Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low Rev Driving

Liked 169 Times in 131 Posts

Low Rev Driving

Ok I'll try not to beat around the bush for once:

I've got a Silver Vauxhall Astra X Reg (2000). I wanna save fuel so I go round driving at low revs (like 1500-2000rpm). Trouble is, the car has been jolting at low revs recently, and now tonight on the way to Xscape at Milton Keynes the engine light has come on. It stayed on the whole way home too.

This looks like a problem with the ignition coil pack to me - I know that cos I've blown 2 before!

I'm just wondering does anyone know these things, cos I don't know very much... Do you think there is something about the way I'm driving that is causing my coil pack/spark plugs to overheat? Cos I read in the handbook years ago that 2000-2500rpm was recommended, but I do 1500-2000...
    SPAM - Going off topic to give you the deals you don't want.

Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts
    I'd see what the code is and maybe get a compression test. A friend of mine that works for BMW claims some cars he deals with have trouble with water in the cylinders because the motors aren't revved enough to cook it off.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    You might have also knackered the DMF (dual mass flywheel) too?

Simply keeping low revs isn't the full story. Especially if the engine is having to inject vast qualities of fuel to keep the engine turning under the load you are putting it.

I've been hypermiling for many months and the best way I've found by far to save fuel is to drive slower.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
    You can save on fuel by using the BUS,or by buying a car with a better MPG,and smaller engine.My Fiesta 1.8 diesel will do 60MPG even on driving tuition so consider a diesel car.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I actually save most of my fuel by using my bike for all short journeys - and even for journeys up to 20miles when I travel by myself.

But I do feel that the ignition coil pack has overheated again - the third time this has happened with me in a Vauxhall Astra. The symptoms are the jolting at low revs, especially in low gears, and that's exactly the symptoms I had before. But it always seems to be at high speed on the motorway/dual carriageway that the engine light has come on on the dash - and both times before it was on the M4 that the coil pack melted and broke down altogether...

Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
    |Get it plugged up to the computor,see what fault codes it comes up with ,other wise you are looking for a needle in a haystack !

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by driveace
    You can save on fuel by using the BUS,or by buying a car with a better MPG,and smaller engine.My Fiesta 1.8 diesel will do 60MPG even on driving tuition so consider a diesel car.
    Taking the bus will often cost more than the price of fuel. So would be pointless.

I think you guys are both right. Sadly I'm disappointed that with the Vauxhall Astra I can drive in 5th gear at 30mph as long as I have good momentum. The trouble is that is the highest gear, so it's the same one you use for 70mph!! Oh what a waste of fuel! Yeah I actually wanted an LPG car.

60mpg - Wow!
    Yeah the bus is expensive! But the trains were a shock. Having not used one for years, I found out a single ticket from Reading to Port Talbot is £55, and £110 return. I actually thought it was a WEEKLY ticket!

Quote Originally Posted by driveace
    |Get it plugged up to the computor,see what fault codes it comes up with ,other wise you are looking for a needle in a haystack !
    Oh I think I saw someone do that once. How do you get one of those computers...?

Admin
    I try to save as much fuel as possible on my 35 mile drive to work. I usually get low 70's MPG. But I've been known to get over 80MPG on a good run

1.6TDCi Fiesta.