Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking to get into motorsport? Help Please

Hello, I am wanting to get into rallying but not quite sure how I would go about it and what the best way would be.

I am 17 year old any help would be greatly appriciated .

What is the best way way for me to start, what do I need to start and how do I enter rally's etc,

Thanks

Liked 31 Times in 23 Posts
    I would suggest you start by joining a local motor club that is involved in rallying; if you tell us where in the country you are somebody may be able to suggest a suitable club. Joing a club will enable you to meet people who compete and to go out marshalling to understand how things work. To enter a stage rally you will need to pass a BARS driving test. This isn't difficult but it is intended to demonstarte that you have a basic knowledge of the sport (eg what the various signs at the side of a rally stage mean) and that you have a basic level of competence and responsibility behind the wheel. To get started on that process you will need to buy a Go allying starter pack from the MSA (the national governing body for motorsport in the UK) see Rallying, Go Motorsport, Ambassadors, Go Drive. Once you have a licence you can either hire a rally prepared car from various places, buy an already prepared car or (I certainly wouldn't advise this for a beginner) prepare your own car.
    Tynemouth Computer Services http://www.tynecomp.co.uk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    thanks for the reply, I am Near Leeds in west yorkshire, The only local club I know about is the Delacy Motorsport Club not sure if there are others, I am thinking of doing the formula 1000 to start with as it seems the cheepest option

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    does anyone now what minimum safety i would need e.g roll cage, fire extinguisher etc, and do i need a co driver if i was to do th formula 1000

thanks

p.s

What would be an ideal car for the 1.0 formula 1000 i have been looking at either nissan micra, peugeot 106 or a citreon saxo

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Not sure on minimum safety without checking the 'Blue Book', certainly roll cage and fire extinguisher though. All stage rallying requires a co-driver, if there's no one you know that wants to do it then forums and motor clubs are a good starting point.

Think that Micras are quite popular in Formula 1000, although you may want to try a season doing something like hillclimbing or sprinting first so that you get an idea if it's the hobby for you. The advantages of hillclimbing over rallying are:
    1)You can use any road car (cages not mandatory) provided it has a valid MOT and the right tyres (from a selected list)
    2)The license doesn't require you to pass a test, therefore cheaper.
    3)You don't need a service crew/person
    4)You don't need a co-driver
    5)Entry fees are cheaper
    6)Preparation of the car isn't as rigourous

It's by no means a replacement for rallying, but it would give you a cheaper entry into motorsport and give you a better idea of what's involved.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thank you that is something i will look into would be great to get some expirience,

thank you all for reply's great help and really appriciated

Quote Originally Posted by wardy941
    thanks for the reply, I am Near Leeds in west yorkshire,
    You are spoilt for choice; in addition to De Lacy ones that come to mind are Ilkley and District MC, Trackrod MC, Wakefield and DMC, Slaithwaite Motor Club, Airedale and Pennine and I am sure there are others. Perhaps go along to one or two different clubs and see which suits you.

I am thinking of doing the formula 1000 to start with as it seems the cheepest option
    Sounds sensible although an alternative would be to get involved in local single venue events with a basic car to get some experience. formula 1000 will involve a fair bit of travelling.

Quote Originally Posted by wardy941
    does anyone now what minimum safety i would need e.g roll cage, fire extinguisher etc, and do i need a co driver if i was to do th formula 1000
    Yes you will need a roll cage, plumbed in fire extinguishers, proper seats and belts, crash helmet, cut off switch, mud flaps etc. You can read the regulations atLink to MSA Blue Book. I will say again far and away the best thing to do would be to buy a car that has already been prepared and has the necessary MSA Competition logbook. Yes you will need a co-driver. The best way might be to find someone local to you who would help with preparing the car etc.
    What would be an ideal car for the 1.0 formula 1000 i have been looking at either nissan micra, peugeot 106 or a citreon saxo
    They sound sensible ideas but my advice is to go along to a Formula 1000 event and talk to the drivers. People will be give you lots of advice.