Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    hasn't the US military started using metric? I remember seeing it some recent shows regarding m and km.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    I have never understood why this matters so much. I think of some things in imperial and others in metric. In fact, I can't think of any instances where the fact of two systems still existing has caused confusion.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rah
    hasn't the US military started using metric? I remember seeing it some recent shows regarding m and km.
    I think they always have? I've seen many a Vietnam film where they talk about 'clicks', meaning kilometres.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rah
    The US Army began its initial move towards going metric as a result of its experience in the Great War (WW I), but following WW II it was decided to make the conversion to metric as soon as possible. By the end of the Korean War and the early Fifties, the process was in place regarding such items as ordnance, maps, and many other items. The large US presence in Asia (Japan and Korea) and Europe (and the need to adopt to NATO standardization) ensured that the process succeeded. Yes, in Viet-Nam we thought in metric, with meters (mikes) and kilometers (klicks) being how distances were measured. At US bases that are OCONUS (Outside the Continental United States), metric is now the standard for vehicle speeds and so forth.
    Popular memory is not history.... -- Gordon Wood