Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulland View Post
    This one looks more as a WTCC or DTM car.
    Why is FIA doing this?
    Back to the roots?!? Attracting more people (including manufacturers) to the sport?!? Someone mentioned WRC already have attracted enough manufacturers for now. But weren't Toyota waiting for '17 regulations to come in?!? Perhaps VW will also commit to longer involvement beyond '19?!?
    Last edited by stefanvv; 16th July 2015 at 00:44.
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    These changes are very similar to those implemented in WTCC last year. They made TC1 cars more aggressive and powerful, without a significant raise of development and running costs.

The main difference, and problem, in these WRC new regs is the return of active diffs. WRC2.0T cars had highly costly transmission systems that required a level of technical sophistication difficult to achieved. WRC1.6T will steadily reach that level, probably making even harder for other manus to break VW dominance...
    Rally addict since 1982

Senior Member Arnold Triyudho Wardono's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but does anyone think these new changes have come off the back of the recent success/rejuvenation of rallycross? I'd be amazed if that wasn't tabled as part of the discussion. It seems like a bit of a reaction to perceived WRX plus points.
    Not really. Even 2014-current Marklund's Polo shares the same bodykit as WRC counterpart. (2013 spec was based from WRC proto)
    And M-Sport Fiesta is basically WRC with engine steroid.
    Last edited by Arnold Triyudho Wardono; 16th July 2015 at 08:38.

Liked 140 Times in 86 Posts
    I think they're doing it because clearly no one within the FIA who makes technical decisions knows what they're doing.

I read in Autosport today that the justification for the electronically control centre diffs was that it makes it easier to set the cars up and would result in less need for testing. However anything that pillock David Evans writes for Autosport/Motorsport News is usually a load of dross written with a crayon.

5. Likes: AndyRAC (17th July 2015)
    Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack4688` View Post
    I think they're doing it because clearly no one within the FIA who makes technical decisions knows what they're doing.

I read in Autosport today that the justification for the electronically control centre diffs was that it makes it easier to set the cars up and would result in less need for testing. However anything that pillock David Evans writes for Autosport/Motorsport News is usually a load of dross written with a crayon.
    That and it seems they also lack any memory longer than the last Press release for Immediate Release.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Liked 3,476 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    The main difference, and problem, in these WRC new regs is the return of active diffs. WRC2.0T cars had highly costly transmission systems that required a level of technical sophistication difficult to achieved. WRC1.6T will steadily reach that level, probably making even harder for other manus to break VW dominance...
    On the other hand, Ford and Citroën already have a lot (something like 10 years?) of experience with the active differentials in competition, while VW doesn't.

Liked 11,171 Times in 4,437 Posts
    That's not true. VW took people from other teams and they naturally brought their know how with them. You can't say F-X Demaison has no experience with active diffs. Can You?
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

9. Likes: tommeke_B (17th July 2015)
    Liked 3,476 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    That's not true. VW took people from other teams and they naturally brought their know how with them. You can't say F-X Demaison has no experience with active diffs. Can You?
    True that a lot of knowledge is there, but still I think that Ford and Citroën have some basis to build on that VW doesn't have (yet). We'll have to wait and see...

Liked 887 Times in 277 Posts
    Personally I think these new regulations is the wrong way to go. The cars are getting even faster in the corners, even more dependent on aerodynamics, and more dangerous, and not more exiting to watch.

What we need is:
    - More exiting to watch (wich means more than a body kit).
    - Less corner speed (safety)
    - More and better sound

This can easily be achieved by:
    - Regulated damper travel
    - Passive diffs (as now)
    - Regulated aerodynamics
    - Higher revs (bigger restrictors)

High horespower is not a problem, but high downforce and long damper travel is.
    Cars needs to look fast, and that is not achieved by ironing out every bump, jump, or crest.
    See this video to know what I mean:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LX0FbST_zo

This looks and sounds fast! (But is MUCH slower than todays WRC cars)

I fear this development will end in disaster. In an event like Poland, or other evenst with poor spectator magament, a car even faster in the corners could spell disaster.

Also for the drivers a car You can go "flat" with over every bump takes away the need too feel the road, where You must slow down, etc.

Hmmm... I really wonder what is the logic behind these desicions, as I dont see any clear sign of it. It is well meaning, and talented people behind descisions like these, but I just dont see it.
    https://www.facebook.com/noseendfirst?ref=hl#

12. Likes: makinen_fan (17th July 2015),tommeke_B (17th July 2015)
    Liked 140 Times in 86 Posts
    Off topic but I never understood why Juha Kankkunen preferred his pace notes in English, even with a Finnish co-driver!

At about 0:33 the car goes over a small dip and the front-right wheel is in clear air for a split second. Very small detail to notice but that's the kind of thing that makes the cars look more spectacular going through a stage.

It makes me think of a Citroen with hydragas suspension: https://youtu.be/Yl6EYKRdfu4 In the context of this video the Citroen looks hilarious but let's face it, it's making less of a display than the Mercedes, Audi and FIAT on those bumps