Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kamui Kobayashi

Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts

Kamui Kobayashi

Some of you might wonder why I am posting quite a lot recently  Well I look after schools and they have all finished for summer, so I have time to kill!

One of my current favourite drivers is Kamui Kobayashi. I think he is comfortably the best Japanese driver we have seen in F1. I think he is having a good season, Perez has the two outstanding drives in Malaysia and Canada, but Kobayashi has outqualified Perez more than the other way round, and his race pace has been generally excellent. Of course, his overtaking prowess is still a delight to watch as well. He seems to have a unique control of the brake, no other driver seems to be able to pull off the moves he does.

However, I am hearing rumours that Sauber may replace him for 2013 with Heikki Kovalainen or another driver. Seems a bit of a backward step to me. Although Kobayashi has been a little bit inconsistent this season, he is still in my opinion a driver of immense talent and potential. Was he in the Williams alongside the erratic Maldonado, I think we’d see a vast difference.

I actually think Sauber will get rid of Kobayashi for 2013, I think it may already have been decided. However, I would hate to see him lose out on an F1 drive, or even worse – have to drive for Caterham, Marussia or HRT!

Kovalainen > Sauber
    Kobayashi > Williams

I would be happy with that I think 
    Niente è vero, tutto è permesso

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bezza
    Some of you might wonder why I am posting quite a lot recently  Well I look after schools and they have all finished for summer, so I have time to kill!

One of my current favourite drivers is Kamui Kobayashi. I think he is comfortably the best Japanese driver we have seen in F1. I think he is having a good season, Perez has the two outstanding drives in Malaysia and Canada, but Kobayashi has outqualified Perez more than the other way round, and his race pace has been generally excellent. Of course, his overtaking prowess is still a delight to watch as well. He seems to have a unique control of the brake, no other driver seems to be able to pull off the moves he does.

However, I am hearing rumours that Sauber may replace him for 2013 with Heikki Kovalainen or another driver. Seems a bit of a backward step to me. Although Kobayashi has been a little bit inconsistent this season, he is still in my opinion a driver of immense talent and potential. Was he in the Williams alongside the erratic Maldonado, I think we’d see a vast difference.

I actually think Sauber will get rid of Kobayashi for 2013, I think it may already have been decided. However, I would hate to see him lose out on an F1 drive, or even worse – have to drive for Caterham, Marussia or HRT!

Kovalainen > Sauber
    Kobayashi > Williams

I would be happy with that I think 
    If you follow Sauber's team press releases and interviews they always keep going on about how important it is to get two cars scoring good points which I take to be a warning that they wanted Kamui to score podiums as well.

I do believe its unfair of Sauber to blame Kamui, both times Perez got podiums Kamui's race was destroyed by factors outside his control (going through FP3 and qualifying with broken suspension components then being told by the team not to change to wets to split strategies) usually at the insistence of his team. Also in the two recent wet qualifying sessions his qualifying has been messed up by the team trying aggressive tyre choices. Despite this he has outqualified his much talked about teammate even though Kamui has a reputation for not being quick... That said mistakes at Silverstone and Valencia do not help even though they are rare.

Kamui's biggest problem though is his utter failure to bring sponsors to Sauber beyond small one-race deals. In a sense its also an indication of his strength, no other midfield driver has kept his seat so long without substantial sponsorship.

What mystifies me is the choice of drivers who are supposedly in line for the seat. Heikki is a safe pair of hands but not a star and wouldn't be much different to Kamui (unless he brings sponsorship) while Alguersuari is damaged goods after what STR said about him after releasing him.

[Edit] forgot to add that I want Kamui to keep his Sauber seat but oddly enough I'd been thinking of Williams as a potential destination for him too. They could do with a safe pair of hands.

Liked 646 Times in 511 Posts
    Koba driving for Caterham is not as bad as HK having to drive for them this season. I'd take HK in a heartbeat over Koba! He could out pace Koba in equal cars, drive more consistantly, and he is less prone to go Sato on the field! IMO
    May the forza be with you

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Being the only Japanese driver on the field, an a quite promising one, I am surprised his car doesn't have more Japanese sponsors.

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Giacomo Rappaccini
    I'd take HK in a heartbeat over Koba! He could out pace Koba in equal cars, drive more consistantly, and he is less prone to go Sato on the field! IMO
    I could not disagree more. Koba is a far better driver than HK
    HK drove a solid renault and a mclaren for 2 years. I bet you koba's record in those cars would have included more than one race win and being a dog in 75% of others
    you can't argue with results.

Quote Originally Posted by truefan72
    HK drove a solid renault and a mclaren for 2 years. I bet you koba's record in those cars would have included more than one race win and being a dog in 75% of others
    I'm honored to agree to disagree. tareup:

Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    I disagree. In 2007 he was better than Fisi - who had exponentially more experience (albeit a lot of testing miles under his belt).
    2008 wasn't bad, with a lot bad luck.
    In 2009 he was essentially Lewis' guinea pig. He never had a shot, he was there only to test the car out. He was significantly slower the whole year.
    Again in the Lotus/Catherham he has been the best driver.

Both are very good drivers, overall HK is the better driver.

In a perfect world, I would say both deserve a spot in a top team - if they both survive two more seasons in F1, it might just happen.

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    I agree.

I simply don't recognise this talk of Kobayashi being inconsistent or dangerous like Sato. His strength is his ability to reel off quick laps during the race and not letting anything compromise his strategy. He won't move an inch to defend his position if he's overtaken by a frontrunner but anyone racing against him for a similar points position will find him a real handful. He's been a real beast of a midfield driver and arguably the strongest one out there at the moment although Perez is excellent too.

HK has impressed against Trulli and Petrov, the former unable to be at his best unless the car is 100% to his liking and who made it clear he didn't like the Lotus and the latter being Petrov. I simply haven't seen anything that marks him out as anything special.

Massa was a recipient of a Sato-esque move from Koba seems like just 3 weeks ago

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    I like Koba-san, but I suspect this season is cementing his place in F1 as a driver, who at best can become a perennial midfielder. In 2009 and 2010 he impressed alongside veteran team-mates. But in 2012, just when it really matters in terms of future prospects, he is facing problems against a less (!) experienced team-mate.

When we compare him to Pérez, it has to be mentioned that the Mexican has suffered from lots of unluck this season as well, perhaps even more. Several qualifying sessions have hardly been representative with Pérez suffering some problems, so I don't think Koba is outperforming him in Q's.

Overall it is difficult to rate the car, which is obviously good, because we don't know, how fast these drivers really are. I would like to see some more consistency from everyone involved in the team though, including drivers. Of course it would help if they didn't suffer from some genuine unluck on several occasions, but this is such a topsy-turvy season that barely anyone manages to escape from some real setbacks...