View Poll Results: Who will be 2014 World Champion ?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Argentina

6 16.22%
  • Brazil

6 16.22%
  • England

4 10.81%
  • France

1 2.70%
  • Germany

7 18.92%
  • Italy

2 5.41%
  • Netherlands

7 18.92%
  • Portugal

0 0%
  • Spain

2 5.41%
  • Uruguay

2 5.41%
Page 4 of 289 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
    Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anfield5 View Post
    I voted for England . I tried really really hard not to, but some how it just happened any way.

Are you embarrassed easily? I am. But it's nothing to worry about; it's all part of growing up and being British.

Just like following Tim Henman-man-man-man and Jenson Button, following the England football team is a sure fire way to be pleasantly disappointed.
    That's why I'm supporting England all the way to the quarter-finals where they'll be knocked out on penalties by some nation who was once vanquished but has practised at playing football and is now better than England.

Anglorum - ambitiosa nugas!
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post

Are you embarrassed easily? I am. But it's nothing to worry about; it's all part of growing up and being British.

Just like following Tim Henman-man-man-man and Jenson Button, following the England football team is a sure fire way to be pleasantly disappointed.
    That's why I'm supporting England all the way to the quarter-finals where they'll be knocked out on penalties by some nation who was once vanquished but has practised at playing football and is now better than England.

Anglorum - ambitiosa nugas!
    There was no option to vote for Australia then?

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    It's quite odd that no one has ticked the Germany box. Sure they have been under achieving for the past few years, but you can bet they will stand up at the tournament.

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post
    Group B
    Spain 1-1 Netherlands
    Chile 4-0 Australia
    Australia 1-5 Netherlands
    Spain 2-1 Chile
    Australia 0-2 Spain
    Chile 2-2 Netherlands

1. Spain 7
    2. Netherlands 5
    3. Chile 4
    4. Australia 0
    That's a pretty optimistic performance from Australia that you're expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mintexmemory View Post
    Option for Belgium please - best chance of all European teams imvho
    Yep. Normally, it's the Netherlands I go for in WC. But this time, I'm jumping onto the Benelux rival bandwagon!

Lukaku for golden boot!

Lukakuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Australia just got held to a 1-1 draw against South Africa, that didn't play close to it's strongest team!

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Yes I watched the match

South Africa had about 8 out and struggled to get a team there. To be fair Australia looked better in the first half but couldn't put any chances away
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

If chance couldn't be put away against a second string SA team. what hope have we got against a full strength Netherlands, Spain and Chile???

There's been a disgustingly complacent attitude here, the last 8 years. After a respectable performance during the 06 WC, it was expected we'd do better since. Being included in Asia was supposed to mean we'd get more, higher quality games, and a fairer path to the WC. Whereas really, it was all about getting an easier run. Instead of producing a better team, it produced a significantly inferior one.

Since then, we'd slowly, slowly declined to the point now we're the worst team participating. The blame has been dumped onto our two coaches since Guus Hiddink, Pim Verbeek and Holger Osieck. However, this is absolute BS. There was a deluded sense of entitlement from the whole of the Aus football/soccer community here since the 06 WC. A complete lack of understanding and respect for how hard it is to succeed at international level. Expectations have been lowered for the WC as far as progressing is concerned, but there is still some there regarding a spirited performance, particularly with one eye on the Asian Cup. But this will be squashed with our coach.

Verbeek and Osieck have been criticised here, particularly Osieck. But the idiots here are happy with Ange Postecoglou "coaching" the team. He's not much more than a church league coach, he wouldn't even be considered for a CCL2 team.. But we're dumb. We've got him running the national team at a WC. It wasn't til the morning after the game. when Mark Bosnich was interviewd on radio in Melbourne, that I've heard anyone acknowledged that we've got deep rooted problems that won't be fixed overnight. In other words, what Verbeek and Osieck have been saying for 5 years!

When the time comes, if you're a betting man, put money on us to fail to qualify for 2018, or at least not to qualify automatically.

Liked 65 Times in 28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post
    Right I always do this for some fun and as there is a thread on here I guess I might as well publish it for you all to laugh at.
    I love pickems
    I am not going to predict all the matches but these are the teams I think are going to advance to the second round. It looks like everything is set for a Argentina - Brazil final... so it probably will be a different final!
    The team I most hope to fail is France, and they have such an easy trail they are in the quarter finals almost by default
    The team I root for most is Belgium. For the first time in 12 years present and this is going to be their year!

I expect quite a bit from Japan, seeing as it is sort of a home tournament for them. They have a reasonably easy poule and quite a decent squad. For some reason I do not think the African nations are going to do really good, no idea why...
    There is a lot of talk about Poule B here. In my opinion people are underestimating Chile. They play fantastic technical football and they are at their best against other technical teams. That they are paired with Spain and The Netherlands does not mean that they are already defeated. I could even well see them as group winners.

Group A
    Brazil
    Croatia

Group B
    Spain
    Chile

Group C
    Colombia
    Japan

Group D
    Italy
    Uruguay

Group E
    France
    Ecuador

Group F
    Argentina
    Bosnia & Herz

Group G
    Germany
    Portugal

Group H
    Belgium
    South Korea
    Last edited by Lousada; 30th May 2014 at 19:04.

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts

Fun Fact

Of the 60 penalties missed in Word Cup shoot-outs, 14% have been missed by England.
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown, Jon Brow View Post
    Of the 60 penalties missed in Word Cup shoot-outs, 14% have been missed by England.
    That means we havent missed 86% though
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy