Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eki
    That must be a British phenomena. I haven't seen much attention to ginger people here in Finland. Not that (naturally) ginger are that common here.
    Same here in Sweden. My brother has ginger hair, he hasn't had any trouble here in Sweden, only a little when we lived in.... England. I have a few friends that have ginger hair and they don't get any trouble at all.
    Forza Ferrari!
    Michael Schumacher the best F1 driver ever

Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    I don't think calling someone a 'black *******' is acceptable under any circumstances, joking or not. I would certainly never say it, and I don't think that in doing so I'm harming freedom of speech or being 'politically correct', whatever that means.
    Why is that? Is it the ******* part or the black part? I'm curious about this because I would have thought that questioning the integrity of a person's mother is worse than stating the obvious, ie. that their skin is a certain colour.

If you look at the statement itself, "black *******", you have one part fact, the person in question is black, and one part conjecture, that the person's mother had dubious moral standards. Yet it seems to be the statement of fact that causes all the problems.

Now, ofcourse, the context in which the phase is said is important. Perhaps even more important than the actual phrase itself. That being the case, wouldn't it be better to call someone a black ******* with humour and no malice, than it would be to call someone a ******* with malicious intent?
    Forza Ferrari!!

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    I have a ginger friend and I regularly insult him over his hair.

But he knows I'm joking

But who come some kind of prejudice remarks seen as 'okay' and other such as racism totally unacceptable.

I used to be insulted over a mole I have on my chin by a prepubescent **** at the bus stop. ( In the style shown in the Austin Powers films) This didn't stop until I asked the child if he wanted to lick it. Now he doesn't even look at it
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
    Why is that? Is it the ******* part or the black part? I'm curious about this because I would have thought that questioning the integrity of a person's mother is worse than stating the obvious, ie. that their skin is a certain colour.

If you look at the statement itself, "black *******", you have one part fact, the person in question is black, and one part conjecture, that the person's mother had dubious moral standards. Yet it seems to be the statement of fact that causes all the problems.

Now, ofcourse, the context in which the phase is said is important. Perhaps even more important than the actual phrase itself. That being the case, wouldn't it be better to call someone a black ******* with humour and no malice, than it would be to call someone a ******* with malicious intent?
    Thankyou for saying what I was trying to say! I agree.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Things would probably have been a bit different for the guy if he wasn't a sex-crazed maniac.

9 kids, he must be Catholic
    Rabbits don't eat engine blocks.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Must be a British thing to abuse people because of red hair. Never heard of it over here. Hell, the only stereotype I have heard towards red hair is that some believe red headed women are more promisicious and aware of their sexual being. That is a stereotype that maybe some wouldn't want, but I always loved redheads. I now hope that stereotype doesn't hold though, because my 12 year old daughter has RED hair!!!!!
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown, Jon Brow
    I have a ginger friend and I regularly insult him over his hair.

But he knows I'm joking

Being a redhead (though more brownish now) I've happily taken jokes from friends all my life. They're funny.
    However, when some complete stranger starts thinking they can join in the jokes, or start them, it's unpleasant. I'm not easily intimidated but can see how some people would be considering the utter nastiness I've had thrown my way over a simple hair colour.

It's bullying. Sadly it's also in a way an 'ism' because everyone can see you've got ginger hair while in normal bullying not everyone you pass in life can see what another person would bully you for. Race is like that, there for all to see and pick on if they wish. Pathetic.
    "The Jaguar's going cheap"
    "Shouldn't it be purring?" :confused: