Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts

Hamilton close to signing new contract (If he gets to keep his trophies?)

Incredible... I wasn't aware that McLaren driver contracts specified that they (McLaren) got to keep the drivers race trophies, while the drivers got mere copies. Whats that all about?

"The Hungarian Grand Prix winner is expected to resolve his future over the summer break, with it now appearing almost certain that he will remain at the Woking-based team.

But speaking in the wake of his latest triumph, he has revealed that a 'push point' in the talks with be about trophies, with McLaren having historically always kept its drivers' winning silverware.

"Ron [Dennis] and the team have all the trophies in the cabinet and the drivers get replicas," Hamilton told the British media.

"In a lot of other teams, the drivers get their original trophies. As a racing driver, what you work for and what you want to take home are two things; one is your crash helmet and the other is your trophy. For me, they are priceless.

"I don't care if they don't give me a car [to keep], but those two things are what you put your blood and sweat into, and the team keep those at the moment. So whatever contract I'm having next, that is going to be a push point.

"I don't feel I have a tough decision to make. It is my career I'm talking about however - the last part of my [professional] life. It's the first time I've been in this position, so I guess it still remains an important decision."

McLaren has been aware of Hamilton's demands over the trophies for several weeks, and team principal Martin Whitmarsh told AUTOSPORT earlier this month that he was confident the matter would not get blown out of proportion.

"I've known Lewis a long time and I think we have a very good understanding on one another," he said. "I think there is a lot of mutual trust and respect - I hope and believe both ways. So I don't see that [the trophies] as a big issue. We will see."

Hamilton's unusual contract request - Yahoo! Eurosport UK

I think he has a point, dont you?
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico
    Incredible... I wasn't aware that McLaren driver contracts specified that they (McLaren) got to keep the drivers race trophies, while the drivers got mere copies. Whats that all about?

"The Hungarian Grand Prix winner is expected to resolve his future over the summer break, with it now appearing almost certain that he will remain at the Woking-based team.

But speaking in the wake of his latest triumph, he has revealed that a 'push point' in the talks with be about trophies, with McLaren having historically always kept its drivers' winning silverware.

"Ron [Dennis] and the team have all the trophies in the cabinet and the drivers get replicas," Hamilton told the British media.

"In a lot of other teams, the drivers get their original trophies. As a racing driver, what you work for and what you want to take home are two things; one is your crash helmet and the other is your trophy. For me, they are priceless.

"I don't care if they don't give me a car [to keep], but those two things are what you put your blood and sweat into, and the team keep those at the moment. So whatever contract I'm having next, that is going to be a push point.

"I don't feel I have a tough decision to make. It is my career I'm talking about however - the last part of my [professional] life. It's the first time I've been in this position, so I guess it still remains an important decision."

McLaren has been aware of Hamilton's demands over the trophies for several weeks, and team principal Martin Whitmarsh told AUTOSPORT earlier this month that he was confident the matter would not get blown out of proportion.

"I've known Lewis a long time and I think we have a very good understanding on one another," he said. "I think there is a lot of mutual trust and respect - I hope and believe both ways. So I don't see that [the trophies] as a big issue. We will see."

Hamilton's unusual contract request - Yahoo! Eurosport UK

I think he has a point, dont you?
    It has always been that way at McLaren. I remember Mika Hakkinen wanting to keep his as well and McLaren said that if he didn't like the situation that he could leave the team. I can't imagine McLaren changing this for Hamilton to be honest. They never did it for any other driver, so I don't see why they should do it for him.

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    I've always thought it tough on McLaren drivers that they don't get to keep their trophies, but it's in the contract they sign so they can't really have any argument.

I do recall one driver (DC I think) saying he'd kept the original trophy from a race win but had convinced Ron that McLaren had the original not a replica
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    I cant believe I'd never heard of that before. I wonder what the reasoning behind such an unfair clause might be... because they can?
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    There is no "I" in trophy .
    And , there is no "I" in McLaren , either .

Wahhhhh .

Liked 33 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan
    There is no "I" in trophy .
    And , there is no "I" in McLaren , either .

Wahhhhh .
    Apparently, there's an "I" in Ali G.
    Form is Temporary, Class is Permanent

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    I can't see McLaren changing their traditions now.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kfzmeister
    Apparently, there's an "I" in Ali G.
    Apparently, there's an "I" in Trophies - plural, which is what Lewis wants to keep - his TROPHIES!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    I can't see McLaren changing their traditions now.
    I never knew about this "tradition". This is pretty stupid and I feel bad for McLaren's drivers. Maybe if McLaren change this policy it won't take another decade to win another WDC.
    Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    I think it was Brundle who said he has the original second place throphy after his nice drive in the 1994 Monaco GP.

I think he still has it and Mclaren have a copy.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy