Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Koz
    Bad time for NZ now. Winter is coming, so all you'll be doing is getting wet.
    Good time would be October to Feb.

Auckland is pretty boring, I can't think of much to do or see around there. It depends on what you want to see, how much time you will spend there etc. The further south you go the more there is to see and do.

As far as 40 hours of travelling... Why don't you have a stop over in Singapore or Thailand etc. for a few days on your way to Aus/NZ??
    I was thinking about going there during September, as my next terms starts by then, so I wouldn't have to catch up much in my studies. Missing October or No avember would be a bigger problem, as it would mean missing three or four weeks of class, which isn't good at all, specially considering that I'll be doing an internship by then. I was thinking about travelling to Auckland for the first three weeks of September. I'm supposed to be doing an English course for at least three weeks - otherwise,the Spanish government wouldn't give me a scholarship, which I'll definitely need if I'm going there.

If Auckland is such a boring place, then I'll have to look for something else, just in case. However, I understand that New Zealand is a beautiful country to visit, so even if there's not much to do, I'm sure that I'll still be able to have a great time.

Oh, and thanks a lot for your opinion!

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13
    If Auckland is such a boring place, !

According to the locals, there are sheep........
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13
    If Auckland is such a boring place, then I'll have to look for something else, just in case. However, I understand that New Zealand is a beautiful country to visit, so even if there's not much to do, I'm sure that I'll still be able to have a great time.

Oh, and thanks a lot for your opinion!
    Can you do a course outside Auckland?
    Is Palmerston North an option? It's more depressing than Auckland (to live in) but being a university town at the centre of the country means there is way more do see and do thereabouts.

Maybe I missed it, but how long do you intend to be on this study-holiday?

Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janvanvurpa
    According to the locals, there are sheep........
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMe-AP1wHeA

Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
    You don't state what types of things you like to do.
    Auckland - accommodation is a bit stretched at the moment due to migration within New Zealand due to the Christchurch Earthquakes and other reasons.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqomsIuYSG0

I would suggest options in Australia - Gold Coast - (you might end up in a class with Russian 'mail' order brides), #1 Brisbane, or Perth. (Probably more to do in Queensland than Western Australia) - Barrier Reef visits, Super Car team workshops, etc) Sydney and Melbourne can be cooler in September.

Is Florida, USA - an option ? Miami or St Petersburg -

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Humber
    You don't state what types of things you like to do.
    Auckland - accommodation is a bit stretched at the moment due to migration within New Zealand due to the Christchurch Earthquakes and other reasons.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqomsIuYSG0

I would suggest options in Australia - Gold Coast - (you might end up in a class with Russian 'mail' order brides), #1 Brisbane, or Perth. (Probably more to do in Queensland than Western Australia) - Barrier Reef visits, Super Car team workshops, etc) Sydney and Melbourne can be cooler in September.

Is Florida, USA - an option ? Miami or St Petersburg -
    Thanks for your interest - but I guess that I'll be staying with a local family. I'll be doing an English course, and most schools offer students the possibility to live with local families. It might not be the cheapest option, but it's certainly a great choice if I want to improve my English!

Anyway, Australia looks like a great destination as well, so I'm not really sure. But from what I've heard, if I were to take a course in the US, I'd need a student visa, and the procedures for getting that aren't quite simple. In fact, I believe that I'd need to go to Madrid, but it turns out that I live in the Canary Islands, so it's not that the US Embassy is right next to my place.

Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts
    One small additional note in favor of Canada (and the US, though I understand it's not so easy) is that we all drive on the right side of the road and you're less likely to get hit at the crosswalks.

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    I'd say your written English is better than a lot of native speakers I've seen here and elsewhere!
    Certainly better than mine !!
    Obama to Biden - "Let the Welfare checks rain upon the Earth - I am going to a barbecue"

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    Vancouver has about 3 months of decent weather. But even then it can be quite cool in the night. During the 3 months Vancouver is spectacular. Montreal is also a pretty city and much fun during race week. Many of us have visions of visiting New Zealand. I am into fly fishing and New Zealand is one of the premier places.
    Obama to Biden - "Let the Welfare checks rain upon the Earth - I am going to a barbecue"

Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
    One of the worst things about OZ is the fact that the disatances between towns can be at least an hours travelling We are just back from our 4th OZ trip to my daughters in Warwick,nearest town is Stanthorpe,over 60 k away and Toowoomba 100k ,Brisbane 140k,and the speed limit on most roads is 60MPH (100k),AND I have NEVER seen as many road works in my life !!!