Page 61 of 97 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post
    He also got a big fat contract and Redgrey running the wrc2 Hyundais.
    I remember reading that financially the Hyundai deal wasn't as good as Toyota...but these things we never know for sure. RedGrey is another thing though.

2. Likes: cali (14th January 2022)
    Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post
    He also got a big fat contract and Redgrey running the wrc2 Hyundais.

So not quite as cut and dry as either "he was overconfident/ or he hated the Toyota atmosphere". Lots of reasons combined would've resulted in him switching teams, including the above.

There were a hell of a lot of people on here, including myself, who were sure it wasn't a good move from a purely sporting sense, and that's been the case. He'd probably be a triple world champion by now had he stayed at Toyota (as Ogier wouldn't be in the Toyota had Ott not left the team).
    Dunno how big or fat the contract was but they were able to keep their business going

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Liked 491 Times in 189 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    I want to believe him but I think he still attended some tests just before and/or after Monza?
    Yes, he did. Also in the interview he said he said that the first talks to miss the rally were held during the simulation rally that was in the end of October so about one month before the rally. But anyway, I take his word for it and have made peace with it long time ago and hopefully all is okay with him and his family.

My personal opinion why Ott left Toyota was that he was fed up with the atmosphere in the team and how much he has a say on different topics in the team. We can remember clearly that he was very frustrated about how certain things that were discussed about didn't improve (rims, floor). So maybe Adamo came in the right time and said who he is and how things are going to be in the team. If something needs to be done, then it will be done. And if one person in WRC has some track record, then it is Adamo. Maybe it is the beautiful past but if I remember correctly then Hyundai was becoming stronger and stronger and the pattern in Toyota was that if he can't have a say about different development things then soon Hyundai will pass them. Although in the end, Toyota repaired some of the mistakes, then maybe Ott felt that it was too much of a push to get things done and chose other path. And if we take Ott's word for it then he lost financially with the decision.

Sadly Hyundai also started to fall apart too much when Ott came as he made changes to get the car faster and more to his liking. In the interview he said it himself that the car wasn't designed to go that fast. And sometimes they had to take a step back to make some parts stronger (=heavier) and this reduced the speed. And like someone here said that with the new car he feels that all the mistakes are now ironed out and now they have wider window where they can operate and set things up.

5. Likes: cali (14th January 2022)
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_right View Post
    Yes, he did. Also in the interview he said he said that the first talks to miss the rally were held during the simulation rally that was in the end of October so about one month before the rally. But anyway, I take his word for it and have made peace with it long time ago and hopefully all is okay with him and his family.

My personal opinion why Ott left Toyota was that he was fed up with the atmosphere in the team and how much he has a say on different topics in the team. We can remember clearly that he was very frustrated about how certain things that were discussed about didn't improve (rims, floor). So maybe Adamo came in the right time and said who he is and how things are going to be in the team. If something needs to be done, then it will be done. And if one person in WRC has some track record, then it is Adamo. Maybe it is the beautiful past but if I remember correctly then Hyundai was becoming stronger and stronger and the pattern in Toyota was that if he can't have a say about different development things then soon Hyundai will pass them. Although in the end, Toyota repaired some of the mistakes, then maybe Ott felt that it was too much of a push to get things done and chose other path. And if we take Ott's word for it then he lost financially with the decision.

Sadly Hyundai also started to fall apart too much when Ott came as he made changes to get the car faster and more to his liking. In the interview he said it himself that the car wasn't designed to go that fast. And sometimes they had to take a step back to make some parts stronger (=heavier) and this reduced the speed. And like someone here said that with the new car he feels that all the mistakes are now ironed out and now they have wider window where they can operate and set things up.
    Just to remind what I have been heard that he was part of the problems and many times the cause of conflicts at Toyota. I was able to press that out but my source didn't give me any details beyond that.

As far as I understand Tommi didn't want him to leave....

IMHO we have drifted too far to the past now and are bit off the track so this is my last post about that Subject.

Last edited by cali; 14th January 2022 at 09:34.

7. Likes: flat_right (14th January 2022)
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    His own words were that when he saw Neuville fighting with him in GB 2019 he got convinced that the Hyundai is a winning car and (finally?) decided to leave.

Surely some reflection on that would be in order.
    Maybe to you, most of us are at peace with this topic

Liked 2,139 Times in 932 Posts
    Third season(starting) in Hyundai and still some people over again.. Oh, why he left Toyota? Why didn't continue? Must be money.. yada yada

10. Likes: cali (14th January 2022)
    Liked 491 Times in 189 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cali View Post
    Just to remind what I have been heard that he was part of the problems and many times the cause of conflicts at Toyota. I was able to press that out but my source didn't give me any details beyond that.

As far as I understand Tommi didn't want him to leave....
    I can see that but usually there are both sides in every conflict. If Ott felt that nothing wasn't done to improve situation and problems still exist then he had to be the one who asks why certain things are not progressing. And if someone felt that he is conflict initiator in these situations then it is their choice. Ott has said it many times that it is never personal, he just wants things done. So if we look like this that in Hyundai Adamo was the one who was pushing things (also said this in this interview) then one can again see why he might have left. Maybe in Toyota everyone were too soft and polite.

Yes, I also agree that too much of the past and would rather discuss current things.

12. Likes: cali (14th January 2022)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    I think the leadership and atmosphere in the team was also one of the reasons why Lappi left the team for 2019...and now he came back after some changes in the leadership.

14. Likes: cali (14th January 2022),EstWRC (14th January 2022)
    Liked 93 Times in 48 Posts
    I remember reading that financially the Hyundai deal wasn't as good as Toyota...
    He said itself it in some Estonian interview that he lost a lot of money going to Hyundai. Just on driver`s contract.

16. Likes: AnttiL (14th January 2022)
    Liked 93 Times in 48 Posts
    I think the leadership and atmosphere in the team was also one of the reasons why Lappi left the team for 2019...and now he came back after some changes in the leadership.
    +1

18. Likes: EstWRC (14th January 2022)