Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 LastLast

Thread: F1 going to Sky

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    There is some hope that I can cope with this and it depends if the BBC are allowed to show full race re-runs and are able to choose which races they show live.

If the BBC are clever then they will show re-runs of the early morning races. This way many of us can watch them after we have cured our Sunday morning hangovers.

11/03 BHR Bahrain
    18/03 AUS Australia ------- Re-run at midday
    01/04 MYS Malaysia-------- Re-run at midday
    08/04 CHN China------------ Re -run at midday
    22/04 KOR Korea------------ Re-run at midday
    20/05 ESP Spain
    27/05 MCO Monaco ---------- Live on BBC
    10/06 CAN Canada------------ Live on BBC
    17/06 USA United States-------Live on BBC

01/07 ESP Valencia, Spain
    15/07 GBR Great Britain ------- Live on BBC
    29/07 DEU Germany ------------ Live on BBC

05/08 HUN Hungary
    02/09 BEL Belgium-------------- Live on BBC
    09/09 ITA Italy -----------------Live on BBC

30/09 SGP Singapore
    14/10 JPN Japan ---------------Re-run at midday
    28/10 IND India ----------------Re-run at midday
    11/11 ARE Abu Dhabi
    25/11 BRA Brazil --------------Live on BBC

I've highlighted 8 races that the BBC must show live and marked the early morning races that are best suited to a re-run.

I'm not too bothered about Bahrain, Spain, Valencia, Hungary, Singapore and Abu Dhabi. Two of them can be live, but highlights are usually enough for those races.
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    I'm fortunate enough to have Sky Sports so will be able to watch all F1 races live, but if I did not I suspect my interest in watching the highlights after the event would suffer as much as my enjoyment of NASCAR has.

Sky had NASCAR live last year, but dropped that for hour long highlights on the Monday evenings after the race. Almost inevitably during the course of Monday I will, accidentally, see the result simply because I keep up with motorsport news generally.

Once you know the result the sense of anticipation and excitement of what's going to happen, who will be challenging and who will win, will be lost and half the time I don't get around to watching the highlights because of that. Not only that, but by watching the live event you pick up on snippets of news and information that add to your interest so that interest in what's going on around the sport can fade.

When, in the 1970's & 80's, all we had was half-hour highlights of the F1 races it didn't matter so much because that was the only option available to us!
    The Hungarian GP was a wonderful example of a race whereby highlights wouldn't do the race justice because of the complexity of race strategy.

Highlights of the 1993 European GP is up on the Beeb's website and I remember watching that for the first time in ages it felt unsatisfactory.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Yes, this is the point, you might think there is nothing happening in a race but there is the tension building of can the driver build up enough gap for a pit stop, how are they managing the tyres etc
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    I'm sure we've all had the scenario where we've missed the live showing of a really great race and had to make do with the highlights. It's never the same - no matter how good the action was. It just doesn't cut it. Fingers crossed it's full race re-runs we will be getting.
    Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Its a sad day fir F1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    100,000 signatures and it gets debated in parliament, may be as much use as a chocolate teapot but worth a try I suppose: Keep Formula 1 Free To Air in the UK - e-petitions
    :up: :D

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    The cabinet office have already indicated that the F1 decision is not up for debate.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave B
    The cabinet office have already indicated that the F1 decision is not up for debate.
    I think this is right, whilst I don't like the fact that F1 is going to Sky, it's NOT something which should be debated in parliament, though I do feel that perhaps feel that there should be a review of how the BBC chooses what to show and how much to bid or spend on a program. IMHO the BBC should focus on content which can be sold on elsewhere in the world. The quality of British TV in the 80's and 90's was legendary and back in Australia I would say that most tv which wasn't Australian made was British back in the 80's and this tailed off in the 90's somewhat.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    I think this is right, whilst I don't like the fact that F1 is going to Sky, it's NOT something which should be debated in parliament, though I do feel that perhaps feel that there should be a review of how the BBC chooses what to show and how much to bid or spend on a program.
    I think there is a case for debating whether the political decision to spend £900 million on relocating BBC staff and facilities to Salford was to the benefit or detriment of the licence fee payer.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL
    I think there is a case for debating whether the political decision to spend £900 million on relocating BBC staff and facilities to Salford was to the benefit or detriment of the licence fee payer.
    Certainly.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.