Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    As I said, he was in the only car capable of winning the title, but he did dominate his team mate (ok Rosberg is average at best) and more importantly he didn't make ore than one or two errors.

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
    We've had some good racing these last couple of years, not all the time but we've had some of the best races in the sports history too. Unfortunately in F1 it has always been the case that the best car and driver win the championship and Mercedes have had nobody come close. We had 4 straight years of Vettel dominance and 5 straight years of Schumacher making us yawn all the way to the finish. That is just the way f1 is and Hamilton's championships are in no way inferior to anybody else's. He's been lucky with the car and regs and that is all any team asks for. It's not like he lacks the talent to to get to the finish.

All that said I have only watched 2 full races this season and the rest highlights or even missed them completely. That isn't Hamilton's fault though or the racing. F1 is changing and no longer does it need to be witnessed, but at least recorded in history.
    I didn't say it didn't happened before that a team dominated for several years. What I don't recall ever happening is having the rules that actually seals the pecking order for such a long period of time. Did anyone have any doubts who's going to win the title this year even before the first race? Does anyone have much hope for next season? Hamilton is an excellent driver but I was more impressed by his first 2 seasons with all the mistakes than by the last 2. Or when he grabbed a win here and there from a Vettel driving a much better car.

IMO as long as we have that retarded gimmick called DRS there's not going to be anything that can be included in the "best races in the sports history" category.

3. Likes: henners88 (27th October 2015)
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
    I didn't say it didn't happened before that a team dominated for several years. What I don't recall ever happening is having the rules that actually seals the pecking order for such a long period of time. Did anyone have any doubts who's going to win the title this year even before the first race? Does anyone have much hope for next season? Hamilton is an excellent driver but I was more impressed by his first 2 seasons with all the mistakes than by the last 2. Or when he grabbed a win here and there from a Vettel driving a much better car.

IMO as long as we have that retarded gimmick called DRS there's not going to be anything that can be included in the "best races in the sports history" category.
    Yeah I agree and DRS really needs to be done away with. I don't mind the concept of DRS in itself but only if every driver gets it and not just the driver behind within a second of the car in front. It's the way that DRS is being used is my main problem with it.

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Congrats to Hamilton for the WDC!

As for the Alonso discussion. Well, title counts are never based on "fairness", whatever it means for anyone. One of the all-time legends, Jim Clark, also has 2 titles. One less than Jack Brabham. Other legends and benchmarks of their time, such as Moss and G. Villeneuve, didn't get any titles at all. So 2 titles for Alonso is nothing to sniff at - it is a good achievement.

But it is always the rule that in addition to talent you need to sit in the right cars as well to win titles - and not everyone can sit in the "right cars" simultaneously. Usually only one top driver at a time!

Back to Hamilton. It doesn't really look like he is about to stop at "3". And who knows, where could momentum bring him from here. Remember, at the age of 30 M. Schumacher was still only on 2 WDCs!
    Last edited by jens; 27th October 2015 at 15:51.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    I'm hoping that Hamilton can get #4 next season. But with how strongly Ferrari has come on over the past year, I'm expecting much more of a dog fight next year (from Vettel anyway). And between next weekend and the end of next season, I'd love to see him move to #2 on the wins list, with at least 52 victories.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    I'm hoping that Hamilton can get #4 next season. But with how strongly Ferrari has come on over the past year, I'm expecting much more of a dog fight next year (from Vettel anyway). And between next weekend and the end of next season, I'd love to see him move to #2 on the wins list, with at least 52 victories.
    The anticipation of a Vettel Hamilton duel next season is so tantalizing l want to fast forward to next season already. A battle of two of the most successful drivers in F1 at the moment is bound to make 2016 an epic season. It would be great if Alonso can somehow dip into the duel on occasions as well.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    The anticipation of a Vettel Hamilton duel next season is so tantalizing l want to fast forward to next season already. A battle of two of the most successful drivers in F1 at the moment is bound to make 2016 an epic season. It would be great if Alonso can somehow dip into the duel on occasions as well.
    A battle bewteen two of the most successful drivers ever.

A title fight between a 3 times world champion and a 4 times world champion is very rare. Senna v Prost for a few races in 1994 must be the only occasion.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post
    A battle bewteen two of the most successful drivers ever.

A title fight between a 3 times world champion and a 4 times world champion is very rare. Senna v Prost for a few races in 1994 must be the only occasion.
    Prost didn't race in 1994...
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gm99 View Post
    Prost didn't race in 1994...
    God I must be slipping. confused:

Thanks for correcting me Even rarer then lol.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    I wouldn't yet project a titanic title battle for 2016. History is littered with great expectations before the next season only for the season itself to turn out dull. Though of course - some seasons indeed turn out to be legendary as well.