Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunday Shopping

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts

Sunday Shopping

(Thanks Donks : )

Simple question really, are shops open on Sundays in your country/state/province/city/hamlet?
    Are there any other days of the week where shopping is restricted? What are the typical store hours?

Pretty much 7 days per week around here. I think shops are closed only on Christmas day.
    Banks are closed on weekends though, as are perhaps some “specialty” stores.
    Shops typically open at 9:00am and close at 9:00pm.
    All far more than schmenke needs
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Pretty much 7 days a week here also. Grocery stores and supermarkets mostly open at 9 am and close at 10 pm, speciality stores at 10 am and 9 pm. Public holidays generally bring shorter hours.

No complaints.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    In Germany, a few small shops are permitted to open on Sundays, and there are certain occasions during the year when it is generally permitted here in Berlin (I assume this goes for other cities as well) especially in the run-up to Christmas, but one would never describe it as Sunday trading as I know it from the UK, where pretty much everything is open seven days a week. I can get by, but it does require a certain degree of meal planning.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Very few shops open on Sunday in Austria, only family owned shops where only family members work.
    This is to protect the employee from being forced to work on Sundays. Also Saturdays almost all shops close at 18:00.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    In England & Wales shops can open for 6 hours on a Sunday if their floor space is above 280sq mtrs. Typically this means opening 10-4 for supermarkets and 11-5 for other shops. Smaller 'corner shop' size establishments can open as long as they like.

No opening at all is permitted on Christmas Day or Easter Sunday.

Scotland has unrestricted hours.

Not sure what Northern Ireland is like but I was surprised to arrive in Belfast at 11am and find everything closed.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Where I grew up, we had "Blue Laws". It wasn't legal to sell alcohol or anything that could be used to do labor (drills, tools, etc.). I remember a local store getting fined for selling an extension cord. I think some parts of the south still have Blue Laws. But many communities have now been taken over by Walmart, so these days laws are decided by the Walmart headquarters. As far as I know, there is no law (state or federal) that prohibits a store from being open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

It's interesting to see that there are still similar laws in other countries though.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    In the England the government is going to relax the Sunday trading laws for 8 weeks over Summer because of the Olympics.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    In England & Wales shops can open for 6 hours on a Sunday if their floor space is above 280sq mtrs. Typically this means opening 10-4 for supermarkets and 11-5 for other shops. Smaller 'corner shop' size establishments can open as long as they like.

No opening at all is permitted on Christmas Day or Easter Sunday.

Scotland has unrestricted hours.

Not sure what Northern Ireland is like but I was surprised to arrive in Belfast at 11am and find everything closed.
    You can still buy most things from garages/service stations in the middle of the night even on christmas - I bought a pair of wooly gloves and a pie at 9pm last christmas
    Ha'wey Hamilton, bring the WDC crown home and the beers are on me :up:

Quote Originally Posted by tfp
    You can still buy most things from garages/service stations in the middle of the night even on christmas - I bought a pair of wooly gloves and a pie at 9pm last christmas
    As gifts or for yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    In the England the government is going to relax the Sunday trading laws for 8 weeks over Summer because of the Olympics.
    Yes, so I see. What joy that will bring.