Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    I disagree with Garry Walker that Bellof is overrated. I think he could have become one of the greatest of all times without that Eau Rouge...

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Walker
    indeed. And rosberg, berger - Why are they so low compared to Mansell, considering they easily at least equalled him? And where is Elio de Angelis, you know the guy who easily owned "our" Nigel at Lotus?

button as 49? hahahahaha. What is he doing on that list?
    montoya at 25th (which in itself is beyond a joke) and Ralf nowhere? Can i ask what drugs were they using?

Why is alonso so high as nr.8? Why is Kimi 13th, yet the guy who is making him look slow, is nowhere to be found?
    Bellof is grossy overrated aswell, considering Brundle is nowhere to be found on that list. There is so much retardation in that list Im beginning to think Peter Windsor played a significant part in making it.

How can you say Gilles was the fastest when he was beaten in equal cars by Jody and Reutemann?
    As you quoted, its because Mansell looked quick in comparison. Such as Silverstone 87, Mexico City '90, Spain '91... Berger wasn't involved in as many spectacular incidents highlighting his speed. Rosberg always looked bloody quick...what year was he in the same team as Mansell?

My explanation of Button and Montoya rating highly is because Button is British and Montoya always seemed to be involved in something spectacular and daring, like passing at the Bus stop, interlagos '01 etc etc.
    Alonso was rated so highly because he was a double world champion and beat Schumacher in a more or less equal car, also the fact that he is the most recent world champion helps when people nominate you.
    Kimi...well...he had a reputation of being the nearly man in '03, he looked faster in '05 (presumably the car was a big factor) and grabbed pole twice in a very poor car in '06. Basically, he had a reputation for being really fast without good enough machinery. Massa last year was seen by many as the underling to Schumacher, and is (was?) rather poor in the wet. Which is no doubt a huge factor.

For Bellof, he had a reputation of being EXTRAORDINARILY fast in sportscars, he set the lap record at the Nurburgring Nordschliefe, he was 1984 sportscar champ, beating drivers such as Jacky Ickx. But his selling point for being on this list was Monaco '84, as he was closing on Senna and Prost, with a car with inferior amount of power. Which, some may argue, was in no small amount to Tyrells illegal lead ballast. Also, dying while trying to be the fastest and the bravest helps with peoples impressions of you as well.

And Gilles Villeneuve was beaten in his first season at Ferrari, and Reutemann was no slouch. He was almost a championship winner, and '78 was only Gilles 5th season of racing. He didn't win the championship in '79 because of team orders, and he was always constantly improving. Again, remembered for Monaco '81 in a dog of a car, Dijon '79, Getting sideways for 100 yards in Dijon Qualifying '81, Zandvoort '79, Jarama '81... being fastest in a wet practice session by 9 seconds...

Gilles always looked, and wanted, and LIVED to be the fastest and the bravest, and he was, in many drivers and fans eyes alike. Thats how I would justify Gilles being the fastest.

Thats how I guess the judging panel would've chosen those that you mentioned above.

Another thing that not many people have mentioned is that formula one started in 1946-47, and drivers such as Varzi, Wimille and Nuvolari are technically Formula 1 drivers. And since Wimille was considered the fastest in the world for a while, disregarding the greatness of Varzi and Nuvolari, I think its a bit of a shame they aren't on the list.

EDIT: The list said F1 drivers between 1950-2006. Oops.