Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight
    Well, I think that’s his point, isn’t it?

I see the point that Domenicali is trying to make but it’s a bit of a nothing statement and I don’t agree with it. From all I’ve heard about Seb and the way he works he is very much a team leader. He demands exactly what it is that he wants behind closed doors by all accounts. Any successful drivers must be like this. They must be selfish and get what they want to succeed and Seb is bearing the fruits of his hard work and team leadership at the moment.

I think the point that Domenicali was trying to make is that he doesn’t stick out and dominate his teammates like Schumacher did at Ferrari, or Alonso did at Renault when he won his two world titles and is currently doing at Ferrari. Either way he is wrong because Seb has definitely dealt with Webber this year in a very certain manner and I foresee him continuing to do so too.

This is one area, among a few, that Hamilton needs to become stronger. Currently I feel that McLaren are leading him. He needs to be more independent and make his own decisions. McLaren have proved they are weak as a team in the strategy department at times. It’s an area they need to improve on if they are to become champions again. Hamilton also needs to improve on this bigtime, as seen in Hungary. He needs to become more independent like Button and be able to judge conditions for himself. While Hamilton is quicker than his teammate, Button has no qualms staying out and judging the situation on his own and refusing a team call to pit him, as witnessed in China last year, if he believes it would not be to his benefit. I can’t ever remember as situation where Hamilton did this.
    I don't agree. A good example of what you call leading is Mika Häkkinen who did what Mclaren wanted him to do and he won to WDCs. He never questioned their choices.

Quote Originally Posted by 52Paddy
    If a driver has such an influence on a team, so as the team gear themselves around that driver's needs, then surely you can consider that driver a team leader. Schumacher had Ferrari catering for his every need during his stint with the team and Barrichello was the rear-gunner. Mansell had a similar effect on the Williams team in 91/92. How many times did we see a Barrichello-esque Patrese wave Mansell through?

It's not just world champions either. While I can't think of a certain example off hand, I'm sure Minardi bent over backwards for the loyal Pier-Luigi Martini during his many stints with the team.
    My point is that you do not need a team leader to win championships, in fact in the long run two good drivers like Button and Hamilton will bring more success (championship points) than concentrating on drivers such as Lewis/ Alonso and letting these Kovys and Massas run with the leftovers. Schumi is an obviously exception to that.
    “Leave me alone!”

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DexDexter
    I don't agree. A good example of what you call leading is Mika Häkkinen who did what Mclaren wanted him to do and he won to WDCs. He never questioned their choices.

Quote Originally Posted by 52Paddy
    If a driver has such an influence on a team, so as the team gear themselves around that driver's needs, then surely you can consider that driver a team leader. Schumacher had Ferrari catering for his every need during his stint with the team and Barrichello was the rear-gunner. Mansell had a similar effect on the Williams team in 91/92. How many times did we see a Barrichello-esque Patrese wave Mansell through?

It's not just world champions either. While I can't think of a certain example off hand, I'm sure Minardi bent over backwards for the loyal Pier-Luigi Martini during his many stints with the team.
    My point is that you do not need a team leader to win championships, in fact in the long run two good drivers like Button and Hamilton will bring more success than concentrating on drivers such as Lewis/ Alonso and letting these Kovys and Massas run with the leftovers. Schumi is an obviously excpetion to that.
    “Leave me alone!”

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    in the long run two good drivers like Button and Hamilton will bring more success (championship points) than concentrating on drivers such as Lewis/ Alonso and letting these Kovys and Massas run with the leftovers. Schumi is an obviously exception to that.
    But will it bring the championships that the team is in the sport to win?

LH/FA, RS/JPM, NM/NP and AP/NM suggest otherwise.....
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    SD has never worked one-to-one with Seb or was he hearing paddock gossip?

IMO judging by the radio excerpts after the chequered flag Vettel sounds like a team leader who built up a strong relationship with team members.

Some years ago Paul Di Resta remarked in Autosport how in Euro F3 Vettel made an effort to build a strong team around him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight
    This is one area, among a few, that Hamilton needs to become stronger. Currently I feel that McLaren are leading him. He needs to be more independent and make his own decisions. McLaren have proved they are weak as a team in the strategy department at times. It’s an area they need to improve on if they are to become champions again. Hamilton also needs to improve on this bigtime, as seen in Hungary. He needs to become more independent like Button and be able to judge conditions for himself. While Hamilton is quicker than his teammate, Button has no qualms staying out and judging the situation on his own and refusing a team call to pit him, as witnessed in China last year, if he believes it would not be to his benefit. I can’t ever remember as situation where Hamilton did this.
    Strategy/racecraft - that is more internal, micro elements of driving and the decision making.

Leadership is the external. First and foremost you need to be super quick backed up with results, coupled that with winning mentality instilled with a strong working relationship with team personnel.

Going through a blip doesn't necessarily make you a bad leader, as Alonso proved and Rob Smedley testified last year.

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    LOL what a fool
    I agree :
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Are we talking about the same Domenicali who's quoted in this article Domenicali says Ferrari is building an 'unbeatable structure' - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com ?

Quote Originally Posted by SD on autosport.com
    "[Jean] Todt won a lot, but he had time to build a winning team with extraordinary balance. I aim to do the same and am optimistic about the future.

"With this Red Bull... I may sound crazy, but I'm convinced we are building the basis to have an unbeatable structure. With a warning though: no lone men at the helm, like Red Bull with Newey, but a team.

He added: "Ferrari is condemned to win: in our history we'll never be allowed to smile for a second place."
    Todt built the greatest team and the fools LdM with Stefano destroyed it and now are claiming they can do the same.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Does crying in the bushes help with leading a team?
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    Does crying in the bushes help with leading a team?
    I did something since the guy won a lot of races and is still well-liked by the team. You're obviously just looking for an argument sunshine. I won't take the bait though.
    “Leave me alone!”

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    My point is that you do not need a team leader to win championships
    Agreed. I didn't dispute that.

in fact in the long run two good drivers like Button and Hamilton will bring more success (championship points) than concentrating on drivers such as Lewis/ Alonso and letting these Kovys and Massas run with the leftovers. Schumi is an obviously exception to that.
    Agreed also with regard to the constructor's title (this is assuming that variables, like both drivers taking each other out of the race regularly, don't occur). Not quite the same with regard to the driver's title, given that such a situation will result in driver's taking points off each other. Anyway, I'm not disputing your points - I'm just saying that some drivers can lead a team in the right direction. If that is at the expense of the other driver then that's unfortunate but perhaps this is a comfort zone for most teams to be in, if their respective drivers are happy.
    Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    best drivers in F1
    alonso
    hamilton
    seb

what is so hard about this. Currently there are no drivers that will displace these three.
    Obama to Biden - "Let the Welfare checks rain upon the Earth - I am going to a barbecue"