Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 1,093 Times in 491 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    But I suppose it is an issue for broadcasters, they will likely have to provide a translation as it happens.
    Translation? During the 17 or so years I've followed F1 on TV, the only translations I've heard are brief summaries after the English comments. Really don't see an issue with it. The "big" nations might have some problems tho.
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    This deserves it's own thread. Good idea? Should all the races be like this?

Certainly the delay between podium and press conference often means TV stations focus elsewhere. I especially remember ITV (boo hiss) hardly ever showing the press conference at all.
    They made more of an effort than the BBC did.

IIRC it was the 1993/92 Belgian GP where they switched back to F1 coverage for the press conference only to find out it was being conducted in French and switched back to Grandstand studio! Bunch of amateurs!

And whilst ITV took F1 coverage to another level the consistency of post race TV coverage needed greater depth and quality.

Press conferences are always in English first and AFAIK drivers interviewed in their own language after that. That may continue but it's not like there isn't ample opportunity after the race for interviews especially if they go straight to interviews after the podium rather than being in the press conference.

But I suppose it is an issue for broadcasters, they will likely have to provide a translation as it happens.
    I question whether someone like JYS would be good choice? Is he up there on the podium in a corporate role or as a journalist?

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Yes, of course up until 1996 when they lost the coverage to ITV, BBC's pre and post race coverage wasn't fantastic. In fact you'd never usually see any presenters on camera, they would normally just go straight to the world feed and Murray Walker saying "Welcome to a sunny Silverstone".

ITV stepped it up but they did introduce adverts during the race, and the awful awful studio at the track with Jim Rosenthal. It was certainly an attempt to try and have football style punditry in F1 where it just doesn't fit. It was much better when Rosenthal was given the boot and Steve Rider was brought in and they started presenting from the paddock, although PC Blundell left a lot to be desired.

Essentially the format the BBC and Sky are using at the moment is the one ITV finally established during the last few years of their coverage, but BBC and Sky put a lot more effort into it. But lets not forget all the times ITV showed the race, had an advert, 10 minutes of wrap up - with no official interviews and then went off to show a repeat of 60 Minute Makeover or something.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    I question whether someone like JYS would be good choice? Is he up there on the podium in a corporate role or as a journalist?
    I think he was there in his capacity as three time World Champion and race winning team owner.

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Here's the thing...Were these interviews primarily for the benefit of TV or the crowd at the circuit?

I can't see the German crowd at the next GP being too happy about interviews being conducted in English if it's the latter, and will all drivers be expected to be multilingual in future in case they're on the podium?
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    2012 FIA Sporting Regulations
    Article 46.1

"The drivers finishing the race in 1st, 2nd and 3rd positions and a representative of the winning
    constructor must attend the prize‐giving ceremony on the podium and abide by the podium
    procedure set out in Appendix 3 (except Monaco); and immediately thereafter make
    themselves available for a period of one hour and 30 minutes for the purpose of television
    unilateral interviews and the press conference in the media centre.
    "
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Yes, of course up until 1996 when they lost the coverage to ITV, BBC's pre and post race coverage wasn't fantastic. In fact you'd never usually see any presenters on camera, they would normally just go straight to the world feed and Murray Walker saying "Welcome to a sunny Silverstone".

ITV stepped it up but they did introduce adverts during the race, and the awful awful studio at the track with Jim Rosenthal. It was certainly an attempt to try and have football style punditry in F1 where it just doesn't fit. It was much better when Rosenthal was given the boot and Steve Rider was brought in and they started presenting from the paddock, although PC Blundell left a lot to be desired.

Essentially the format the BBC and Sky are using at the moment is the one ITV finally established during the last few years of their coverage, but BBC and Sky put a lot more effort into it. But lets not forget all the times ITV showed the race, had an advert, 10 minutes of wrap up - with no official interviews and then went off to show a repeat of 60 Minute Makeover or something.
    I've still got taped races from the ITV era. In most instances it was about 3hrs and 10mins on a Sunday. If for whatever reason they couldn't show the press conference then at least they tried to grab interviews.

I think he was there in his capacity as three time World Champion and race winning team owner.
    If it was say Austria 2001 & 2002 how would he/one have handled it?

His recent defence of his Bahraini buddies were not fully appreciative.

Admin
    You raise a good point however that now the interviewer is going to be known too, rather than just a disembodied voice.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    ITV certainly raised the standard of coverage from the previous BBC era, and on their day they were fairly good. Their scheduling often let them down though, and the slightest delay (safety cars, poor weather) would see them scurry away almost as the chequered flag was waving. It was doubly bad on early evening races because heaven forbid they delay their precious soaps. Add to this their almost non-existent internet presence at the time and the total lack of red-button facilities, and the BBC had a fairly easy act to follow.

Much as we moaned about adverts, and much as we moan about subscriptions now, it's probably a good thing that the coverage occasionally switches channels as it forces all concerned to raise standards.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u