Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts

2012 Australian Grand Prix Thread - Official

I could not wait any longer, it must be time to open up the first Race thread of the season and start discussing the season opener.

So who do you think will be fast at Albert Park?
    Who will falter?
    Which rookies will shock us? and which will dissapoint?

And how will the race go?

What do you think. I can't wait.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Crazy predicition....

We will see 9 finishers only.

With Carterham scoring their 1st point.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    My crazy predictions..

Vettel bogs down at the start then wipes out Rosberg and Alonso at the first corner.. The Merc looks very quick, Schumacher leads for most of the race until he has a gearbox problem and falls back. Fellipe clashes with Lewis again and limps home last..

1. Button
    2. Webber
    3. Hamilton
    4. Di Resta
    5. Schumacher
    6. Kimi
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    According to Formula1.com, there's a chance of rain on Friday and Sunday. What about waiting until Malaysia to find out the pecking order?

Anyway, from what I've seen on various sites, rain doesn't seem to be very likely. But I'd be great to have a wet race in Oz - something like the 2011 Canadian GP again.

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    I think Webber will cock it up at his home GP, as usual. : On the other hand, I think Kimi will pleasently surprise us all with a podium finish.

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Apologies for sounding like a prude, but having followed the sport for over 20 years, I have never before felt such a lack of anticipation and enthusiasm for a season opener .
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by schmenke
    Apologies for sounding like a prude, but having followed the sport for over 20 years, I have never before felt such a lack of anticipation and enthusiasm for a season opener .
    Why is that?

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    How will the race go? Well, looking at the past we can have a relatively calm race without much happening (2004, 2007, 2011) or a more chaotic race, which can bring us even a slightly unexpected race order. Hard to predict, which one will it be this time.

Looking at some trends at Albert Park, I'm wondering whether Webber is finally able to actually beat his best result so far (5th), achieved in Minardi! : Last year he was just slow, on other occasions has had an accident (09, 10) or a car problem (06) preventing him from getting higher.

Quote Originally Posted by aki13
    So who do you think will be fast at Albert Park?
    Hmm... let's say a Vettel-Hamilton front row. If qualifying is wet, Button may well end up on top of the timesheets too, which would make Sunday more exciting. From my recollection Rosberg has often been a factor at Albert Park, especially if there is attrition. Finished on the podium in 2008, was a contender in 2009 before tyres fell apart. So if Mercedes is good and there is some mess in the race, he is my tip for a lower podium spot.

I remember, how last year Sauber achieved an impressive result (until DSQ!) with a good strategy. Perhaps particularly Pérez can get some points - even if he doesn't qualify into Top10, he would improve in race trim.

Melbourne could be one of the better chances for Caterham to open its point-score. On average Albert Park tends to offer more retirements and messier races than many other circuits. Also teams/drivers are still 'green' and more prone to mistakes after freshly starting a new season.

Who will falter?
    Webber is the safest bet! : Also I must add that Michael Schumacher has lost his front wing in Turn 1 for two years in a row. So this is something he must watch out for really carefully this time!

Which rookies will shock us? and which will dissapoint?
    Although not a complete rookie, Grosjean to get into Q3, especially if Lotus is as good as expected. It would be really impressive if he can qualify into Top6! Looking forward to it though. Still remembering, how Petrov qualified 6th last year and went on to do even better in the race, forcing F1 world take notice.

Hülkenberg can give a good comeback impression as well, also Q3 and points contention.

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by studiose
    Why is that?
    My enthusiasm for the sport has waned considerably in the last couple of years, mostly due to a variety of reasons:

Primarily because of the direction that the technical regulations have taken, introducing gimmicks in an effort to enable a more exciting “show”. Introducing the flappy rear wing to ease overtaking was the last straw for me. A purist at heart, I prefer to see drivers showcase their skill and experience on track and not having to rely on artificial gimmicks to provide contrived superiority over other drivers.

Every season I used to crave the new technological advances conceived and implemented by teams. This is (was?) a very big attraction of F1 to me. However, over the years the suppression of technical innovation has led to an almost “spec” sport. Severe restraints on car design, components, engine homologation, etc. have all limited innovative designs. I cringe now ever time a team manages to introduce a new techno-tidbit other teams cry foul and the FIA quickly declare it illegal .

The elimination of tire wars has contributed to more stale racing. Previously, a variety of tire manufacturers, not to mention tire selection, allowed for diversity in race setups and strategies, increasing the overall racing excitement.

New venues with sterile circuits diminishes the attraction to me, especially the proliferation of street circuits which I find provide little visual stimulation.

Although I likely will maintain a minimal interest, I foresee this season the culmination of my tedium with the sport

Sigh... you asked studiose :
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by schmenke
    Sigh... you asked studiose :
    I did indeed. And I agree with most of your criticism. Nevertheless, I find myself more excited than in a good long while at the prospect of watching F1 again. Don't know why.