the humourous anecdote.
    Damn your eyes sirrah

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Such good news

I do wonder if the result would have been the same without Hamas pressure on the captors......
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Eeesh, the BBC campaigns tirelessly for his release and he goes and talks to Sky News
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm really happy he's out, isn't it good to wake up to good news for a change? I really feared the worst for him after they released those pics of him wearing what looked like an explosives belt.

No doubt the coming months will be difficult for him as he comes to terms with everything, but of course for now all he can feel is joyous relief.

I wish him all the very best
    I am a brave, brave WOMAN :D

Liked 578 Times in 210 Posts
    Good stuff
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Don't know how I haven't managed to catch this on the news today! But that's great news... I really didn't have much hope of seeing him freed... I'm very pleased for him and his family.
    Everyone Loves a Slinky. :)