Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Fred Vasseur: Ferrari has ‘reopened’ case of who pays for Las Vegas.
    Ferrari picked up severe damage to one of their cars in Las Vegas, due to the track not being ready for cars to run.
    19 Dec 2023 1:45 PM
    Thomas Maher
    PlanetF1.com

With Ferrari incurring huge costs due to the damage – a particularly bad thing to happen in the era of strict budget caps that also account for the development of the 2024 car – Fred Vasseur confirmed Ferrari has put in a claim with the insurance company for the Las Vegas Grand Prix.

“No, no,” he told media at a Ferrari Christmas lunch when asked if he had answers over who was footing the bill for the damage to Sainz’s car. “You know that, when you open the discussion with the insurance, it’s ages! It’s true everywhere, including in F1. We will have the time to have the discussion, we reopened the case yesterday or the day before. But it would be fair!”

‘Ferrari picked up severe damage’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/ferrar...as-vegas-crash

Vasseur addresses 'number one driver' claims at Ferrari F1 team
    22 December 9:50AM
    Author Fergal Walsh
    Co-author Aaron Deckers
    RacingNews365

Despite Leclerc being at the team longer and having a better record in the head-to-head battle, Vasseur believes that Sainz's victory in Singapore earlier this year showcases the squad's focus on equal treatment.

“We showed this season that we have more than equal treatment between the drivers,” Vasseur told media including RacingNews365. “I remember perfectly that one year ago in the same room, I had tons of questions about Charles number one and Carlos number two and 'blah blah blah'.”

“We showed on some occasions, I think Singapore was the best example, when Charles agreed to start with Soft [tyres] to jump [George] Russell and block Russell. When we asked Charles to slow down Russell, he did it. It meant that they did a very good job together.”

'Number one driver claims’;

https://racingnews365.com/vasseur-ad...errari-f1-team

'Will the real number one driver at Ferrari please stand up?'
    22 December 8:00PM
    Author Jesse Janse
    RacingNews365

Former F1 driver Christian Klien looks back on the 2023 season with RacingNews365. How does he think Vasseur did during his first season at the helm in Maranello? "A good question," he laughs. "He has integrated himself well within the team. It takes time."

"Personally, I think highly of Fred. I like him as a person and he now has the chance to really change things at Ferrari. It takes time. Everything is running just a little smoother this year.

"A little less chaos in terms of strategy, except for maybe Abu Dhabi. Things are a little calmer inside Ferrari. The question now is how to take the next step and how to develop a faster car, so that they don't have problems with tire wear during the races and don't have to push the car too much anymore."

"A little less chaos”;

https://racingnews365.com/will-the-r...lease-stand-up

End of year ‘big chaos’ disrupted Ferrari driver contract talks
    22/12/2023 at 08:23
    Phillip van Osten
    F1i.com

Vasseur has now clarified that the intense and "very demanding" concluding stages of the 2023 F1 season forced the Scuderia to temporarily shelve discussions with its drivers.

“They are under contract with us until the end of 2024. It means that we have still 13 months in front of us,” Vasseur told the media last week in Maranello. It's quite comfortable. We have still a lot of weeks and months in front of us.”

“I told [the press] that I will try to take a decision before the end of the year. I have to admit that the last part of the season was a big chaos for everybody. I think that it was very demanding.”

‘End of year big chaos’;

https://f1i.com/news/496880-end-of-y...act-talks.html

Ferrari F1 contract talks delayed as Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz plans become clear
    Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz both have just 12 months remaining on their respective Ferrari deals and the rumour mill suggests one of them is in line for a longer extension than the other
    17:44 Wed, 20 Dec 2023.
    By Daniel Moxon Senior F1 Writer
    The Mirror

"We had meetings and we started the discussion, but we are late compared to the initial plan. But it's not an issue at all. We are much in advance compared to Mercedes [who announced a new contract for Lewis Hamilton in late August this year]. We are easy on this and will take the decision soon."

It remains to be seen for how long the team hopes to tie its drivers down for. A recent report from Italy claimed a new five-year deal is on the cards for Leclerc while Sainz may only be offered a one-year extension.

But there have been conflicting reports on that front. In all likelihood, though, it is Leclerc who is probably going to win a longer deal than his team-mate with the team keen to keep one of its seats relatively open in case it looks as though Lando Norris will become available when his current McLaren contract ends in 2025.

‘Meetings and we started the discussion’;

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formu...sainz-31720334

Vasseur defends Ferrari F1 strategy calls in 2023
    19 December 1:25PM
    Author Fergal Walsh
    Co-author Aaron Deckers
    RacingNews365

Ferrari Team Principal Frederic Vasseur has defended his squad's strategy calls throughout the 2023 Formula 1 season. Vasseur highlighted that Ferrari is constantly vying to improve its pit wall operation as he pointed to the Austin race as an example of a mistake slipping through.

“We always have to improve and always try to do a better job,” he told media including RacingNews365. “I think honestly, this season, the strategy went very well. You can discuss Austin, for example, when Charles did one stop. But it was more [about] the choice on the tyres than something else.”

‘Ferrari F1 strategy calls’;

https://racingnews365.com/vasseur-de...-calls-in-2023

Christian Horner admits ‘biggest challenge’ he’ll ever face in F1 is now on the horizon.
    Christian Horner has admitted that he faces his biggest challenge yet at Red Bull in 2026.
    Tue 12 December 2023 08:30
    Updated Tue 12 December 2023 09:30
    Ben Evans
    F1 Oversteer

Red Bull Racing team principal Christian Horner has admitted he still hasn’t faced the biggest challenge in his Formula 1 career yet. Horner was speaking on the Sky Sports F1 Podcast and it’s clear the 50-year-old knows that despite his team’s domination this year, nothing lasts forever in F1.

Speaking about what his long-term ambitions are, Horner said: “Well a long time in Formula 1 is about two weeks and I’ve had offers come in the past to get involved in other sports, in other entities but at heart, I’m a racer and I love what I do and I have a commitment and responsibility for the team having been there since the beginning.”

The challenge of developing a Red Bull power train is going to have to be a huge focus for Horner over the next couple of years. “So, it still motivates me to get out of bed every day and I’m excited every day that I go to work. The challenge of developing a Red Bull power train is going to have to be a huge focus for Horner over the next couple of years.”

‘Biggest challenge on the horizon’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/chr...n-the-horizon/

Christian Horner admits Red Bull's F1 2024 car problem after Max Verstappen warning
    Max Verstappen and his Red Bull team romped to an unprecedented level of F1 success in 2023, but both he and team boss Christian Horner admit it's unlikely to happen again
    12:46 Fri, 22 Dec 2023
    The Mirror

The long-serving team principal says he has already seen signs of that happening. "I'm fully expecting - with stable regs and diminishing returns for us because I think we got to the top of the curve quicker than others - the field is going to converge," Horner said.

"There's always a reset as you go into the following year, and I'm convinced that you'll see a lot more cars that perhaps look like an RB19 philosophy. If you stand still in this business, you tend to be going backwards. And I think that we have got up that curve quicker than others. But we're into a law of diminishing returns."

His words support what Verstappen has already predicted about the 2024 campaign. While Red Bull were virtually untouchable for the vast majority of this year, the Dutchman has no doubt that his rivals will be putting him under more pressure next term.

‘Red Bull's F1 2024 car problem’;

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formu...orner-31733973

Christian Horner now shares what ‘hasn’t helped’ development of 2024 Red Bull F1 car
    Sun 17 December 2023 18:00
    Ben Evans
    F1 Oversteer

Red Bull Racing team principal Christian Horner has shared what has made the development of their 2024 car really difficult this winter. Horner was speaking to PlanetF1 and reflecting on an incredible 2023 season and then turning his attention to next year.

Horner has previously suggested that the team now face dealing with diminishing returns when trying to improve their going forward. The genius of Adrian Newey means that Red Bull’s car is approaching perfection in terms of the current regulations.

It wouldn’t be a surprise if Red Bull are already thinking about the next set of major regulation changes in 2026, but there are still two titles to compete for before then. Max Verstappen won’t let Red Bull rest as he tries to add championship numbers four and five to his collection.

‘Development of their 2024 car really difficult this winter’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/chr...d-bull-f1-car/

Red Bull reveal weight loss key to Verstappen 2023 F1 dominance
    Red Bull boss Christian Horner has revealed the RB19 was so dominant due to weight saving
    06:18 Wed, 20 Dec 2023.
    by Ian Parkes
    Speedcafe

Explaining why the RB19 was so dominant, speaking to selected media, including Speedcafe, Horner said: “What you have to remember is that with 19, there were a large amount of components that came from the 18, so gearbox, a large percentage of the suspension, half of the chassis. It was effectively a cut-and-shut for this year.”

“The most significant thing that we were able to address was the weight because we were so late going on to the new regs in ’21, because of that championship battle, that the car in ’22 was a bit on the chunky side. So, we managed to get 20 kilos out of the car coming into this year and tidy up some of the imperfections.”

“But there were a great many carryover parts. Some of the components have won, in Max’s case, 19 races this year and 15 last year, so the combination of the two – 34 races.”

‘RB19 was so dominant due to weight saving’;

https://speedcafe.com/red-bull-revea...-f1-dominance/

Horner reveals secret to Red Bull success: We've hit a different level
    23 December 5:40PM
    Author Rory Mitchell
    Co-author Aaron Deckers
    RacingNews365

Red Bull Team Principal Christian Horner has praised the work done by the outfit behind the scenes, after a dominant year in Formula 1. While Adrian Newey thought they would have a tough season, Horner believes the work done behind the scenes enabled them to achieve an unprecedented run of victories and break records.

"The standard that we've been able to hit, to win 21 out of 22 races, to have led with Max over 1,000 laps out of 1,300, to broken so many records," Horner told media, including RacingNews365. "Max has hit yet another level. But I think the way that the team has operated across 22 different circuits, operationally, reliability wise, performance wise, everybody's done their part.”

"All the men and women behind the scenes, back in Milton Keynes, all the operational staff, everybody has done their bit and contributed to what we've seen in what will surely go down as one of the or certainly currently the most dominant season's ever seen in Formula 1."

‘We've hit a different level’;

https://racingnews365.com/horner-rev...ifferent-level

Start date for new Red Bull wind tunnel construction confirmed by Christian Horner
    21 Dec 2023 12:30 PM
    Sam Cooper
    PlanetF1.com

Red Bull currently use an old RAF site in Bedford, 20 miles away from their HQ, but with it being originally built shortly after World War II, it is significantly outdated and the team have been keen to build their own.

Horner’s team will again have the smallest wind tunnel allocation in 2024 but unlike this year, they are free from further penalties as a result of coming under the cost cap. But with minimal time compared to their rivals, Horner said they have to be smart with how they use their allocation.

“And particularly with the wind tunnel that we have, which is a Cold War relic, and not particularly efficient, particularly in cold weather – which you tend to get a bit of in the UK – we have to be very, very selective. That’s where the team have done brilliantly well of really being selective of where we channel our development.”

‘Red Bull wind tunnel construction’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/start-...l-construction

Red Bull being ganged up on as second F1 team calls for FIA to police 'strange' situation.
    Ferrari have become the second team to raise concerns about Red Bull and AlphaTauri's partnership after Prancing Horses chief Fred Vasseur called for the FIA to "police" what the reigning F1 champions are doing with their sister team.
    20:34, Fri, Dec 22, 2023
    By George Glinski
    Daily and Sunday Express

Vasseur remains confident that the FIA will manage the co-ownership appropriately but admits he finds the situation very "strange". “I think we have to police what the teams are doing with their junior teams, which maybe isn’t the right word,” Vasseur said last week. “For me, it is not the right way because, for me, Toro Rosso, AlphaTauri – or Minardi, I don’t know what is the next one! It’s true what they are doing together [with Red Bull] is a strange situation with two teams owned by the same company.

“But the FIA has been able to manage it so far – and I am sure they will be able to in future.” This comes after McLaren boss Zak Brown called for a ban on common ownership of F1 teams in an indirect attack on Red Bull. In an open letter, Brown wrote: "We should prioritise some of those rules that currently impact the impartiality between competitors. For example, most other major sports prohibit the ownership of two teams within the same league because of the obvious potential damage that it does to competition.

‘Red Bull being ganged up on’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...ari-McLaren-F1

Horner: Red Bull-AlphaTauri F1 alliance won’t repeat ‘Pink Mercedes’ saga
    09:08 Thu, 14 Dec 2023.
    by Taylor Powling
    Motorsport Week

Red Bull Formula 1 boss Christian Horner has denied that the team’s closer association with AlphaTauri will open up a case similar to the “Pink Mercedes” dispute in 2020.

AlphaTauri’s late development push that saw it almost snatch seventh in the championship has prompted concerns from rival sides, resulting in the FIA clarifying that it intends to provide updated guidance to ensure that collaboration between F1 teams doesn’t contravene the sport’s regulations.

The ties between the two Red Bull-owned teams have drawn some comparisons to the saga that involved Racing Point’s RP20 car resembling the title-winning Mercedes W10. Following protests, the Silverstone squad was hit with a 15-point deduction and a €400,000 fine after being found guilty of breaking IP rules with its rear brake ducts.

‘Won’t repeat ‘Pink Mercedes’ saga’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/?p=142122

Fred Vasseur backs Zak Brown’s Red Bull/AlphaTauri criticism – F1 news roundup
    22 Dec 2023 10:00 PM
    Sam Cooper
    PlanetF1.com

If you thought F1 had settled down for the winter, think again after an open letter from Zak Brown caused a stir. The McLaren CEO highlighted the relationship between Red Bull and AlphaTauri and suggested the FIA should look at such a dynamic. Well Brown is not the only who seemingly has an issue with this…

‘F1 news roundup’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/fred-v...i-criticism-f1

Christian Horner clarifies AlphaTauri role as second Red Bull team faces fresh overhaul
    12 Dec 2023 6:30 PM
    Jamie Woodhouse
    PlanetF1.com

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner said AlphaTauri are considered their “customer team”, detailing what that means for their drivers Daniel Ricciardo and Yuki Tsunoda.

“AlphaTauri is owned by the same shareholders as Red Bull Racing, but of course, the way that they operate is independent from Red Bull Racing, but they take benefit of the parts that are allowed to be transferred, like the gearbox and the suspension and so on, in the same way that Williams and Aston Martin have done so with with Mercedes or Haas with Ferrari.”

“They’re based in Italy, but they have a new management coming in, Peter Bayer as CEO and Laurent Mekies as team principal and they’re both competitive guys, they both want to compete to move the team forward. And so it has a new drive behind it and essentially, they’re a customer of Red Bull Racing.”

‘AlphaTauri are considered their “customer team”’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/christ...-red-bull-role

FIA Plays Down Red Bull-Alpha Tauri Clone Rumours

12:17 Thu, 07 Dec 2023.
    GrandPrix.com

After a decision was made to create more 'synergy' between Red Bull Racing and Alpha Tauri, Auto Motor und Sport believes the latter became the most prevalent team on the grid in terms of aggressive car development in the second half of the year.

But Nikolas Tombazis, the FIA's single seater director, insists the governing body is not overly concerned about the Alpha Tauri becoming a Red Bull clone. “We vet teams that are in close proximity to each other much more closely than completely independent teams to make sure something like this doesn't happen”, he told motorsport-total.com.

Tombazis admits that Alpha Tauri took a clear step forward in the latter stages of 2023, “but I don't think this is due to collaboration. It's not just a problem between these two teams, but also between other pairs of teams, he adds. We believe Alpha Tauri has very different aerodynamic solutions than the other team.”

‘Nikolas Tombazis, the FIA's single seater director, not overly concerned’;

https://www.grandprix.com/news/fia-p...e-rumours.html

McLaren give glimpse into F1 2024 progress after Lando Norris tease.
    McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown has vowed to push Red Bull, Mercedes and Ferrari “even harder” in F1 2024, the team working “around the clock” to make that happen.
    24 Dec 2023 11:30 AM
    Mark Scott
    PlanetF1.com

“As we work around the clock on our 2024 challenger, we intend to build on this year’s progress and push our rivals even harder next year,” Brown said. “We face a formidable challenge next season in continuing to close the gap to the front.”

“All teams are locked in a quest for car development and greater pace that is just as fierce off the track as it is on it, but our team will rise to the challenge with its usual determination and relentless dedication.”

“Mercedes, Ferrari and Aston Martin didn’t make it easy for us, but we pushed at every race on each and every lap, resulting in a thrilling finish where the final positions in the FIA Formula 1 Constructors’ World Championship were only decided at the 23rd — and last round — of the season. Never before have five different teams scored seven podiums in the same season, which just goes to underscore the competitive nature of the grid this year.”

‘Vowed to push Red Bull, Mercedes and Ferrari “even harder” in F1 2024’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mclare...o-norris-tease

Brown insists it will take McLaren until 2025 to 'maximise everything' after new hires and wind tunnel investment
    22 December 2023
    Formula One - Official Site

McLaren CEO Zak Brown believes the team won’t feel the full effects of their new hires and investment into their wind tunnel until 2025. “We have everything we need but we need a little bit more time,” he said. “The upgrades were not done with some of our latest technology.”

“We’re now in our wind tunnel, we have our new simulator, our new manufacturing unit, so that’s quite exciting for us because we haven’t yet benefitted from those. We’ve got great people back at McLaren but we do have a couple of big hires that start in early January that I think will be additive – but, of course, our 2024 car is already started.”

“So, I think we’ll have everything in place come January but not everything… ‘24’s already started, so I think it’ll be ’25 before we’ve fully maximised everything.”

‘2025 to maximise everything'

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...T4LIqhyiV.html

McLaren plan revealed to ‘get ahead’ on Lando Norris-Oscar Piastri tension
    23 Dec 2023 7:45 AM
    Sam Cooper
    PlanetF1.com

Zak Brown is confident that between himself and Andrea Stella, they can navigate any potential issue between Lando Norris and Oscar Piastri in future. The two drivers came together for the first time in 2023 as Piastri switched over from Alpine and so far, everything seems rosy with both drivers supporting each other.

McLaren CEO Brown however was confident the team could keep it under control. “Not a concern, there’s an awareness that any time you have two drivers that one is going to have to beat the other at some weekends,” Brown said, as per Motorsport.com. “They’re super competitive right now, you feel a real energy around them driving for the team.”

“We know there will be a day, probably sooner rather than later, when they’re looking after their own interests. I feel Andrea’s and my strengths are around driver management, so I think we can get ahead of that and manage it to make sure it stays a healthy competitiveness.”

‘Feel a real energy around them’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/zak-br...iastri-tension

McLaren chief credits turnaround to one 'outstanding' figure
    Sunday 24 December 2023 11:57
    Cal Gaunt
    GPFans

Reflecting on McLaren's 2023 Formula 1 season, CEO Zak Brown has credited team principal Andrea Stella with turning around the team's fortunes. “Going into 2023, our aim was to be a regular podium contender and finish no worse than fourth overall," Brown said.

"Although we managed to achieve that goal, the reality is we have been a blend of going from the ninth quickest team to arguably the second-fastest come the end of the year. A lot of credit for our upswing in performance must go to Andrea Stella’s team and their collective leadership in orchestrating such a phenomenal turnaround.”

“Andrea has done an outstanding job, not only in the culture he has created at McLaren, but in the way he has empowered people. He’s a very determined and inspirational leader.”

‘Credited team principal Andrea Stella’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...astri-f1-2023/

'McLaren turnaround has prevented uncomfortable Norris questions'
    23 December 5:00AM
    Author Jake Nichol
    RacingNews365

Problems at the start of the season. That winning itch was not about to be scratched when the MCL60 was unveiled in February with the team openly admitting that targets had been missed and a floor upgrade in Azerbaijan would be key to turning the car around.

Technical director James Key fell on his sword as McLaren started the season slowly as a midfield also-ran with just 17 points after eight races between Norris and rookie Oscar Piastri. Hardly a way to try and convince your star driver that it might be worth sticking around beyond your contract in 2025 when the likes of Mercedes and Red Bull might have Hamilton and Verstappen-sized holes to fill.

But, in Austria and Singapore, two big upgrade packages were added to the MCL60 that transformed it into a competitive beast and vaulted the car to second fastest behind Red Bull's RB19. Much is often made of teams bringing upgrade packages that turn out to be over-hyped and don't bring the expected levels of performance - but what McLaren promised, it delivered.

‘Two big upgrade packages’;

https://racingnews365.com/mclaren-tu...rris-questions

Lawrence Stroll issues vehement response to Aston Martin quit talk.
    “You don’t go spending hundreds of millions of pounds, building the greatest new Formula 1 campus, if you’re about to leave the business, and you don’t go hiring another 400 of the greatest employees if you’re about to leave the business.” Lawrence Stroll.
    06:48 Sat, 16 Dec 2023.
    by Ian Parkes
    Speedcafe

Lawrence Stroll has issued a defiant response to recent speculation he could sell up and quit Aston Martin. “I don’t know where that speculation came from,” said Stroll, speaking in an interview with The New York Times. “I’ve read it in one or two publications recently.”

“I’ve proven through my commitment, and it could not be any further from the truth, that I have any interest in ever not being the majority shareholder of this team for a very, very, very, very long time, and it is the same with the road car company. I plan to run these businesses for many, many years. I’m at the beginning of the journey on both.”

‘Vehement response’;

https://speedcafe.com/lawrence-strol...tin-quit-talk/

Stroll rubbishes speculation over Aston Martin future
    09:13 Mon, 18 Dec 2023.
    NEWS STORY
    Pitpass

Lawrence Stroll has hit out at speculation that he is to 'part company' with Aston Martin. Despite the ongoing development of the team and its facilities, speculation over Stroll's future with Aston Martin came into doubt last month after it was announced that private investment firm Arctos Partners was investing in the Silverstone-based outfit.

Lawrence Stroll: "I'm not getting any younger. I feel younger, but I'm not getting any younger. But I'm not going anywhere. It made great sense to take them as a minority partner for what they bring to the business," he says of Arctos. "They add value, and particularly in America with all their investments with their other sports teams.”

"There has to be some financial synergies and commercial opportunities that we could do together through sponsorship, marketing, etcetera. So that was the motivation for letting them buy a minority stake. Great reputation, American-based, super people who are very aligned with my vision of a very long-term future."

‘Stroll rubbishes speculation’;

https://www.pitpass.com/76866/Stroll...-Martin-future

Fernando Alonso’s intriguing F1 2024 claim could spark more Aston Martin success
    24 Dec 2023 7:45 AM
    Oliver Harden
    PlanetF1.com

With Aston Martin’s 2023 car set to form the basis of the 2024 design, Alonso is excited about chasing more success next season – and he believes that his ever-growing experience with the team will allow them to get straight down to business in 2024. He said: “This being my second year with the team will help.”

“I don’t need to do many of the things I had to do at the start of this year: I don’t need to put names to all the faces; I don’t need to do seat fittings, learn the terminology and do all of the other accommodations that have to happen when you’re a new driver in a team. Everything will just be easier. We can focus more on performance and preparation for the first couple of races right from day one.”

“We also have a very strong baseline to work with from 2023. When we arrive at a race, the work we do will be an optimisation of what we did this year. The 2022 car was perhaps not good enough as a reference for us this year, and on many weekends, we were starting from zero. 2024, it should be easier in terms of preparation, and we can focus more on detail.”

'EL PLAN: Fernando Alonso’s intriguing F1 2024 claim’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/fernan...martin-success

Aston Martin issue update on Honda relationship ahead of 2026 partnership
    24 December 10:15AM
    Author Fergal Walsh
    Co-author Aaron Deckers
    RacingNews365

Aston Martin and Honda will join forces for the 2026 Formula 1 season and work is already ongoing in the background to ensure a successful partnership. Aston Martin Team Principal Mike Krack has issued an update on the partnership between Honda ahead of their partnership in 2026.

Honda has opted to re-enter Formula 1 as an engine supplier and will join forces with Aston Martin. The Silverstone-based squad enjoyed a strong campaign this year as it scored eight podiums en route to claiming fifth in the Constructors' Championship. It also moved into a new factory as it upgraded its facilities, with team owner Lawrence Stroll continuing to invest in the squad.

Having raced under various guises during its history such as Force India and Racing Point, it has competed with Mercedes engines since the 2009 season. However, that will change in 2026 with Honda currently scheduled to solely supply Aston Martin with Power Unit.

‘Update on Honda relationship’;

https://racingnews365.com/aston-mart...26-partnership

F1 News: Alonso reveals aims for next “2-3 years” at Aston Martin
    December 23, 2023
    By: Jaden Diaz-Ndisang
    Last Word On Sports

Fernando Alonso’s move to Aston Martin produced shockwaves in F1 news, but the Spaniard silenced any doubters with his 2023 results. With the 2024 season fast approaching, there are new objectives at Team Silverstone. After a sensational start with the AMR23 in Bahrain, the realities of competing at the front of F1 became clear. Rivals accelerated their development, whilst Aston Martin committed a major blunder.

After his first year with Aston Martin, Fernando Alonso explained the difficulties 2024 will present: “The starting point is a little better than I thought, but now the real difficulty begins… Now, here comes the difficult period for Aston Martin,” MARCA quotes him as saying. “I think in the next two or three years, finding that extra something no one has – being creative, innovative. I think that perhaps is the biggest question we must face.”

Alonso’s assessment seems reasonable, since next year will be a continuation of the development battle that was so costly for Aston in 2023. Dan Fallows and his technical are unlikely to repeat their magical development across 2022-23, but this will not be the aim. Instead, taking a sizable – though not unattainable – step forward can cement Aston at the front.

'EL PLAN: Alonso reveals aims for next “2-3 years” at Aston Martin’

https://lastwordonsports.com/motorsp...-aston-martin/

Alpine F1 looking “two years into the future” with 2024 development.
    Alpine F1 is focused on developing its 2024 car, with a clear belief that taking an independent route is the best option.
    December 23, 2023
    Last Word On Sports

When Alpine unveiled the A523 in February, they outlined P4 as their annual objective. In short, the French outfit wanted to solidify itself as the ‘best of the rest’ and close the gap to the front – without committing itself to an overly ambitious goal. However, even with these moderate expectations, Team Enstone found itself disappointed in Bahrain…

Alpine opt for innovation, not imitation: With just two years left before the regulations change, time is running out. Reflecting on the last twelve months, technical director Matt Harman explained Alpine’s approach for the winter break:

“It’s really important to be inspired. But if you keep imitaitng something, you’ll never move forward,” motorsport-total quoted him as saying. That means we can get inspiration – but we have to go our own way. Because if you arrive with a car that is current today, it will be out of date in 2025. So you have to think two years into the future.”

‘Looking two years into the future’;

https://lastwordonsports.com/motorsp...4-development/

Alpine accepts power unit deficit, focused on 2026 engine
    19/12/2023 at 08:23
    Phillip van Osten
    F1i.com

Alpine Formula 1 technical director Matt Harman acknowledged that Renault's approach last year in developing its power unit was ambitious but ultimately fell short of bridging the performance gap to its rivals due to a lack of development time.

Renault's Viry-Châtillon powertrain department took a calculated risk with last year's RE22 split-turbo engine design engine when it opted to prioritize performance gains over reliability before the unit’s specification was frozen by the FIA’s technical regulations.

That strategy was based on the assumption that any subsequent reliability issues could be addressed with the authorization of F1’s governing body. However, as the 2023 season progressed, the RE23, essentially a carryover from the RE22, remained behind its Honda, Mercedes, and Ferrari rivals by around 20-30 bhp.

‘Alpine accepts power unit deficit’;

https://f1i.com/news/496683-alpine-a...26-engine.html

Alpine reveals ongoing 'modernisation' steps for F1 team
    21 December 3:25PM
    Author Fergal Walsh
    Co-author Aaron Deckers
    RacingNews365

Alpine Interim Team Principal Bruno Famin has revealed a number of “modernisation” steps that are being undertaken by the squad at its factories. While Famin acknowledged that Alpine needs all personnel to maximise their efforts, he stated that improvements to infrastructure will boost its prospects.

“For me it's crucial, the culture and attitude are crucial,” Famin told select media including RacingNews365. “For sure, it's not enough of course. I think the modernisation of both sites is under process and quite well advanced, especially in Viry. In Viry I think we're finalising the modernisation of the site. Two years ago, we had a brand new building to assemble the Power Unit. We are finalizing the modernisation of the dynos.”

“In Enstone, a lot of work has been done also,” he said. “We were investing and the work has started for having a new simulator, which is really a weak point today. Thanks to the CapEx equalization decision from the FIA, we will be able to also develop some new dynos for the car itself, for the suspension for this kind of thing. Then I think in the two coming years we will have finished the modernisation of both sites which will be a plus of course. But it will be nothing if we don't have the right people with the right mindset to operate it.”

‘Alpine reveals ongoing modernisation’;

https://racingnews365.com/alpine-rev...ps-for-f1-team

Famin: Alpine management shake-up has 'untapped potential'
    17/12/2023 at 14:16
    Andrew Lewin
    F1i.com

Alpine F1 interim principal Bruno Famin says that the stormy changes to the team's management structure last summer has had the effect of freeing up some potential at Enstone, allowing staff to feel more able to contribute. "The changes we made mid-season we untapped some potential in the people," Famin said. "People are much freer to propose things, to improve.

"That’s especially true on the track side, where immediately I saw a change in the mindset," he continued. "[Rob and Jason] are doing a very good job in proposing improvements, in making sure that their guys also propose things. I think all this potential was a bit capped until the end of July," he added. "It’s true for the garage, it’s true also for the track engineering, it’s true for the strategy, and we are daring things we were not daring before.”

“I have no idea of how long it will take and I don’t want to fix a target,” Famin insisted. “The objective for this winter and for next year will be to develop that attitude, that mindset, changing the culture. It's not Viry against Enstone, it’s the whole thing altogether," he added. "To continue and to develop the momentum in order to make a better team, a better company and to be able to develop a better car.”

‘Alpine management shake-up’;

https://f1i.com/news/496589-famin-al...potential.html

Otmar Szafnauer says ‘exceptional’ F1 driver is ‘quite a way ahead’ of 22-year-old teammate
    Thu 21 December 2023 12:00
    Ben Evans
    F1 Oversteer

Former Alpine team principal Otmar Szafnauer has admitted that McLaren driver Lando Norris is still much quicker than his rookie teammate Oscar Piastri. Szafnauer left Alpine after the Belgian Grand Prix this year but has been keeping a close eye on what’s going on despite his absence.

Speaking to Peter Windsor on his YouTube channel, Szafnauer was discussing the McLaren pair and has a reason to watch those two drivers closely in particular. There’s plenty of excitement around the paddock about how fast Lando Norris and Oscar Piastri are. Some fans would even make an argument that they’re the strongest pairing on the grid at the moment, especially considering their ages and how much potential they have to get even quicker.

Szafnauer was in charge of Alpine when Piastri decided to leave the team and join up with Norris at McLaren ahead of last season. The young Australian was lined up to replace Fernando Alonso as he headed off to Aston Martin but he too jumped ship before being tied down to a contract. It looks like an inspired decision from McLaren to hire the 22-year-old who already has a Sprint Race win to his name.

‘Former Alpine team principal Otmar Szafnauer’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/otm...-old-teammate/
    Last edited by Fortitude; 27th December 2023 at 10:13.

James Vowles cites Ross Brawn, Toto Wolff influence for early success at Williams in 2023.
    Williams team principal James Vowles has spoken about the positive influence legendary F1 figures such as Ross Brawn and Toto Wolff have had on his career.
    23 Dec 2023
    Connor McDonagh
    Crash.Net

Vowles joined Williams as F1 team boss for the 2023 season, replacing Jost Capito. Under his leadership, Vowles - who is the youngest F1 team principal on the grid - guided Williams to their best constructors’ finish since 2017, securing seventh. Vowles spent the majority of his years with Mercedes (formerly BAR, Honda and Brawn GP), based at Brackley.

During his time in F1, Vowles worked under some impressive names such as Brawn, Wolff and Dave Richards. Speaking on the Sky Sports F1 review show, Vowles shared what he had learned from the aforementioned trio.

“All of them in their own unique ways,” he said. “All three of them are very unique in their management, in their leadership styles. There’s much I could learn from all three during the years. With Toto, incredible business knowledge, and a really strong leader. He knows how to get the most out of everyone.”

‘Positive influence legendary F1 figures had on his career’;

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/104274...-williams-2023

Alex Albon feels it’s ‘unfortunate’ what Williams F1 team were known for in 2023
    Tue 19 December 2023 18:00
    Kyle Archer
    F1 Oversteer

Williams driver Alex Albon feels it is ‘unfortunate’ what the Grove squad were known for in the 2023 Formula 1 season and ‘wishes’ the year panned out slightly differently. The British team developed a reputation throughout the year for having to favour defensive tactics to score points. Albon took his and Williams’ best results of the season when the 27-year-old qualified well before turning his FW45 into a moving chicane during the Grand Prix.

Albon frustrated several drivers to finish seventh at the Canadian GP when the London-born Thai led a train of rivals. The likes of Alpine’s Esteban Ocon, McLaren’s Lando Norris and Alfa Romeo’s Valtteri Bottas all failed to overtake the Williams driver, despite the long DRS zones. Alex Albon secured Williams’ best results of 2023 with defensive drives. Norris, again, spent his race stuck behind Albon at the Italian GP, too. The 24-year-old ended the race just 0.343 seconds behind the rear of his close friend’s Williams.

He could not find a way around the FW15 to steal P7 at Monza throughout Norris’ race-long contest with Albon. Ferrari driver Charles Leclerc similarly found himself stuck behind Albon as they fought over P8 at the British GP. The pair duelled over the last laps with Aston Martin’s Fernando Alonso just 0.685 seconds ahead of the Williams star come the chequered flag at Silverstone in July.

‘Defensive tactics to score points’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/ale...n-for-in-2023/

Williams starlet highlights James Vowles impact after 'insane' F1 test - EXCLUSIVE
    Williams Racing Driver Academy prospect Franco Colapinto made his first outing in F1 machinery during the post-season tyre test at the Yas Marina Circuit.
    08:15, Sat, Dec 23, 2023
    By Harry Smith
    Daily and Sunday Express

Williams Racing Driver Academy prospect Franco Colapinto has praised “extremely professional” team principal James Vowles for his impact on both the team and his career. The 20-year-old completed his first-ever F1 outing driving for the Grove-based team in the Abu Dhabi post-season test.

Ahead of Vowles’ arrival from Mercedes over the winter of 2022, Williams Racing finished bottom of the Constructors’ Championship standings with a mere eight points. However, 12 months on, the mood within the team has been bolstered significantly off the back of a seventh-place finish in the standings. Speaking to Express Sport about his experience with Vowles, Colapinto explained:

“It’s incredible. I think he’s extremely professional. He has a lot of experience in Formula One and you can see that very clearly… all the knowledge and all the experience that he brings when you have only a few minutes to talk with him [or] you exchange a few words. It’s incredible what he did with Williams Racing already in only less than one year. And I think the future is bright for Williams Racing. I think it was one of the key things, that James joined the team. It’s amazing how he’s helping us as drivers in F3 and in F2 also in F1."

‘James Vowles impact’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...ames-Vowles-F1

F1 star branded ‘hot property’ reveals tantrums if Michael Schumacher did not win
    22 Dec 2023 8:30 PM
    Jamie Woodhouse
    PlanetF1.com

Alex Albon, branded “hot property” again in F1 by his former Red Bull team boss Christian Horner, opened up on Michael Schumacher’s influence on his childhood, and inspiration for tantrums! When Albon was a young racing fan, Schumacher was dominating the F1 scene, winning five World titles in a row with Ferrari between 2000-04. So strong was this influence on a young Albon that ‘Ferrari’ was one of the first words he learned, or ‘Rari’ to more accurately reflect his version.

“I was an obsessed kid when I was growing up,” said Albon on the High Performance Podcast. “One of my first words was ‘Ferrari’, which I would call ‘Rari’. It was Ferrari and then exhausts – I loved seeing four tailpipes – which were ‘smokes’. So I always used to shout out ‘smokes’ or ‘Rari’.”

“I was a massive Michael Schumacher fan, used to throw the biggest tantrums as a kid if Michael didn’t win. My mum used to have a VHS of like 2001 Formula 1 highlights review and I knew all the races that he won that year, so as soon as I would have an off or a bad day or whatever, that was straight in, playing a Michael win.”

‘Smokes’ or ‘Rari’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/alex-a...schumacher-win

Albon names biggest 'missed opportunity' from F1 season
    20 December 2:20PM
    Author Fergal Walsh
    RacingNews365

While the results went in Williams' favour at times this year, it was often due to its strong straight-line speed that made it difficult to be overtaken. “I'm very proud of what we've achieved at the team,” Albon told media including RacingNews365. “I think about the races that we've scored points in.”

“We haven't had a smooth race where we've just gone ‘Well, that was that was nice’. I wish we had more of them but unfortunately, a lot of them are holding up a bunch of cars behind us, which is what we've become renowned for.”

“The car has improved a lot from last year. We’re going into every weekend feeling like there's a chance to score points. “But even in that case our race pace is not always that great. And yet you still come away with points.”

'Missed opportunity';

https://racingnews365.com/albon-name...from-f1-season

Williams and Sauber opt for same day 2024 car launch
    22/12/2023 at 18:12
    Phillip van Osten
    F1i.com

Williams and Sauber have announced that they will pull the covers off their 2024 F1 contenders at season launch events to be held on February 5. The two teams took to social media late on Friday to share with fans their “save the date” happenings.

Williams - whose line-up will consist once again of Alex Albon and Logan Sargeant - offered no details about its launch, whether it would showcase its genuine 2024 car or renders of its charger as has been the case in the past.

‘February 5, 2024’;

https://f1i.com/news/496921-williams...ar-launch.html

Talking Points: Just what exactly is Haas doing in F1?
    With teams lining up to get into F1, there's an inescapable vacuum on the current grid in the shape of Haas, this year's proud winners of the constructors' championship wooden spoon.
    10:31, 27th Dec. 2023
    Andrew Lewin
    F1i.com

When Haas originally entered Formula 1 in 2016, it had a plan. For many years the running joke in the sport was that the only way to make a small fortune in F1 was to start with a large one and watch it rapidly drain away. But Gene Haas felt that his experience in NASCAR would help him bring in some American "co-do" spirit by innovating the way that constructors operated.

He came up with a new strategy of working closely with partners in the sport such as Ferrari, which would allow Haas to cut the cost of developing their own car. The team could get up to speed quicker without paying a fortune for the design of every specialist nut and bolt required. And the plan got off to a good start, with Haas finishing their maiden season in eighth ahead of the likes of Renault, Sauber and Manor.

Does Haas have a plan for success - or an exit strategy? Let's be clear, there was definite sense in not wanting to throw good money after bad and opting instead to batten down the hatches for a year; but it's unusual for any sporting franchise in a major championship to simply give up altogether before the season even starts. Haas duly got what it deserved at the end of 2021: they finished dead last having not scored a single point. But at least their plans were now well set for the following year when the new rules came in. Right?

‘Haas F1: The only way to make a small fortune in F1 was to start with a large one’;

https://f1i.com/magazine/496858-talk...g-in-f1.html/2

F1 team has "little hope" for 2024 as Sky Sports pundit says they're "flying blind"
    Haas finished bottom of the pile as they struggled throughout the season, scoring points on just four occasions, with a former driver pessimistic about their future prospectd
    13:01, 26 Dec 2023
    By Samuel Meade Sports Brand Writer
    The Mirror

Haas finished bottom of the pile as they struggled throughout the season, scoring points on just four occasions, with a former driver pessimistic about their future prospects. Haas are on the "wrong path" after a season that saw them finish bottom of the constructors' championship.

The American outfit scored just 12 points in the recent campaign after finishing in the top ten just four times. Nico Hulkenberg and Kevin Magnussen, who were axed as the team's line-up before returning in recent years, struggled to find any performance from the package provided.

The former F1 driver, Timo Glock, told Sky Germany : “The worst case scenario at Haas is that the new car with the upgrade is slower than the old car that Nico Hulkenberg had in this race. That shows that the entire team is on that is the wrong path. That gives little hope for next year and makes it difficult to understand why we saw such good data in the wind tunnel. As a team, you are flying blind. The question is what is Guenther Steiner’s idea to get out again. It will be a mammoth task in the first six months.”

‘Haas F1: "Flying blind"!;

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formu...nberg-31750416

Gene Haas risks wasting a billion-dollar chance for his F1 team
    Dec 24, 2023
    by Edd Straw
    The Race

There’s never been a better time to own a Formula 1 team, but as the good times roll in Haas is in danger of missing out thanks to underinvestment that risks making it forever the poor relation on the grid. It’s time for owner Gene Haas either to put up, by maximising the allowed investment in the team, or get out by selling on to someone who will.

There is, of course, a middle way whereby a minority stake can be sold to raise funds for the necessary spending. Alpine, for example, sold 24% of its F1 team to an investment group but retains control. But the point is that Haas has a fantastic opportunity and risks squandering it. It’s easy to criticise Haas given its poor on-track performance in 2023, but that’s not the main symptom of the problem.

It’s not just F1’s popularity that’s driving the talk of multi-billion-dollar teams. The prevailing financial conditions, notably the cost cap, set at a baseline of $135m per season, and the more equitable distribution of the slice of F1’s revenue shared by the teams means the economic foundations are better than they have been for decades - perhaps ever given the potential rewards on offer. The conditions are therefore perfect for Haas.

‘Wasting a billion-dollar chance’;

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/g...r-his-f1-team/

Haas reliant on Ferrari 2024 package to make progress
    December 26, 2023
    Last Word On Sports

Guenther Steiner is hopeful that Ferrari can challenge Red Bull next season, since it would help drag Haas up the field in 2024. In the last few teams, AlphaTauri and Red Bull’s relationship has been highly scrutinised. However, they aren’t the only teams with close ties. Over the last few years, Haas and Ferrari have worked relatively closely in terms of their development.

As a team with limited budgets and resources, Haas lacks the ability to match the expenditure of rivals. The last twelve months have, once again, exposed their inability to compete in the development war. Although Guenther Steiner claims that finances weren’t a limiting factor last season, it is difficult to overlook their mid-season form.

The Haas team principal’s recent comments to Sky F1 are still indicative of a clear ceiling:
    “I think somebody will challenge Red Bull and Max next year… I hope [it is] Charles because it means they get a good package – and we then have a good package. We are a bit self-centered,” joked the Haas team principal.”

‘Haas reliant on Ferrari 2024 package’;

https://lastwordonsports.com/motorsp...make-progress/

Christmas lunch with Haas team principal Guenther Steiner!
    09:02 Mon, 25 Dec 2023.
    Sky Sports

Sky Sports' Craig Slater met with Haas team principal Guenther Steiner for Christmas lunch to chat all things Formula 1 next season.

‘Guenther Steiner for Christmas lunch’;

https://www.skysports.com/watch/vide...enther-steiner

Guenther Steiner warns of 2024 driver market changes
    December 22, 2023
    Last Word On Sports

Guenther Steiner has seen numerous driver changes at Haas in recent years, and he predicts another volatile F1 driver market in 2024. The last twelve months have seen relatively minimal changes in the F1 grid – aside from a series of swaps AlphaTauri. However, next season will potentially see numerous changes across the field.

Formula 2 grid is being filled with highly talented youngsters. Among them is Oliver Bearman, who completed FP1 for Haas in Mexico and Abu Dhabi. In both these sessions, the 18-year-old was within a few tenths of Nico Hulkenberg and Kevin Magnussen. If the British driver can produce a strong campaign in F2, it seems plausible Ferrari will push for his entry into F1. The most logical destination would be at Haas F1 Team.

Although Guenther Steiner doesn’t directly state Bearman is under consideration, his recent comments indicate changes are possible: “We all know what is happening in the market,” he told SpeedCafe. “At some stage, we will have new drivers coming into Formula 1 – because some are getting on in their careers. So you’re always thinking and seeing what is happening. You keep an eye [on it], but it’s too early to make decisions.”

‘2024 driver market changes’;

https://lastwordonsports.com/motorsp...arket-changes/

Steiner expecting early moves in 2024 with driver market wide open
    Haas boss Guenther Steiner sees quick moves being made in the 2024 F1 driver transfer market
    22 December 2023
    by Ian Parkes
    Speedcafe

Haas team principal Guenther Steiner is fully expecting early moves to be made in what will be a wide-open F1 driver transfer market in 2024. For the first time in F1 history, with Williams recently retaining Logan Sargeant to complete next year’s line-up, the grid is unchanged from one season to the next.

From 2024 into 2025, however, there could be major changes as only five drivers have a guaranteed contract beyond next year – Mercedes duo Lewis Hamilton and George Russell, Red Bull’s Max Verstappen, and McLaren pair Lando Norris and Oscar Piastri. It is widely expected Ferrari will retain Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz, leaving 13 seats available, with the most high-profile being who will partner Verstappen in ’25.

Although advantageous to make an early move, Steiner knows that comes with a price tag, meaning it may be better to wait, albeit with the flip side being quality drivers will be in short supply. “We all know what is happening with the driver market,” said Steiner, whose drivers Nico Hulkenberg and Kevin Magnussen will be out of contract at the end of next season. “In 2025 it opens up. At some stage, we will have new drivers coming into Formula 1 because some are getting on in their careers.”

‘Guenther Steiner sees quick moves being made in 2024’;

https://speedcafe.com/guenther-stein...r-market-2024/

New AlphaTauri name still under wraps as FIA publishes 2024 F1 entry list.
    The AlphaTauri Formula 1 team has kept its new name under wraps by appearing on the initial 2024 FIA entry list in its current guise.
    UPDATEDDEC 15, 2023, 4:09 PM
    AUTHORAdam Cooper
    Motorsport.com

After four seasons as AlphaTauri, the Faenza team is moving on from its current name – with Racing Bulls widely tipped as the new choice – but it is not planning any further announcement until next year.
    However, speaking to Motorsport.com last month, CEO Peter Bayer gave some insight into its plans.

"The identity will be generic," he said. "The identity is what Toro Rosso would have been, and it's moving closer to the Red Bull family again. But then it will appear with the naming rights partners.”

"We will change the company name, we will change identity, logo, everything, a complete relaunch, complete rebrand. The name of the team, the identity, has been decided by the shareholders. And I need to carry it with me without being able to share, which is very difficult!"

‘Name still under wraps’;

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/n...ntry/10558122/

AlphaTauri’s new F1 2024 name shrouded in mystery as FIA publish entry list

15 Dec 2023 9:43 AM
    Oliver Harden
    PlanetF1.com

AlphaTauri’s new identity for the F1 2024 season remains shrouded in mystery with only a slight change present on the FIA’s entry list on Friday. As it stands, the team will be known as Scuderia AlphaTauri RB next year – but that may be subject to change before the start of the F1 2024 campaign.

In an exclusive interview with PlanetF1.com’s Thomas Maher during the F1 2023 season, the AlphaTauri team’s chief executive Peter Bayer explained why Red Bull were considering a new look for next year. He said: “AlphaTauri is a clothing brand, which is owned by Red Bull. They’re currently re-evaluating where they want to take the clothing brand, and how they strategically want to position it, which is why that whole discussion came about.”

‘Shrouded in mystery’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/alphat...024-entry-list

Why AlphaTauri is on the FIA entry list with its 'old' name
    15 December 6:00PM
    Author Pepijn van der Hulst
    Co-author Fergal Walsh
    RacingNews365

AlphaTauri experienced a tumultuous Formula 1 campaign this year, from Nyck de Vries being replaced by Daniel Ricciardo just before the summer break to team boss Franz Tost announcing his retirement. Another major change that was confirmed during the campaign was the decision to leave behind the AlphaTauri name and compete under a new moniker for the 2024 season.

As of yet, it is not 100 per cent known what the name will be and the FIA's entry list has not offered a definitive answer. Ricciardo and team-mate Yuki Tsunoda will drive for the team currently listed as Scuderia AlphaTauri RB in 2024, but it raises questions as to why the official new name is not yet known. In any case, the letters RB may well refer to its parent owner: Red Bull.

RacingNews365 reported in August that Hugo Boss was in the running for a possible title sponsorship, after which the Racing Bulls name also circulated through the paddock as a rumour. Confirmation of a new guise did not come, although several names were registered. Racing Bulls was one of them. The process of finding a new title sponsor has been quite arduous.

‘Tumultuous Formula 1 campaign’;

https://racingnews365.com/why-alphat...h-the-old-name

Talking Points: Were AlphaTauri right to eject de Vries?
    26/12/2023 at 10:30
    Andrew Lewin
    F1i.com

No time to waste on drivers who don't deliver. AlphaTauri has long been criticised for the way it throws drivers out the minute they're perceived to be struggling. They did it again this season with the early exit of Nyck de Vries. Were they justified in dropping the former Formula E champion, or was it a mistake to bring him on board in the first place?

Only one team on the 2023 grid fielded more than two drivers all season, and that was AlphaTauri. It's symptomatic of how the squad has treated its drivers right back to its days as Toro Rosso: as soon as Helmut Marko decides that someone isn't up to the standards required by Red Bull, it's time to usher them to the exit with all due haste and make way for someone who might be.

Was that too soon to make a ruling on whether de Vries should stay in the seat? At the time Williams' Logan Sargeant was also scoreless while McLaren's Oscar Piastri - the third of the three rookies - was on 17 points. Sargeant not only survived but was kept on for 2024, while Piastri blossomed into a sprint race winner. So why cull de Vries? In terms of how the season unfolded from there, AlphaTauri picked up eight points from de Vries' successors Daniel Ricciardo and Liam Lawson and finished the season P8 in the final constructors standings. But that would still have been case even if de Vries had been allowed to see out a full season without scoring.

‘Was that too soon to make a ruling?’;

https://f1i.com/magazine/496868-talk...e-vries.html/2

Liam Lawson most likely F1 return date revealed
    December 25, 2023
    Last Word On Sports

Liam Lawson was a revelation this year, but several factors meant he wasn’t awarded a 2024 contract. However, his F1 hopes are very much alive. Few drivers have made their F1 debuts in more difficult circumstances than Liam Lawson. After Daniel Ricciardo sustained an injury during Zandvoort Practice, the 22-year-old was called upon as a last-minute replacement.

Not only was Lawson’s preparation virtually non-existent, but wet conditions affected qualifying and the race in The Netherlands. Under these circumstances, even the most experienced drivers would be susceptible to mistakes – let alone a debutant. Despite the rain, the Kiwi demonstrated immense composure – avoiding any mistakes and bringing the car home. In subsequent race weekends, Lawson went from strength to strength.

This expectation was partly created by Franz Tost, who made these comments earlier this year:
    “Liam did a fantastic job with us because we must not forget the circumstances when he, for the first time, drove in Zandvoort for us. He wasn’t prepared for this. He just had to jump into the car. It was raining, he had to use full wet tyres… and he did everything without any mistake… He deserves a seat in Formula 1, and I expect him, at least in 2025, to be in F1.”

‘The Kiwi demonstrated immense composure’;

https://lastwordonsports.com/motorsp...e-is-revealed/

Christian Horner pinpoints vital Daniel Ricciardo trait which has boosted AlphaTauri
    24 Dec 2023
    James Dielhenn
    Crash.Net

Christian Horner has detailed the key skill which Daniel Ricciardo brought to AlphaTauri to boost the team. “He put some engineering direction into the team with the experience he had and that really benefited the AlphaTauri team,” Red Bull team principal Horner told the Sky F1 podcast.

“It’s great to see Daniel back in F1. It’s something that I was very keen to bring him back into the fold over the winter. When he came to us, you could see he was pretty much done with F1, he wasn’t enjoying it, but slowly that smile came back, that energy came back, and certainly the test in Silverstone for us was truly impressive.”

‘Engineering direction into the team’;

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/104269...ted-alphatauri

Sauber to run under Stake F1 Team Kick Sauber in next two F1 seasons.
    As FIA has published 2024 F1 entry, it has emerged that the Swiss -based outfit Sauber will run under the name 'Stake F1 Team Kick Sauber' for the 2024 and 2025 F1 seasons.
    11:48 Fri, 15 Dec 2023
    By Balazs Szabo on 15 Dec 2023, 14:46
    F1 Technical

Alfa Romeo's partnership with Sauber Motorsport came to a close at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, and the team has started its transition into Audi's factory team. However, the Audi name will only appear in 2026 when the German team fully takes over the Hinwil-based squad.

Sauber has confirmed that online gambling firm Stake will continue as title sponsor next season, while in addition streaming company Kick.com has stepped up its involvement and acquired the naming rights to the chassis. Kick.com’s branding has already appeared prominently on the bodywork of the F1 Team’s C43 at selected races this year, having been announced as a Major Partner at the start of the 2023 F1 season.

Sauber will race with an unchanged driver line-up next season as former Mercedes driver Valtteri Bottas and the sport's first-ever Chinese racer Zhou Guanyu are set to drive for the team for the third consecutive time.

'Stake F1 Team Kick Sauber';

https://www.f1technical.net/news/24332

F1 News: Sauber expected to reveal shock livery in 2024
    December 23, 2023
    Last Word On Sports

Sauber is undergoing a significant rebrand for the 2024 season, and their next steps are set to make waves in F1 news headlines. Valtteri Bottas and Zhou Guanyu have described their first impressions of next season’s car as aggressive. Then again, these comments cannot looked at too heavily.

There is no guarantee that a radical design will reverse the team’s current trajectory. That aside, F1 drivers are almost universally possible during the off-season. After all, a pessimistic outlook during the winter break would negatively impact morale at the factory.

For the upcoming 2024 campaign, a different colour scheme is expected. This is fairly routine when a new title sponsor arrives. Some F1 news outlets hypothesise a green livery (consistent with Kick’s lime-green logo) to make its debut.

‘Shock livery in 2024’;

https://lastwordonsports.com/motorsp...ivery-in-2024/

Key: “Immensely tight grid” a reason for optimism at Sauber.
    PUBLISHEDDEC 27, 2023, 1:30 PM
    AUTHORAdam Cooper
    Motorsport.com

Sauber Formula 1 technical director James Key says that an “immensely tight grid” in 2023 gives him cause for optimism regarding the team’s prospects for next year.

In its final season under the Alfa Romeo name, the Swiss outfit slipped from sixth to ninth in the constructors' standings after a difficult season with the C43.

However, in the background the team has been building towards the arrival of Audi in 2026, with the hiring of former McLaren man Key one of the most visible signs of progress.

“Immensely tight grid”;

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/k...uber/10560932/

Sauber F1 team teases another name change after fan backlash to FIA announcement
    The Sauber F1 team previously branded as Alfa Romeo has already gone through one major name change in the last week, but it seems another is coming in the New Year
    18:01 Tue, 19 Dec 2023.
    The Mirror

Perhaps in response to that reaction, the team is planning another change of guise. In a surprise social media statement on Tuesday, Sauber - still using the Alfa Romeo branding on their accounts - hinted at another announcement on January 1st. The statement, which followed the kicker: "If you think you already know, think again..." read: "It seems our recently released team name has been getting a lot of attention...”

"While we're not ready to unveil the final results yet, we are aware of what's at stake. Rest assured, we're on a mission to unleash the most exciting team identity this team has ever seen. Gone are the days of the short and sweet. We're cooking up a feast. Whatever guise in which the team begins the 2024 season, it will only be a temporary identity. From the 2026 season, the Sauber outfit will transform fully into the Audi works team as the German carmaker makes its official entry into F1.”

Team representative Alessandro Alunni Bravi has previously explained why Audi are waiting for another two years before making their grand entrance. He said: "It's not a limbo period - we build our future here and now, it's not that there is a separation between the Sauber period and the Audi period.”

‘Another announcement on January 1st’;

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formu...-2024-31711363

Kick expands Sauber F1 deal, joins Stake.com in team name
    December 15, 2023
    Williams
    Sport Business

The Sauber-owned Formula 1 team has expanded its association with streaming platform Kick to integrate the brand within its team name from the 2024 season.

‘Kick expands Sauber F1 deal’;

https://www.sportbusiness.com/news/k...-in-team-name/

Sauber recruitment drive will continue ahead of Audi F1 entry
    Sauber managing director and team representative Alessandro Alunni Bravi says that the Hinwil outfit will continue to expand its headcount ahead of Audi's Formula 1 entry in 2026.
    DEC 26, 2023, 7:50 AM
    AUTHOR Adam Cooper
    Motorsport.com

After a financial squeeze led to downsizing, the team employed just 220 people prior to the takeover by Finn Rausing in 2017. With new investment in place, the team grew in subsequent years under the Alfa Romeo name, and by this season the headcount had more than doubled on Rausing’s watch.

The expansion process received extra momentum when Audi’s takeover was confirmed in August 2022, although many of those who have been signed up remained tied to rivals via gardening leave. Alunni Bravi stressed that finding the right people was the priority ahead of building up the facilities for them to use.

"We have undertaken an important recruitment plan,” he said. “Of course, the result of the plan will be more visible in the next few years, because with every new appointment normally you have a gardening leave period to join a competitor. So we started with the recruitment. Of course, we will ramp up our structure, both in terms of head counts, in terms of technology, in the next few years because all the investment that needs to be made and put in place requires also a bit of time.

‘The right people was the priority’;

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/s...ntry/10560129/