Page 2 of 107 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    First stage is run underground? in tunnels?
    This engine sound would be greate!

Quote Originally Posted by rallyfiend
    No Kimi.

His experience last year must have really put him off!
    Does Kimi do manufactuere championships aswell? this list is manufacture championships only.

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Not to start it all over again, just ignore.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rallyfan+
    First stage is run underground? in tunnels?
    This engine sound would be greate!
    Yeah, the SS1 will be run in the former mines of Guanajuato... take a look to Google Street View! =)

Liked 3,802 Times in 1,690 Posts
    Here you can find some pictures and videos from this tunnel - http://www.autosport.cz/clanek.php?cl=11493 (article was written 1,5 months ago)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugenio Perea
    Hi, there's some info here http://www.rallymexico.com/content.p...=opening_stage but nothing you might call 'detailed', yet. What exactly did you want to know? Perhaps I can help.

Cheers,

Eugenio Perea
    Communications
    Rally Mexico
    I'd like to know exactly where the underground stage will pass... I saw on Google StreetView that there are some places quite narrow!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    some hints from my side (was there in 2007):

- if you plan to go from Mexico City to Lčon, it´s about 3 hours driving - try to stay South of Lčon during the event (near Poliforum)
    - Shakedown: good place to watch cars would be from village center ´San Juan de Otates´about 1km in direction to finish - left downhill to right uphill junction
    - be in Guanjuato in time - we were there 2 hours before, but already too late - roads are very confusing and crowded there
    - enjoy Rally Mexico: very friendly people, good beer, good steaks - what do you want more ;-)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It starts right in front of the Alhóndiga, where the Ceremonial Start usually is (or the 2nd stop of the Ceremonial Start, rather. It changes from year to year). It goes directly into the tunnels right there, and yes, it's narrow : ) It's going to be LOUD.
    Eugenio Perea - Communications - Rally Mexico
    www.twitter.com/eperea

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rallyfan+
    Does Kimi do manufactuere championships aswell? this list is manufacture championships only.
    Kimi Raikkonen/ ICE 1 racing is a manufacturer entry, but Mexico/Argentina /Australia are not on his kalender. And still no Petter Solberg (World Rally Team) in the manufacturer entry?!
    R.I.P. all WRC heroes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hello Olschl

Im not from the Guanajuato area but I´ve been to the rally 6 times and I am mexican so I know my way around quite well.

Getting into Leon is quite easy, as someone else mentioned there is a direct flight from houston with continental, also I think there is one from Dallas with American Airlines but Im not sure if its still running. You can also fly to Mexico City and then drive (4 hours) or fly to Guadalajara and then drive to Leon (about 2 hours). I would not recommend driving all the way from the US right now, It would take you at least a day and roads are quite dangerous at the moment up north, so I would say no.

On accomodation, I've tried different things during the years but I find it better, cheaper and nicer to stay near the town centre. Hotels near the polyfirum (service park) get booked months in advance and even if you find a room, pricing will be ridiculous (for mexico prices), as these dates always have great demand. If you still want to stay near the service park there is a very nice Cityexpress hotel which I think has fixed prices most of the year, (around 80 dolars per night). There is also a hampton inn, but I guess the Holiday Inn and other hotels near by are already fully booked. My choice is Hotel Rex, just next to the main square in Leon, its an old hotel but the top floors have been refurbished recently so they are quite good, prices are really good as well, and its only about 10 minutes away from service. (check out their website http://www.hotelrealrex.com/uno.htm). I find being next to the main square a plus, as there are more things to do and better places to eat at, after a long day at the stages.

About vehicle rental there should be no trouble with that. Budget, Alamo and other companies have agencies in Leon and at the airport and prices for compact cars are quite good, specially if you book in advance. Just beware of the roads, If you can book a small SUV or a Pick Up, you will have a much better rally than with a compact...

As far as I know, pre paid tours are not available in Mexico, during the years I've met people in tours from France, Belgium, Germany and the UK, but none of them with a local company.

My advice would be, fly into leon, rent a car and go for it. The rally guide is quite good and if you have a GPS you will have no trouble finding your way around the stages. The street stage and ceremonial start is in Guanajuato, about an hour away from leon, in the past few years it has been very crowded, and now with a stage running through the historic city and the tunels, my guess is that is that crowds will increase, get there early!

A few tips: plan the stages you want to see with plenty of time in between, some roads can be in quite a bad state so it will take some time to get there.
    Carry plenty of liquids and some food, some stges have taco stands and sell corona, but this is not the rule
    Print a few maps from the rally guide, they are usually quite good
    Buy your tickets for the street stage and service park online, it can be a pain buying them once you arrive.

other than that, hope you have a great rally, enjoy the stages, the food and the beer.

I will be there from thursday to sunday, and will have media accreditation, if you need any help, let me know or PM me.

offtopic: I thought Petter was doing all rounds...??

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Nice job Jonas!
    I think, Mexico Rally is one of the best event in the season!
    rally results every wednesday from almost 100 series: http://www.rallysport.hu