Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant_RSA
    yes, it is just a progression on the Corolla! i see it as a natural progression as they homologated the first version.

Dont really understand why Aus had to do their own thing? and its only regionally homologated?
    I asked the same question of Neal Bates (who runs Toyotas rally team here in Aus), and apparently the underpinnings of the old and new Corollas (or Auris, depending on where you are in the world), are different enough that the SA-build S2000s couldn't be used.

Also, the Aus S2000 Corollas (which are the latest model) have been competing all year, so the time-frame is all wrong.

I understand they were locally homologated because they were so new to the local market, but are susposed to fall under 'FIA Regional Homologation' rules during the year.
    APRC Live - Asia-Pacific Rally Podcast

Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    its all rather strange to me, as i know the first S2000 built there was the same "corolla" as in SA and then moved on to the Auris!

Has Neal said anything about getting full FIA Homologation? as far as i know that is what the South African one will be.

I Just see it as being a bit silly for 2 different concerns trying to achieve the same goal, surely its a huge waste of $$$?

Liked 252 Times in 68 Posts
    Neal isn't going for full homologation as he has to build too many cars to be able to do it. He just doesn't have the infrastructure to do it.

Ray
    2007 Australian Rally Champion Driver Class P3
    2011 Australian Rally Champion Codriver Privateers Cup and Premier League,
    2014 Australian Targa Champion Codriver Late Classic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant_RSA
    I Just see it as being a bit silly for 2 different concerns trying to achieve the same goal, surely its a huge waste of $$$?
    It does seem a bit crazy; I guess Toyota SA and Toyota Aus operate completely independantly, releasing cars into their markets at different times, and that plays a major factor.

The S2000 Bates ran for the first two rounds of the ARC was a 'mule'; the latest model Corolla wasn't released until mid-year.
    APRC Live - Asia-Pacific Rally Podcast

Raybak, thanks for clearing that up!

Wouldnt it have been cheaper for Aus to import already built cars from RSA that develop it themselves? Even if it meant running the older version till the end of the season!

Liked 252 Times in 68 Posts
    I think the reason that Neal built his own was that the newer version of the Corolla wasn't available from SA when the Australian marketing people wanted the new model to be competing here.

Ray
    2007 Australian Rally Champion Driver Class P3
    2011 Australian Rally Champion Codriver Privateers Cup and Premier League,
    2014 Australian Targa Champion Codriver Late Classic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The SA built Auris S2000 is going to be run as course opening car at this weekends Toyota Rally, if everything goes according to plan. FIA homologation is planned for Dec

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Toyota Japan apparently isn't allowing a full international homologation - just national ones for SA and Australia - because they have seen the problems caused in Europe this year.

RED, the agent for SA-built Run-X models, has struggled with homologation requirements and parts supply. Some countries wanted to run cars in Europe but could not be guaranteed proper technical support and back-up.

Quote Originally Posted by milly
    Toyota Japan apparently isn't allowing a full international homologation - just national ones for SA and Australia - because they have seen the problems caused in Europe this year.

RED, the agent for SA-built Run-X models, has struggled with homologation requirements and parts supply. Some countries wanted to run cars in Europe but could not be guaranteed proper technical support and back-up.
    Milly where did you get this info?

I dont really believe that at this time, as the Auris made its debut in as the pre zero car for the final round of our national champs.

The reason i say i dont believe it is because the car was a left hand drive version which i was told is already been sold to someone in Europe or Britain. There is no reason for them to build a left hand drive if it will only be used in South Africa. We drive right hand drive cars here.

The car was quite impressive, the driver, a local production car track driver pushed quite hard but not competition pace. It had issues after the 3rd stage of day 1 and only continued on day 2. for the extreme conditions, ie mud and constant rain, i think it did brilliantly

The car is really good looking, and build quality is excellent.i didnt get to take any pics but will post as soon as possible.

Liked 15 Times in 4 Posts
    Maybe RED took on too much, if I remember correctly, there were supposed to supply a Corolla to a team in Portugal but that didn't happen and the BRC programme stopped abruptly after the Ulster..

Maybe Toyota should appoint a bigger operation with more capital and infrastruture to iron out the problems and to look after the cars on events..
    (I have nothing against RED)